Why is Tyrod Taylor not more revered in the Bills fan base?

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Taylor has a 5.7 yards per carry career stat line (same as Allen.)Cam Newton averages 5 even. Vick is 7. So I think that puts him on that list. 

No.

Allen has 76 starts in 5 years

Vick has 115 starts in 13 years

Cam has 144 starts in 11 years

Tryhard has 53 starts in 12 years.

Not exactly apples to apples comparison. The body of work just isn't there.

• Like (+1) 2

My favorite performance was his running ability in the 2015 game against the Titans.  I know he converted on some 3rd and longs just with his legs.  It broke that Titans losing streak as well going back to 2000.  That and a game that same year against the Cowboys where he converted on like a 3rd and 8 play with his legs with some pretty nifty movies to keep the drive going and ice that game.  The win was meaningless that year but it still felt good to beat the Cowboys.  

Tyrod was all right for what he was a solid backup/bridge QB.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Taylor did that for 3 seasons as a starter for his whole career.  5.7 is Daniel Jones level stuff—does he remind you of Vick and Newton as well?

come on. TT tan around a lot because he couldn’t go through progressions and took off as soon as he saw his first option was covered. 

That's not true. It's a common narrative but it's not how he played. It's true he didn't take chances but he moved around behind the LOS quite a bit looking to make throws downfield. He was far too risk averse but he was not quick to leave the pocket. He had several designed runs per game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

He was just average as a starting QB. His NFL career path as a backup and journeyman should be argument enough.  He’s never been a top tier QB. Maybe not even in the top 4 tiers. 
He was a retread from another team, so he didn’t even have the love from Bills mafia afforded a draft hopeful with high expectations.
A truly decent hard working guy and good teammate by all accounts, but he appeared a bit reserved, or even shy, so that may have prevented him from getting embraced by the Bills’ fan base in the same manner as the personable Ryan Fitzpatrick, who made no secret of his enduring affinity for WNY and the fans.

That’s why he’s not more revered. 

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Nobody hates him. He was welcomed to the Bills and everyone was excited about his success.

It was also obvious he wasn't a Franchise QB.

He played for 9 years outside of Buffalo and never threw for 1,000 yards in a season for any other team.

Buffalo, however, loved him and made the most of his talents. He was fun to watch, but never good enough to be like the guy we currently have ... which is what you're always looking for. I'm glad we didn't settle with Tyrod for another 10 years instead of shooting to be a perennial top 5 offense like we are now.

Yes. Same with Doug Flutie. Yet, Flutie is was more revered among Bills fans

43 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

No.

Allen has 76 starts in 5 years

Vick has 115 starts in 13 years

Cam has 144 starts in 11 years

Tryhard has 53 starts in 12 years.

Not exactly apples to apples comparison. The body of work just isn't there.

Yea, but I would consider Josh Allen an all time dual threat QB if he retired tomorrow and he only has 76 starts. 

Many here have commented about his mixed, average career in Buffalo. 

Just look at his 4 teams in 5 years since leaving Buffalo... there's a definite MEH track record there.

He's just meh. That's why Bill fans don't revere him.

I’m not sure how much you can revere a guy who was benched at separate times for Cardale Jones and Nathan Peterman. I mean that’s a pretty dubious indictment of his abilities lol

That being said Tyrod was a good guy and had some real highlight moments. Being part of the team that broke the drought means I’d be shocked if he ever has to buy his own drinks when there’s a Bills fan around 🍺 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The only person who welcomed him, loved him, or was the least bit excited about him was Rex Ryan. 

Tyrod Taylor’s greatest accomplishment was somehow garnering a 3rd round pick from the idiot Browns. 

Pure trash. 

“Pure trash.” 

Proves the point of my thread and the hate he receives for no reason. 

10 minutes ago, boater said:

Many here have commented about his mixed, average career in Buffalo. 

Just look at his 4 teams in 5 years since leaving Buffalo... there's a definite MEH track record there.

He's just meh. That's why Bill fans don't revere him.

Let’s be fair. Injuries have plagued him after Buffalo. 

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Omg. This thread...

He had one of the best deep balls in the league. He was limited in lots of areas but that's the one part of his passing game that was excellent.

And he was on the money every time he threw it.  Twice a season.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I never ever understood the hate for Tyrod Taylor. He was a dynamic athlete that defenses had to properly game plan against and played a big role in breaking the 17 year drought. I think he is one of the better dual threats of all time and it’s cool seeing the contrast between TT and Allen as runners. Why is he not a bigger part of Bills’ lore? He got done what a **** load of previous QBs couldn’t. It’s not like Losman, Bledsoe, or Fitz didn’t have good defenses too. So I really don’t wanna hear how the defense alone propelled us there. It was also Tyrod’s legs and low turnover rate + big play ability as well. 

Because he was no where good enough to be “revered.” He was servicable. He did some things well. Other things, not so much.

I mean, why isn’t Chris Kelsay revered? What are we even asking here?

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm mostly upset he never mentioned we were mispronouncing his name for 3 years

Yeah, but I thought the Doc sticking a needle in his lung was a bit much in terms of punishment. 

We all know he could be frustrating, but as I recall he bet on himself to come to the Bills, taking less money for a shot at starting. I tend to like guys who bet on themselves and then let their play speak for itself. The guy made about $70 Million, so I can’t feel too bad for him. 

