Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

Interesting that many of you believe Beasley is ‘washed’, but Josh Allen who purportedly requested his return doesn’t think so, or is at least willing to find out. 

Beasley was signed to the practice squad for cheap (presumably). What do they have to lose? 
If he looks slow and not useful to the active roster, they can cut him loose. 
Frankly, I don’t care about his vaccine position. It doesn’t affect my enjoyment of watching the Bills. If he contributes to wins, that’s the extent of my concern with his personal life. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, SoMAn said:

Interesting that many of you believe Beasley is ‘washed’, but Josh Allen who purportedly requested his return doesn’t think so, or is at least willing to find out. 

Beasley was signed to the practice squad for cheap (presumably). What do they have to lose? 
If he looks slow and not useful to the active roster, they can cut him loose. 
Frankly, I don’t care about his vaccine position. It doesn’t affect my enjoyment of watching the Bills. If he contributes to wins, that’s the extent of my concern with his personal life. 

I agree So. I’m pulling for Beasley to help this team and Josh. The passing game has had a void in the middle of the field for awhile now. They’ve got 4 games to get this thing clicking again for possibly the biggest post season run in team history. Every season has bumps in the road, but this is a great time for Bills fans. 

I am 100% done cleaning up politics and Covid bullshlt.

The ban hammer is out of the holster.

If you can't stick to Buffalo Bills football in a Buffalo Bills football forum, go out to lunch until you can control yourself.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Simon said:

If you can't stick to Buffalo Bills football in a Buffalo Bills football forum, go out to lunch until you can control yourself.

Apologies…got caught up. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm picturing something like this ...

image.png.d134ff1f0e9f45f6c742c4c06d8fb25d.png

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Awesome... thank you. 😌

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I've been having trouble with my internet going out and waiting on technician for repair, so sorry if it's been mentioned already.... but any word on the possibility of him playing Saturday? 

According to local reports Beasley is expected to be called up for Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting that they're signing him to the PS and then using call-ups.  

I'm assuming he'll eventually be signed to the 53, provided it's working out.  

Unlimited call-ups in the post-season, I think Sal reported, but we have 4 games left in the regular season.  Three call-ups doesn't get us to the playoffs. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

According to local reports Beasley is expected to be called up for Saturday. 

Thanks....I kinda had a feeling it would be a good chance of it. When you see some other players signing with different teams and playing 48-72hrs after it kinda seems it's be much easier in this case since Beasley is no stranger to this offense and QB

Feelings aside for me it is simple these are no risk moves. If either Brown or Beasley can contribute put them on the field. Both have familiarity with the QB and if it doesn't work out can move on easily. Come playoffs it is going to be all hands on deck. I like Brown's ability to stretch the field and Beasley in the slot over Mckenzie in critical situations. Brown almost had that bomb last week against the Jets where ball was slightly underthrown. Sauce made a great play to break it up last minute.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His cost is $19K a week.  Can you at least wait 1 week before you send him to a farm upstate?

Beasley is not a speed guy either, and his type of player can last a long while in the NFL. I’m not usually one to quote Bulldog from WGR, but he may have put it best ( paraphrasing) I’m not asking him to run away from people-I’m asking him to run to where people aren’t. He’s had some injuries the past couple years and toughed it out. Maybe he feels better physically than he has in some time- could be if he reached out to Beane. 

1 minute ago, billieve420 said:

Feelings aside for me it is simple these are no risk moves. If either Brown or Beasley can contribute put them on the field. Both have familiarity with the QB and if it doesn't work out can move on easily. Come playoffs it is going to be all hands on deck. I like Brown's ability to stretch the field and Beasley in the slot over Mckenzie in critical situations. Brown almost had that bomb last week against the Jets where ball was slightly underthrown. Sauce made a great play to break it up last minute.

