Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

36 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I would say so, nuerologically intact means there is no damage to the nerves or vervous system that would otherwise cause a person not to be able to function in a neurological sense, like impaired movement or impaired thought process. It's a medical term, I believe.

Does this mean anything about brain damage? I know theres major concerns there too

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Apparently there are gradations from 1-5: https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.108.828095

1 and 2 are considered "neurologically intact." 1 is no effects, and 2 is moderate dysfunction. Non-NIS categories are 3, 4, and 5.

Thanks, that's a great source but I'm not sure if it's the standard of care (NIS) and how you quantify the moderate dysfunction, especially in Damar's case compared to time of discharge.  

3 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Does this mean anything about brain damage? I know theres major concerns there too

I would imagine this means no brain damage. They had a doctor on First Take, and they have said they would only use that term if the patient could move all their extrematies and was able to understand commands.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

So damn happy to see this news right now. I've been just following the injury thread the last few days as I don't have it in me to post. 

Seeing the title change makes my ***** week somewhat better already.  I've honestly slept like complete crap since Monday night and hope this starts to change. 

Next up - 100% recovery and seeing Hamlin on the field in a Bills uniform again someday. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I would say so, nuerologically intact means there is no damage to the nerves or vervous system that would otherwise cause a person not to be able to function in a neurological sense, like impaired movement or impaired thought process. It's a medical term, I believe.

A little note of caution.  What “neurologically intact” probably means in this medical context is they brought him out of sedation, and started talking to him and asking him to respond.  Questions to respond with a blink or hand squeeze if he can feel touch on hands and feet, move hands and feet.

They may have disconnected the vent and trialed if he could breathe on his own.  “Lungs continue to heal” may mean that he’s still on the ventilator.  

Again like having a pulse as he left the field, it’s good.  It’s very very good.  It beats the hell out of the alternative.  

Ir’s a very very very good sign, but at this point may not go as far as “no impairment” to physical or mental abilities.  But 60 hrs post event this is fantastic progress

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.