Dalvin Cook released.

Gregg

2 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Dolphins just resigned Mostert and Wilson to two year contracts, drafted a RB in the 3rd round and have a 4th RB on a cheap rookie contract.  Which one are they parting ways with to make room for Cook? 

Myles Gaskin would be gone in a heartbeat.

Cook, Mostert, Wilson, Achane. 

That's the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Myles Gaskin would be gone in a heartbeat.

Cook, Mostert, Wilson, Achane. 

That's the depth chart.

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  I for one will be surprised if Miami signs him.  When you have 2 top 10 WR’s on your roster there’s no reason to have 3 above average RB’s (possibly 4 based on how rook plays).  When Miami drafted Achane I think it quite possibly removed Cook as an option.  Standing by to eat crow.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

So absolutely no different than it has been since McDermott has been the HC. His defensive play style allows it. 

hope it’s wrong and he shows something different this season but I don’t see it. 

Yeah, I don't either.  

Here's my take on McD taking over.  He's said something about a more attacking defense which Frasier apparently didn't have.  Not sure I believe that, but that's moot at this point.  

McD's D in Carolina, where he had some very good talent, arguably more than we have here, and Kuechly at MLB, is Ds ranked perfectly average 15th/16th in his six seasons there in pass D.   His run Ds about the same, perhaps marginally better.  

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

So absolutely no different than it has been since McDermott has been the HC. His defensive play style allows it. 

hope it’s wrong and he shows something different this season but I don’t see it. 

If teams want to run against us then good luck. They will find themselves down 3 scores by halftime most games.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  

He had 1400 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns last year. He's coming off of four straight Pro Bowls. He's just 27 years old.

In my opinion, he's worlds better than Mostert or Wilson. I don't think either of them has ever even sniffed that kind of production in a single season. If I was a Dolphins fan, I'd want Dalvin Cook on my team. 

I see a lot of fans underrating and underselling Cook in this thread (not you, but others). He's still VERY good. One of the top running backs in the league. An offense with Hill and Waddle out wide and Cook/Achane in the backfield is downright scary, no matter how much people may want to disparage Tua or whomever.

You may be right that they feel "set" at RB. They shouldn't. They should sign this elite running back that's about to fall into their laps. Just my opinion.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Maybe, but what does Cook add to the current stable of RB’s?  I for one will be surprised if Miami signs him.  When you have 2 top 10 WR’s on your roster there’s no reason to have 3 above average RB’s (possibly 4 based on how rook plays).  When Miami drafted Achane I think it quite possibly removed Cook as an option.  Standing by to eat crow.  

I'm not sure I'd consider any RB currently on their roster to be above-average.  I guess it depends upon how "above-average" is defined, Mostert did OK but hardly great in his first year of starting, but he's also old for a RB.  Who knows about Achane, but until he proves himself at the NFL level.  I'd probably keep him over either Mostert or Gaskin, but if I'm them and can add Cook, who also catches well, IMO that's a significant upgrade, and he's unquestionably a 3-down RB.  We don't even have that.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I don't either.  

Here's my take on McD taking over.  He's said something about a more attacking defense which Frasier apparently didn't have.  Not sure I believe that, but that's moot at this point.  

McD's D in Carolina, where he had some very good talent, arguably more than we have here, and Kuechly at MLB, is Ds ranked perfectly average 15th/16th in his six seasons there in pass D.   His run Ds about the same, perhaps marginally better.  

So McDermott was an average defensive coordinator at Carolina, the way people talk about him like was he Buddy Ryan in 1985.   And we have massive question marks at MLB and I am a major fan of Dorian Williams.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

He had 1400 yards from scrimmage and 10 touchdowns last year. He's coming off of four straight Pro Bowls. He's just 27 years old.

In my opinion, he's worlds better than Mostert or Wilson. I don't think either of them has ever even sniffed that kind of production in a single season. If I was a Dolphins fan, I'd want Dalvin Cook on my team. 

I see a lot of fans underrating and underselling Cook in this thread (not you, but others). He's still VERY good. One of the top running backs in the league. An offense with Hill and Waddle out wide and Cook/Achane in the backfield is downright scary, no matter how much people may want to disparage Tua or whomever.

Great point!  He had almost as many rushing yards and yards-from-scrimmage as Mostert and Wilson combined.  He also had one more TD than both combined.  

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I don't either.  

