Our starting OTs and their depth is concerning. Hopefully a trade is looming.

Tipster19

Between Brown’s play and his health history, he’s who immediately worry about but Dawkins don’t make me warm and fuzzy either. I’ll admit that past those two I really don’t know what’s or what we got concerning this position. I’m seeing some articles about Cleveland having a surplus of OTs and some are rumoring that OT James Hudson III may become available. The little I read about him he seems to be an intriguing prospect. Any suggestions regarding this state of affairs is welcomed, maybe some of you know who would be a good addition for us, I think that we might need some help here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

Why would the Browns trade Hudson? He has been starting in Conklin's absence in pre-season. I know a few people are giddy about Dawand Jones against 2nd and 3rd teamers but Hudson remains clearly above him in the eyes of the Cleveland staff.

They won't be giving him away.

• Like (+1) 1

If you're looking for help at a position going into the season from the outside good luck getting it at offensive tackle.  I think the Bills are frustratingly content with what they have on the roster so I don't see a Kelvin Beachum like trade happening.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you're looking for help at a position going into the season from the outside good luck getting it at offensive tackle.  I think the Bills are frustratingly content with what they have on the roster so I don't see a Kelvin Beachum like trade happening.

I like that idea more than Hudson. But I agree don't see it. 

• Agree 2

So you are "really concerned" about our depth, but admit you have no idea who they are?  Is that worth making a thread about?

"Guys, I don't know the first thing about the socioeconomic situation in Argentina, but I'm really concerned about if their adherence to the Gregorian calendar affects their ability to service underprivileged youth during holidays and I felt everyone needed to know that."

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

So you are "really concerned" about our depth, but admit you have no idea who they are?  Is that worth making a thread about?

"Guys, I don't know the first thing about the socioeconomic situation in Argentina, but I'm really concerned about if their adherence to the Gregorian calendar affects their ability to service underprivileged youth during holidays and I felt everyone needed to know that."

I can see subtlety and kindness are not your strong suits. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

It's pretty rare to have good starters at every single position. I don't think it is the case for any team in the NFL, including the Chiefs, Bengals, and any other good team out there.

And there will always be one or two positions of concern for the Bills, no matter what. That is just how it is in the NFL. There will be strengths and weaknesses for every team.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

"Guys, I don't know the first thing about the socioeconomic situation in Argentina, .........."

Prodigious inflation, political turmoil and an unstable currency, but nice weather, great fishing and really cool Andes mountains.

I think the Hudson trade idea started with this Bleacher Report article  on trade ideas. I don’t see the Browns moving him unless they got an outstanding offer. He’s been their swing tackle and comes in as a TE in heavy formations. While Jones has taken over the backup RT spot, Hudson is the only player on the team - other than the starter Wills - that has experience at LT. The Browns won’t want to open that hole up on the roster. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, MJS said:

It's pretty rare to have good starters at every single position. I don't think it is the case for any team in the NFL, including the Chiefs, Bengals, and any other good team out there.

And there will always be one or two positions of concern for the Bills, no matter what. That is just how it is in the NFL. There will be strengths and weaknesses for every team.

It just so happens this particular weakness is the second most important position on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

Quessenberry, Anderson, VandeMark, Doyle...and a couple others. I think  Beane waits for cuts and looks for T depth. If he does make a trade, what do you think he could get for Lawson?

They could probably get me.  I’m sure my wife would trade me for Shaq.  He’s got $

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Prodigious inflation, political turmoil and an unstable currency, but nice weather, great fishing and really cool Andes mountains.

And seriously good beef, but in my opinion not as good as is found in Sao Paolo.  But I digress.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If they were content, I don't think they would have signed Shell if the offseason. 

With Shell's sudden retirement, I imagine they are discontent - as they should be.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Of course, this is true.  But if you have Lombardi aspirations, I think you want a better OL than the one you have right now.

Josh Allen is both the most expensive player on the field and the most valuable.  He needs a capable bodyguard.  I wasn't hoping for a good OL this year, merely an average one.  With our OTs, I question if we can even attain mediocrity.  And if Dawkins gets hurt...  well, that's a frightening thought.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Oh my, even more “concern” what ever shall we do…, 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, I'd love it if the Bills got more depth at tackle, but I doubt it's coming.  

There's a reason the Bills are choosing from 10 receivers for six or seven spots.  There's a reason the Bills are deep at running back.   And there's a reason why the Bills don't have great depth at offensive tackle.   The reasons are the league is deep at receiver, the league is deep at running back, the league is not deep at offensive tackle.  

It's in the nature of the evolution of the game.  The NFL has changed the rules, to make it easier for offensive linemen to block, and it's still really tough to keep the defenders off the QBs.  The defenders are just too good.  Every team wants edge rushers, because edge rushers can get to the QB. 

I've tinkered in my head about radical change, like making offensive holding legal.  The league's gone part of the way there already, letting the linemen put their hands all over defenders, but it's still not enough.  Journeymen tackles get eaten alive by edge rushers.  

So, yeah, get me all the depth you can at tackle.  In fact, I think the Bills' starting tackles is one of the weaker positions on the team, so don't just get me depth; get me one or two better starters.   Good luck with that - all the good tackles in the draft are gone before the spot where the Bills pick, and just about every quality tackle in the league gets paid by his team, so they don't hit the free agent market.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Of course, this is true.  But if you have Lombardi aspirations, I think you want a better OL than the one you have right now.

