Dalvin Cook released.

Gregg

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

I just don't see Tua staying healthy. For his sake I hope he can as you don't want to see anyone get hurt. From that hip injury he suffered at Alabama to the concussions last year I think it's only a matter of time before Mike White takes over.

It is something known that Tua has trouble taking hits and defenses will focus on him blitzing and other ways to knock him out of game.  Either Phish go max protect or Tua is going down unless he truly has learned something with martial arts training to help him on falls.

Squish that Phish!

• Agree 2

I was all for going after SD RB Austin Ekeler mostly because of his TDs and pass-catching out of the backfield. The Chargers upped his pay by 2 mill per for this year so he isn't going anywhere...this season.

I look at Dalvin Cook with that same eye in that he would be that RB that QB Jim Kelly was calling for Buffalo to play like Thurman Thomas. Cook would certainly fit the bill, provided of course that Buffalo actually calls some running plays during games. Buffalo with Singletary 177 rush attempts vs Minnesota with Cook 264 rush attempts. Both RBs averaged around 4.4 for Cook, and 4.6 for Singletary. 

Hopefully with this offseasons upgrades to the offensive line the Bills will be able to run the ball when needed. Like that NE wind game, like in the red zone to save Josh Allen some wear and tear. Like a third and short where they actually make a first down running it. 

I have no idea how they could afford it... but I'd be all for going after James's big bro. 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Mostert and Wilson: 1579 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs, Wilson was only there for 8 games too.   Wilson had 1045 scrimmage yards last year across SF and Miami. 

Does adding Cook get them more yards? what about more wins? What is the cost to adding him? 

Agreed. Mostert and Wilson as a duo are going to be a lot better than Cook, especially in that scheme. I also don’t care for Cook’s running style, and it looked like he lost a little step last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

I was all for going after SD RB Austin Ekeler mostly because of his TDs and pass-catching out of the backfield. The Chargers upped his pay by 2 mill per for this year so he isn't going anywhere...this season.

I look at Dalvin Cook with that same eye in that he would be that RB that QB Jim Kelly was calling for Buffalo to play like Thurman Thomas. Cook would certainly fit the bill, provided of course that Buffalo actually calls some running plays during games. Buffalo with Singletary 177 rush attempts vs Minnesota with Cook 264 rush attempts. Both RBs averaged around 4.4 for Cook, and 4.6 for Singletary. 

Hopefully with this offseasons upgrades to the offensive line the Bills will be able to run the ball when needed. Like that NE wind game, like in the red zone to save Josh Allen some wear and tear. Like a third and short where they actually make a first down running it. 

I have no idea how they could afford it... but I'd be all for going after James's big bro. 

I feel like thats how they want the team to look at James Cook.  

I think those singletary carries will be divided among the entire group.  Harris, Cook, Hines, and maybe Murray.  Allen also had 124 carries which i would assume they would like to scale back - at the very least some of the designed runs.  

23 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

How about the bears having 80 yards rushing with the #1 rush offense in the league?  Browns had 80 yards with the #6 rush offense in the league.  Titans had 80 yards, Lions had sub 100 yards.  Miami had 2 sub-50 yard rushing games against buffalo.  

There's going to be ebbs and flows to a season, and the biggest rush plays in that KC game were Mahomes scrambles and a hardman reverse.  I don't think teams are going to look at Buffalo's defense and think that we can just run all over you and beat you.  It's not the best rush defense, but it is also not a bad unit.  

It’s pretty bad against the run. They can’t tackle for chit. But maybe now that “tackle 5 yards downfield” Edmunds is gone, maybe they will actually be better. But I doubt it. They replaced him with guys that are undersized for the position. 

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

They replaced him with guys that are undersized for the position. 

Roquan Smith: 6'1", 232 lbs

Dorian Williams 6'2", 225 lbs

Terrel Bernard  6'1", 225 lbs

The first guy I listed was an All-Pro in 2022. The second two guys are the ones you're calling "undersized for the position".

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

The first guy I listed was an All-Pro in 2022. The second two guys are the ones you're calling "undersized for the position".

