Dalvin Cook released.

Gregg

It should be Jacksonville. They want a running mate to take some usage off of Ettienne. Good OL, really good defense, an emerging QB, and a really good offensive coach...a return to Florida (even though its Jacksonville). That's what I would do. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Is Floyd a good run defender?  The schtick on him seems to be pass-rush primarily.  

He doesn’t make that many millions and not have a reasonable skill set for being able to tackle a RB, jmo

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

ON Williams being more an NFL safety than MLB, after that never ending thread about drafting Dorian Williams , it finally convinced me he is not too small, especially with the trend in the NFL for more passing and lighter LBers.  Williams is smart and a hard worker, I think he will bust his ass off and also get bigger.  Maybe not this year but I expect him to be the future at MLB.

Well, that is the debate re: him.  I will provide what both PFF and NFL said in their draft profiles about him tho.  I've not seen any other site disagree.  

PFF:  

What’s his role: WLB

Williams isn’t the guy you want taking on fullbacks in the hole anytime soon. He’s the one you want cleaning up for that guy.

NFL: 

Williams looks and moves more like a big box safety with his bursts to the football and open-field fluidity. Lacking the size and strength to match up with NFL take-on duties near the line, Williams needs to become more adept at slipping blocks and staying a step ahead of the blocking scheme.

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Having said that,  the way the NFL evolves at some point the NFL is going to pivot  back to more running.  Look at the Bills finally may have addressed  their interior O Line and have a legit power back in Harris and hope to utilize Cook's speed (FINALLY) this year.  If I were in the AFC East I would stress running and I would run often v the Bills.

We're in agreement there.  In fact, two of our three losses last season were in games where we allowed an average of 160 rushing yards.  One of those was against the Jets and their two sub-average RBs.  Throw in Rodgers now instead of White/Wilson.  

IMO more teams run well against us this season since their passing games are going to open up against us.  

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets have done a good job against our offense the last three outings… hopefully the additions offensively show out and we figure it out.

And you assumptions are based on the Jets performing at that same high level defensively again next season. 

True, but we are also division opponents, which adds to their fire.  

Offensively, IMO it all, or 90% of it, comes down to Dorsey/Allen.  If Dorsey figures things out this season, as he should if he's any good at all, then as I've previously said, IMO we have the ability to be the best offense in Bills' history.  At the same time I can also see us finishing 5th offensively.  

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

Here I thought we were arguing. Did we just become best friends? I would have posted the gif of Step Brothers but it appears the gif issue is not cleared up yet. 

I believe the word is Besties.  I'm not sure about that however, it may be too soon.  

LOL 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I had forgotten (REPRESSED) that nightmarish play, ironic it mention in the Dalvin Cook thread.  We were in total control of that game till that play and he was barely touched, I think the last 65 yards he ran free.  Tre White whiffed on the tackle, Damar Hamlin was pancaked blocked.

IMO that was the biggest reason we lost that game and not Allen's fumble & INT late in the game.  We had a 27 - 10 lead late int he 3rd quarter AT HOME and our all world defense allows a RB to run off tackle for an 82 yard TD. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He doesn’t make that many millions and not have a reasonable skill set for being able to tackle a RB, jmo

Money doesn't make him a good run defender.  His specialty has been rushing the passer.  

I can't find anything indicative that he's an above-average run defender.  I haven't even found that.  If you've got something please let me know.  

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Mostert and Wilson: 1579 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs, Wilson was only there for 8 games too.   Wilson had 1045 scrimmage yards last year across SF and Miami. 

Does adding Cook get them more yards? what about more wins? What is the cost to adding him? 

I think that pointing out that it took their current two guys COMBINED to match Dalvin's production sort of proves that he's a superior player.

As for the question of "Does he get them more wins?", well...yeah, maybe. It's inherently difficult to meaningfully tie a concept like "more wins" to the signing of a player. Like...does Leonard Floyd get the Bills more wins? Well...yeah, maybe.

If opposing teams bring an extra defender into the box more often (because they fear Cook more than Mostert or Wilson) and it allows Waddle or Hill to go against just one deep safety...yes, that could absolutely result in more wins.

As for cost, the Dolphins are middle of the pack in cap space. 16th. They can afford him, and they believe they're in a "win now" window.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Money doesn't make him a good run defender.  His specialty has been rushing the passer.  

I can't find anything indicative that he's an above-average run defender.  I haven't even found that.  If you've got something please let me know.  

