Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

6 hours ago, Irv said:

How did Buffalo get the rights to Beasley?  I don’t understand how Tampa couldn’t lay claim to him.  

One more time: Beasley was on the practice squad for Tampa. 

Primer about Practice Squad.  As usual the best way to get correct info is to post wrong info, so if I'm wrong on any point I feel certain several will correct me.

-Practice squad players are free agents.  They can sign with any other team at (almost*) any time.  So even if Tampa had not terminated Beasley's practice squad contract (which they did, after he retired), he could have said "See Ya, I'm gonna go sign a practice squad contract with Buffalo instead of you, Bye!".  Exception* is 6 days prior to a scheduled game with that team.

-If another team signs a player off a different team's practice squad (which they can do at any time, EXCEPT within 6 days of playing that team), then the claiming team has to sign the player to their active roster, and pay the player as though he's on the active 53 man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks.  But the player does not actually have to go.  This happened to the Bills a couple times in the "Bad Old Days" - they tried to claim a player off another team's practice squad to their active roster and that player said "Nah, I'm Good".

-If the player has been signed to the 53 man roster, then if he's cut he must go through waivers before he can be re-signed to the practice squad of the team who cut him.  Waivers are the part of practice squad signings/elevations that are not optional: you're claimed on waivers, that's your new team.  After the trade deadline, all players (including vets) go through waivers.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

One more time: Beasley was on the practice squad for Tampa. 

Primer about Practice Squad.  As usual the best way to get correct info is to post wrong info, so if I'm wrong on any point I feel certain several will correct me.

-Practice squad players are free agents.  They can sign with any other team at (almost*) any time.  So even if Tampa had not terminated Beasley's practice squad contract (which they did, after he retired), he could have said "See Ya, I'm gonna go sign a practice squad contract with Buffalo instead of you, Bye!".  Exception* is 6 days prior to a scheduled game with that team.

-If another team signs a player off a different team's practice squad (which they can do at any time, EXCEPT within 6 days of playing that team), then the claiming team has to sign the player to their active roster, and pay the player as though he's on the active 53 man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks.  But the player does not actually have to go.  This happened to the Bills a couple times in the "Bad Old Days" - they tried to claim a player off another team's practice squad to their active roster and that player said "Nah, I'm Good".

-If the player has been signed to the 53 man roster, then if he's cut he must go through waivers before he can be re-signed to the practice squad of the team who cut him.  Waivers are the part of practice squad signings/elevations that are not optional: you're claimed on waivers, that's your new team.  After the trade deadline, all players (including vets) go through waivers.

You're right except a player can't go from one practice squad to another unless he was cut by his first team. Teams can only sign guys off other team's practice squads to their active rosters. The reason we got Beasley was after he retired the Bucs terminated his contract. 

• Agree 2

I don't know what it is but.....I think this signing is going to be waaaayyyy bigger than anyone thinks. I love me some Beez and I really hope they introduce the offense so I can give him a huge ovation out of that tunnel. I think the team is going to get a huge spark out of this and McKenzie can settle back in with some gadget plays. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, stevewin said:

Can we sign a player that retired is the new can someone own both an NFL and NHL team in the same city

The answer to both questions is "It depends"

Just now, HOUSE said:

Runs pretty good for a washed up over the hill WR that no team could possibly want. 

Giving a great interview.  Sounds super humble and excited to be back with the guys.  This could be a huge boost for the offense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

The answer to both questions is "It depends"

Giving a great interview.  Sounds super humble and excited to be back with the guys.  This could be a huge boost for the offense.

I agree.  Great interview.  Followed by Josh doing his best to contain himself.  The word "trust" came out of Josh's mouth early and often.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Sounds good to me. Giving great answers at his press conference. 

Thought it was really good - just direct honest answers.  Would think it would be hard for most people to hate the guy after seeing that

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well that's definitely something needed for this offense. Also what other guys on the roster have they not worked with? Fact is they have been working with guys on the roster and it hasn't been going very well and that's reason for Bease returning. 

This guy is not who he was two years ago.  Man to man coverage will end his effectiveness.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Info on unlimited callups was per Sal C on WGR yesterday. Haven’t seen a memo though 

Hopefully Crowder can come back this season. The Bills need all hands on deck. They don’t need miracles, however. Just WRs that don’t drop passes. Beasleys average was down but he was playing through injuries. 

With Tampa Bay in two games he caught 4 passes for 17 yards.  Not injured.  Age catches up to all athletes.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Thanks-  he doesn’t look bad

Sit him vs the bears or the pats-  

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal

Can he catch the ball on 3rd down?  That’s all that matters. 

He had to wait until September to sign with a team.  I like the guy and I wish him well but I am a realist.  Third down and he is on the field, he will draw attention.  

Just now, Nitro said:

He had to wait until September to sign with a team.  I like the guy and I wish him well but I am a realist.  Third down and he is on the field, he will draw attention.  

