Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

On 1/10/2023 at 4:58 PM, CDogg20 said:

I would be more worried about Diggs thinking it’s gonna take away his well earned touches and keeping him happy

That is certainly a valid concern. I think the Bills have been fortunate that Diggs has been been so durable. Imagine if he got hurt and missed a few games...and you still had Hopkins out there. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Exactly. And even if we get Hopkins, I still want to draft a high-ceiling WR for the future as we can't have our two best receivers on the wrong side of 30 with no one in the pipeline. Always be developing WRs...

I don't disagree with this notion in theory, but if they get Hopkins, it's hard to see how they'd have the roster room to also add a highly drafted rook.

Diggs
Hopkins
Davis
Shakir
Harty
Sherfield

MAYBE they'd carry 7 receivers. But with Harty and Sherfield both having special teams roes, said rookie would probably find himself inactive on game days in year one. 

With a currently glaring need at MLB, as well as similar "youth in the pipeline" needs at DT, DE, and S, it's hard to see them acquiring Nuke and ALSO drafting a receiver in the first three founds. I'd be thrilled if they did, but I don't think they would.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The roof about to come off this place if Beane can make it happen. 

The real question is: Who will be the Sadness Brigade’s next target? 

Passive McDermott:  -1750

Still Beane:  -450

Dorsey:  -400

Gabe Davis sucks:  -110

The OL sucks:  -110 

The positive posters:  -150

Fracking Pegula:  +1000

Erik Turner:  +1200

Al Holcomb:  +1500

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nope, until proven otherwise kc is still better on offense with coaching, in the trenches and at QB.

Those 3 areas need to show marked improvement before juju and hardman departures are material to the comparison. 

According to you

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nineforty said:

isn't he a caught cheater? and if your reply is "everyone does it", don't bother.

The PED suspension is huge IMO. I love his talent and he still might have something left in the tank, but it’s a huge risk. The NFL’s policy is to put players in his situation on their enhanced (more frequent) testing program. Another positive test would result in another suspension.

The big question his PED use raises is why did he feel he needed them? If it’s to stay on top of his game, then what’s going to happen to his level of play without them? Was it to recover from injury? That’s not AS concerning, but it’s still a potential issue. As good as he’s been, this is a non-starter for me. The risk is too high.

Edit: It’s only Hopkins’ first positive test. CBA rules require a 6 game suspension for first positive test for anabolic agent. I was quoting the old CBA rules. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm hoping that, if nothing else, the Bills being in on Hopkins means they recognize the need for a bona fide #2 WR. 

If they feel the need is sufficient to consider trading for a Deandre Hopkins, then they must feel it's a fairly big need indeed. That being the case, hopefully they spend high draft capital on the position if the Nuke trade doesn't come through.

If they can’t reel in DH, are you saying they should give it the ‘OL college try?

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't disagree with this notion in theory, but if they get Hopkins, it's hard to see how they'd have the roster room to also add a highly drafted rook.

Diggs
Hopkins
Davis
Shakir
Harty
Sherfield

MAYBE they'd carry 7 receivers. But with Harty and Sherfield both having special teams roes, said rookie would probably find himself inactive on game days in year one. 

With a currently glaring need at MLB, as well as similar "youth in the pipeline" needs at DT, DE, and S, it's hard to see them acquiring Nuke and ALSO drafting a receiver in the first three founds. I'd be thrilled if they did, but I don't think they would.

I agree, If we trade for Hopkins it'll be a heavy defensive draft. Especially, if we trade Oliver. We would likely draft 1 maybe even 2 dts for our dt rotation. We need a mlb still and a DE if Vonn isn't healthy. Plus both our safeties are at the ends of their contracts. I am expecting a heavy defensive draft for sure. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Ooooh that’s a good question… This will need its own thread. Maybe two, a poll before the draft, and another after. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, BarleyNY said:

The PED suspension is huge IMO. The NFL keeps the first infraction private and no suspension is given. So he has had two. I love his talent and he still might have something left in the tank, but it’s a huge risk. The NFL’s policy is to put players in his situation on their enhanced (more frequent) testing program. Another positive test would result in another suspension.

The big question his PED use raises is why did he feel he needed them? If it’s to stay on top of his game, then what’s going to happen to his level of play without them? Was it to recover from injury? That’s not AS concerning, but it’s still a potential issue. As good as he’s been, this is a non-starter for me. The risk is too high.

That’s the biggest question that I have and my only concern.  It’s a big concern though 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm hoping that, if nothing else, the Bills being in on Hopkins means they recognize the need for a bona fide #2 WR. 

If they feel the need is sufficient to consider trading for a Deandre Hopkins, then they must feel it's a fairly big need indeed. That being the case, hopefully they spend high draft capital on the position if the Nuke trade doesn't come through.

My hope too, they are showing the recognition of the need for another offensive playmaker (kind of like last years search for pass rusher).  

So, if not D Hop, then keep looking.  There's OBJ, J Jeudy, trading Oliver and 27 for Chicago #9.  Keep trying.  I hope they can get D Hop, he's my top choice.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

The PED suspension is huge IMO. The NFL keeps the first infraction private and no suspension is given. So he has had two. I love his talent and he still might have something left in the tank, but it’s a huge risk. The NFL’s policy is to put players in his situation on their enhanced (more frequent) testing program. Another positive test would result in another suspension.

Relatedly - he’s never been known as a practice player - all kinds of issues in Houston with showing up and going hard in practice.  Coupled with the age and the PED issues and there’s some serious red flags.

But still - he has vice-grip hands and remains an elite talent.  Probably a risk worth taking.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Use Oliver to get DHop. 

make another to replace Oliver 

head to Draft and draft BPA every round. 

Buckner's $18,000,000 base salary seems......kind of impossible to fit under the Bills' cap. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

More teams entering the Hopkins sweepstakes allegedly too now...

https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2023/03/23/two-new-teams-in-deandre-hopkins-sweepstakes/

That is from weeks ago.....the Chiefs being front runners part

Titans and Falcons?  Why would they do it

Edited by Warriorspikes51

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

According to you

This insufferably miserable posters will form like Voltron (the sucky car version) and combine them all. 

739.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Relatedly - he’s never been known as a practice player - all kinds of issues in Houston with showing up and going hard in practice.  Coupled with the age and the PED issues and there’s some serious red flags.

But still - he has vice-grip hands and remains an elite talent.  Probably a risk worth taking.

I see the potential upside - and I see the need for a bold move on the offensive side of the ball - but the downside is pretty rough.

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

That is from weeks ago.....the Chiefs being front runners part

It is from today, not weeks ago.  Chiefs are not one of the two new teams entering the picture they are referencing.  And its on twitter too.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:
6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Season 8 Bravo GIF

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I see the potential upside - and I see the need for a bold move on the offensive side of the ball - but the downside is pretty rough.

Assume you are the GM. Is the downside so significant that you switch targets and think about Jeudy or do you just stand pat and see what the draft offers?