OT Germain Ifedi signs with the Bills

HappyDays

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

If by "analytics sites" you mean PFF, I think they aren't too valid in their abilities to grade OL play, not knowing the specifics of the assignments.  Same for the eyeballs - we can say "Morse got blown up", but was it that Edwards lost his man and should have had help, or that Torrence passed his guy to Morse but shouldn't have?

There are times when Josh/Dorsey come out with a quick passing game, but far more often than not (and under Daboll as well) it seemed they were going for the vertical game.

So yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I go with Greg Cosell, who has watched and interpreted more film than everyone on this site x100.  If he says "average, not better", maybe he knows something.

I like Cosell and if he was projecting 2023, then I agree with "average, not better."   That's my hope anyway: that Beane's additions improve our OL from bad to average.  I'm disappointed Shell retired (I liked having an insurance policy for Brown) but still overall excited that this year's line may be better - though Cosell still worries that "pass protection is a little bit of an issue."

Cosell was not complimentary of our 2022 OL.  He noted, "you don't want to send three receivers against six or seven in coverage," but that, "a lot of times last year, they [the Bills] often had to keep a back and at times a TE in there" to help protect the QB which meant we were sending fewer receivers out.  It's a numbers mistmatch (3/4 receivers versus 6/7 coverage guys) when that happens.   That numbers mismatch helps explain why Allen does sometimes hang onto the ball too long.  It starts with Dorsey's lack of confidence in the OL forcing him to keep extra blockers in.  So, yeah, OL has been a problem.  

www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=greg+cosell+buffalo+bills+offensive+line+average+not+better&mid=5029FCE5CEB7BBC0023F5029FCE5CEB7BBC0023F

I do agree btw that Dorsey has to scheme up and playcall a better quick passing game.  When he sees Allen under siege, I'm not sure why he's calling longer developing plays.  It's puzzling why we don't utilize more screens, RB dump-offs, and slants when pass pro has been a problem and opponents often commit to stopping the deep passing game.    

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

If by "analytics sites" you mean PFF, I think they aren't too valid in their abilities to grade OL play, not knowing the specifics of the assignments.  Same for the eyeballs - we can say "Morse got blown up", but was it that Edwards lost his man and should have had help, or that Torrence passed his guy to Morse but shouldn't have?

There are times when Josh/Dorsey come out with a quick passing game, but far more often than not (and under Daboll as well) it seemed they were going for the vertical game.

So yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree.  I go with Greg Cosell, who has watched and interpreted more film than everyone on this site x100.  If he says "average, not better", maybe he knows something.

I really like Cosell. He doesn't always get things right either. He was glowing after the Shakir pick. Not saying he won't improve but thus far he's underperformed. 

Is average the standard that the Bills are trying to achieve? It's debatable if they were average.  Even so that's just not good enough. Wouldn't you agree? Wouldn't you agree the oline has been problematic in several years of playoff games? 

I'd argue that the "average" oline has contributed to the Bills playoff losses. I think that's reasonable and why Beane shifted his focus to the oline. Hopefully, the moves reap rewards. A solid oline will make the Bills hard to beat. 

17 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I like Cosell and if he was projecting 2023, then I agree with "average, not better."   That's my hope anyway: that Beane's additions improve our OL from bad to average.  I'm disappointed Shell retired (I liked having an insurance policy for Brown) but still overall excited that this year's line may be better - though Cosell still worries that "pass protection is a little bit of an issue."

Cosell was not complimentary of our 2022 OL.  He noted, "you don't want to send three receivers against six or seven in coverage," but that, "a lot of times last year, they [the Bills] often had to keep a back and at times a TE in there" to help protect the QB which meant we were sending fewer receivers out.  It's a numbers mistmatch (3/4 receivers versus 6/7 coverage guys) when that happens.   That numbers mismatch helps explain why Allen does sometimes hang onto the ball too long.  It starts with Dorsey's lack of confidence in the OL forcing him to keep extra blockers in.  So, yeah, OL has been a problem.  

www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=greg+cosell+buffalo+bills+offensive+line+average+not+better&mid=5029FCE5CEB7BBC0023F5029FCE5CEB7BBC0023F

I do agree btw that Dorsey has to scheme up and playcall a better quick passing game.  When he sees Allen under siege, I'm not sure why he's calling longer developing plays.  It's puzzling why we don't utilize more screens, RB dump-offs, and slants when pass pro has been a problem and opponents often commit to stopping the deep passing game.    

I think this year the Bills will utilize quicker short passing game that sets up the deeper ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Ifedi is this year's Ty Nsekhe/Daryl Williams, and that's not a Good Sign for Brown.