And, most importantly, he’ll be trusted by 17 to catch the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nitro said:

As a famous Bill recently said; ”OK”.

• Like (+1) 5

Admittedly, I was not happy with the way Beasley handled the vaccine issues. That said, I understand why Josh wants to have him back. I just worry that Beasley has aged out. That would mean another guy that is ineffective out running routes, a failed experiment that will take time and balls away from Knox and Davis during a playoff run.

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Nitro said:

This guy is not who he was two years ago.  Man to man coverage will end his effectiveness.

With Tampa Bay in two games he caught 4 passes for 17 yards.  Not injured.  Age catches up to all athletes.

Man to man coverage in a league playing 75% zone-  bring on the man to man, everyone else will eat. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Over/under 10 snaps before injuring his hamstring?

I got a $1000 on the over

32 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Maybe, but again this is pretty low risk. Age does catch up, but it may not have caught up to Beasley just yet. A two week stint in Tampa with a 45 year old QB that’s not exactly having a great year is a bit small of a sample size to draw many conclusions. We will see how it plays out. 

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Nitro said:

so should I assume you are not a fan of the multi-year contract the Bills gave to Von Miller. They ARE the same age after all.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

To my eye, this is one of those MUTUAL “ Don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone” scenarios.

I admittedly didn’t think Beasely leaving would be as big a loss as it seems to be.

He seems to have done some soul searching….. good for him. As someone else said, play well and he is right back to being a fan favorite. Not to all but to most. 
    Josh seems happy which Josh needs.

For those talking about him losing a step, maybe so but maybe teams got smarter playing him as well. Coming in at the end of the season give him the potential to stay fresh if he can get back in Football shape and take the hits .

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

You're right except a player can't go from one practice squad to another unless he was cut by his first team. Teams can only sign guys off other team's practice squads to their active rosters. The reason we got Beasley was after he retired the Bucs terminated his contract. 

Well, yeah, directly.  But if a player says "I want off your practice squad", a team will typically release them.   Just as the team is not required to keep them on the PS all 17 games, they aren't required to stay there.  They can take their ball and go home, so to speak.  Then the team releases them, because they need the PS guys to run their scout team and there's always another guy in their Rolodex (dating myself), Then the player signs with a different team's PS.

You're correct that team B is not supposed to be recruiting players from team A's practice squad, but players and coaches will talk and whaddarya gonna do.   I can't remember what team it was, but I remember something like that happening a few years back and there was a mild grumble session about it but both teams moved on. 

Doesn't apply to Beasley of course since Tampa released him after he retired on October 5th.  I do kind of wonder, if Beasley reached out around Thanksgiving, if the Bills waited a bit to bring him in to be sure enough time had elapsed that it didn't look like some kind of tampering with Tampa

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

It doesn't matter if he averages 5 yards per catch. The key is him catching the ball instead of the drops we've been seeing each week

Just now, Dr.Sack said:

I’m fine with 6 yards per catch. That at least moves the chains. 

Exactly. That's what they've been missing

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Can he catch the ball on 3rd down?  That’s all that matters. 

I wonder if some the stat heads here can get a split of Beasley receptions by down. My gut, and its only a gut, is he catches a lot more balls on 1st and 2nd more so than 3rd. As Orlovsky said earlier this week, that's really where the Bills are struggling..1st down efficiency. And that turns into a "3rd and Hope" situation...just hoping Josh can make a play. 

I really think we will see his impact there more than 3rd downs, but hopefully we see an impact somewhere, anywhere LOL!!!!

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Sayin all the right things at least. He should stick to pressers and avoid twitter. LETS GO!

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

I wonder if some the stat heads here can get a split of Beasley receptions by down. My gut, and its only a gut, is he catches a lot more balls on 1st and 2nd more so than 3rd. As Orlovsky said earlier this week, that's really where the Bills are struggling..1st down efficiency. And that turns into a "3rd and Hope" situation...just hoping Josh can make a play. 

I really think we will see his impact there more than 3rd downs, but hopefully we see an impact somewhere, anywhere LOL!!!!

I dont care if its 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, as long as he actually catches the ball. Which is a nice change.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Career Receptions:

1st down - 184

2nd down - 196

3rd down - 174

Majority of 1st down catches were on 1st and 10.

Majority of 2nd down catches were on 2nd at 10+.

Majority of 3rd down catches were on 3rd and 4-6.

Source:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeasCo00/splits/

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Good post. Makes sense.  It always seemed a lot easier for us to get 5 yards on 1st down throwing a quick pass to Cole than running the ball. And for w/e reason, we can’t seem to have any success on Passes to the rb unless it’s a wide open hot read 

I bring up 3rd down catches for 2 reasons:  -It seems as if our pass catchers, in general, drop a lot of balls on 3rd down and end drives, although that could just be me remembering what hurts the most- 

- along the same lines- selective memory, remembering what I enjoyed most and that’s Cole catching drive extending 1st downs-

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.