Chargers - Mike Williams and Joey Bosa hurt in meaningless game

Big Blitz

Chargers coach defending playing his starters in a completely meaningless game, Mike Williams fractured his back and is out, Bosa also injured.
Chargers coach Brandon Staley on Thursday defended his decision to play his starters against the Broncos.

"It's difficult to decide who plays and who doesn't and who is more valuable than the rest," Staley said. "What you are trying to do is set a standard for your program about how you do things. That is what I believe in, and I didn't want anybody to get hurt in [the game], regardless of their status, because everybody is important."

There are different schools of thought on resting players in meaningless games ... but saying it is difficult deciding who is more valuable to your team?

He should have asked me, I could have easily told him that.

What a moron.

Edited by Turk71
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, papazoid said:

chargers are a preferred destination by sean payton

staley is toast

I think Dallas is Payton’s first choice, followed closely by the Chargers job. McCarthy and/or Staley both could be fired if their teams lose this weekend if those teams believe they can get Payton in there. 

6 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Reading the Chargers' board, there is speculation that the decision to play the starters in a meaningless game was not Staley's. Along with analytics, he is big into sports science. He doesn't play starters in preseason and doesn't practice on Wednesdays because he doesn't want the players' bodies to take the abuse and is big into resting players rather than getting additional reps. So either the players wanted to play because of contract incentives or Spanos forced his hand. I have no idea if this is true, but that's what they're saying.

They also get into the endless debates about QB rankings and feel that Herbert is disrespected. For some reason, Josh being ranked above Herbert is the one that get's under their skin the most. 

Don't see how.  Williams just got a massive contract.  

He’s missed most of the season anyway.  So what stats could he have possibly been trying make?

Its more believable the team - several of them missed most of the season Williams and Allen the two main ones - just wanted to get more reps together and momentum going in to the post season because Herbert has been very just meh.  

I’m sure the players were fine with it but the Coach absolutely has final say. 

Your made of glass WR didn’t need to play.  I’m not sure he’s fully recovered from that ankle sprain anyway.  

On 1/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Staley is the biggest problem in that building. He’s lucky he’s playing a pretty weak opponent this week

I think the Chargers lose to the lesser opponent on the road this week!

On 1/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, Eastport bills said:

Mike is made of glass and Joey gets hurt a lot. The Chargers are ripe for a 1st rd dismissal.

Agreed, one and done this year.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:23 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Staley is the biggest problem in that building. He’s lucky he’s playing a pretty weak opponent this week

They won’t be that weak at home in Jax , with a better head coach.   The Bills have usually struggled here against lesser talented teams , like last year and with Blake Bortles at Qb in the Bills playoff loss here. Just saying , at home they can be a tough out. With all the charger injuries, a Jax win wouldn’t be a huge shock.  ( not a big jags fan as it’s a franchise that just put crappy products on the field after Coughlin left and Wayne Weaver sold the team to this guy bent on fostering his London obsession).
Have always been a Bills fan but I was an original club STH for the jags as my first office was below the original group of cardiologists and city financial guys who were instrumental in the early bids moving forward before they needed a huge money guy in Weaver.   Met him and his wife and they were very genuinely kind people interested in Jax.   Current owner does a lot IN Jax , but is more a globalist, and I am not sure he ever understood the NFL and actual American football. 

Edited by DrPJax

9 hours ago, Billznut said:

I think Dallas is Payton’s first choice, followed closely by the Chargers job. McCarthy and/or Staley both could be fired if their teams lose this weekend if those teams believe they can get Payton in there. 

I'm betting on Denver. Can Payton coexist with Jerry's meddling ways? If you look at Denver's team, it's eerily similar to his Saints teams. 

10 hours ago, Billznut said:

Sure hope he goes to Chargers. 1) The Chiefs need competition in their division!!!  2) Keeps him away from AFC East. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Manther said:

I think the Chargers lose to the lesser opponent on the road this week!

Agreed, one and done this year.

I’m not sure Jax is the lesser opponent. They killed the chargers earlier this year. Lawrence is used to playing and winning in playoff games in college. Pederson is experienced winning in the playoffs. They have a great defense. Not having mike Williams will really hurt the lac offense.  

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

IF Staley wasn’t an absolute, in game buffoon already, like Cliff Clownsbury, you might give him a pass here for this idiocy! On second thought- NOOOOOOO! Get out you useless hack, who is 100% responsible for this year’s Chargers Train Wreck!

If the Chargers lose tonight, his week 18 decisions this year and last might be enough to get him fired. 

Enter Sean Payton - what coach wouldn't want to work with Justin Herbert ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Who do we think has a better chance to go into KC next week and beat the Chiefs? Chargers w/o Williams?  I think I’d rather see the Jags advance.  Chargers just never seem to get it done vs KC and I don’t think Herbert’s up to the task.

