You won't know when it's our time

Mikie2times

Mahomes was drafted in 2017 and didn't start a full season until 2018, an MVP year. He lost in an epic AFC championship game to the Patriots which would be the last main run of the Patriot era. Patriots would beat the Rams that year in a snoozer. The Rams were considered to be one of the best teams in football going into that year. A couple years later the Rams would eventually get the title in another year where most people had them as a Super Bowl favorite. Other NFC teams to make it include a defensive juggernaut in the 49ers, a very good Tampa team that just needed quality QB play, and an Eagles team that perhaps benefited from the luckiest SOS in recent Super Bowl history. A theme in the NFC is defense does matter. All of these teams, while having quality offense, had elite defenses. The NFC also seems much more open to variation in who makes it just based on the decline in QB play. 

In the AFC it has been much more of an arms race. 4 out of 5 years you ran into Mahomes or Burrow just shy of being 5 out of 5.  Both teams seem to play defense that can step up when it matters. Beating either in the regular season seems to mean very little. This is especially true of Mahomes. I hope enough time has passed for people to understand that the Bills are not doomed. They're playing in a conference with a hall of fame QB who is 27 years old with 3 SB appearances and another who is 26 years old with one SB appearance. Until we break through this wall, under no condition do we ever deserve to be considered the favorites. In fact, the year we weren't the overwhelming favorite was the year we seemed to come the closest. Allen is not chopped liver and despite how this past year ended this team will be contending for a long time to come.

When will it be our time? You won't know. You will never be able to know when your competition is this good. In fact, if you want to place a bet on when it's most likely to be our time? Pick the time you think it's least likely. Say, right about now. Let's critique, debate, be fans, but don't be a person that doesn't know when the times are good. Times are very good right now and our time will come. You just won't know when.   

• Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Like sands through the hour glass, goes the days of our lives…, 

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It definitely feels more like our time to me now that our DC is gone. I was basically just at a dead end mentally knowing this was going to be the same story on repeat…so glad that’s not the case

I was falling victim to this thinking and while I'm happy we are moving on, our time could have just as easily been in 2021 with Frazier. Nothing went our way this year, literally. I wish the way the ball bounces or the knee bends didn't play a role, but it's a huge factor in a championship run. 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It definitely feels more like our time to me now that our DC is gone. I was basically just at a dead end mentally knowing this was going to be the same story on repeat…so glad that’s not the case

I hate to admit that for me, it's Dorsey. 

To prove a point.... 2022 was the least hyped or picked Chiefs team since Mahomes was drafted. Almost everyone had them to take a small step back. Plenty were predicting they would need a wildcard to even make the playoffs. 

They ended up the 1 seed and Superbowl champions. 

I agree with the OP. Winning a championship requires lots of ingredients coming together at the same time, including a stroke of luck. Knowing when that moment will strike is harder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Mahomes was drafted in 2017 and didn't start a full season until 2018, an MVP year. He lost in an epic AFC championship game to the Patriots which would be the last main run of the Patriot era. Patriots would beat the Rams that year in a snoozer. The Rams were considered to be one of the best teams in football going into that year. A couple years later the Rams would eventually get the title in another year where most people had them as a Super Bowl favorite. Other NFC teams to make it include a defensive juggernaut in the 49ers, a very good Tampa team that just needed quality QB play, and an Eagles team that perhaps benefited from the luckiest SOS in recent Super Bowl history. A theme in the NFC is defense does matter. All of these teams, while having quality offense, had elite defenses. The NFC also seems much more open to variation in who makes it just based on the decline in QB play. 

In the AFC it has been much more of an arms race. 4 out of 5 years you ran into Mahomes or Burrow just shy of being 5 out of 5.  Both teams seem to play defense that can step up when it matters. Beating either in the regular season seems to mean very little. This is especially true of Mahomes. I hope enough time has passed for people to understand that the Bills are not doomed. They're playing in a conference with a hall of fame QB who is 27 years old with 3 SB appearances and another who is 26 years old with one SB appearance. Until we break through this wall, under no condition do we ever deserve to be considered the favorites. In fact, the year we weren't the overwhelming favorite was the year we seemed to come the closest. Allen is not chopped liver and despite how this past year ended this team will be contending for a long time to come.

