Your opinion of starters playing a quarter and a half gainst Pittsburgh?

steven50

McDermott said Allen and the rest of the starters will play for about a quarter and a half.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-preview-josh-allen-starters-stefon-diggs-kenny-pickett

I really want other peoples opinions on the pros and cons of the starters playing that much. I am not saying I object but It kind of surprised me.

5 minutes ago, steven50 said:

McDermott said Allen and the rest of the starters will play for about a quarter and a half.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-vs-pittsburgh-steelers-preseason-preview-josh-allen-starters-stefon-diggs-kenny-pickett

I really want other peoples opinions on the pros and cons of the starters playing that much. I am not saying I object but It kind of surprised me.

completely against it but I’m one of those that want to see preseason games eliminated altogether.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m all for them playing a quarter and a half. 

17 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I don’t really want Allen playing after the beat down he put on them last year. I am afraid they will want some pay back and take some cheap shots even tho it’s preseason.

Tomlin will not allow that.

I’m not any more worried about injuries tomorrow than I am when they practice, or play a pre-season, regular season or playoff game.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I've been on record not a single starter should take a single snap in preseason. Zero reward. All risk. I wouldn't play any of them at all. Let the roster bottom feeders fight for their jobs. 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

It’s football. They have to get some live reps before the season. 

No they don't. Covid proved they did not.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

I like the starters playing to get the rust out under semi-real game conditions. But I want the players, especially Allen, to play smart and avoid hits at the expense of a negative play. Throw away the ball, dont run, go down fast - anything to avoid a hard tackle or hit. There are players on the other team looking to make the roster and dont care if they bring the hurt on the opposition. Be cognizant of that and protect your body. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is part of Josh growing up and learning to be smart. I pray no designed QB runs, and he tosses the ball away before anybody gets in his zip code. 

I don’t mind a little “live action” before it really counts against the Jets. JUST BE SMART! Heroics are for playoffs. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, steven50 said:

Honestly, this debate happens every preseason.  

IMHO, we have a tough week 1 game, I want our starters to get some real reps in before that game.  We have a lot of new pieces on offense especially, and that takes time to gel.  Our OL has new pieces, we have a new lead RB, we have new receivers, etc.  Plus its only Dorsey's second season, so the offense is still evolving, they need real reps, not just practice reps.  

For me, its a big thumbs up as I want them sharp come week 1.  This is an important game because it will be the worst version of this Jets team as it will have no time with Rodgers yet, and as I just mentioned that can take time.  They will be more in their groove when we face them the 2nd time, so its important we win this first game IMHO.  

Of course our season isnt over if we lose, but its definitely one that would be good for us to win being its a divisional opponent who is expected to be a tough team this season.

Edited by Alphadawg7

It's tough because the games don't seem important or beneficial, and you certainly don't want any injuries to occur. You also want the backups to get as much reps as they can and those fringe guys to get as many opportunities as possible in order to win a job. On the other hand, the offense and Josh Allen..AND I JIZZED IN MY PANTS!

I’m good with it. Always a risk of injury. Some Colts Wr just tore his Acl in practice. It really comes down to what you value as important.

I personally think Monday Night Football is going to be a heck of a tough game to start. I’d rather have the guys have a bit of game action. I see value in a couple drives.. 

Trevor Lawrence seems to find it beneficial as he mentions the practices and joint stuff just don’t simulate game speed, good to get the offense into a flow. 

Just now, HOUSE said:

Nice try but......I DON'T BELIEVE YOU

I do! I see it as a win/win scenario. When starters play against backups and third-stringers, they can practice routes, scenarios and techniques in a more forgiving environment, allowing for targeted improvement without facing top-tier opposition. This helps in skill development and confidence building. On the other hand, if they perform poorly, it highlights weaknesses that need to be addressed, giving the team an opportunity to recognize and work on these areas before the regular season begins. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, twist_to_open said:

First game that counts will be against a division rival, gotta knock the rust off at some point. Be nice if TJ Watt didn't play and hope the Pittsburgh's turf isn't one that's prone to injuries,

They've been practicing for a while now. They are not rusty. Just another cliche

21 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I do! I see it as a win/win scenario. When starters play against backups and third-stringers, they can practice routes, scenarios and techniques in a more forgiving environment, allowing for targeted improvement without facing top-tier opposition. This helps in skill development and confidence building. On the other hand, if they perform poorly, it highlights weaknesses that need to be addressed, giving the team an opportunity to recognize and work on these areas before the regular season begins. 

isn't that what camp is for?

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

completely against it but I’m one of those that want to see preseason games eliminated altogether.

So 2 questions:

Do you believe preseason games to serve any purpose at all?

How do you go about evaluating the talent on your team? Practice?

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

They've been practicing for a while now. They are not rusty. Just another cliche

isn't that what camp is for?

Training Camp is to install systems, get better and improve timing and technical scheme issues. Preseason games are to get smiley face stickers for staying healthy. A bit of live speed is good, intentionally dangerous is silly. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hate the thought of it.

It only takes a random mishap of an over-amped opposing player (TJ Watt?) to do something stupid that would impact our season.

I'm with JoPoy88 in that preseason games should be eliminated.

Let's go Buffalo!

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Based on our offense last year and Dorsey’s need for improvement I think it is a good idea.  We have system and personnel changes we need to work on. 

Probably the best all around explanation for getting the starters real game  work in. Also, that will be the last time the starters in the skill positions see the field before they play  the Jets. Maybe if they look pedestrian they’ll get a series.

1 hour ago, Manther said:

Based on our offense last year and Dorsey’s need for improvement I think it is a good idea.  We have system and personnel changes we need to work on. 

Probably the best all around explanation for getting the starters real game  work in. Also, that will be the last time the starters in the skill positions see the field before they play  the Jets. Maybe if they look pedestrian they’ll get a series.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

But but but teams don’t show any plays in preseason that they’ll run the first quarter of the season.  I would agree that the OL should benefit from extended time.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.