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Because he was no where good enough to be “revered.” He was servicable. He did some things well. Other things, not so much.

You clearly have not seen my Chris Kelsey shrine.   🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

Interestingly, for all his short comings, he had the best deep ball of any QB I have seen in a Bills uniform, which goes back to Kelly. Also was (until Josh) the best runner we ever had at QB. That was enough to do some things. But his ability to hit intermediate throws and make downfield reads was his demise. It felt like for about 20+ years until Josh we just didn’t have a guy that could hit a 15 yard dig or shallow post. Taylor is a good dude. I see him in a very positive light, but ranking him is probably somewhere around Trent Edwards or JP Losman area all things considered. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 3

Because the Bills were coming off a history of forcing backup caliber QBs into starter roles:

2-years of JP Losman

3-years of Trent Edwards

3-years of Ryan Fitzpatrick

A desperate draft pick in EJ Manuel. 

So yes, Tyrod was better than those players, but 200 yards, 1 TD, 0 Interceptions is not good enough to really win games. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

58 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

“Pure trash.” 

No reason. 

- Divided the locker room.

- Horrible on and off the field. 
- Pulled the race card instead of taking accountability. 

Yep. Trash. Garbage. Good riddance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Capco said:

Ironically, I was just thinking about this yesterday.  Granted, the league wasn't as pass-friendly in the 80s and 90s as it is today, but Tyrod has a higher career passer rating (88.2) than Jim Kelly (84.4).  His passer rating during his three years as a Bill was 92.5, and he only committed 21 turnovers (16 INTs, 5 lost fumbles).

He almost broke the record for the highest single season passer rating by a Bills QB in his first year as a starter (99.6 vs Kelly's 101.2 in 1990), and I believe that season counts as the third-highest passer rating in team history (behind Kelly in 1990 and Allen in 2020).

I'm surprised no one cracked a shot at this post from page 1.

• Thank you (+1) 1

“Pure trash.” 

Except not everyone “hates on” him though. In fact that’s probably a small minority of Bills fans. But there’s a lot of middle ground that you conveniently ignore between saying TT’s trash and you wondering aloud about his lack of adoration and him being one of the best dual threat QBs. He wasn’t. Never will be. He was a marginal starter with a plus running game and good deep ball. That’s it. 

• Agree 1

He’s an exceptional athlete that plays entirely too conservatively.  He could have been one of the better QBs in the league IF he would have made a throw with anticipation and not wait for everything to be perfect.  He won’t.  So he is what he is, a really good back-up with a very limited ceiling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I always thought a crack-the-code way to win the Super Bowl would be to spend 90 percent on D including two franchise pass rushers. You have Tyrod not turn it over on the cheap. Then you bring in Chan to run his rub route playbook to manufacture 22 points a game without any talent.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm mostly upset he never mentioned we were mispronouncing his name for 3 years

This is one of my favorites. 

That moron said his name was pronounced TuhROD. 

Then people posted videos of his family the night he was drafted, clearly calling him TYrod. 

Just another legend in his own feeble mind. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

The reason why he had a low turnover rate was that he would do the bare minimum to push the ball down the field! He was obviously more interested in his stats instead of winning games. 

Case in point... Josh Allen tied his Bills mark for 4th quarter comebacks in just 16 games started. It took Tyrod three full seasons just to get 5, and our 2018 team was one of the worst total offensive skill position teams in years.

Tyrod didn't win a majority of those games... he played not to lose and it's why he didn't do much of anything after he left.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

I don’t ever see much hate for Tyrod.  Good dude, decent qb who didn’t take risks but wouldn’t lose you games with boneheaded plays.  He had the physical tools to be great imo but seemed hesitant to take risks to win games.  Just my two cents.  One of the better qbs we had during the drought

He’d be the perfect backup QB for us.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's not true. It's a common narrative but it's not how he played. It's true he didn't take chances but he moved around behind the LOS quite a bit looking to make throws downfield. He was far too risk averse but he was not quick to leave the pocket. He had several designed runs per game.

he didn’t have nearly the called runs Allen does.  He wasn’t a good passer.  He had a well earned rep as skittish pocket in the pocket.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I agree.  Sort of. 

Tyrod was a good guy and he helped end the drought.  I'm thankful.

But he was a lackluster passer who would never take us far in the playoffs.  

Josh overshadows TT and makes him forgettable because Josh is such a better passer who brings the level of hope and excitement to a whole new level.  

• Like (+1) 1

This thread is another symptom of the mindset "QB gets credited for everything," regardless of good or bad. 

To say "Tyrod got us to the playoffs" feels dirty.

He will always have my thanks for contributing to that, but leading the league's 1st or 2nd worst passing offense for years doesn't quite feel worthy of crediting him for sneaking into the playoffs, especially when it ultimately came down to a crazy upset that even made it possible. 

5 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

He should be more respected than Fitz, but Fitzy has way more personality. 

I have nothing but appreciation for Tyrod Taylor, a dude who gave us a few awesome years and played way above his talent level. 

More respected than Fitzpatrick in what way, exactly?

If anyone played above his talent level, it was Fitz. 

Taylor sucked at everything except … well, nothing.  He sucked at everything. 

Fitz was a mediocre QB, and a stellar man on and off the field. 

Taylor doesn’t even belong in the same sentence as Fitz. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I can't be sure what we are asking but I'm damn sure you just NAILED IT

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.