If you could only have 1 (Beckham or McCaffrey)

buffaloboyinATL

If you could only have one, assuming Beane could find a way to make it work, without giving up "too much" which one?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. which do you choose:

• Odell Beckham Jr.
    • Christian McCaffrey
    • Neither (is it because we don't need them, don't want to hurt chemistry or something else?)

I would love to have either one of them, as long as they don't affect the team chemistry, but if I had to choose one, I'd say OBJ.  I say this primarily because he would not cost us any draft picks, and although he would be a luxury item, there is less risk for the potential reward.  That being said, if Beane can use his wizard powers, and get CMC for a 4th round pick or something, that lowers the risk dramatically.  

• Agree 4

At the end of the day I don’t think Buffalo will pay the price for either. 
I think CMC stays put or goes to some team barely clinging to life who is willing to pay a silly price. 
And in the end I think Beckham gets a multi year deal because the bidding is increasing daily as teams jockey for cap space to make him an offer. 
I think Buffalo rolls with what they have, cause 99% of the trade deadline smoke never turns into fire. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I would love to have either one of them, as long as they don't affect the team chemistry, but if I had to choose one, I'd say OBJ.  I say this primarily because he would not cost us any draft picks, and although he would be a luxury item, there is less risk for the potential reward.  That being said, if Beane can use his wizard powers, and get CMC for a 4th round pick or something, that lowers the risk dramatically.  

Totally agree. In addition to signing OBJ, we also prevent KC from getting a dynamic player

• Thank you (+1) 2

It's not exactly a great one or the other type of choices. OBJ is a free agent and we would give up nothing except whatever salary he is willing to take for a few weeks of service towards a SB push. CMC would need us to give up draft capital and/or players and cost a lot of money over several years. Either one could be a worthwhile additional but the situations are very different.

Edited by rusty shackleford
Wordsmith
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Between the two with not taking into salary cap ramifications, I’d go with CMC. Does anyone truly know what OBJ will be like after his injury and how rehab is going? When healthy he’s a playmaker but right now he’s still a major question mark on what his potential impact will be. So for me I’m going with a player that is playing now and not recovering from a significant knee injury. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Backham and it isnt even close.  As long as his knee is good to go he would make a way bigger difference than CMC and cost far less assets.

I agree with you bro... but if OBJ is still a question mark come mid December I may stick with what we have at that point. I don't know if I'm in the minority or majority here but I just don't think it's a smart move to give away any high type draft picks for CMC. 

I mean I'd address other more important areas.

• Agree 1

I just want to win it all, for 40 plus years I been just 1 play, or 1 catch or kick from winning it all.  I want them to acquire more than they need to ensure this is our year.  I really don't care what they give up.  With 1 Lombardi trophy I could die a happy man.

Edited by clearwater cadet
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Bills aren't in a position to throw draft picks at a few week rental.   They have a lot of expensive talent on this roster already and a few more marquee guys we're probably not going to be able to re-sign.  We're going to need lots of rookie contracts overperforming for the next few years and it would be foolish to throw them away for one of the highest paid RBs in the league who's already been quite injury prone.  

On the flip side as @Scott7975 pointed out there's little to no risk for bringing in OBJ for a quick SB ring off his injury if he's willing.  I still don't think he's a guy the Bills would resign next season though.

9 minutes ago, clearwater cadet said:

I just want to win int all, for 40 plus years I been just 1 play, or 1 catch or kick from winning it all.  I want them to aquire more than they need.  I really don't what they give up.  With 1 Lombardi trophy I could die a happy man.

I just can't get behind this mindset.   Going all in is a flashy term these days since it worked out for the Rams last year.  Look at them now though.   Imagine we cripple our salary cap only to fall short somehow.  Now we just screwed another 2 years of Josh Allen's prime window.   If going all in could guarantee success, sure. but that's not reality.   

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

At the end of the day I don’t think Buffalo will pay the price for either. 
I think CMC stays put or goes to some team barely clinging to life who is willing to pay a silly price. 
And in the end I think Beckham gets a multi year deal because the bidding is increasing daily as teams jockey for cap space to make him an offer. 
I think Buffalo rolls with what they have, cause 99% of the trade deadline smoke never turns into fire. 

I think just the opposite. I think OBJ could use this as a springboard to a multi year deal if he comes out with a strong showing in the playoffs. People want to see him produce at the level he was in the SB prior to the injury before signing him to a longer deal. He might have been the SB MVP if he stayed healthy. It’s a great showcase for him if he picks the right horse and plays well in the last game of the year. 

I don’t know how he feels about this (obviously), but I think we are that horse! GO BILLS! 

