Bills release LB Andre Smith

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

His ban was for six games, wasn't it? We basically kept him on board until he could play again and have now allowed him to find another team.

Probably wanted to see how things looked injury wise after 6 weeks...didn't need to make any sort of roster move at the time, so why wouldn't you let things play out and see how the season started?

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

His ban was for six games, wasn't it? We basically kept him on board until he could play again and have now allowed him to find another team.

40 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I believe this frees up some cap space...not a great deal but a bit over 700K.

40 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't think Smith was counted against the roster. So not sure if would free up a space. 

39 minutes ago, WMDman said:

I bet he ends up on the PS at some point

His ban was for 6 games and after playing the 6th game we had to decide what to do with him before activating him.

His release does not free up a roster spot as suspended players do not count on the roster.  It does prevent us from having to make a move to activate him though.

I do not believe it saves us any money as a suspended player collects no salary and therefore has no cost against the cap.  His release at this point does allow us to keep the 2 cheaper rookies than having to activate him and then include his salary over whomever you cut.

I agree - I think they let him go looking and if he wants to come back - there may be a spot on the PS, but they do have the LB position fairly covered.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel bad for her

Smith failed a test last November. He said he has no idea why or what caused his estrogen level to rise beyond the allowed limits.

Can you imagine the fun this board would have with this news if it were Brady!  Thread would go beyond 100 pages.

Have to say, not sure I see where the competitive advantage is to the player on this one.

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I believe this frees up some cap space...not a great deal but a bit over 700K.

It's funny how we rationalize on this board.Ehh, bit of $ on cap space only $700K. 

Dang would I like to call $700K a bit of money 🤑

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I feel bad for her

Smith failed a test last November. He said he has no idea why or what caused his estrogen level to rise beyond the allowed limits.

Can you imagine the fun this board would have with this news if it were Brady!  Thread would go beyond 100 pages.

Have to say, not sure I see where the competitive advantage is to the player on this one.

Totally guessing here but the higher estrogen levels may indicate the use of some other substance that doesn’t necessarily show up on tests. 

Like an indicator or precursor? 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I think his salary for the entire season is 690,000. Pro-rated for the remaining 11 games saves  about 450,000. Maybe they sign him to the practice squad.

Spotrac prorated his salary for missing 6 games down to the $690k number.  He will have some signing bonus dead cap.

The savings should be just above $700k.

Big mistake cutting Smith. The guy payed the price for his unfortunate mistake. The Bills kept him on ice for 6 weeks then abruptly  decided to offload him. He’s a valuable contributor to our ST unit and doesn’t make much. This is a bad message to the other players, showing zero loyalty to a hard worker and a special teams ace with experience at LB. What’s the reason for doing this to Andre?  Can’t we create a roster spot with someone who isn’t a leader on one of our units.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.