OT…Bills have one skill talent player from a cold weather state

78thealltimegreat

Someone brought up on the radio today the Bills have exactly 1 skill talent player from a cold weather state on their active  roster and they really do with Jake on IR ....

Gillam Florida 

Singletary Florida Atlantic

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

John Brown Pittsburg State Ks

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Shakir Boise State obviously cold here

Not a big deal at the nfl level but just odd the way the roster was constructed with no receivers who played in cold weather and you play in Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Someone brought up on the radio today the Bills have exactly 1 skill talent player from a cold weather state on their active  roster and they really do with Jake on IR ....

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Not a big deal at the nfl level but just odd the way the roster was constructed with no receivers who played in cold weather and you play in Buffalo 

Just a reflection of where the College talent is. It’s been that way for a long time now. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Allen played in Wyoming.

It's less about growing up in cold/snow than it is about playing in it regularly. Anyone can become accustomed to it but it's a lot harder for teams that aren't used to it to get over that mental hurdle of playing in it. 

Sometimes you can see those teams are defeated by the weather before even getting on the field.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don't think it matters where you played in college.  When you live and work in cold weather you get used to it.  At least a lot more than players in Miami.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen played in Wyoming.

It's less about growing up in cold/snow than it is about playing in it regularly. Anyone can become accustomed to it but it's a lot harder for teams that aren't used to it to get over that mental hurdle of playing in it. 

Sometimes you can see those teams are defeated by the weather before even getting on the field.

yep - Sal mentioned that on WGR this morning.  Let’s hope that’s the case with the Phins!

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Allen played in Wyoming.

Mac Jones looked defeated by the cold in that Wildcard game.

• Like (+1) 1

Just as an aside, I'm not sure listing where they played college ball is being 'from' a cold weather state. That's just where they played college FB.

- Gilliam was born and raised in Ohio and played his college ball at Toledo, not sure where you got Florida from. So has played in the the cold.

- John Brown grew up in Florida, played college football at Pittsburg State, in Kansas. Grew up warm, played in cold.

I'm not sure it matters all that much otherwise warm weather teams would always lose to cold weather teams. Colin Kapernick, raised in warm climate, went to Lambeau when it was like -10 and beat the Packers.

• Like (+1) 2

I think the larger point here is the 2022 Bills aren't the 1992 Bills.  The 1992 squad loved playing in the snow, Bruce would come out in short sleeves when it was 15 degrees, they had a top notch running game, and were physically tough.   The O this year relies a lot more on finesse (as with most other teams!) but the D seem pretty hard nosed.

This week though, Tua is definitely a warm weather guy.  he's not going to like it one bit.

• Like (+1) 3

I think players lived in their teams cities a lot more in the 80's and 90's. It really isn't much of a thing these days. Most guys seem to hunker down in CA or FL for most of the year and have a second place in their teams city. They leave in February and move back in after camp in mid-late August.

That makes just about the entire league warm weather players whose home field happens to be somewhere were it gets cold for a couple of weeks during the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The issue is, this team is built on the pass, great early in the year and much tougher to do as the weather gets worse.  The backend of the schedule, when you have must wins, your team is handicapped.  It’s not the greatest situation.  I don’t understand why a dome wouldn’t be the #1 option in a new stadium. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

The issue is, this team is built on the pass, great early in the year and much tougher to do as the weather gets worse.  The backend of the schedule, when you have must wins, your team is handicapped.  It’s not the greatest situation.  I don’t understand why a dome wouldn’t be the #1 option in a new stadium. 

$

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

because it adds another billion to construction costs....  we are already using more taxpayer money than other teams do for the stadium.. You want to sell that one to Joe and Jane public?

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone have a decent clam chowder recipe?

I don't even really like clam chowder but its a better topic than this.  My chowder preference is not too thin.  Chowder shouldn't be too soupy.  It should have body and coat the mouth.  Manhattan clam chowder can f@#$ right off! 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Anyone have a decent clam chowder recipe?

I don't even really like clam chowder but its a better topic than this.  My chowder preference is not too thin.  Chowder shouldn't be too soupy.  It should have body and coat the mouth.  Manhattan clam chowder can f@#$ right off! 

Why stop at clams?  Do an all out seafood chowder.  I've been kicking around the idea of making a nice chowder since October.  I found this recipe:  https://www.thewickednoodle.com/seafood-chowder-recipe/

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CDogg20 said:

That and the Hyde pick in the end zone sealed his fate

After the Hyde pick, the Pats players seemed to become much more aware of the cold, and that they were up against a better team that was simply having a special game.  They all seemed to be looking fondly at the sidelines with the parkas and the heaters, instead of thinking how to stop the next Bills play.  

The Dolphins are going to try to overcome the cold, so it's important that the Bills smack them in the mouth early, putting some doubt in the minds of the Dolphins players that they'll be able to overcome the cold as well as the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen played in Wyoming.

ARMY: Train the way you fight

NFL Team:  Practice the way you play

If the Bills want a cold weather advantage, they have to practice in it.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I think players lived in their teams cities a lot more in the 80's and 90's. It really isn't much of a thing these days. Most guys seem to hunker down in CA or FL for most of the year and have a second place in their teams city. They leave in February and move back in after camp in mid-late August.

That makes just about the entire league warm weather players whose home field happens to be somewhere were it gets cold for a couple of weeks during the season. 

Maybe we should move all teams to CA and FL.   eyeroll.png

If they are not going to make south teams have domes it makes no sense to make northern teams get them.

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Could you imagine limiting the talent pool to players who play or were brought up in “cold weather”. We would be 1-16. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I don't think it matters where you played in college.  When you live and work in cold weather you get used to it.  At least a lot more than players in Miami.

I wish I could remember where I saw this, or verify it, but somewhere in the last few days I heard Tua has never started a game, in college or the pros, where the temp at kickoff was less than something like 52 degrees. They were citing his two coldest games with dates and locations in college, so they had done some research. Seems hard to believe.

Hope he get a FULL TASTE OF WINTER SATURDAY NIGHT!   😋

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's why people are waiting for you to step up and throw in the extra half billion, House.

He’s having wallet problems again, I’m afraid. Wallet so big it gave him sciatica he took it out and can’t remember where he put it. 

1 minute ago, Herb Nightly said:

Many of them probably played some games "up north" or in snow.

NFL teams have state-of-the-art ,high tech uniforms,shoes, sideline heaters, etc.

Yes, and Miami took those heaters to LA last week. 😂 I suspect they will be tested a bit more this Saturday night in OP. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Yes, and Miami took those heaters to LA last week. 😂 I suspect they will be tested a bit more this Saturday night in OP. 

As I understand the rules, Miami can only use bench heaters if the Bills do.

Bills 22 starters played in college at schools with a current average temperature of 44 degrees, Fish 22 starters played at schools with an current average temperature of 50 degrees, Game time temp is predicted on Saturday to be around 28 degrees.

Edited by BearNorth

3 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

As I understand the rules, Miami can only use bench heaters if the Bills do.

But our sideline just happens to have a hot spring and a lava pit.  IDK, the stadium was just built that way.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Gillam Florida 

Hines NC State

Johnson Miami 

Cook Georgia 

Knox Old Miss

Diggs Maryland

Cole SMU

Davis Central Florida 

Glad you’re not our GM. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.