Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It sure wasn't funny watching him get more than 3 less yards per catch last season.   He clearly lost a step.

A sub 9 yard per catch average for a receiver is terrible.

Duke Johnson is a career 9 yards per catch guy and he's a runnin' back. 

Unfortunately, Beane "dropped the ball" at the WR position and replaced two consistently reliable but punchless, YAC free possession receivers with the injured and unreliable Jamison Crowder and an unplayable Jake Kumerow.

If a D is giving you those 5-9 yd passes there's nothing wrong with taking them. They can be a critical part of our game plan. I don't like marching down the field with 5 yd passes, but those successes will open up the running game as well as the occasional deep ball.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

If a D is giving you those 5-9 yd passes there's nothing wrong with taking them. They can be a critical part of our game plan. I don't like marching down the field with 5 yd passes, but those successes will open up the running game as well as the occasional deep ball.

Yep. Bease could help in a ton of ways. I keep thinking about how the Bills run game and play action will allow him to sit down and get 6-8 yards on first or second down, or the clutch catch on third downs.  Hope he has enough juice for 7 wins. 

11 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Yeah as we've seen........particularly when playing 3 games against division rivals since the bye........the Bills deficiencies in the receiving corps are well identified.

Nothing is coming easy in the air......except maybe situations where they play hurry up and try to trap opponents into favorable personnel matchups like they have been able to do at the end of the half recently.

But if you gotta' play hurry up to not suck that's not championship offense.

They are a station to station offense right now........the big play in any TD drive now is often a back breaking Josh Allen run.

But they lack a reliable 3rd down guy from the slot...........and washed as he may be.......Beasley might still be able to be that guy to keep the chains moving.

Even if you just look at the handful of small plays he made in Tampa this year.........those are things the Bills can't get(sadly) from Lil' Dummy or Shakir.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  Meant to post that in the Sabres Forum.  6 goals in the 3rd period.  Anderson with the shutout.

The funny thing is your comment fits this thread too, if you feel that it's absurd we are signing Beasley out of retirement.

The move smacks of desperation...

If he makes some big grabs, I'll take it!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL.  Meant to post that in the Sabres Forum.  6 goals in the 3rd period.  Anderson with the shutout.

Makes sense. Signing Beas is more of an "Oh. OK. Cool" moment. Not an "OMG!!!1!!1!!!!" :D

Tage with 2 more. On pace for 62! OMG!

19 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yep. Bease could help in a ton of ways. I keep thinking about how the Bills run game and play action will allow him to sit down and get 6-8 yards on first or second down, or the clutch catch on third downs.  Hope he has enough juice for 7 wins. 

Let's not get carried away.........he "could" help by catching short passes to keep them "on schedule",  convert 3rd or 4th downs and maybe a quick TD pass or 2 at the goal line.    He can catch well thrown ones and he can catch less accurate ones.    It's not likely to be more than that.    But that one thing is something they really need.

This does seem like a desperate move. But, having said that: so is signing John Brown. Either of them is apparently past their prime. Hopefully this does help the offense by giving us more options. A receiver who can catch is something we need, apparently. Beasley also had good "toughness" and held onto the ball after being hit (many times by avoiding the hit by going down but the catch was made). Hopefully he has a little more in the tank than he had shown in the last season with the Bills (during which he was hampered by injury). 

And hopefully he just avoids social media, but I guess whatever. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's a concern with conditioning, but there's also a bonus of being not banged up.  Same with Brown.  Seems like we're going to go quality over quantity, which we probably had do anyways.  They're familiar, so low cost good chance for a return.  Think I'm gonna crack open an ice cold b-easley right now!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Isn't he injured?? 

Yes.  He has been on IR since 11/17, so 4 games counting the Jets.

But, he originally injured his ankle (high ankle) in the Miami game.  Missed 3 games, came back and played 2 games, then re-injured in the 3rd.

I think it's a good bet he's not going to come off IR and that's in large part what's behind the Brown and Beasley PS signings.

Josh's buddy Tanner Gentry got a look-see in the Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit games, after which the Bills, knowing they want 5 receivers active on game day but only had 4 on the roster, signed Brown.  They appear to find Gentry useful enough to keep him on the practice squad, but not enough to use a 53-man roster slot on him.

45 minutes ago, daz28 said:

There's a concern with conditioning, but there's also a bonus of being not banged up.  Same with Brown.  Seems like we're going to go quality over quantity, which we probably had do anyways.  They're familiar, so low cost good chance for a return.  Think I'm gonna crack open an ice cold b-easley right now!

Familiarity is the reason this is happening. Not sure how much quality either has at this point. They've bounced around the league and been let go from team's that needed WR help even more than we do and were sitting at home. Cole's "retirement" was more of a situation of his options drying up.

I don't think either are near the level they were 2-3 years ago. But even 2/3 of what they once were combined with their familiarity with Josh gives us a better option than bringing up Tanner Gentry on the regular. 

Here's hoping either or both can dust off a little bit of old magic with Josh.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

Upon reflection I think having Cole Beasley back and being the experienced slot WR may pay dividends in helping a guy like Shakir develop HIS game moving forward. The final test being who will stick after next years Training camp.

• Like (+1) 7

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Familiarity is the reason this is happening. Not sure how much quality either has at this point. They've bounced around the league and been let go from team's that needed WR help even more than we do and were sitting at home. Cole's "retirement" was more of a situation of his options drying up.

I don't think either are near the level they were 2-3 years ago. But even 2/3 of what they once were combined with their familiarity with Josh gives us a better option than bringing up Tanner Gentry on the regular. 

Here's hoping either or both can dust off a little bit of old magic with Josh.

