McDermott & Beane Extended Through 2027

BritBill

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

There go the people who thought they were on the hot seat which I found laughable.

Even the media speculated McDermott could be on the hot seat if the Bills suffered another playoff disappointment. It's understandable the fans would feel the same way. But the only opinion that count's is Terry's and he sees it differently.

• Agree 1

Makes plenty of sense they've put out a highly competitive team the last 3-4 years, that kind of consistency is hard to find in the NFL. In the end only one team wins the Super Bowl and only two teams even get to go, it's a hell of a thing they're trying to pull off.

Just because the Bills haven't won a Lombardi under McDermott & Beane it doesn't mean they haven't got the Bills where they need to be to meet their internal goals. Goals set by Pegula which have been met to trigger the extension. 

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You can also throw in that with the new stadium,  stability getting into it might be on everyone's mind as well.

Yep, agree. And probably, sad to say, Kim's health too. Not sure Terry is for ripping up the stability he has with the Bills unless he really has to with all the other factors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

What a joke. This clown literally stole a potential super bowl from the team with that epic choke job in KC a couple of years ago and people still bow at his feet. He should have been fired on the spot right then and there.

The drought really has scarred many of you from dreaming big. We lucked into the most naturally gifted QB in the league. The bare minimum should be a playoff spot.

Clapmaster 2000 is the weakest link on this team. I had wished ownership could have seen this even if the pompom waving crowd couldn't.

Edited by QB Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

31 out of 32 teams end the season without a Superbowl and are disappointed. Half of those never even had a chance because they miss the playoffs completely.  I want a Superbowl as much as anyone.  I believe these guys can do it and can't wait till it happens.  Congratulations to both of them.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

What a joke. This clown literally stole a potential super bowl from the team with that epic choke job in KC a couple of years ago and people still bow at his feet. He should have been fired on the spot right then and there.

The drought really has scarred many of you from dreaming big. We lucked into the most naturally gifted QB in the league. The bare minimum should be a playoff spot.

Clapmaster 2000 is the weakest link on this team. I had wished ownership could have seen this even if the pompom waving crowd couldn't.

Are you the love child between Einstein and Airseven?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha this is the type of comment I came I to the thread to read!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Are you the love child between Einstein and Airseven?

6 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Nice gesture by Pegula. But according to the Cardinals, these extensions aren’t iron clad commitments…thankfully.

Case in point

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep, agree. And probably, sad to say, Kim's health too. Not sure Terry is for ripping up the stability he has with the Bills unless he really has to with all the other factors. 

Excellent, albeit sad, points well...

Could Pegula find somebody better? Sure.

Would he? Ehhhh…..

The Bills have been Super Bowl favorites for some time. It would be a bold move to risk that status with a new hire. We’ve seen Terry be bold with the Sabres. I guess maybe he is due to get a bold decision right, but sheesh, that’s terrifying. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Yes that's the "well run" organization we should emulate. 

Emulate? The point is that these extensions are gestures not commitments as previously exemplified around the league. McDermott and Beane don’t have a multi-year free pass if the team continues to sputter. 

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 6

39 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

They’re a top 5 combination in the league. Not one GM or HC is without flaws. 

It’s just fatigue from the fan base - happens everywhere. Grass is always greener or something like that. 

If they’re a top 5 combo then they routinely underperform their own capabilities by flailing in the round of 8.

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

This is going to be an unpopular take. But the timing is interesting. Could it be a message from ownership to the players, especially the black players. The GM and coach are my guys, you are a player aka the staff and need to know your place. Diggs speaking up and challenging the coach and GM stirred the pot. So Pegula needs to show that he stands with them. Who knows maybe some of the character guys talk bothers players. It can be viewed as a certain way to some of the black players. It was interesting in the comments around this extension, specifically calling out being a good Christian, etc. 

Dude what are you talking about?? How is your first thought about this a race thing?

• Thank you (+1) 3

I think stability at this point is a good thing. This could be their rockiest season to date, they have a loaded non-div schedule and 3 division opponents all making strides. The plan has to be to look like that powerhouse that closed out the 2021 season and started rocking in the early 2022 season. Whatever ended up upsetting that apple cart - glimpses emerged at Miami and then took hold vs GB and at NYJ - that has to be behind them.

It's imperative that they get this stuff with Diggs fixed - and that probably means getting the offense humming for an entire season with Diggs catching north of 110 balls.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Failed to meet whose expectations?  The fans buoyed by excessive positive press the last two years?

I would hope ownership goal is higher than what has been achieved. If not what is the point. 

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I have no idea why they extended them when they still had several years left (it serves no purpose) but there is no shortage of NFL coaches fired after getting an extension.

Ron Rivera, John Fox, Del Rio, Gus Bradley, Marvin Lewis, Jeff Fisher…. etc all fired within a year or two of receive an extension.

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. 

I agree with this. 

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it shows the seat is a LOT cooler than a lot of fans want it to be and the media have speculated it is. 

I see almost no way this regime doesn't remain into 2024 at the very least. And the likelihood is the rope is a fair bit longer. Part of the reason why is surely that Terry knows he isn't great at these appointments. For all that McD and Beane ain't perfect and there are legit holes you can pick in both, they are overwhelmingly the two best hires that Pegs has made across multiple attempts for two franchises. 

Yes, and despite the lurking lynch mob among the fans, they are universally respected among their peers.  So much so, for example, that the Giants are trying to replicate the Bills success utilizing key lieutenants and process and approaches implemented by the Bills.  Neither would be unemployed very long if Pegula decided to fire them.  They have earned a great deal of rope with the Pegulas and I doubt seriously whether this is even a conversation they would entertain for at least two more years, but as you say, likely much longer, unless a total disaster would happen.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.