Was a very good play by Gardner to jar that ball loose. The weather conditions affected the throw a bit for sure, but Brown still showed his speed there. That was a TD vs a lot of NFL corners. 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Thanks....I kinda had a feeling it would be a good chance of it. When you see some other players signing with different teams and playing 48-72hrs after it kinda seems it's be much easier in this case since Beasley is no stranger to this offense and QB

Yep. Guessing he’s probably been working out pretty hard the last couple weeks if he knew this was a possibility. Hope he’s ready to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Unlimited call-ups in the post-season, I think Sal reported, but we have 4 games left in the regular season.  Three call-ups doesn't get us to the playoffs. 

Yes, probably due to injury situation at other positions. Will be interesting which games they use the free callups. I’m guessing vs Bengals will be one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Tampa terminated his contract when he “retired.”

So that was a voluntary action by Tampa?  Not required in the CBA?   I am just wondering what is keeping Josh Allen from announcing his retirement and then signing with the Giants.   

Edited by Irv

14 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Sauce looked to make contact early to me - but replay 

• Agree 1

Pump the brakes on the Beasley signing.  Amnesia Abounds!  Last season his catches were the same as the year prior but his yardage was a third less.  He lost a step.  Do not expect miracles from him. If he does get on the field it will be sit in a soft spot if a zone and catch and sit.  I would rather work with the guys on the roster and see Crowder’s recovery is going to get him on the field soon.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Pump the brakes on the Beasley signing.  Amnesia Abounds!  Last season his catches were the same as the year prior but his yardage was a third less.  He lost a step.  Do not expect miracles from him. If he does get on the field it will be sit in a soft spot if a zone and catch and sit.  I would rather work with the guys on the roster and see Crowder’s recovery is going to get him on the field soon.

He's going to get open against zone for 6-8 yards.   I would honestly keep him on the field as much as possible

• Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

This does seem like a desperate move. But, having said that: so is signing John Brown. Either of them is apparently past their prime. Hopefully this does help the offense by giving us more options. A receiver who can catch is something we need, apparently. Beasley also had good "toughness" and held onto the ball after being hit (many times by avoiding the hit by going down but the catch was made). Hopefully he has a little more in the tank than he had shown in the last season with the Bills (during which he was hampered by injury). 

And hopefully he just avoids social media, but I guess whatever. 

Maybe Beasley and Brown saw what Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson did coming back to Bills.

Both had to give up something they were hoping for to come back.

Neither Brown nor Beasley were getting much interest on market and practice squad with up to 3 elevations is a way to get some interest.

John Brown has already had 2 elevations (week 13 with 12 snaps and week 14 with 3 snaps).

I am hoping that the NFL renews agreement allowing players to be elevated regardless of prior elevation as they did last year.  I wonder if there has been talk from NFL about 2022 playoff rules yet.

2021-Playoff-Elevations.png

28 minutes ago, Irv said:

So that was a voluntary action by Tampa?  Not required in the CBA?   I am just wondering what is keeping Josh Allen from announcing his retirement and then signing with the Giants.   

Cole Beasley was never on Tampa's 53.  He was a PS player.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/06/bucs-terminate-the-practice-squad-contract-of-cole-beasley/

Beasley, 33, is a free agent if he decides to unretire.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I have not seen the letter posted about unlimited call-ups in the post-season as we saw last year.

One year anniversary of that letter.

19 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Well that's definitely something needed for this offense. Also what other guys on the roster have they not worked with? Fact is they have been working with guys on the roster and it hasn't been going very well and that's reason for Bease returning. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have not seen the letter posted about unlimited call-ups in the post-season as we saw last year.

One year anniversary of that letter.

Info on unlimited callups was per Sal C on WGR yesterday. Haven’t seen a memo though 

35 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Hopefully Crowder can come back this season. The Bills need all hands on deck. They don’t need miracles, however. Just WRs that don’t drop passes. Beasleys average was down but he was playing through injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has one week or else we spending the 19K on a new pool table and chairs. 

Glad I talked you into giving the "old man" a chance.

OT:  I'm going to bet that Cole Beasley's first catch will net more yards than OBJ gets this season.

If that holds up, it was a good move.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, General Soreness said:

Thanks-  he doesn’t look bad

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Sit him vs the bears or the pats-  

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal

50 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Can he catch the ball on 3rd down?  That’s all that matters. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.