I actually liked the Brown signing due to his speed. He can still run fast. I don’t think he’s a top 3 WR anymore but just putting him out there forces a team to pay attention. Teams aren’t paying attention yet. He ran the same route twice in 2 games and was open for a TD both times. 

Beasley can still probably run those short routes and get open. His problem is can he take those hits. His body seemed to be breaking down. We’ll see.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Good. I was worried news in eastern time didn't show up for you until the same time mountain time. 🤣 

I agree though. Wow!

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

This is all about the fact that they know Gentry is not NFL material, that Crowder appears not likely to play this year, and that Kumerow may not be back and isn’t much of a weapon even if he was. They want insurance for the playoffs so why not have Brown and Beasley here since Josh trusts them. They are cheap and have some chemistry. I have fairly limited expectations of both and think they will be limited snap situational guys at first.  It will also depend on their blocking. The key for why guys like Elam and Shakir aren’t getting snaps is likely missed assignments, blocks/tackles and they won’t tolerate that in the playoffs. 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Upon reflection I think having Cole Beasley back and being the experienced slot WR may pay dividends in helping a guy like Shakir develop HIS game moving forward. The final test being who will stick after next years Training camp.

I actually wondered the exact same thing - the Bills in the past have had gains by bringing in a veteran who can elevate the other players' games.  Think Diggs (elevated the entire WR room including Brown Beasley Davis and McKenzie); Von Miller (appears to have elevated Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham, and Lawson).

It's possible they're hoping Beasley can jump-start Shakir's slot game but also perhaps bridge a gap between how McKenzie is seeing the field/the defense and how Josh is seeing McKenzie's routes, in addition to being available as the #5 WR on gameday.

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

This is all about the fact that they know Gentry is not NFL material, that Crowder appears not likely to play this year, and that Kumerow may not be back and isn’t much of a weapon even if he was. They want insurance for the playoffs so why not have Brown and Beasley here since Josh trusts them. They are cheap and have some chemistry. I have fairly limited expectations of both and think they will be limited snap situational guys at first.  It will also depend on their blocking. The key for why guys like Elam and Shakir aren’t getting snaps is likely missed assignments, blocks/tackles and they won’t tolerate that in the playoffs.

By George I think he's got it.   Even if both Kumerow and Crowder do manage to return for the playoffs, the Bills have 4 tough games to play in order to GET to the playoffs.  They want to have 5 (reasonably) healthy wide receivers on the active roster for those games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:32 PM, Niagara Dude said:

Bills Mafia

Justin Romano  · Just now  · 

Cole Beasley is signing with the Bills. He flew into buffalo this morning. Not sure if he will play this week. Source: I know a family member of his. Id prefer not to say who.

He better play this week, if baker Mayfield can do it so can Beasley. McDermott needs not to be so conservative with new players like Hines.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Hopefully McBeane realize WR is priority this offseason and get or draft elite talent WRs and not hope late rounders can be great.

Ya know, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but we need to have a serious discussion about our ‘22 Draft class. Not a single starter 14 weeks in and some pics have been cut. Did Daboll & Shoen raid us dry? Until this year, we added viable starting talent from the Draft. This year, nothing to date. 😮

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ya know, I don’t want to hijack this thread, but we need to have a serious discussion about our ‘22 Draft class. Not a single starter 14 weeks in and some pics have been cut. Did Daboll & Shoen raid us dry? Until this year, we added viable starting talent from the Draft. This year, nothing to date. 😮

Its hard roster to crack but we have had some contributions, especially the corners who have started, but what we really needed was WRs and we only drafted Shakir.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say he looked finished—-  but I definitely thought his play dropped off dramatically.  Maybe all this time off allowed his body to heal up and he’s got some juice.  

i like the pickup.  It makes total sense.  We’ve missed him

Sorry I meant to quote the poster that you were quoting who said Cole was washed. 

4 hours ago, muppy said:

Who cares about Shakir right now? It’s about the SB!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think it’s a lot about trust here as well. You can almost see it that between Gabe/McKenzie and Knox, Josh almost looks hesitant. Like “is this guy going to catch the ball if I hit him in the hands with it?” Diggs obviously the trust is there but the other guys are rightfully questionable. Beasley was incredibly reliable and so was John Brown on a smaller scale. People were so fast to start criticizing Beasley last year. It was almost like the Vax thing created an environment where anything that was less then perfect was going to get put under a microscope. Thats a shame because he was a very productive player. I’m not sure what people wanted from the guy, I kept hearing Schopp complain about his yards per target and yards after catch going down….that had more to do with Josh then anything. The guy is a get to the sticks, safety blanket with sure hands. The Bills aren’t even calling drag routes or pick plays, what do people expect the slot WR to do? The guy is getting to the yard to gain and showing Josh is chest. When you are sitting in the zone like that and Defenses are closing in behind you where are you supposed to go? As long as he’s still able to catch the ball we are going to love having him back. He’s going to still know how to get open. In those tiny underneath routes he’s almost impossible to cover in that space. If people are expecting the guy to have 12-15 yards per catch then they just aren’t understanding the spacing of this offense. We have other guys to do that.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don't think this draft was meant to get starters. Bills were pretty much set at most positions, this draft was purely for backups that eventually become starters and role players. When a team is good it's hard to oust one of the top guys.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Irv said:

How did Buffalo get the rights to Beasley?  I don’t understand how Tampa couldn’t lay claim to him.  

Yeah, I'm sure it would have been a real dogfight to get his rights.

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

I don't think this draft was meant to get starters. Bills were pretty much set at most positions, this draft was purely for backups that eventually become starters and role players. When a team is good it's hard to oust one of the top guys.

I think Elam was supposed to be a starter. Didn't work out that way. And I don't think it's because Jackson has been playing lights out either. But of course, he's a rookie, so it's not the end of the world.

Edited by vincec
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.