Opponents' 3rd and long scare anyone else?

The Red King

It may be perspective, I didn't check the numbers, but I worry about 3rd and long because our D seems bad at it.  I'm actually more confident with 3rd and short.  We just seem to keep getting torched on 3rd and 10, 3rd and 12, etc.  3rd and long and you can usually pressure the offense, but it seems we do the opposite, giving the QB time to kill us.

Again, maybe I'm wrong, but for all our strengths we just don't look good on third and long plays.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6

3rd down has been a bit of an issue for the defense this year. Think is directly linked to the injuries and constant shuffling in the secondary. They were the best 3rd down defense in football last year and it wasn't close. They were top 10 in 2018 and 2019 too and just outside the top 10 in 2020. This is a bit of a down year but then no Hyde most of the year, no White over half of the year, shuffling guys in and out - Benford, Lewis, Hamlin, Johnson - have all played a fair number of snaps. That's three 6th rounders and an UDFA.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Time for Frazier to prove he can come up with schemes and adjust his D  those 3rd downs with slippery Mahomes running around or those other likely playoff bound QBs who likewise need to be pressured.  

We’ve been spending and drafting for that D-Line and in this, “our year”, we brought in Von to be our closer to fill in those deficiencies but he’s gone.  Time for Frazier to step up and show us all that he’s got (and some tackling drills might help).

It’s a narrow window we gotta strike now.  Josh can’t walk on water forever.

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

This board is literally scared of every G*d damn thing known to man. I feel like I'm in the movie The Replacements.

I guess I'll join in and give it a whirl..... Spiders. Anyone else scared of spiders?

More scared of bees to tell you the truth.  Or more accurately, wasps.

Edited by The Wiz

Umm, no. I don’t watch Bills games scared and I don’t expect the worst. I think what they have done on defense with all of the injuries is pretty remarkable, and I expect them to improve as they get healthier in the secondary. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We are the 17th best 3rd down defense in the league!  Never mind 3rd and long...

39.34% tied with Bengals for 17th.

Very average.  

But it all seems to work out OK in the end.

Average does not feel right for this defense but there have been lots of injuries and they have played tougher opponents than say last year.

21 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm trying, but I just can't find the stats.  3rd down overall, but not 3rd and long.  Not defensively at least.

I don't have a ranking on it - but they have given up a first down on 24 pass plays from 3rd and 7 or longer.  there have been 84 pass attempts and 4 sacks - so 24/88 plays.  

The offense has 19 conversions on pass plays across the same time.  If that seems low in comparison - note that we have only faced 3rd and long 67 times this year.

So my guess is its high - for both offense and defense.  At least we have a veteran CB coming back, and all of the other guys have taken their lumps through the season.  It's an area that I think they can improve upon simply with the reps their getting, not necessarily strategy.  

I understand the nervous reactions to everything Bills having followed them for more than 50 years, but the key is points given up.  Dolphins got field goals when they should have been TDs based on field position.  Same in Vikings game before the fumble.  I agree it may have to do with the DBs and Safety changes every week, but I'll take our chances against any of the playoff teams.  Let them move the ball but keep them out of the endzone.  I know we are still a top 5 defense in points allowed so take it easy everyone (although I know you can't)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

I understand the nervous reactions to everything Bills having followed them for more than 50 years, but the key is points given up.  Dolphins got field goals when they should have been TDs based on field position.  Same in Vikings game before the fumble.  I agree it may have to do with the DBs and Safety changes every week, but I'll take our chances against any of the playoff teams.  Let them move the ball but keep them out of the endzone.  I know we are still a top 5 defense in points allowed so take it easy everyone (although I know you can't)

This..      I know everybody (including myself) would like us to be the reincarnate of the 85 Bears / 2000 Ravens / 2002 Bucs defence.. but unfortunately that died when Micah and Von went down.   We are now the epitome of a 'bend don't break defense'...  Many teams (including the Chiefs) have won Superbowls with similar type defenses... Those chances increases significantly when you have a hybrid Superhero Buffalo behind center

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Average does not feel right for this defense but there have been lots of injuries and they have played tougher opponents than say last year.

Despite all the injuries our D is #5 at defensive DVOA. 

Nope. Not worried.

Concerned, but I'll always be concerned.

It’s a Bills tradition to give up thirds and long, they have been doing it for damn near forever, 😂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.