The first guy is 7lbs heavier and he’s also an inch shorter than Williams. That’s like 17lbs based on height/weight. If you’re going by the average that every inch should equal about 10lbs. And 17lbs would defiantly be undersized. 

and just look at the 2 pics in these links. One looks like an nfl LB. The other looks like a safety that bulked up as much as he could for the combine to try and look like a LB. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimorebeatdown.com/platform/amp/2023/1/10/23548727/ravens-sign-lb-roquan-smith-to-richest-ilb-deal-in-nfl-history-breaking-news-nfl-free-agency

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2023/4/29/23703683/buffalo-bills-get-young-rangy-athlete-with-developmental-upside-in-lb-dorian-williams-2023-nfl-draft

Edited by mrags

22 minutes ago, mrags said:

The first guy is 7lbs heavier and he’s also an inch shorter than Williams. That’s like 17lbs based on height/weight. If you’re going by the average that every inch should equal about 10lbs. And 17lbs would defiantly be undersized. 

and just look at the 2 pics in these links. One looks like an nfl LB. The other looks like a safety that bulked up as much as he could for the combine to try and look like a LB. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimorebeatdown.com/platform/amp/2023/1/10/23548727/ravens-sign-lb-roquan-smith-to-richest-ilb-deal-in-nfl-history-breaking-news-nfl-free-agency

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2023/4/29/23703683/buffalo-bills-get-young-rangy-athlete-with-developmental-upside-in-lb-dorian-williams-2023-nfl-draft

Smith has also had 5 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program, whereas the other two guys have not.

Also...

Dorian Wililams has 33 3/4 inch arms and 10 1/4 inch hands.
Roquan Smith has 32 inch arms and 10 inch hands.

Wingspan matters, too.

Also...

2022 Pro Bowler Fred Warner is 6'3", 230 lbs. By your lbs-per-inch standards, he'd be considered undersized.

Look, I'm not saying that Williams or Bernard are going to turn into Roquan Smith or Fred Warner. I'm just saying that the prevailing notion that they're vastly undersized to play ILB in the 2023 NFL is overblown. Good linebackers come in different shapes and sizes.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good point, No he is not.

Hmmm... Maybe not his forte but. yes he plays the run quite decently for being an edge rusher

Can even cover in a pinch. Floyd that is  LOL

Back to Cook.
Minny is getting weird.

Or Cook is being more difficult that Minnesota FO lets on

Edited by 3rdand12

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

Smith has also had 5 years in an NFL strength and conditioning program, whereas the other two guys have not.

Also...

Wingspan matters, too.

Also...

2022 Pro Bowler Fred Warner is 6'3", 230 lbs. By your lbs-per-inch standards, he'd be considered undersized.

Look, I'm not saying that Williams or Bernard are going to turn into Roquan Smith or Fred Warner. I'm just saying that the prevailing notion that they're vastly undersized to play ILB in the 2023 NFL is overblown. Good linebackers come in different shapes and sizes.

And I’m just saying that I know what I see and when I look at Williams I see a guy that’s closer to a S than a LB in this league. Hope I’m wrong for the Bills sake. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

This reminds me of the movie Major League. Great movie. One of my favorites. One of the best scenes is when that one less than intelligent fan tries to rationalize that a ball won't be a HR because it's "too high". 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Also...

Wingspan matters, too.

Also...

He’s just mad about the dome, be gentle.   😋

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This reminds me of the movie Major League. Great movie. One of my favorites. One of the best scenes is when that one less than intelligent fan tries to rationalize that a ball won't be a HR because it's "too high". 

I think that was Major League 2. That movie sucked. All credibility lost 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Sometimes it’s how a player plays.

They can look like Tarzan and play like Jane or look like Jane and play like Tarzan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

Looks like Ricky Williams is back in town and made a stop in coach's office to share a few brownies with him before the press conference.

And what's with the pineapples on the backdrop... are they advertising for "adventurous couples with alternative lifestyles?"

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is one you want to hide for sure.

He had glowing reports about all our top picks this year,  At least he had some negatives on his Cameron Denzler video..

Erik Turner speaks to the film he is showing, and he's an expert at it (it becomes obvious if you watch a fair amount of his content). There's really no opportunity to be biased about that as its based on real plays on tape and you can see it for yourself in plain sight. Maybe you guys are misquoting his take on Saffold, or thinking of some of the other cover1 presenters. I found this video with a quick search that Erik did. Here he is speaking highly about Saffold in the run game only (along with 3 former NFL O-linemen agreeing at the time about his effectiveness in the running game at the time). As it turned out, clearly Saffold lost any and all of his foot speed he may have had left and was atrocious in the passing game all year, but I never heard Erik say he was any good in the passing game. Erik shows plenty of negative plays guys make on tape throughout the season as well as the good ones, but of course as an outlet that relies on likes and subs they are going to cover aspects that the people want to see.

16 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Good point, No he is not.

