Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

6 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i'm guessing arizona is the hold up

bills have the best offer in, but they're hoping for something a lil better

Live look at negotiations between Bills & Arizona.

Stare Down The Good The Bad And The Ugly GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 14

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

There has been enough talk from legitimate sources... I think we can be comfortable in saying:

- DeAndre Hopkins is being shopped by the Cardinals

- The Bills are one of the teams interested

That doesn't necessarily mean a deal is going to happen.  There are lots of moving pieces.

Probably the biggest is the Bills salary cap situation.  There have to be discussions not only with the Cardinals (about possibly keeping some of the cap hit), but also with Hopkins himself (in terms of a potential contract restructure).  Not to mention the physical/health piece, in terms of Hopkins past MCL injury and last year's drug suspension.

Considering that Brandon Beane is also in the process of watching various Pro Days and finishing up with Free Agency, it's not really surprising news is slow coming out.  Even if a deal does ultimately materialize.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

16 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

i’m guessing the contract structuring is the hold up

20 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i'm guessing arizona is the hold up

bills have the best offer in, but they're hoping for something a lil better

Or, what if it's neither of those things at all......

What if they didn't get that deep into contract structuring etc because it fell through and no agreement could be made making both teams moving on to other options, being why there's not much to update 

Warriorspikes would start cutting himself while questioning why bother living anymore....j/k

Edited by Patrick Duffy
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Patrick Duffy said:

Or, what if it's neither of those things at all......

What if they didn't get that deep into contract structuring etc because it fell through and no agreement could be made making both teams moving on to other options, being why there's not much to update 

If it's this, I'd hope they'd say so. Sometimes keeping everything close to the vest sucks (for us)

3 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Bad sign when the talking heads are expecting the move. All the ones that are talked up never seem to happen. I.e. Derrick Henry

Ehhh he has contract causes issues so I could see the delay but way to much smoke 

Edited by mikemac2001
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Diggs + Hopkins might be the most exciting thing on offense in years. I can’t think of a better duo in some time. 

Exciting= Tyreek hill.

I think Hill and Kelce and Hill and Waddle are more exciting. 

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sounds like Arizona doesn’t want to eat any of his salary, so the hold up might be a restructure agreement?  In this case, I couldn’t see Buffalo parting with more than a couple late round picks.

I would think the more salary Buffalo has to take on, the less compensation they’d be willing to give…

• Agree 2

Just now, benderbender said:

Bad sign when the talking heads are expecting the move. All the ones that are talked up never seem to happen. I.e. Derrick Henry

Yeah it has been that way a few times, especially regarding Buffalo. Last year I don't remember how much talk there was regarding Von Miller and Bills. If I'm not mistaken it was more talk of the 3-4 other teams they expected him to go to and wasn't til a bit later only thing mentioned was a "dark horse" team to possibly get him. 

Wasn't til that point Buffalo got mentioned if I remember right.....

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Diggs + Hopkins might be the most exciting thing on offense in years. I can’t think of a better duo in some time. 

I mean...they're no Donald Jones and David Nelson, but I guess they'd be fine.

I don't know the more this drags on the less likely it going happen I'd say Sunday or bust. you gotta figure they have been working this for at least three or fours days already. if they can't hammer something out soon. I'd say Beane bails on it,  just a gut feeling no proof.  (He either wants to come here or he doesnt). The restructure would be happening with his agent not the team

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Sounds like Arizona doesn’t want to eat any of his salary, so the hold up might be a restructure agreement?  In this case, I couldn’t see Buffalo parting with more than a couple late round picks.

If ARI doesn't want to hold onto any of his salary, I doubt there's going to be a deal done with anybody.  Nobody is taking on $19m salary for this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hence, Nuk being willing to restructure his deal is likely a big part of this.

So I heard this on the radio this morning and was kind of confused.  Apparently players don't have to agree or sign or do anything for the organization to restructure their current contracts.  Basically they are just changing the way they are paying the player over the current contract length (and most don't care either because it's more cash in hand). I heard it from Sal C. so I have to believe it is true.  

It only matters when they are extended which wouldn't happen since he already has 3 void years on his contract.

Edited by The Wiz

AZ 98.7 speculates Ossenfort won't settle for a 3rd round pick for Hopkins, in part, because it's his first trade. But teams know it's a necessary salary dump and aren't meeting the asking price. Only leverage Cardinals have is to wait.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

As much as it sucks to think about I bet he’d rather go to KC.  He’d be the guy and will have a better chance to win the Super Bowl than here 

Yea, I’m sure he desperately wants to be the KD of the NFL rather than be a legend on one of the few teams that can dethrone them. 

