If you could only have 1 (Beckham or McCaffrey)

buffaloboyinATL

If you could only have one, assuming Beane could find a way to make it work, without giving up "too much" which one?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. which do you choose:

• Odell Beckham Jr.
    • Christian McCaffrey
    • Neither (is it because we don't need them, don't want to hurt chemistry or something else?)

I agree that both players can be dynamic additions in their own ways. But if OBJ comes in, which WR leaves the field? I don't thing we'd want Diggs on the bench. Would we really want Davis sitting? Plus, if we get Singletary playing like he did at the end of last season, would we want McCaffery in there instead? So much of this team's success is based on their chemistry/trust in each other. Is that worth possibly disrupting to make a Super Bowl run, that many already think we are on? A fun topic to kick around!

I've wondered for a bit if CMC transitions from a RB, which is no longer a valued position, to receiver. 

Deebo has done well in this regard, receivers are getting paid, very few RB's are.

Franchise tag is 18MM+ for WR, 9MM+ for RB's.

He does have to show that he's not made of glass tho.

I'm old enough to remember Bobby Mitchell doing just that when he was traded from the Cleveland to Washington. 

If the Bills really wanted them, they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. OBJ as a FA at near vet minimum, only downside is who gets bumped off the roster. If Crowder out for season then it would just bump Hodgins; okay. If they could package Moss and a reasonable draft pick for CMC that would be a risk worth taking. Biggest hurdle would be restructures to manage the cap and be okay with somebody they probably won’t be able to resign.

Could you imagine a starting line up in the playoffs with Davis and OBJ out wide, Diggs in the slot, CMC out of the backfield, rounded off by Knox. How do you game plan for that. Especially with Allen’s ability to run while trying to pass protect against all those weapons.

19 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

We don't need either right now.  We need either or for Jan/Feb.  So I'm ok with OBJ not being ready right now, as long as he's ready for the playoffs.

You want a WRs who’s never played with us to be ready for playoffs and then throw him on the field. Makes sense to me.

One miscommunication can really put our season in jeopardy, might as well be at the most crucial time. 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

This was a great question and a tough one.  I would go with Mccaffrey.  I would worry that bringing in OBJ would throw off passing chemistry because of force feeding...I don't think we have anyone in the backfield who is trustworthy outside of singletary.  I think Mccafrey boosts our run game and making our passing game that much more dangerous.

34 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I've wondered for a bit if CMC transitions from a RB, which is no longer a valued position, to receiver. 

Deebo has done well in this regard, receivers are getting paid, very few RB's are.

Franchise tag is 18MM+ for WR, 9MM+ for RB's.

He does have to show that he's not made of glass tho.

I'm old enough to remember Bobby Mitchell doing just that when he was traded from the Cleveland to Washington. 

Deebo was never a RB… he was a WR who they would hand the ball off too

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't really like rentals.  I would prefer CMC but for longer than just the remainder of the year- for this year and at least next year.  It would cover the gap we have now for next years RB.

If a WR got hurt, then I could see a need for a move.  Otherwise I would rather see G Davis as our #2 and Shakir in the slot as our Superbowl winners.  And that squad would have a lot of components coming back the next year.

56 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

You should NEVER say no to make your team plush with elite talent.  The more elite talent you have, the better chance you have at being a super bowl champion.

One guy that is still injured + another guy that is almost always injured?

Elite on paper is worse than worthless.

I am going to say y’all really read the question differently than I did. I took it as which would make the team better assuming the cost is low. 

In this I would be team CMC. In a what it will likely really cost to get him there is no chance I want the Bills to pay that and would become a neither vote.

Without knowing what OBJ is truly going to be OK with as far as his role with a team, it is a fair concern that he could be a negative influence without throwing any kind of attitude on the sideline. Just trying to force passes to him would change the makeup. He could of course be willing and ok with a 3/4 role and a low cost contract in which case it would be a stupid easy call to sign him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

OBJ all day long; we don't need him, we want him.

He's the knockout blow that puts us over the top for the playoff run.

Let defenses try to shut down Diggs; we have OBJ.

Let them try to shut down OBJ, we have Diggs.

I can't imagine how productive we would be with 2 superstar No. 1 receivers and Josh.

McCaffery?  It's not the 1980s anymore.  No thanks!

OBJ for me. We are a pass oriented offense. If Gabe’s ankles give out again, our offense becomes much more limited. I don’t want to trust our post season run to his ankles. I want WR insurance to keep our offense moving. We will always need two good receivers to keep this offense humming. If Singletary goes down, finding RB help is much easier since we are not as dependent on them within our offense. 

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

You want a WRs who’s never played with us to be ready for playoffs and then throw him on the field. Makes sense to me.

One miscommunication can really put our season in jeopardy, might as well be at the most crucial time. 🙄

Very good point. Our offense has alot of option routes for the receivers. It is quite complex and may be difficult to learn for a mid-season acquisition. In addition to Josh learning timing with a new receiver.

1 hour ago, BillyBilliams said:

You should NEVER say no to make your team plush with elite talent.  The more elite talent you have, the better chance you have at being a super bowl champion.

We have elite talent and if it means giving up high draft picks to get more, we don't want it.

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

All things being equal, CMC. Yes this is a pass-happy offense. He's a pass-catching RB. Up until this week, Singletary had the 2nd most catches on the team. He might still; I haven't checked the numbers. CMC is perfect for this offense. 

I can get both sides of those wanting him and those who prefer passing. Just curious, seems like you would prefer getting him...so my question is how high of a pick would you be comfortable giving up for him? Are you confident enough in his availability that he will stay healthy enough to get to and through playoffs?

What would be your best offer you would give for him with that in mind?

my first thought is,  neither.    if we have to sign OBJ to keep him away from the Chefs then i guess make a run at him.   personally i think the Chefs cleared room to sign a pass rusher. 

when it comes to CMC,  hes expensive,  and injured,  alot.   Devin is doing just fine.   this offense runs through Josh,  not the RB position.   i dont think our run blocking gets better if we grab CMC.   

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, InTheBuffAllTheTime said:

I took this question as truly hypothetical - which player would I rather have without regard to cap/picks/salary/etc.....

I'd take CMC. We have great receivers and great depth. No guarantees with OBJ health, no time to learn nuances of offense, and possibly he can't even catch Allen's fastballs.

CMC offers something Bills don't have - more offensive creativity

A "true hypothetical" would presume both OBJ AND CMC's  health(they are both coming off 2 straight seasons ended by injury), learning the "nuances of offense" and........whether either could catch Allen's fastballs.  (LOL)

CMC and it's not even close for me.  Adding another WR doesn't do anything but continue to make us 1 dimensional. 

CMC is a serious threat as a runner or receiver who would consistently create mismatches all over the field. 

We need a real threat in the RB spot, one teams have to respect and account for. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Not giving up 1st round picks for McCaffrey who's never healthy. & Carolina wants a 1st.

OBJ, don't have to give up any draft picks & I really really really don't want KC to get him. Win, win.

What a strange thought process. OBJ tore his ACL in October 2020. 16 months later tore his ACL again. But the never healthy guy is CMC?

CMC has had some recent injuries but they’re all easy to come back from. OBJ will have to impact right away after ACL. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

I can get both sides of those wanting him and those who prefer passing. Just curious, seems like you would prefer getting him...so my question is how high of a pick would you be comfortable giving up for him? Are you confident enough in his availability that he will stay healthy enough to get to and through playoffs?

What would be your best offer you would give for him with that in mind?

I don't want the Bills to trade any early picks for him or pay a big contract. Just player-to-player, I'd rather have him.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.