Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

With any sedative you need to take account of patient medical history. 

Some are not affective due to body chemistry or previous medications and the NFL players have had a lot of them. 

I was in surgery and was supposed to be completely out of it and while I was not making voluntary muscle movements and not in pain I was completely awake.

I could feel doctor doing moving of parts and cutting and stitching. 

I even recalled some things said in operating room which verified what I heard on table.

When operation was done they gave me a pain killer which was supposed to put me out for 8 hours and I woke up in an hour screaming before the doctor on call had me given a different medication.

From Bruce Willis's Armageddon (1998):

Dr. Banks: [going through the roughnecks' medical reports] Fail. Fail. Depressively fail! One toxicology analysis revealed ketamin, that is a very powerful sedative!

Harry: Sedatives are used all the time, doctor.

Dr. Banks: Well this one's used on horses.

Harry: Some of these guys are pretty big.

Dr. Banks: [to Truman] You know, it would normally take 18 months to psychologically prepare pre-screened, viable subjects for space travel. We have seen evidence of a wide variety of territorial aggression.

Dan: Can they *physically* survive the trip? That's all I need to know here, okay?

Dr. Banks: Personally, I don't know how they survived the tests.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Depends on the doctor to be honest some doctors have preferences which drugs they like to order. Also depends on other factors with the patient.

1) Propfol is common, but is lipid based. Prolonged use or high levels can cause your lipid levels to sky rocket. Propofol is purely to put you to sleep. Works fast and wears off fast. Referred to as milk of amnesia cause it looks like milk. Also, its what Michael Jackson's doctor gave him that killed him. Patients will say they never slept so good as when they were on it. Well Mike had his personal MD give it to him as a sleep aid and he gave him too much.

2) Fentanyl is commonly used in conjunction with the sedative as it will keep the patient comfortable. It will also help reduce the patients respiratory drive if the patient is breathing against the ventilator.

3) Versed is sometimes used in place of propofol, but takes a prolonged amount of time to clear the system and makes it difficult to assess brain activity.

4) ketamine is sometimes used but require high volumes of fluids which you want to be cautious of if there are kidney issues. You don't want to fluid overload the patient.

5) precedex is commonly used in conjunction with fentanyl too. However, its what I refer to as a light sedative and/or anxiolytic. Its the only one that the patient can be on during the SBT and after extubation because it doesn't reduce respiratory drive. Although it can reduce HR and cause bradycardia which is HR <60

These are some of the most common. They are run on a continuous rate that the RN will titrate to meet the goals of sedation.

Appreciate that buddy

16 minutes ago, Gunvald&#x27;s Husse said:

I actually agree that they have been pretty good - I was just commenting on this one issue - and I agree that he wasn't trying to push his views on others, but by praying outloud that was the effect  

I understand where you're coming from and I respect it. 

Personally I don't care if he was Muslim, Jewish etc I just appreciated the gesture but you do have a point 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Except that some recent protocols people have linked treat cardiac arrest where the patient does not resume consciousness after circulation is restored, with 24-48 hrs in a medically induced coma/medically induced hypothermia, followed by a 17-20 hr gradual rewarming - before any attempt to "ease the patient into resuming normal brain activity". 

I have no information on what is really "standard" these days, but in the past the NFL has pretty much used cutting edge therapy to treat injured players (Kevin Everett, Ryan Shazir), so even if 24 hrs is "standard" why do we believe it applies here?

All I know is you don't want to keep them under to long because the breath tub builds up water in the longs and can cause Pneumonia

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How many of us are right now wishing some trivial thing had altered time to prevent the incident. i.e. different play calling for him to be on sideline.  ive wondered if maybe we didnt draft him, none of this wouldve ever happened or been even a concern. maybe hed got banged up in practice and was out this week?

something to throw him off this timeline, where even if we didnt know what we avoided, wouldve caused this to never happen....

now think about the red light on the way home from work that pisses you off. or missing a flight, or getting a cold, things that upset us as humans. have to wonder how many near misses or avoided tragedies we've all had. i guess what im getting at is a more grateful outlook, in more of our lives, as humans. life is fragile, hug the ppl around you, even when they annoy or make mistakes.

[for the believers in the group] anyone else look at this event and think how many potential players, staff, and fans this could bring closer to God. Im not the best at remembering to pray, reading my Bible, or at being a believer... but i know its stirred up a pretty emotional outpouring in the last 24hrs. How many hurting souls could find comfort from faith now, temporary or full time life changing experiences for these young hurt men.

last thing i ever try to do is cram a belief at anyone, but if youre feeling that heartstring being pulled, explore it. Im devastated today, and glad to have this board as an outlet.

I was thinking the samething what if he just went in low for the tackle and didn't have his chest open to take a hit

5 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Who do you think told the team to warm up? The coaches. Then you see discussions with McDermott and the head official. Taylor walks over with an official, he was probably called over. Then McDermott likely said his players can’t play right now.

People are making it seem like the NFL was pushing them to play. They never had to play. The right decision was to leave it in the hands of the players and coaches. That’s exactly what seemed to happen. 

But yes, playing was an option. No one was being forced to play however. Why is this even an issue? No one needs any criticism here. There’s no reason for this discussion. A players life hopefully was saved after a freak accident. 

Yeah i agree. I think NFL personnel and refs on field were starting standard procedures for injuries. And then i think the teams went to locker room waiting for the NFL league office to get all the information before making a decision.

Also think they could have just been trying to make it look like they were gonna play again so fans dont leave and the ambulance has trouble getting to hospital with all the traffic.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

So to be clear, the NFL has a trauma team that they bring in for each game and this team sits at the local hospital just in case something happens? 

That’s what was talked about on ESPN. That they identify the level one trauma center they will go to if something happens and have a team dedicated standing by. 