And, fwiw, Kelce is “the guy”. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Airseven said:

AZ 98.7 speculates Ossenfort won't settle for a 3rd round pick for Hopkins, in part, because it's his first trade. But teams know it's a necessary salary dump and aren't meeting the asking price. Only leverage Cardinals have is to wait.

He is about to get a lesson in how the NFL works if that's the case.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So I heard this on the radio this morning and was kind of confused.  Apparently players don't have to agree or sign or do anything for the organization to restructure their current contracts.  Basically they are just changing the way they are paying the player over the current contract length (and most don't care either because it's more cash in hand). I heard it from Sal C. so I have to believe it is true.  

It only matters when they are extended which wouldn't happen since he already has 3 void years on his contract.

#1 - Simple restructure

Within the constraints of the remaining terms of the contract, a simple restructure turns payouts into prorated signing bonuses. Simple restructures can often be carried out by teams without the player's direct involvement.

#2 - Maximum restructure

A maximum restructure either extends the deal or adds vacant seasons to an agreement. These years do not stretch the contract but are solely used as stand-ins for the proration, increasing the cap space via modification into prorated signing bonuses. Maximum restructures are often viewed as a contract rework that requires the player's express approval to be executed.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/nfl-glossary-how-nfl-teams-restructure-contracts#:~:text=In order to free up space under the,can spread the impact out over five years.

i'm a little shocked about #1......but seeing as the remaining terms are likely not guaranteed......and that the signing bonus defacto makes it guaranteed....no player would turn that down

Edited by papazoid
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If what is being semi-reported is true… and Arizona doesn’t want to eat any cap, that new GM is going to have to lower his expectations and take a later pick or deal with a disgruntled star on his hands all season.

Not sure how many teams, that Hopkins will work with, he sees out there with bucketloads of cap space.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

On paper yes but with Tua throwing to them, the excitement is decidedly lower. Allen throwing to Diggs and Hopkins would definitely be a LOT more fun

Ok, then we aren’t talking about a duo.  We’re talking about a threesome 

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If what is being semi-reported is true… and Arizona doesn’t want to eat any cap, that new GM is going to have to lower his expectations and take a later pick or deal with a disgruntled star on his hands all season.

Not sure how many teams, that Hopkins will work with, he sees out there with bucketloads of cap space.  

Not picking on our local sports guys either, but how much do they really know what a gm will or won't do, especially one who is in his first season? How long has it been since our local guys broke anything in regards to a trade?

Point being, weezpect these guys in AZ with a new HC and new GM have any of that Intel? Meh...not buying

43 minutes ago, gordong said:

I don't know the more this drags on the less likely it going happen I'd say Sunday or bust. you gotta figure they have been working this for at least three or fours days already. if they can't hammer something out soon. I'd say Beane bails on it,  just a gut feeling no proof.  (He either wants to come here or he doesnt). The restructure would be happening with his agent not the team

He's gonna go somewhere. It's either us or the Chiefs. This is being dragged out for them to. Do you think their fans are saying the same thing? I don't think Beane bails on this one as long as the Chiefs are in it. I don't think he let's that happen. This doesn't mean Hopkins doesn't want to come here either. It could be the Cardinals don't wanna eat any of his salary which makes it more difficult for both us and the Chiefs since we are both cash strapped. 

Edited by Buffalo03

From Dan Fetes of Channel 13 Rochester:

He mentioned with the people he talked to is that the Bills are interested "for the right price"

One thing he mentioned that does cause some concern is that this reminds him of Zach Ertz. Where he was also able to confirm fire to the smoke.

He mentioned that Beane in that situation (and all situations) is a Hardball kind of player. He makes an offer and really never budges from his price. With Ertz, they wouldn't agree to Beane's price - so that was that.

The longer this goes on, the more I fear we may be heading to Ertz territory. Wherein, yes, Beane is interested and made an offer. But that offer isn't changing and they either come around to Beane's price, or they don't.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

If you're that particular, you'll just have to wade through like a picker at a swap meet.

Yes, the rumor at least was compensation would probably be closer to the Cooks deal in Dallas. It's worth a third, though.

I'm just here to make @Alphadawg7 wade through another post while discovering nothing happened. 

• Haha (+1) 4

Sketchy source since I really don't know these guys and at least ECB had Edward's tweeted a day before the announcement which makes me feel good with their source. These guys = grain of salt and it looks like they are tagging on, but who knows....

• Like (+1) 3