Tre White expected back to full practice after the Bye (update - won’t play vs GB)

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Assuming he starts vs GB.. who is CB2? Elam or Dane?

I bet we see a rotation at corner. 

Not only at CB2, buy maybe at CB1 for the first few games that Tre is back, in order to ease him back into game shape.

Once Tre is back to full time CB1 duties, I bet Jackson, Elam, an Benford continue to platoon at CB2 unless and until one of them separates himself from the pack.

• Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Gonna say Dane because of McD's fondness for vets over rookies. I'd guess they rotate plenty, though. 

Is this really the case? There’s been plenty of rooks thrown right in there if they have earned it. In this case I think Dane has earned it. 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I bet we see a rotation at corner. 

Not only at CB2, buy maybe at CB1 for the first few games that Tre is back, in order to ease him back into game shape.

Once Tre is back to full time CB1 duties, I bet Jackson, Elam, an Benford continue to platoon at CB2 unless and until one of them separates himself from the pack.

I havent' watched clsoely enough to verify this but it looks like the Bills use them to strengths.

When it was Benford and Elam we used Benford on zone coverage with his ability to read and cover a zone. Elam was used to cover man and deep schemes. Jackson can do both of those equally well to both Elam and Benford. The difference between the former two is that they have higher ceilings and are better at those specific talents than Jackson whom is more well rounded.

The rotation you mentioned could be the plan.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s DJ to start. I think Elam and Tre give us the ability to play a lot more man and I expect a healthy increase in snap count as we moved forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Dane, I imagine, but rotational based on matchup. When they're playing split coverage, I think Dane is still the best for that quarters coverage side.

30 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Why do you assume it's not between Dane and Benford?

I think Elam has since surpassed Benford based on the plays he's made and his availability, but still pretty even. If we want to look at it like a typical depth chart, I think Benford is back-up to Dane and Elam is back-up to White.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I assume all of them including Tre will be rotated in and out.  Tre likely to be on a pitch count.

To answer your question, Benford if fully healthy comes in as the #2 - I just think the coaching staff is higher on him. Tough to say as now, Elam has more games under his belt.

It’s a good problem to have.

• Like (+1) 1

this is like signing an All-Pro/ Pro Bowl level CB at the bye week.

So happy to have Tre Day coming back. The bye week in general was perfectly timed this year.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I assume all of them including Tre will be rotated in and out.  Tre likely to be on a pitch count.

To answer your question, Benford if fully healthy comes in as the #2 - I just think the coaching staff is higher on him. Tough to say as now, Elam has more games under his belt.

It’s a good problem to have.

You think Elam and Benford have relegated Dane Jackson to the bench?

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

An interesting fallout from yesterday's game.  I've read quite a few comments around the web that noted the Chiefs were down their starting CBs for the game.  They forgot to mention Tre White being out.  

At one point last night we were down to cam Lewis and siran Neal, they can suck it. Also there was no defense for some of those Allen throws. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

More dime packages coming for sure. Took the Bills forever to get out of nickel, but they have lots of quality DBs.

Nickel is their base defense. The Bills didn't play dime until the Chiefs. Seems clear to me that they were keeping in the cupboard for this game along with a few other exotic schemes they played this game. I assume we'll see more of those things throughout the year now. 

As for White.. I'm in no rush to put him back in. Give him some backup duties and then the last 4-5 games to warmup for the playoffs. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At one point last night we were down to cam Lewis and siran Neal, they can suck it. Also there was no defense for some of those Allen throws. 

Now they are mentioning Fenton as someone they were missing, leading up to the game every Chief reporter I heard said he was the worst DB they have. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think he’ll be on a limited snap count for a”his first few games while they slowly get him back to his all pro form.

Outside of having official ordering on the depth charts, I think they’ll go with a heavy rotation between white, Benford, Elam, Jackson so it will be hard to tell true CB 1-4, at least for a few more games.

Also seems like it would depended on the game plan for specific opponents and if they plan on playing a lot of man vs. zone. Definitely a good problem to have.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s going to be so good. Silver lining of Tre injury is how many 1st team reps he got from the jump.

With Elam and Benford both getting reps and Tre moving to safety we will be stacked.

In all seriousness, it's a Jabari Greer situation all over again. We have White until 2026, Elam until 2026, Benford until 2025, Neal until 2024.

Lost in all the hype about White returning and the perceived depth of the secondary, is the Bills giving up back to back 300 yard passer games which has been a rarity by this regime.

Granted last week against the Steelers it was truly hollow and mostly came in garbage time, but Mahomes still had a lot of success against this team other than the 2 turnovers which were the difference.

As others have mentioned I still don't see White starting full time and being on more a snap count this season until they are 100% confident in him being back to form, if that even happens this year. Still won't be surprised if we see Xavier Rhodes at some point as well.

55 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Lost in all the hype about White returning and the perceived depth of the secondary, is the Bills giving up back to back 300 yard passer games which has been a rarity by this regime.

Granted last week against the Steelers it was truly hollow and mostly came in garbage time, but Mahomes still had a lot of success against this team other than the 2 turnovers which were the difference.

As others have mentioned I still don't see White starting full time and being on more a snap count this season until they are 100% confident in him being back to form, if that even happens this year. Still won't be surprised if we see Xavier Rhodes at some point as well.

I can’t imagine anyone being concerned about the Steelers throwing for over 300 yards in a game the Bills won by 5 touchdowns.

I also can’t imagine anyone being truly concerned about our defense allowing over 300 yards to a QB who averages 300 yards per game for his career. Mahomes will get his; the real question is, how many points will you keep him to? 20 is pretty impressive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.