Iirc Cover ! Did a thing on him

47 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I had forgotten (REPRESSED) that nightmarish play, ironic it mention in the Dalvin Cook thread.  We were in total control of that game till that play and he was barely touched, I think the last 65 yards he ran free.  Tre White whiffed on the tackle, Damar Hamlin was pancaked blocked.

81 yards completely untouched.  He had 119 rushing yards on 14 carries and 27 through the air.  Minus that big run the Bills locked Cook down. 

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think that pointing out that it took their current two guys COMBINED to match Dalvin's production sort of proves that he's a superior player.

As for the question of "Does he get them more wins?", well...yeah, maybe. It's inherently difficult to meaningfully tie a concept like "more wins" to the signing of a player. Like...does Leonard Floyd get the Bills more wins? Well...yeah, maybe.

If opposing teams bring an extra defender into the box more often (because they fear Cook more than Mostert or Wilson) and it allows Waddle or Hill to go against just one deep safety...yes, that could absolutely result in more wins.

As for cost, the Dolphins are middle of the pack in cap space. 16th. They can afford him, and they believe they're in a "win now" window.

Dolphins w Hill/Waddle and Cook/Mostert plus McDaniel running the offense are going to be a problem imo

• Agree 3

Just now, Airseven said:

I prefer to be the team cutting players past the summit as opposed to signing them.

I generally agree with the sentiment, but I don't think it applies to Dalvin Cook. 

He's 27 years old. Coming off four straight Pro Bowls, four straight 1100+ yard seasons, and has 43 TDs the past four seasons. 

He's also always been very elusive and not typically the type to take a lot of punishing hits, at least compared to other backs.

I'd wager that he has 3-4 good seasons left in him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

he's dropped off

No he hasn't.  If he goes to Miami, God help the league.

48 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

81 yards completely untouched.  He had 119 rushing yards on 14 carries and 27 through the air.  Minus that big run the Bills locked Cook down. 

That's not how it works.  

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Cover!  

I'm not really familiar with all the sites and pubs, is that an online magazine?   Do you have a link?  

My mistake, it’s “Cover1”  on YouTube, they do a lot of Bills content

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Yeah except when McD refuses to allow his QB to pass the ball like the Pats game 2 years ago when we lost to Max Jones throwing 3 passes all game. 

we were ran all over against the Bengals in the divisional round last year and the .13 second game as well. 

Have you lost your mind, or are you just simply making stuff up out of thin air with no basis in reality? I suggest you go look at the play by play of games...if anything there are times we pass too MUCH, not too little 

Edited by Big Turk

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Have you lost your mind, or are you just simply making stuff up out of thin air with no basis in reality? I suggest you go look at the play by play of games...if anything there are times we pass too MUCH, not too little 

His/her comments are accurate, discussing one specific game, in the wind game vs New England we barely passed the ball at all and that is why we lost.  All this hoopla about how we drafted Josh because he is big and strong and need him for buffalo weather and when we get the opportunity, we only start throwing when the game was out of hand.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I feel like the first year Dorsey lead offense didn't have an identity. It was her sporadic for game to game and half to half. 

I get game plans change depending on the opponent. Dorsey seemed to be a bit lost and called plays almost like it was back yard football. I get sone of that because Allen of tennis his best improvising. 

I kind of feel at times the Bills ran too much and at times passed too much. I can see both sides of the argument. 

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

His/her comments are accurate, discussing one specific game, in the wind game vs New England we barely passed the ball at all and that is why we lost.  All this hoopla about how we drafted Josh because he is big and strong and need him for buffalo weather and when we get the opportunity, we only start throwing when the game was out of hand.

Actually the Bills started opening up the passing game in that one and if Diggs catches a very catchable ball in the end zone we likely win...

The game was 14-10 and the only time it was more than a 4 point lead was when the Pats score their first TD and got a 2 point conversion to make it 8-0.

The Bills scored immediately after to make it 8-7. That was with a little more than 2 mins left in quarter one.

It then went to 11-7, 11-10 and 14-10. 

I'm not sure how the game was "out of hand" with a max 4 point lead for more than 3 quarters.

It's kinda crazy how people just make up whatever they need to that fits the narrative they have written in their own mind, facts be damned.

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I feel like the first year Dorsey lead offense didn't have an identity. It was her sporadic for game to game and half to half. 

I get game plans change depending on the opponent. Dorsey seemed to be a bit lost and called plays almost like it was back yard football. I get sone of that because Allen of tennis his best improvising. 