I understand what Staley is trying to say. But backups are backups and it is what it is. They play when a starter is injured or the game is already won or if it is a meaningless game. The starters are more important players. They aren’t more important people. But it’s a game not a court room or an emergency room. He rolled the dice and lost. He’s not the first. Patriots did the same with Wes Welker and he tore his knee.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, mannc said:

Who do we think has a better chance to go into KC next week and beat the Chiefs? Chargers w/o Williams?  I think I’d rather see the Jags advance.  Chargers just never seem to get it done vs KC and I don’t think Herbert’s up to the task.

Based on how well Herbert has played down the stretch, I think he’s up for it. Idiocy in coaching is the thing that really makes me question whether the Chargers have it in them to take out the Chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I'm betting on Denver. Can Payton coexist with Jerry's meddling ways? If you look at Denver's team, it's eerily similar to his Saints teams. 

Denver would most likely offer Payton the most money and power. I’d still put Denver at #3 for him behind Dallas and LAC. After this weekend we will know whether there are any vacancies in those two cities. 

3 hours ago, CoudyBills said:

Turns out the Jags started Peterman so...no problem.

Tried telling people this is not a “ weak” Jags team, but it comes down to good coaching at critical times.  Jags personnel won’t match up well against KC and Reid is as good or better than the Jags head coach , so I think KC gets a pretty easy win.  But this game it came down to the head coach overcoming his qb throwing 4 first half picks. 

Peterson made critical choices ; he went up tempo to give them enough possession time to come back , he went for 2, not 1, when Bosa was stupid enough to throw his helmet prior to the post td conversion ( he stated post game he would not have gone for two if not for bosa!) and pm 4 th and a foot they run a wide toss with etienne instead of the qb sneak and puts them in winning fg position.  Huge calls and meanwhile under the great coaching on the Bolts sideline they melted down blowing at one point a 27-0 lead.  That head coach acts like he is on stimulants or has adult adhd ; watch his interview coming oit at half and he is talking so fast it’s like a flight of ideas. If this disaster piled on top of last week doesn’t get this freak fired, I don’t know what would. That roster is loaded with talent and you have a premiere qb and looks like this would be the most desirable job  in the NFL. 

Once again tho this proves in the NFL you need a really good qb, a very good head coach , and I think the gm is proving to be critical as well in keeping a franchise relevant and in playoff contention regularly.   We have all that in Buffalo , now Mcd has to prove he can get to that final step in coaching and at least get to the Super Bowl. There is no one better as a team builder or culture creator than Sean and this has been his best coaching year by far.  I think he deserves coach of the year by a wide margin, but the teams playoff performance may decide that as people outside of Buffalo may not appreciate all he has negotiated this year. 

Hopefully the Bills don’t take the fins lightly tomorrow and get out with  a w and injury free. Hamlins stop by today I’m sure will have them relaxed and it’s up to the leaders and coaching to come out sharp early. . The Bolts proved tonight there is never a sure thing and you have to keep the gas pedal down  in the playoffs.  If we get out healthy and if Hyde somehow got back for the following game , that would be a great chance to keep advancing giving Mcd a chance to finally put last year way behind him. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Tried telling people this is not a “ weak” Jags team, but it comes down to good coaching at critical times.  Jags personnel won’t match up well against KC and Reid is as good or better than the Jags head coach , so I think KC gets a pretty easy win.  But this game it came down to the head coach overcoming his qb throwing 4 first half picks. 

Peterson made critical choices ; he went up tempo to give them enough possession time to come back , he went for 2, not 1, when Bosa was stupid enough to throw his helmet prior to the post td conversion ( he stated post game he would not have gone for two if not for bosa!) and pm 4 th and a foot they run a wide toss with etienne instead of the qb sneak and puts them in winning fg position.  Huge calls and meanwhile under the great coaching on the Bolts sideline they melted down blowing at one point a 27-0 lead.  That head coach acts like he is on stimulants or has adult adhd ; watch his interview coming oit at half and he is talking so fast it’s like a flight of ideas. If this disaster piled on top of last week doesn’t get this freak fired, I don’t know what would. That roster is loaded with talent and you have a premiere qb and looks like this would be the most desirable job  in the NFL. 

Once again tho this proves in the NFL you need a really good qb, a very good head coach , and I think the gm is proving to be critical as well in keeping a franchise relevant and in playoff contention regularly.   We have all that in Buffalo , now Mcd has to prove he can get to that final step in coaching and at least get to the Super Bowl. There is no one better as a team builder or culture creator than Sean and this has been his best coaching year by far.  I think he deserves coach of the year by a wide margin, but the teams playoff performance may decide that as people outside of Buffalo may not appreciate all he has negotiated this year. 

Hopefully the Bills don’t take the fins lightly tomorrow and get out with  a w and injury free. Hamlins stop by today I’m sure will have them relaxed and it’s up to the leaders and coaching to come out sharp early. . The Bolts proved tonight there is never a sure thing and you have to keep the gas pedal down  in the playoffs.  If we get out healthy and if Hyde somehow got back for the following game , that would be a great chance to keep advancing giving Mcd a chance to finally put last year way behind him. 

Pederson knows Reid inside out. He was the backup and starter QB for Reid during McNabb's rookie season.