When will it be our time? You won't know. You will never be able to know when your competition is this good. In fact, if you want to place a bet on when it's most likely to be our time? Pick the time you think it's least likely. Say, right about now. Let's critique, debate, be fans, but don't be a person that doesn't know when the times are good. Times are very good right now and our time will come. You just won't know when.   

This is my own opinion, but this is where I’m standing on it

We will be ready whenever we build a team that Josh Allen does not have to be behind center in order to win

Kansas City has that they can insert Patrick Mahomes back up into the game and that team still drive right down the field and score and then they are so much better with Patrick Mahomes

We need that we need to be able to run the ball effectively not using Josh Allen we need receivers to make plays they don’t have the ball perfectly thrown to them. We need to be able to insert a back up QB and still win games and then whenever we have Josh Allen weird that much better.

Build a better team

We have a team that isn’t allowing us to throw the ball effectively fine build a line that will push people around and allow us to run the ball right down their throats. Our defense can’t stop anybody in a given game fine put an office on the field that will keep their office off of it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

We will be ready whenever we build a team that Josh Allen does not have to be behind center in order to win

Kansas City has that they can insert Patrick Mahomes back up into the game and that team still drive right down the field and score and then they are so much better with Patrick Mahomes

We need that we need to be able to run the ball effectively not using Josh Allen we need receivers to make plays they don’t have the ball perfectly thrown to them. We need to be able to insert a back up QB and still win games and then whenever we have Josh Allen weird that much better.

Build a better team

We have a team that isn’t allowing us to throw the ball effectively fine build a line that will push people around and allow us to run the ball right down their throats. Our defense can’t stop anybody in a given game fine put an office on the field that will keep their office off of it.

We've got that team. Have had for years.  Matt Barkley won a game in 2018. 

The problem isn't winning without Allen. It's winning tough games without Allen. And realistically, KC can't do that either with any consistency.

That's my opinion on it. Anyone should feel free to disagree on that too.

If you want to lose your QB for the season, you ought to try to do it with about four games left and a damn good record, letting the backup lose a few games get warmed up, letting your coaches figure out how to use the backup as well as possible so they get it by the playoffs. That's the Brady-Hostetler-Foles way.  You get a chance to figure out what he does best but defenses haven't seen enough film to figure out the best way to take him away.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, KzooMike said:

I was falling victim to this thinking and while I'm happy we are moving on, our time could have just as easily been in 2021 with Frazier. Nothing went our way this year, literally. I wish the way the ball bounces or the knee bends didn't play a role, but it's a huge factor in a championship run. 

Yes, very much so.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

When you detach yourself from the outcome. 

Allen better be studying the Tao this off-season. 

Exactly.   In a single elimination tournament, you have to.  As far as I'm concerned, the Bills were 14-4 last season , which was great.   With JA17 on the roster, Trust your process , keep up this kind of production and there will be a season (s) where the injuries are down and you get a few more breaks than the other guy and you get the trophy as well.   Heck , Andy Reid has had maybe 7 or 8 SB trophy worthy teams btwn the Eagles and Chiefs, and he has what, 2 trophies? 

Edited by ProcessTruster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The problem isn't winning without Allen. It's winning tough games without Allen. And realistically, KC can't do that either with any consistency.

If you want to lose your QB for the season, you ought to try to do it with about four games left and a damn good record, letting the backup lose a few games get warmed up, letting your coaches figure out how to use the backup as well as possible so they get it by the playoffs. That's the Brady-Hostetler-Foles way.  You get a chance to figure out what he does best but defenses haven't seen enough film to figure out the best way to take him away.

What are you talking about? We can't win playoff games with Allen. McD has beaten a washed up Phillip Rivers, noodle arm Mac Jones, and almost lost to a 3rd string Miami QB. His defense has risen to the occasion once in the playoffs against Baltimore.  After that epic collapses against Texans, Chiefs x 2, and now the Bengals. 

Without Allen this team would be lucky to win 6 games. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Build a better team

This!

To repeat myself, I watched the Panthers run their whole offense through Cam Newton with Mike Shula as OC using him as a “ get out of jail free” card. This was due to a lack of O line investment, sub par receivers and OC inability to coach/out coach others.

Am getting a serious sense of deja vu. 
    Mahomes has benefited from superior coaching and skill players, in spades, over Josh. It truly is an apple to oranges comparison.