For those who don't remember, in 2019 the Bills had rookie Cody Ford starting at RT, but hedged their bets signing journeyman Ty Nsekhe, who only took 1 start but wound up playing 1/3 of the offensive snaps there.  The next year we signed Daryl Williams who quickly won the RT job outright over Ford, Got Paid, and sucked the next season.

Bates has looked decent this preseason by all accounts.  Anderson has taken snaps at C.

Are you suggesting Ifedi takes away time from Spencer?  Just wanted to make sure I was following.

If so, what leads you to believe that?

I'm not expecting that at all, barring injury.

IMO, Spencer (and right side of OL in general) has looked fairly decent/improved in preseason.  Torrence has helped with that.   Actually excited to see the Brown/Torrence combo, in the run game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I honestly don't know much about this guy but on surface seems like a typical bargain basement Beane type of move.

PFF metrics definitely don't inspire confidence though...

You didn't expect an OL on waivers to actually have "Glowing Metrics", if they did why would they get cut?  Every team in this league would love to have to have the problem of being forced to cut an OL with "Glowing Metrics". In fact if an OL was going to be cut with "Glowing Metrics" it would probably be an easy trade before cutdown day because 31 other teams can use this type of depth, or even as a starter....

as for the bargain basement comment see the above sentence.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I really like Cosell. He doesn't always get things right either. He was glowing after the Shakir pick. Not saying he won't improve but thus far he's underperformed. 

Is average the standard that the Bills are trying to achieve? It's debatable if they were average.  Even so that's just not good enough. Wouldn't you agree? Wouldn't you agree the oline has been problematic in several years of playoff games? 

I'd argue that the "average" oline has contributed to the Bills playoff losses. I think that's reasonable and why Beane shifted his focus to the oline. Hopefully, the moves reap rewards. A solid oline will make the Bills hard to beat. 

I think this year the Bills will utilize quicker short passing game that sets up the deeper ball. 

This is a great point.   When you're aiming for a Lombardi, you can't settle for an average OL.  The OL is too important.  

A good/great OL will give Josh more time to throw and receivers to get open; won't necessitate us keeping RBs and TEs in to block; will keep Josh healthy; will allow us to run the ball when we need to run (bad weather, killing the clock), and so on.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is a great point.   When you're aiming for a Lombardi, you can't settle for an average OL.  The OL is too important.  

A good/great OL will give Josh more time to throw and receivers to get open; won't necessitate us keeping RBs and TEs in to block; will keep Josh healthy; will allow us to run the ball when we need to run (bad weather, killing the clock), and so on.  

Bingo!

Not sure why some refuse to understand this? 

Not sure why some take offense to Bills fans criticizing the oline? Beane? 

Not sure why some feel that criticizing the Bills equates to being less of a fan? 

Nevertheless, Hondo very good post. I agree 100 percent. 

26 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

As well having a good/great offensive line makes all the qbs on team better.  So if a game is in hand letting Josh sit and letting the backup do mop up duty  does allow a better evaluation of said backup as well.   Frank Reich had numerous games started when Jim was hurt and while many fans still proffered Jim to be playing, there was ŕarely much panic  (least for fans I interacted with back then).  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Is McGovern health enough to start at LG?  And if not, is it going to be Edwards with Torrance at RG?  Bates is the backup center.  Can anyone tell me how he has looked this preseason?  Can Anderson play Center as well? 

I agree 10 O lineman seems like a lot.  But Anderson looked good against Chicago.  Is Ifedi better then Spencer Brown?  If so, get him in at starting RT.

I do wonder if Ifedi will be favored over Brown and those dynamics within OBD

Expecting Brown to start. But how quick does Kromer get him up to speed ? Will they rotate the new guy in for game day reps.

is this just to replace Tommy Doyle or truly push Brown ?

I sure want Spencer to succeed. 

but

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I will be super disappointed if Anderson gets released in favor of keeping an extra special teamer.  Do NOT make this mistake again Beane, you’ve got 2-3 super talented OL prospects who will immediately get scooped up by other teams if the Bills try to sneak them through waivers.  The right approach for the future is to make sure we keep them.

The horror of Wyatt Teller lives yet still !

But yea I agree

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

^ they sure as f better

Screens checkdowns flare outs dumps to the HB curls yep all that

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree a great OL would make the Bills a tough out. I am a believer of you win in the trenches. Last year the OL was horrible and they went on to win 13 games. So what we are hoping is that the OL climbing 10 spots into the average range of the league will be enough to hold it down all the way to a Super Bowl run. I still want to continue to draft and build that line going forward . This season we have what we have. Hopefully it's average to above average and not awful like last season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Why? Beane was in Carolina for a while. As we get farther away from his time there we will most likely see less players from there but he was a part of building the Panthers so he knows and likes some of the players.