So with better talent he was generally ranked worse than we are. Great. Just what I needed to hear. 

Just now, Logic said:

Mostert and Wilson: 1579 yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs, Wilson was only there for 8 games too.   Wilson had 1045 scrimmage yards last year across SF and Miami. 

Does adding Cook get them more yards? what about more wins? What is the cost to adding him? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Funny the difference from when the discussion's about him coming to us in past threads.  LOL  

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If teams want to run against us then good luck. They will find themselves down 3 scores by halftime most games.

Yeah except when McD refuses to allow his QB to pass the ball like the Pats game 2 years ago when we lost to Max Jones throwing 3 passes all game. 

we were ran all over against the Bengals in the divisional round last year and the .13 second game as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not sure I'd consider any RB currently on their roster to be above-average.  I guess it depends upon how "above-average" is defined, Mostert did OK but hardly great in his first year of starting, but he's also old for a RB.  Who knows about Achane, but until he proves himself at the NFL level.  I'd probably keep him over either Mostert or Gaskin, but if I'm them and can add Cook, who also catches well, IMO that's a significant upgrade, and he's unquestionably a 3-down RB.  We don't even have that.  

I think its fairly clear that you don't "need" that either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Yeah except when McD refuses to allow his QB to pass the ball like the Pats game 2 years ago when we lost to Max Jones throwing 3 passes all game. 

we were ran all over against the Bengals in the divisional round last year and the .13 second game as well. 

Major point made by the blowhard on Collin Cowherd a few days ago, when teams ran against the bills, the Bills  "couldn't stop a nose bleed".

4 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So McDermott was an average defensive coordinator at Carolina, the way people talk about him like was he Buddy Ryan in 1985.   And we have massive question marks at MLB and I am a major fan of Dorian Williams.

Yes, and yeah, I've never gotten it either.  And for someone like that, a "defensive minded HC" to continually choke in the big games in the playoffs, it's even more perplexing.  

Also, I get it too, we're always high on our draft picks, but many analysts had Williams going on day 3.  By almost every account he's more of a S than a LB at the NFL level.  He's a role-player to be sure, there's no way he sizes up in the Middle in the NFL.  

My best guess is that McD has some special use for him in mind.  I wish we'd run a traditional 4-3 and find some guys that are capable of taking 70% snap counts on the DL and LB.  This entire rotational approach needs to go.  

Just my two cents.  

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

So with better talent he was generally ranked worse than we are. Great. Just what I needed to hear. 

I suppose one could argue the talent part, but keep in mind, he had Kuechly, one of the league's best, then players like Addison in his prime who was actually playing well then, and players that logged sacks that we simply haven't gotten here.  IMO better talent, even if only somewhat.  But anytime you have a MLB like Kuechly ... 

Yeah, sorry, but we'll see what happens this year.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Funny the difference from when the discussion's about him coming to us in past threads.  LOL  

I don’t want Dalvin or anyone else until I see what his brother can do.  James has an insanely high ceiling in both the running and receiving game.  The last few games he looked decisive, explosive and at times elite, and that was with a doo doo Oline 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Major point made by the blowhard on Collin Cowherd a few days ago, when teams ran against the bills, the Bills  "couldn't stop a nose bleed".

I feel like there were definitely more big plays given up than previous years.  The dalvin cook 81 yarder definitely pads that minnesota number.  Jets had that 4th quarter (FIELD GOAL) drive in the first jets game, I think Mostert had a big one in Miami 2.  Green bay was down 3 scores in the 2nd half and padded some run stats in that one. 

I'd say Cincy was probably the big outlier (and the most recent bills game), and DQ being out was a killer in that one.  I think Ford and a healthy DQ definitely helps at the 1T with stopping that run game, and potentially pushing the pocket some.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, and yeah, I've never gotten it either.  And for someone like that, a "defensive minded HC" to continually choke in the big games in the playoffs, it's even more perplexing.  

Also, I get it too, we're always high on our draft picks, but many analysts had Williams going on day 3.  By almost every account he's more of a S than a LB at the NFL level.  He's a role-player to be sure, there's no way he sizes up in the Middle in the NFL.  

My best guess is that McD has some special use for him in mind.  I wish we'd run a traditional 4-3 and find some guys that are capable of taking 70% snap counts on the DL and LB.  This entire rotational approach needs to go.  

Just my two cents.  