I’ve enjoyed the heck out of watching the rise of this team over the last five years….. until the end of this season.

To argue that they haven’t regressed a bit is questionable. The reasons for the regression are not all to be planned for ( JA elbow injury) 

However, his injury was foreseeable with the amount of overuse and O line woes.

This has become the beginning of the make or break period for this coaching and front office staff.

We will either hoist a Lombardi with Josh or squander the gift he is. If we squander him, it will be coaching/FO malfeasance as the cause…..not bad luck. Acknowledging this doesn’t make one a bad fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What are you talking about? We can't win playoff games with Allen. McD has beaten a washed up Phillip Rivers, noodle arm Mac Jones, and almost lost to a 3rd string Miami QB. His defense has risen to the occasion once in the playoffs against Baltimore.  After that epic collapses against Texans, Chiefs x 2, and now the Bengals. 

Without Allen this team would be lucky to win 6 games. 

without a true franchise QB, most teams in fact are lucky to win 6 games

1 minute ago, ProcessTruster said:

Exactly.   In a single elimination tournament, you have to.  As far as I'm concerned, the Bills were 14-4 last season , which was great.   With JA17 on the roster, Trust your process , keep up this kind of production and there will be a season (s) where the injuries are down and you get a few more breaks than the other guy and you get the trophy as well,  

14-4, sure. As I see it however they were 1-1 in the playoffs.  Everyone said just get home field advantage and it will be a SuperBowl run. It wasn't.  They were losing at home in the second half to a 3rd string Miami QB. 

McD and his staff were outcoached by not just Andy Reid but now by Dolphins and Bengals staffs. 

Injuries played a massive role last year. It's the only excuse McD has for yet another failure. But there were no long term injuries on the o-line. That unit was just bad. 

They have a few holes to fill but if they make wise choice to invest in oline and let Edmunds walk even this staff might not be enough to prevent Allen from winning it all.

8 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

without a true franchise QB, most teams in fact are lucky to win 6 games

Pittsburgh and Detroit won 9 with journeymen. And of course San Francisco and Seattle made playoffs without franchise QBs. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To prove a point.... 2022 was the least hyped or picked Chiefs team since Mahomes was drafted. Almost everyone had them to take a small step back. Plenty were predicting they would need a wildcard to even make the playoffs. 

I agree with the OP. Winning a championship requires lots of ingredients coming together at the same time, including a stroke of luck. Knowing when that moment will strike is harder.

This was the more the result of wishful thinking and irrational thought on the part of most NFL fans---all because they lost a WR.  Silly, in retrospect.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He beat the Jets in the suck year that got us a Top 10 pick. Oliver just wasn't that guy.

14 hours ago, KzooMike said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/word-salad

(EDIT: not claiming there is something wrong with OP...this is just jumbled words that mean little)

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

This!

To repeat myself, I watched the Panthers run their whole offense through Cam Newton with Mike Shula as OC using him as a “ get out of jail free” card. This was due to a lack of O line investment, sub par receivers and OC inability to coach/out coach others.

Am getting a serious sense of deja vu. 
    Mahomes has benefited from superior coaching and skill players, in spades, over Josh. It truly is an apple to oranges comparison.

I’ve enjoyed the heck out of watching the rise of this team over the last five years….. until the end of this season.

To argue that they haven’t regressed a bit is questionable. The reasons for the regression are not all to be planned for ( JA elbow injury) 

However, his injury was foreseeable with the amount of overuse and O line woes.

This has become the beginning of the make or break period for this coaching and front office staff.

We will either hoist a Lombardi with Josh or squander the gift he is. If we squander him, it will be coaching/FO malfeasance as the cause…..not bad luck. Acknowledging this doesn’t make one a bad fan.

The reality of life is you are either progressing or regressing.  Yeah...Buffalo regressed in 2022 from 2021 which was a regression from 2020.  And now the HC and GM need to improve and they tend to need overwhelming evidence that real improvement is necessary.  And even then, their version of improvement tends to underwhelm, as in their 2022 offensive UFA signings.  

@Coach Tuesdaysaid the administration was a reflection of ownership.  And it is, albeit in this situation extenuating circumstances exist that likely distract them. 

Something's gotta give eventually.    

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed-  

Knowing when that moment will strike is close to impossible due to injuries. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.