Dalvin Cook released.

Gregg

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Apparently him and Miami are a lock. That'd be a scary O . Adding Ford n Floyd should significantly help our run D

Is Floyd a good run defender?  The schtick on him seems to be pass-rush primarily.  

6 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

he's dropped off

He has hit a major drop off from his peak. He will still be a force. On the right team where he has limited touches and a good OC he will prosper. He could get 1k in Miami, NY, SD, or teams who pass.

I try not to confuse usage of a running back with ability.  He has good hands, has experience, and is probably a solid fit in their offense.  A good #1 running back in an era where most teams don't really leverage a single player in a role like that.  

At the same time, how much better is he going to be than the trio of Wilson/Mostert/Achane?  Is that a good use of money/cap space?  Does it help you win any more games than you did before?  Or just put another name on paper for the media to love on?

Just now, eball said:

Why would the Jests pursue him if Breece is back and healthy?  They also have Carter.

Breece may be back but healthy might be another story. It took Barkley a couple of seasons to regain his old form which he did last year. The Jets may look to get him as insurance if Breece struggles to get back to what he was before he got hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Respectfully, that's a rookie scouting report.

In the 7 years that have elapsed since, Floyd has become a pretty good run stopper.

There's a great 12 minute breakdown on Cover 1 right now if anyone cares to watch, but...Floyd is certainly not a liability in this department, as far as I can tell.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He’s a RB. Don’t care. 

Not at all concerned if either Jets or Dolphins make a play for him.

Dolphins are a legitimate threat if Tua stays healthy, but that’s a gigantic if. 

I am not threatened but I am concerned. Adding any more potential weapons to that team is concerning.

I don't think he will make a massive difference in their abilities but he will be capable of changing game schemes and strategies. Potentially to the point of taking over a game enough to keep Tua safer.

As much as it rides on Tua with a decent OL, a good mix of RB's, finding a serviceable TE, and their WR's that dorky coach douche (McDaniel?) Is capable of playing the team conservative enough to win. Their defense can stop teams from scoring 20 pts. Their offense can score 20+ points.

Probably ends up in Miami especially due to FSU connection.

But Carolina has I believe the 2nd most cap space and although starting their new chapter I think pairing him with Miles Sanders could do a lot to help Young out early. 

Bears have the most cap space and have the division familiarity, but not sure they want to add him to Foreman, Herbert, and rookie R. Johnson.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

I am not threatened but I am concerned. Adding any more potential weapons to that team is concerning.

I don't think he will make a massive difference in their abilities but he will be capable of changing game schemes and strategies. Potentially to the point of taking over a game enough to keep Tua safer.

As much as it rides on Tua with a decent OL, a good mix of RB's, finding a serviceable TE, and their WR's that dorky coach douche (McDaniel?) Is capable of playing the team conservative enough to win. Their defense can stop teams from scoring 20 pts. Their offense can score 20+ points.

I just don't see Tua staying healthy. For his sake I hope he can as you don't want to see anyone get hurt. From that hip injury he suffered at Alabama to the concussions last year I think it's only a matter of time before Mike White takes over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I really don't see the Dolphins taking him. They may have been interested early in the off season but they moved forward and drafted a guy the reportedly really like. 

I think of the AFCE teams that NE is a sneaky choice. Rhomandre is a good RB but they like depth there and Belichick isn't afraid to go after aging vets (Corey Dillon comes to mind).

A guy like Cook getting released this late in the off season is really doing him dirty as many teams have their RB rooms set with FAs and draft picks. 

Teams I can see in on him:

Denver

Tampa

Saints

New England 

Philly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I don't really see how he ends up anywhere other than Miami.

As I understand it, he's from that area, and has stated the Dolphins and Bills as his two preferred destinations.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins could use an upgrade at RB (Achane, Wilson, Mostert are fine, but could be upgraded) and have the money to sign Cook.

I bet he's a Dolphin by Monday at the latest.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Adding a RB(albeit still a good one) does nothing for me to add to the level of concern from the Dolphins. 

It’s their passing game and coach that concerns me… McDaniel is a good coach, but they have an injury riddled QB who’s not nearly as good as Allen even when healthy so again, not concerned. 

IDK, Hill, Waddle, and then Cook if they add him?  Coupled with our inability to defend the run against even mediocre RBs at times ... 

Sounds like something to be concerned about to me, particularly since neither draftee Williams nor newly acquired Floyd have as their specialty Run D.  

I guess I'd rather have him on the Fins than the Jets tho.  

27 minutes ago, boyst said:

He has hit a major drop off from his peak. He will still be a force. On the right team where he has limited touches and a good OC he will prosper. He could get 1k in Miami, NY, SD, or teams who pass.

The Padres?  I doubt it.  Too much tied up in Machado, Tatis and Boegaerts, plus they are trying to lock up Soto.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I really don't see the Dolphins taking him. They may have been interested early in the off season but they moved forward and drafted a guy the reportedly really like. 

I think of the AFCE teams that NE is a sneaky choice. Rhomandre is a good RB but they like depth there and Belichick isn't afraid to go after aging vets (Corey Dillon comes to mind).

A guy like Cook getting released this late in the off season is really doing him dirty as many teams have their RB rooms set with FAs and draft picks. 

Denver

Tampa

Saints

New England 

Philly

Agree completely.

I'd predict in this order:

1. Denver -prior GM connection/starter recovering from torn acl

2. Chicago - they have a nice RB room, but Cook was done dirty and could see him trying to stay in division/they also have cap room

3. Tampa - FL connection, game 1 vs Vikings, Fournette no longer there

4. Chargers - this would be a bit surprising, but would give them a great 1-2 with Ekeler / insurance policy, continue use Ekeler in variety of ways

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Denver

Tampa

Saints

New England 

Philly

I can see him in Indianapolis with JT28 and Anthony Richardson

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't really see how he ends up anywhere other than Miami.

As I understand it, he's from that area, and has stated the Dolphins and Bills as his two preferred destinations.

Meanwhile, the Dolphins could use an upgrade at RB (Achane, Wilson, Mostert are fine, but could be upgraded) and have the money to sign Cook.

I bet he's a Dolphin by Monday at the latest.

Dolphins just resigned Mostert and Wilson to two year contracts, drafted a RB in the 3rd round and have a 4th RB on a cheap rookie contract.  Which one are they parting ways with to make room for Cook? 

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not only that, it is hardly like Breece Hall is a proven entity.  He has only played in 7 games, started 2, has had a total of 80 carries.  

The way he was going though I think he would have won OROY over Wilson. JD really hit a grand slam in that draft unfortunately.

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I know that Dorian Williams isn't.  Seems as if our LB unit may struggle against the run again.  

So absolutely no different than it has been since McDermott has been the HC. His defensive play style allows it. 

hope it’s wrong and he shows something different this season but I don’t see it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.