Ralph is Cheap. Terry... not so much

DrDawkinstein

NY Jets only at 77%.  Still cash strapped from all the ammonia inhalants they bought for Gase, even with the Johnson and Johnson discount.

12 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Who you calling cheap ??

🎶To know, know, know HOUSE,

Is to love, love, love HOUSE.🎵

🎶And we do, yes we do, yes we do.🎵

• Haha (+1) 3

I saw this earlier and read the article that went with it. It's interesting, but the people who wrote the report didn't share the survey or explain their methodology, which makes me a little suspicious of the data.

Don't get me wrong - I know Terry is willing to spend and I'm sure the players know it too, but it's not good when a researcher won't say how they did the research. Surveys can be easy to skew if questions are worded a certain way.

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Ralph always was cheap

Ralph was indeed cheap. But thanks to a number of the sly and costly clauses he built into the stadium lease related to a team move upon sale helped ensure we still have an NFL team in Buffalo today. Plus, the $1.5 billion his foundation donated to rebuild the waterfront here in Detroit was greatly appreciated.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I saw this earlier and read the article that went with it. It's interesting, but the people who wrote the report didn't share the survey or explain their methodology, which makes me a little suspicious of the data.

Don't get me wrong - I know Terry is willing to spend and I'm sure the players know it too, but it's not good when a researcher won't say how they did the research. Surveys can be easy to skew if questions are worded a certain way.

No kidding---just look at all the one year contracts the Bills hand out!

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Someone managed to get below the WTFs that's impressive in a way.

Arizona is just an awful, awful franchise. Creepy sex pervert owner, absent GM, a quarterback who would rather play Call of Duty, no talent left...

2 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

Ralph was indeed cheap. But thanks to a number of the sly and costly clauses he built into the stadium lease related to a team move upon sale helped ensure we still have an NFL team in Buffalo today. Plus, the $1.5 billion his foundation donated to rebuild the waterfront here in Detroit was greatly appreciated.

WNY will always be fortunate for Ralph’s philanthropy but as an NFL owner he was very cheap and he was the biggest reason for the hellish 17 year drought 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, transient said:

How meaningful is this when the Chiefs are 27th with a 56% level of player confidence? :blink:

The Chiefs are cheap…

10 hours ago, CoffeeDrip said:

But the Haslams are also tied for first… 😒

They wrecked the QB market, most certainly ensured the next labor contact will drag out on guaranteed contacts, manipulated the NFL's personal conduct disciplinary system, and apart from a few small protests, have paid zero consequences for it. 

Honestly, I wish this thread was just called "Terry Pegula is not cheap" ... 

That's what the twitter poll was about and it's something to be happy about.

Doesn't seem necessary to further drag our deceased owner, who founded the team and helped it survive in Buffalo for decades, in the same thread.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

I always had my problems with Ralph over the years, but now, upon reflection , he is the reason the team is still here as you point out.. and his foundation has never stopped giving to Buffalo either.., 

• Like (+1) 1

Most of the teams who have owners that inherited the team are in the 20's. While most of the teams that generated wealth from other sources rank much higher. Makes sense. I don't consider Ralph cheap, it was more, he just wasn't as wealthy as other NFL owners. I will say it's very nice to be in the rich club. Terry is loaded and it shows.  

Edited by KzooMike
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

All self made rich people are cheap. How do you think they got rich? By spending all of their money?

Wake me up when Terry pays more than half of the cost of the stadium or puts a dome on it!

Terry would be a fool if he invested in a dome, in a building that he rents from the state.

He's no fool.

Terry is one of the wealthiest men on the planet and the players do love him. He can splash the cash. I can only imagine how happy everyone will be when they roll into the new digs in a few years. Ralph was wealthy, but in the world of pro sports, I don't think he had a lot of money compared to others. He did keep the Raiders afloat, but that might have been partly because he needed that for the health of the AFL. He tried spending a bunch and it almost got us a Super Bowl. He neve spent for coaches though (except for Knox)  and that was a miscalculation. But, in the end, he kept the team in Buffalo and he made sure they were set up to stay afterward and most of the money from the sale is getting put into the cities of Buffalo and Detroit and into various things like parks and other institutions (500 million each), so I can't say anything bad about Ralph. 

On 4/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, Just in Atlanta said:

Well, the top 7 have been in 2 of 7 Super Bowls.

The bottom 7 have been in 7 of 7 of the past Super Bowls. 

Why bring this up? Can't you just be happy winning the off-season and all the peripheral things? It's where we've thrived lately! 

3 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

Why bring this up? Can't you just be happy winning the off-season and all the peripheral things? It's where we've thrived lately! 

ha ha

to be fair the statement’s not about the bills per se but that the stat has little to do with success either way 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.