The Giants have a lot of our former front office guys and coaches. They most likely look for similar qualities as the Bills.

Happens everywhere sports or not.

this is one of the dumbest takes around. Yeah, duh, I understand HOW he’s connected to panthers and giants. But it’s a multi billion dollar business. You don’t just pick your next door neighbor OR drunk uncle to do cancer surgery. You find the best available that you can afford. If it’s your neighbor or uncle? Great. I would hope you are looking wider than that!!!

• Vomit 1

8 hours ago, Since1981 said:

this is one of the dumbest takes around. Yeah, duh, I understand HOW he’s connected to panthers and giants. But it’s a multi billion dollar business. You don’t just pick your next door neighbor OR drunk uncle to do cancer surgery. You find the best available that you can afford. If it’s your neighbor or uncle? Great. I would hope you are looking wider than that!!!

Lmfao thanks for making your posts the actual dumbest takes around. Germain never played for Carolina neither did kirksey so what are you crying about? He's not picking from random drunk uncles or neighbors he's picking from the former hospital he worked at or a hospital someone he trained now runs.

We also have this thing called a salary cap. Not quite sure if you know what that is. It's a cap on the amount you can pay your team. Yes there's ways around it but you can only kick the can so much. 

What do you think we did? Where are we finding better players on cut down day?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

With the way the NFL is structured you cannot have All Pros at every spot on the O line.  But that is what it appears people want.  Morse is solid at C, the two new guys at G are significant upgrades, Dawkins has always been a decent LT, and Brown comes in for his third year injury free so we get a better chance to see what he can do.

As for Ifidi everyone was screaming that we needed a veteran backup T, Beane gets one,  and now everyone screams he’s not good enough.  Do you think you were going to get a Pro Bowl quality guy after roster cuts?  

Too many fans live in a world of delusion.  I believe in building from the inside out.   I would criticize Beane for not getting Humphrey instead of Boogie.  But the really good tackles go way before where we’ve been drafting.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 hours ago, 4th&long said:

Allowed 4 sacks and had 9 penalties in his two years at Chicago. 25 games played with 23 starts. 

I mean... Fields was sacked 91 times the last 2 years.  Sack percentages of 11.8 and 14.7 which is in a word... bad.  He clearly holds the ball longer than most.  

Before that it was some combination of Foles and Trubisky

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Probably about the same.  Ifedi replaces shell.   Maybe MLB would have been a little better with kirksey.  

Kirksey would not have played preseason or camp due to injury .

Glad Beane picked up both. But not delighted. More need and insurance than surefire upgrades.

Time of the year to fill holes :(

45 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Kirksey would not have played preseason or camp due to injury .

Glad Beane picked up both. But not delighted. More need and insurance than surefire upgrades.

Time of the year to fill holes :(

Kirksey is by far the 2nd best LB on the team. 

He is also best friends with Micah Hyde and buddies with Poyer. They all played together

Dodson has no business taking the field and Bernard has not shown anything to warrant starting

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3

On 8/30/2023 at 12:12 PM, Beck Water said:

Ifedi is this year's Ty Nsekhe/Daryl Williams, and that's not a Good Sign for Brown.

For those who don't remember, in 2019 the Bills had rookie Cody Ford starting at RT, but hedged their bets signing journeyman Ty Nsekhe, who only took 1 start but wound up playing 1/3 of the offensive snaps there.  The next year we signed Daryl Williams who quickly won the RT job outright over Ford, Got Paid, and sucked the next season.

Bates has looked decent this preseason by all accounts.  Anderson has taken snaps at C.

Thanks for some O line updates.  That's right Daryl Williams had one good year at RT.  There have not been many in the last two decades.  

16 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Thanks for some O line updates.  That's right Daryl Williams had one good year at RT.  There have not been many in the last two decades.  

I never new why Williams fell so hard the second year. I was really pleased with his work at RT first year.

And lets Keep in mind Kirksey may not be healthy yet, This could get interesting by Monday night !
Glad they got Ifedi though, Good depth, maybe worse but maybe better.

Brown scares me sorry to say :(

Cover one did a pretty good break down on this kid

Not perfect, but not bad for a back up right tackle

4 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

For some reason that position has been a problem for us we have not found someone to be just locked into it like Dawkins

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I never new why Williams fell so hard the second year. I was really pleased with his work at RT first year.

And lets Keep in mind Kirksey may not be healthy yet, This could get interesting by Monday night !
Glad they got Ifedi though, Good depth, maybe worse but maybe better.

Brown scares me sorry to say :(

I agree about Brown.  He just has not shown a consistency to his game, that a starting NFL O lineman should have.  The game does not look easy for him.  If he falters early, hopefully the Bills are not afraid to sit his butt down, and let Ifedi play.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.