I suppose one could argue the talent part, but keep in mind, he had Kuechly, one of the league's best, then players like Addison in his prime who was actually playing well then, and players that logged sacks that we simply haven't gotten here.  IMO better talent, even if only somewhat.  But anytime you have a MLB like Kuechly ... 

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you making my point? That McD had significantly better talent in Carolina but had worse defenses than we do here? And somehow he’s going to get something more out of this group that has already proven to be a liability in big games when it matters most? 

1 minute ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I don’t want Dalvin or anyone else until I see what his brother can do.  James has an insanely high ceiling in both the running and receiving game.  The last few games he looked decisive, explosive and at times elite, and that was with a doo doo Oline 

I don't either, but you know the conversations.  Get Cook here, then Henry too, then Barkley. etc.  As if we're playing fantasy football.  LOL  

I'm not as bullish on James as you are, but we'll see.  He first has to prove that he's capable of enduring more than 140 touches, which was his high at UGA.  

I still view him as a role-playing RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I feel like there were definitely more big plays given up than previous years.  The dalvin cook 81 yarder definitely pads that minnesota number.  Jets had that 4th quarter (FIELD GOAL) drive in the first jets game, I think Mostert had a big one in Miami 2.  Green bay was down 3 scores in the 2nd half and padded some run stats in that one. 

I'd say Cincy was probably the big outlier (and the most recent bills game), and DQ being out was a killer in that one.  I think Ford and a healthy DQ definitely helps at the 1T with stopping that run game, and potentially pushing the pocket some.  

I don't think Cincy was an outlier tbh...Mostert and the Dolphins went for 136 too

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. Hill and Waddle yes. They’ve invested a whole ***** ton into the defensive line and were solid against the run for most of the year when healthy. Cook is the least of my concerns if he signs with the Dolphins or Jets. 

This leagues about rushing the passer and the passing game and Tua is still the same injury prone Tua… and could Rodgers is still 40 coming off a down season. 

Insofar as the Jets go, they've done better than anyone but the Bengals in keeping us down in points, allowing us an average of only 275 total yards and 18.5 points in both games last season.  It's not like Rodgers has to be like he was in his prime, all he has to do is be better than White or Wilson, which like someone having to be better than EJ Manuel from our perspective.  

I don't either, but you know the conversations.  Get Cook here, then Henry too, then Barkley. etc.  As if we're playing fantasy football.  LOL  

I'm not as bullish on James as you are, but we'll see.  He first has to prove that he's capable of enduring more than 140 touches, which was his high at UGA.  

I still view him as a role-playing RB.  

Yes, the role of RB

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t understand what you’re saying. Are you making my point? That McD had significantly better talent in Carolina but had worse defenses than we do here? And somehow he’s going to get something more out of this group that has already proven to be a liability in big games when it matters most? 

Yes, we're in agreement.  I was simply stating that that was my opinion of the talent he had defensively.  Which I think is sound.  It is my opinion however.  :) 

Just my two cents.  

ON Williams being more an NFL safety than MLB, after that never ending thread about drafting Dorian Williams , it finally convinced me he is not too small, especially with the trend in the NFL for more passing and lighter LBers.  Williams is smart and a hard worker, I think he will bust his ass off and also get bigger.  Maybe not this year but I expect him to be the future at MLB.

Having said that,  the way the NFL evolves at some point the NFL is going to pivot  back to more running.  Look at the Bills finally may have addressed  their interior O Line and have a legit power back in Harris and hope to utilize Cook's speed (FINALLY) this year.  If I were in the AFC East I would stress running and I would run often v the Bills.

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I had forgotten (REPRESSED) that nightmarish play, ironic it mention in the Dalvin Cook thread.  We were in total control of that game till that play and he was barely touched, I think the last 65 yards he ran free.  Tre White whiffed on the tackle, Damar Hamlin was pancaked blocked.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, we're in agreement.  I was simply stating that that was my opinion of the talent he had defensively.  Which I think is sound.  It is my opinion however.  :) 

Here I thought we were arguing. Did we just become best friends? I would have posted the gif of Step Brothers but it appears the gif issue is not cleared up yet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Meh, would be a nice piece to have, but in no way would I ever consider paying him what he’s making now so a trade is out.  I think he would make Miami better and they should be able to fit him in.  They don’t have much in the way of a power back, they are all speed, he’s a complete guy, don’t want to see him there, but nothing you can do.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.