I kind of feel at times the Bills ran too much and at times passed too much. I can see both sides of the argument. 

The only time the Bills seemingly ran a lot last year was when the passing game was struggling, like the Bears game. Towards the end of the year they were throwing 50 yard bombs on 3rd and 1 plays.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Actually the Bills started opening up the passing game in that one and if Diggs catches a very catchable ball in the end zone we likely win...

The game was 14-10 and the only time it was more than a 4 point lead was when the Pats score their first TD and got a 2 point conversion to make it 8-0.

The Bills scored immediately after to make it 8-7. It then went to 11-7, 11-10 and 14-10. 

I'm not sure how the game was "out of hand" with a max 4 point lead for more than 3 quarters.

It's kinda crazy how people just make up whatever they need to that fits the narrative they have written in their own mind.

When you HAVE to throw the ball in that wind which we did at the end, then at that point the game was out of hand.  I am not making up anything to fit a narrative, but if that makes you feel better to denigrate me, go for it. 

There was a reason, coaching decisions, imo how we lost a modern NFL home  game  versus a weak armed rookie QB versus a strong armed QB of ours when the Pats throw the ball three times, almost comical.   We should have beat them by 20.  I recall in the locker room Belichek was downright giddy because he knew he got away with one.   IMO  McD waited too long to open it up to pass, you disagree fine by me.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The comment was in regards to McDs defense and coaching blunders. And no, we really don’t pass to much. This is a QB driven league. Allen was 9th overall in pass attempts last season and was 6th overall in avg/completion. One could argue that with more attempts he could have easily surpassed 4500 yards. And his 35 passing TDs which ranked 2nd. Btw Mahomes, Burrow, Brady, Cousins, Goff, and Smith all had more attempts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This. Thank you 

9 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

When you HAVE to throw the ball in that wind which we did at the end, then at that point the game was out of hand.  I am not making up anything to fit a narrative, but if that makes you feel better to denigrate me, go for it. 

There was a reason, coaching decisions, imo how we lost a modern NFL home  game  versus a weak armed rookie QB versus a strong armed QB of ours when the Pats throw the ball three times, almost comical.   We should have beat them by 20.  I recall in the locker room Belichek was downright giddy because he knew he got away with one.   IMO  McD waited too long to open it up to pass, you disagree fine by me.

They literally had a first down at the Patriots 14 yard line late in the game BECAUSE they started passing on a drive that covered 62 yards to that point...

Edited by Big Turk

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Bills scored immediately after to make it 8-7. That was with a little more than 2 mins left in quarter one.

It then went to 11-7, 11-10 and 14-10. 

It's kinda crazy how people just make up whatever they need to that fits the narrative they have written in their own mind, facts be damned.

The only time the Bills seemingly ran a lot last year was when the passing game was struggling, like the Bears game. Towards the end of the year they were throwing 50 yard bombs on 3rd and 1 plays.

I was at that wind game. The Bills were never in it from almost the start. Because McD was scared to pass the ball. 

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Thank you 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

They literally had a first down at the Patriots 14 yard line late in the game BECAUSE they started passing on a drive that covered 62 yards to that point...

I am not going to dissect and nit pick  the game, I have already stated ny my opinion which was formed as I watched it.  You disagree fine.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

No - it demonstrates that one player getting a similar amount of touches and targets vs. two players sharing those same touches and targets doesn't really affect the yards you get from the running back position.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

17 minutes ago, mrags said:

How about the 180 yards that n the loss to KC in the .13 second game?

How about the bears having 80 yards rushing with the #1 rush offense in the league?  Browns had 80 yards with the #6 rush offense in the league.  Titans had 80 yards, Lions had sub 100 yards.  Miami had 2 sub-50 yard rushing games against buffalo.  

There's going to be ebbs and flows to a season, and the biggest rush plays in that KC game were Mahomes scrambles and a hardman reverse.  I don't think teams are going to look at Buffalo's defense and think that we can just run all over you and beat you.  It's not the best rush defense, but it is also not a bad unit.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue
  • Agree 1

Not really interested in adding Dalvin Cook.

I really like our current group of backs, and would prefer the cap space goes somewhere else.

By pretty much every metric, James Cook was actually better as a rookie than his brother was.  He deserves a chance to make his own legacy:

Dalvin in 2017:  354 yards, 4.8 ypc, 2 tds, 11 receptions

James in 2022:  507 yards, 5.7 ypc, 2 tds, 21 receptions

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.