Josh Allen is both the most expensive player on the field and the most valuable.  He needs a capable bodyguard.  I wasn't hoping for a good OL this year, merely an average one.  With our OTs, I question if we can even attain mediocrity.  And if Dawkins gets hurt...  well, that's a frightening thought.  

The problem with this is that you acknowledge and then ignore the wisdom in the post you quoted.   The point of that post is that you can't be strong at every position.  The cap and the draft assure that.  

So, you say, essentially, "I agree with that but offensive line is too important."   If the Bills had neglected the edge over the past five seasons, you'd say, "I agree with that but rushing the passer is too important."  "I agree with that but #2 corner is too important."

The whole point of what you quoted is that teams have to balance needs and allocate talent as well as they can.   The Bills allocated resources to the interior of the offensive line this year, and it should have a real impact on the team's performance.  The reality is that players have to step and do their jobs.  All the players, the best of them and the others.  

And, sure, we can all worry about Brown's back or Dion going down.  We can worry about Miller's knee not holding up, Josh's elbow, Micah's neck, and Diggs's ego.   We can worry about everything.  

Absent serious injuries, I think the Bills offense is going to be great this season.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

"Frustratingly content" pretty much sums up our OL in the last 5 years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Is there an unwritten thread quota that I am unaware of?

It’s obvious Beane’s strategy was to upgrade the interior O-line, and he did. If the pressure is coming from the outside, Josh can dodge it and he’s one of the best at improvising outside the structure of the play. Dawkins is solid at LT as much as some like to bust him. Given the lack of competent tackle talent in the league relative to its demand, you have to pick your poison. Would I love 2 all pro bookends at tackle? Of course, but that’s not realistic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Okay already! I can take the less than subtle hint. For heaven’s sakes….I’ll play!

Now, where did I put Beane’s phone number? And my tube of Ben Gay. 

You don't need Beane's phone number to speak to him.

Just drop by the places where Beane frequents to look for Offensive Line personnel....Duff's, Anchor Bar, Gabriel's Gate, etc.

Any fat slob will do in Beane's mind.

https://gabriels-gate.weeblyte.com/

https://duffswings.com/

• Like (+1) 1

I think they have too much faith in Brown. Not just his play but ability to stay healthy. Bad play at RT will lead to TE and RB helping in pass protection. Or Dorsey will need to utilize more quick throws and dump offs to RB’s, etc.   Will mean less Diggs with the ball in his hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Im sorry but Beane needs to start playing Madden Franchise mode with the Bills

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I think the Hudson trade idea started with this Bleacher Report article  on trade ideas. I don’t see the Browns moving him unless they got an outstanding offer. He’s been their swing tackle and comes in as a TE in heavy formations. While Jones has taken over the backup RT spot, Hudson is the only player on the team - other than the starter Wills - that has experience at LT. The Browns won’t want to open that hole up on the roster. 

Hudson has been starting at RT for Conklin.

Offensive lineman depth across the entire league is terrible at the moment. Scrubs like Bobby Hart keep getting contracts. The only solution would have been spending more draft capital on o-line, because nobody is giving up their good depth. In the top 3 rounds over the past 5 drafts we've taken Torrence in the 2nd, Brown in the 3rd and Ford in the 2nd.

An argument could be made that we should have been taking depth OL players instead of depth LBers in the 3rd round recently.

• Like (+1) 1

Teams don’t just trade away quality Tackle depth. 

Even if this year was the anomaly, almost every team in the NFL is in the situation we’re in .. some don’t even have quality and/or potential in one, or both, of their starting Tackles. 

To get a legit swing tackle/tackle depth, I guess a player swap could make sense for a team that ends up desperate at a position?  

How high of a pick would anyone be willing to go for a backup tackle?

Would you be willing to trade someone like AJE, Boogie, Dane Jackson or Khalil Shakir?  Tackle is a premium position, in a player swap, a team would probably only do this if they are also desperate at a different premium position… EDGE, WR, CB. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

The problem with this is that you acknowledge and then ignore the wisdom in the post you quoted.   The point of that post is that you can't be strong at every position.  The cap and the draft assure that.  

So, you say, essentially, "I agree with that but offensive line is too important."   If the Bills had neglected the edge over the past five seasons, you'd say, "I agree with that but rushing the passer is too important."  "I agree with that but #2 corner is too important."

The whole point of what you quoted is that teams have to balance needs and allocate talent as well as they can.   The Bills allocated resources to the interior of the offensive line this year, and it should have a real impact on the team's performance.  The reality is that players have to step and do their jobs.  All the players, the best of them and the others.  

And, sure, we can all worry about Brown's back or Dion going down.  We can worry about Miller's knee not holding up, Josh's elbow, Micah's neck, and Diggs's ego.   We can worry about everything.  

Absent serious injuries, I think the Bills offense is going to be great this season.

First of all, I agree with you that the Bills will still have a good season.  And I have not given up on the SB.  In fact, I probably consider our chances somewhat better than last year.  

But as far as having your cake and eating it too...  Obviously, it's a challenge to build a good roster with the constraints of the salary cap.  But if I could change just one of Beane's choices, it would be the signing of Von Miller.  As much as I like Von, I think that money could have been better spent elsewhere - like on the offensive line. 

Considering your avatar, I know I'm preaching to the choir when I say the OL is that important.  A good OL would create holes for our backs which would make our offense more multifaceted and dangerous (and more potent on bad weather days).  It would give more time for Josh to throw which would give the receivers more time to get open.  And, importantly, it would protect Josh from injury.  

I'm not whining about MLB or WR#2 or RB#1 or our other roster shortfalls.  Just OL.  I think it should be a bigger priority.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.