I think you might be thinking of Yannick Ngakoue

Our new addition is a very solid all-around player

Miami’s running game was already very good so this isn’t anything that puts them over the top

Their weakness is the same one that they are not able to address the fact that their quarterback is taking on concussions at an alarming rate

20 hours ago, boyst said:

He has hit a major drop off from his peak. He will still be a force. On the right team where he has limited touches and a good OC he will prosper. He could get 1k in Miami, NY, SD, or teams who pass.

Cook did torch us last year.

11 hours ago, transient said:

And what's with the pineapples on the backdrop... are they advertising for "adventurous couples with alternative lifestyles?"

Pineapples have been long used as a symbol of royalty and hospitality, beginning in Europe after Columbus returned. 

An upside-down pineapple is used to express "adventurous couples with alternative lifestyles."

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, transient said:

Looks like Ricky Williams is back in town and made a stop in coach's office to share a few brownies with him before the press conference.

only if the Pineapples are upside down!

45 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Pineapples have been long used as a symbol of royalty and hospitality, beginning in Europe after Columbus returned. 

An upside-down pineapple is used to express "adventurous couples with alternative lifestyles."

Correct!

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

not true.

oh its true, its damn true  -Kurt Angle

I know this from experience my friend!

Are you married?

Lets hang out sometime!

What Does an Upside-Down Pineapple Mean? An upside-down pineapple is actually an identifying symbol that swingers use to recognize each other in public. It signals to others that you are interested in "swinging."

Edited by TBBills Fan

5 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Cook did torch us last year.

I’m not a fan of taking away a players longest run and hitting people with stats that show a player didn’t have as good of a game, buuuuut take away that 81 yard TD and Cook goes 13 carries for 38 yards @ 2.9 per carry.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I’m not a fan of taking away a players longest run and hitting people with stats that show a player didn’t have as good of a game, buuuuut take away that 81 yard TD and Cook goes 13 carries for 38 yards @ 2.9 per carry.

My way of dealing with that is to treat the really long runs as, say, 25 yard runs because 81 just skews everything so much. If you treat it as a 25 yard run -- which is really good but also a pretty common result in an NFL game -- he's 14 carries for 63 yards. That's 4.5 yards per carry -- which was pretty much his season average!

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Running backs get treated like garbage.  Why would would you ever want your son to be one if they have nfl talent? 

Completely swung that game with one play. Painful to watch live.

I was there! Ugh.

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

oh its true, its damn true  -Kurt Angle

I know this from experience my friend!

Are you married?

Lets hang out sometime!

What Does an Upside-Down Pineapple Mean? An upside-down pineapple is actually an identifying symbol that swingers use to recognize each other in public. It signals to others that you are interested in "swinging."

it is also just being a regular pineapple... the symbol has changed

@TBBills Fan I'll add this. Due to social media + online dating the symbol of just 🍍without being upside down is valid. I learned this when I was single and on tinder finding women who had this and no idea what it means.

Edited by boyst
  • Eyeroll 1

First of all, watching Dalvin Cook highlights, you notice right away that the Minnesota O-line was a lot better than what the Bills had last year.  D Cook would be working hard for short gains, like Singletary did last year, but the difference is that if D Cook gets a hole he can take more advantage of it than Motor could.  

Second, assuming the Bills O-line changes are upgrades, Cook would be a better option than any of the FA RBs the Bills picked up.

But, dollars.  I can't see how they Bills could swing a salary attractive for D Cook.

57 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

You are right to not take away the 81 yard run. I wish our poor tackling D had been able to do that. Even franchise backs get stuffed a lot. It's when they break games open that you realize why they are special. 

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Taking extreme outliers away from a dataset is most cases provided for a more accurate conclusion.  

For example, let’s say cook was burning us for 10 yards a clip, than fumbles the ball from his RZ, where’s its kicked around and eventually recovered for an 81 yard loss.  Now his 20 rushes for 200 yards looks like 21 rushes for 119 or 5.6 yards per carry. I’m a huge fan of Dalvin, I draft him nearly every year for fantasy but his 81 yard run in which he made one cut, hit a gaping hole and was never touched had nothing to do with how good he is (and he is exceptional) it had to do with how awful the Bills defense executed on that play.  Any RB that runs a sub 4.8 takes that 81 yards to the house.  

20 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

You are right to not take away the 81 yard run. I wish our poor tackling D had been able to do that. Even franchise backs get stuffed a lot. It's when they break games open that you realize why they are special. 

Poor tackling?  He wasn’t touched on the play.  He wasn’t even breathed on.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.