• Agree 1

the NYT article posted on the board is an excellent summation of current thinking by experts.  I recommend that those interested in the medical aspects read it.  It echos much of what has been said here.  i think it's important to realize that given the rarity of the possible cause of the collapse, there are few experts available.  The knowledge base is mostly the few studies that have been done and are available to read but can be difficult to interpret.  If you're not interested, then ignore the speculation but many clearly are interested based on questions asked on this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That’s what was talked about on ESPN. That they identify the level one trauma center they will go to if something happens and have a team dedicated standing by. 

Right that sounds reasonable. They use the local trauma team at the hospital. I was under the impression that someone was implying the NFL had their own trauma team, paid for by the NFL who do not work on other trauma cases and that they just wait around just in case there is an injury to a player. 

My question is if it's true his heart stopped at hospital does that indicate that the hit to the chest didnt necessarily cause the heart issue. From my understanding based off what these doctors are saying is a hit to the chest causes the heart electrical sustem to get out of whack. But if its started again with CPR or AED then it should go back to normal and its just a case of how much damage is caused. If his heart stopped again does that mean there is something underlying or could the first cardiac arrest cause multiple?

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

My question is if it's true his heart stopped at hospital does that indicate that the hit to the chest didnt necessarily cause the heart issue. From my understanding based off what these doctors are saying is a hit to the chest causes the heart electrical sustem to get out of whack. But if its started again with CPR or AED then it should go back to normal and its just a case of how much damage is caused. If his heart stopped again does that mean there is something underlying or could the first cardiac arrest cause multiple?

Good question. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

The way my layman’s understanding goes, is that if it was a 1:1,000,000 bad luck hit, then the heart essentially stalled. Meaning it was good to go, freak accident, restart the “engine” and go along on your merry way. 

If there were multiple resuscitations, then that takes the freak hit off the list of probable causes. 

We need to look at his heart and see what kind of shape it’s in, if there is any scarring/swelling/etc and what may have caused it to understand WTF happened Monday. 

God unlimited prayers for Damar 🙏🙏🙏

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

can we keep this thread about Damar please.  Keep your agendas to another thread kindly.

"Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said “A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, And then I’ll rise and Fight again."

Fight on Damar! Rise again!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Over 6 Million to his charity now

Love seeing the country unite for this young man.   I'm getting messages from family members who aren't even football fans, much less Bills fans saying they donated to it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

can we keep this thread about Damar please.  Keep your agendas to another thread kindly.

"Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said “A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, And then I’ll rise and Fight again."

Fight on Damar! Rise again!

Thank you.  Needed that this morning.

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m just surprised there has been zero info from the hospital. A statement, breakdown of events…. 

Not saying it’s bad, just nothing other than from his personal friends and family.

Unless they get permission from the family I don't think the hospital can release any information other than to confirm that he's there and receiving care.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

I’m just surprised there has been zero info from the hospital. A statement, breakdown of events…. 

Not saying it’s bad, just nothing other than from his personal friends and family.

They’ll take him off the ventilator and he may not make it despite any number of positive indicators.  I think it makes a lot of sense not to give official statements.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DaggersEOD said:

The way my layman’s understanding goes, is that if it was a 1:1,000,000 bad luck hit, then the heart essentially stalled. Meaning it was good to go, freak accident, restart the “engine” and go along on your merry way. 

If there were multiple resuscitations, then that takes the freak hit off the list of probable causes. 

Every football game there are players hit in the chest during similar intervals. Football players also wear pads.

Commotio Cordis usually happens in baseball.

If this indeed was Commotio Cordis, it is possible he has an underlying condition. For example, if he has myocarditis (heart inflammation) due to an infection, this would significantly increase his chances of a cardiac arrest during the contact.

Correlation is not causation. It is possible the hit may of had nothing to do with the cardiac arrest. Many young athletes die every year due to some undiagnosed heart condition.

It should also be pointed out Chris Pronger who was hit in the chest by a puck in 1998 was unconscious for only 20 seconds. If you watch the full video he is conscious, talking, and moving when leaving the ice rink.

Edited by dabillsfan85
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

It's her. She is a retired reporter, not a doctor and IMO incredibly misguided in posting some study with conditions completely unlike what happened to Hamlin. 

Yeah but, she was really good at getting TBD shirts for the tailgate!

10 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Here is some high-quality insight into what is likely going on in situations such as Hamlin's.  Some speculation as well, albeit from very good sources.  

https://triblive.com/sports/next-24-hours-critical-to-hamlin-recovery-experts-say/

Here is literature on prognosis and therapy after cardiac arrest induced coma:

https://journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/prognosis-and-therapy-after-cardiac-arrest-induced-coma/2009-08

Screenshot-2023-01-04-082910.png

Some patients regain complete neurological function in a period of days or months. Other patients never regain neurological function. As many have stated before, this could be a marathon.

32 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I know we all keep checking for updates multiple times per day. I think unfortunately there just isn't really anything to report right now. Damar's family would be thrilled to get positive news to report and would have that leaked or have the hospital staff make a statement. But the situation is still critical. 

36 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

While this is a unique situation all over the news and whatnot.  It would be an exception for a hospital to talk about the situation publicly and they would need permission to do so.  There are laws about this stuff.   Also, from having been through dire situations with loved ones I can tell you sometimes you just have to wait.  People assume no news is bad news but its not.   If the DR's knew there was dramatic negative things going on they would tell his family, we dont know what they have said other than from interviews from his uncle and whatnot, it all sounds to me like this is wait and see.  There are risks but there is probably also reason to be optimistic.

40 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Unless they get permission from the family I don't think the hospital can release any information other than to confirm that he's there and receiving care.

Ya, osha laws etc. Also I don't think there's much to tell outside of he's still sedated

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.