EDIT: Poll is currently a dead heat. If we were to choose one, I’d take the WR in today’s game IF he is healthy. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think just the opposite. I think OBJ could use this as a springboard to a multi year deal if he comes out with a strong showing in the playoffs. People want to see him produce at the level he was in the SB prior to the injury before signing him to a longer deal. He might have been the SB MVP if he stayed healthy. It’s a great showcase for him if he picks the right horse and plays well in the last game of the year. 

I don’t know how he feels about this (obviously), but I think we are that horse! GO BILLS! 

EDIT: Poll is currently a dead heat. If we were to choose one, I’d take the WR in today’s game IF he is healthy. 

I don’t disagree with your thoughts. I just think someone will outbid Buffalo and at the end of the day he’s gonna pick whatever contender offers the most. But I do agree Buffalo is the best spot to showcase for a longer deal. 

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t disagree with your thoughts. I just think someone will outbid Buffalo and at the end of the day he’s gonna pick whatever contender offers the most. But I do agree Buffalo is the best spot to showcase for a longer deal. 

Most of the deals will be incentive based. His pay day comes from whatever team gets him the most production in a short period of time.

He won’t cash in until the offseason.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

Could very well be. In the big picture, the money he makes this partial mini-season is peanuts compared to a longer deal after this year. If it’s me I play for the minimum to get into the best situation for the best long term deal. Hell, I’d play for free for the Bills before going to some lesser options. 

• Like (+1) 1

I took this question as truly hypothetical - which player would I rather have without regard to cap/picks/salary/etc.....

I'd take CMC. We have great receivers and great depth. No guarantees with OBJ health, no time to learn nuances of offense, and possibly he can't even catch Allen's fastballs.

CMC offers something Bills don't have - more offensive creativity

Edited by InTheBuffAllTheTime
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I’d take McCaffery. OBJ is coming off an ACL. 

10 ... that's the total number of games McCaffrey played in 2020 and 2021 combined.  He's an injury waiting to happen.

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

EDIT: Poll is currently a dead heat. If we were to choose one, I’d take the WR in today’s game. 

So, here's a question.  Say we bring onj in. He has a great run. Would you sign him and let Davis walk? What kind of contract would we be looking at?

Odell. 

CMC is the better player, but it's not like he's going to pound the rock in those short yardage situations where the Bills struggle most.

He doesn't help our run blocking either, so he's primarily a receiving threat. We just invested a 2nd round pick in another one of those, and it's only week 6. To go after CMC, you'd basically be saying you wasted that pick & don't have confidence Cook will turn into that dual threat guy.

At least Odell can be a more reliable #3 than McKenzie, and if someone gets hurt, a more reliable #2 if pushed into the spot. We've also been struggling in the redzone, so another 1v1 guy that can create his own looks would be great.

I'm going with OBJ.  With the "Who you'd rather have" you also have to look at implications.  Right now, they can pay CMC because it's like $1M pro rated on the cap this year, but it then balloons to $19.550M and carries a dead cap of $18.352M.  So you're going to have to cut/trade him, and it's going to press us even more on the cap.  This means no Tremaine Edmunds and no Jordan Poyer (maybe we'll squeeze one by kicking the can down the road, but someone's going).  This also doesn't include the capital we have to give up.  When a team is this good and has this many players that cost a ton, you have to have draft picks and cost controlled rosters to keep the shelves stocked.  

By signing OBJ, you don't give up any capital, and you're only relying on cap purposes.  If he wants to play here, sign him to a deal that doesn't include us having to cut/restructure.  Then, after the year, you can choose to let him go.  Production wise, I'm going with OBJ.  I can live with Singletary/Cook in the backfield.  We seen with Davis hurt, it affects the passing game a lot.  Add another explosive weapon and teams won't know how to handle the Bills passing game even more than it already is.  Who are you going to double team?  It would be a choose your poison.  

15 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

So, here's a question.  Say we bring onj in. He has a great run. Would you sign him and let Davis walk? What kind of contract would we be looking at?

I’m taking Davis over OBJ all day, every day. Zero question there. Davis is young and rising.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Yes. Agree. Tre tore ACL in November and is not back yet…OBJ did it 2 and half months later.

Godwin tore his ACL late December and has played all year so far (despite the few games he was out with a hamstring).  All injuries and recoveries are not mutually exclusive.  Tre is taking his time because he knows he has the luxury to.  I firmly believe if we were hurting at CB, he would be here by now.

Just now, hemma said:

Don’t want either one of them, even if free.

the Bills aren’t ‘broke’.  Stop trying to ‘fix’ them.

You should NEVER say no to make your team plush with elite talent.  The more elite talent you have, the better chance you have at being a super bowl champion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Voted neither because I don't want either.

But if we had to

OBJ is signing aj incentive laden contract. Available all season + post and catches etc. 

If McCafferty is say a 2023 3rd and 2024 3rd that's conditional up to a 2nd.

Either way, I don't know we are super bowl winners with them. So is don't know we are without them. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.