He also won a Super Bowl as HC with Nick Foles and Carson Wentz as QB. Let that sink in.

Jags came on tough in the second half of the season. Lawrence is a very good QB that makes Zay Jones look like a legitimate NFL WR. The last NFL QB to make Zay Jones look like an NFL WR was Josh Allen.

Don't sleep on the Jags. They are missing top end talent, but coaching and QB play are there. You never know. The Chiefs lost to the Colts.

The Jags won't go away quietly.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Pederson knows Reid inside out. He was the backup and starter QB for Reid during McNabb's rookie season.

He also won a Super Bowl as HC with Nick Foles and Carson Wentz as QB. Let that sink in.

Jags came on tough in the second half of the season. Lawrence is a very good QB that makes Zay Jones look like a legitimate NFL WR.

Don't sleep on the Jags. They are missing top end talent, but coaching and QB play are there. You never know.

I won't argue with any of that.

But they cannot play a goggle-eyed first half next week like the one they just played against SD; if they do, the Chiefs will never let them back in the game.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I won't argue with any of that.

But they cannot play a goggle-eyed first half next week like the one they just played against SD; if they do, the Chiefs will never let them back in the game.

Simon! Nice to agree with you! 😉

Jags are playing with house money now. I think 2/3 of games the Jags get boat raced due to lack of top end talent. But Pederson is a very good coach. This year's Jags did not have as terrible a first half before. They also never had such an offensive explosion as they did in the second half.

Certainly, the Jags are underdogs to the Chiefs. Yes once again the Chiefs seem to have an easy path to the SB other than the AFC Championship game. I just think this year's playoffs will be a bit odd.

Hoping that does not play into our game. Bills should boat race the Dolphins, but you never know....

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I agree with most of this.  Staley deserves a lot of blame but so does Herbert (missed a wide open Keenan Allen for a TD) and Lombardi for not running the darn ball in the second half.  Chargers pry should've hired Daboll but I'm guessing Staley nailed the interview as he seems like a guy that can talk a really good game.  Peterson had a sensational second half managing the game and Lawrence was great.  Sometimes I think we focus too much on the team that lost mistakes and not the team that played flawless in this case in the second half.  Props to the Jaguars.  Hope to see them next weekend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, Big Blitz said:

Herbert banged up to.  

I’m not sure what Staley was supposed to do.  

But I would not have played either.   

Three Chargers injured against Broncos. Why did Brandon Staley play starters?

DENVER —  

A couple of questions into his postgame news conference, Chargers coach Brandon Staley was asked whether receiver Mike Williams could have returned after departing the game in the second quarter with a back injury.

“Possibly,” Staley said, “yeah.”

Unless Staley uses an unconventional definition of “returned” or received inaccurate information from the team’s medical staff, he lied.

Quarterback Justin Herbert’s most explosive target, Williams was unable to walk on his own power later on Sunday when he made his way to the team bus from the visiting locker room at Empower Field. His arm was draped over the right shoulder of a Chargers’ staffer, who held him around his lower back. Williams shuffled his feet slowly.

What a debacle.

What an absolute Charger of a debacle.

With the Chargers locked in as the AFC’s No. 5 seed before kickoff, the game was a meaningless exercise until Staley decided it wasn’t, and they now could be forced to play their postseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars without Williams, linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr. and edge rusher Joey Bosa.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/chargers/story/2023-01-08/hernandez-analyzes-chargers-at-broncos?_amp=true

Well it definitely was a debacle.

I’m looking at the drive-by-drive breakdown on NFL.com. Sometimes you can see things by reading that you miss while watching. This game flipped on the first drives of the second half and it was, to a large degree, coaching. Staley, the king of going for it on 4th down, punted on the first possession of the 2nd half from the Jax 38. That was after 3 straight incompletions. The Chargers were up 20, have a dynamic running back, and abandoned the run. The. ensuing drive was a 17 play 7 minute drive that resulted in the Jags second TD. The play calling was great. It was all runs and short passes to get Lawrence’s confidence back. All the big plays were YAC. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I just picture the chargers broncos games next year with Benny Hill music and Peyton sprinting from sideline to sideline 

Remember when playing pickup football years ago, you would sometimes use the best player as 'official QB' for both teams?  Peyton can be the first 'official coach'.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree with most of this.  Staley deserves a lot of blame but so does Herbert (missed a wide open Keenan Allen for a TD) and Lombardi for not running the darn ball in the second half.  Chargers pry should've hired Daboll but I'm guessing Staley nailed the interview as he seems like a guy that can talk a really good game.  Peterson had a sensational second half managing the game and Lawrence was great.  Sometimes I think we focus too much on the team that lost mistakes and not the team that played flawless in this case in the second half.  Props to the Jaguars.  Hope to see them next weekend.

Daboll did talk a lot about like being near "home" (born in  Welland, Ontario, Canada and raised in West Seneca) so maybe his heart was not in coaching on West Coast and believes Jiants more likely to keep on contact having a stable ownership.  Jaguars did great adjustments for 2nd half and I figured game was going to be a blowout for Chargers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.