Which player on the roster baffles you that they are on this team?

Wizard

4 minutes ago, Wizard said:

There is always a player or two that we wonder, "why is that guy on the roster?"

Who is that guy for you?

There are several for me, but that one guy is Tommy Sweeney.

Morris is new.  Josh knows Sweeney and he sticks until something else happens.  Beane will get the best TE for the PS that he can.

Sweeney if under the gun and he knows it.  If he doesn't improve, he won't be a Bill next year.

• Agree 1

Yeah it's Sweeney. I know OJ Howard had a disappointing offseason but he is a better TE than Sweeney by default. I don't understand eating the dead cap hit only to keep a lesser player on the team. Hopefully he is only on the team for right now until they need his roster spot for a different position.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

That guy from Taiwan

Yes, what a shocker that a guy who contributes in nearly every game, and is one of the best in the league at his main position, would stick on this roster.   🙃

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Yes, what a shocker that a guy who contributes in nearly every game, and is one of the best in the league at his main position, would stick on this roster.   🙃

What surprises me is not that Jones is a great gunner and therefore kept on the roster, but that year after year, they can't find a guy who they can coach up to be a really good gunner who is also a viable backup at a position of need.  So many good athletes pass through that don't make it.  Couldn't a backup CB, S, LB or (viable) RB be molded into a gunner over the course of a training camp or a season on the Practice Squad?  Or is it just that specialized a skill and Jones just that much better at it?  Given that I trust our coaching staff and front office, I'd have to say yes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, The Dean said:

He is also a backup running back who is 34 years old.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BRH said:

906468774_ScreenShot2022-08-30at7_44_09PM.thumb.png.1ca6fe3f76c2700bd63e375803ea09ec.png

My guess is Tyrel is probably also wondering why Sweeney is on the team....

Providing this is legitimate, he does realise he’s not been cut and will have to share a locker room with some of the players he’s indirectly calling out (not that I disagree)?

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BRH said:

906468774_ScreenShot2022-08-30at7_44_09PM.thumb.png.1ca6fe3f76c2700bd63e375803ea09ec.png

Didn't Dodson make the team?  And hasn't the team stuck by him, despite a somewhat checkered past?  I'm surprised that he'd post a comment like this on social media (if that's what this is).  Why bite the hand that feeds you?  As suggested above, perhaps this is not legitimate, although who would spoof the social media of a relatively unknown backup linebacker?

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Stevenson over Hodgins and Can Roten over Mancz make no sense to me. I’m no Sweeney fan, but I also don’t get all the hate he’s been getting. I think people just wanted to believe that OJ Howard would be good and don’t want to admit he sucked.

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Bobby hart. He’s awful 

He legitimately played really well in the preseason.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

What surprises me is not that Jones is a great gunner and therefore kept on the roster, but that year after year, they can't find a guy who they can coach up to be a really good gunner who is also a viable backup at a position of need.  So many good athletes pass through that don't make it.  Couldn't a backup CB, S, LB or (viable) RB be molded into a gunner over the course of a training camp or a season on the Practice Squad?  Or is it just that specialized a skill and Jones just that much better at it?  Given that I trust our coaching staff and front office, I'd have to say yes.

Thank You :D

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Airseven said:

More so generally baffled that the OL is still mediocre with little depth, TEs the same, and CB is a wild roll of the dice amongst rookies.

Shocker.

21 minutes ago, BRH said:

Dunno who he's referring to.  I certainly hope he's tweeting about another teams transactions.  Otherwise publicly commenting in a somewhat negative tone doesn't seem like he's fully into the process. If he has some beef with the cuts he should keep it behind closed doors and not be tweeting cryptic innuendo.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

None really.  You can say Sweeney but Howard just did not show up.  I suppose you could exchange say a Hart for one of the other guys but is there really much difference there?  I might have kept Hodgins over Kumerow but special teams always have been and always will be a priority for this staff.

over 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Stevenson over Hodgins and Can Roten over Mancz make no sense to me. I’m no Sweeney fan, but I also don’t get all the hate he’s been getting. I think people just wanted to believe that OJ Howard would be good and don’t want to admit he sucked.

He legitimately played really well in the preseason.

Stevenson is likely going on IR to make room for a punter on Weds.  He has that trait you can't coach: speed.

Per Buscaglia, Van Roten > Mancz is a matter of "best ability is availability" as Mancz has had ankle injuries the last 3 seasons and had them in training camp.

But I hope Kromer and Beane are combing the waiver wire for an upgrade.

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You can say Sweeney but Howard just did not show up.

If they decided to keep Morris over Howard I can live with that, Morris is at least somewhat of an unknown. But we already know what Sweeney is in this league. For all intents and purposes the Bills had one TE on the roster last year, they stopped dressing Sweeney after his awful showing in the Panthers game. He can't block, he can't separate, he can't catch. He is not even a JAG. Personally I wouldn't even keep him on the PS. I just can't figure out why this regime would keep him over Howard considering the dead cap hit.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

If they decided to keep Morris over Howard I can live with that, Morris is at least somewhat of an unknown. But we already know what Sweeney is in this league. For all intents and purposes the Bills had one TE on the roster last year, they stopped dressing Sweeney after his awful showing in the Panthers game. He can't block, he can't separate, he can't catch. He is not even a JAG. Personally I wouldn't even keep him on the PS. I just can't figure out why this regime would keep him over Howard considering the dead cap hit.

Because Howard simply did not play well, worse than Sweeney.  That seemed clear watching the preseasons.  Watching those games I question whether Howard’s heart was all in to be honest.  The reality is it will be Knox and Morris doing the work, Gilliam for blocking, and Sweeney if a guy goes down.  You’re right that he’ll likely be inactive a lot but someone has to be, I guess.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Because special teams is more of a how bad do you want it

And most NFL starters, And fringe starters… Have too much hope of being a full-time player… To lay it all on the line on special teams

It’s a very violent third of the game

And it’s all about who wants it more.. The bottom half of the roster want it more on STs

55 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah it's Sweeney. I know OJ Howard had a disappointing offseason but he is a better TE than Sweeney by default. I don't understand eating the dead cap hit only to keep a lesser player on the team. Hopefully he is only on the team for right now until they need his roster spot for a different position.

Sometimes a team will go with a player like Sweeney, who although he is not as talented as Howard, he will grind 10x harder. Culture/Process thing.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Because Howard simply did not play well, worse than Sweeney.

I don't agree with that. I'm not saying Howard played well but it was better than anything Sweeney has ever shown. You may be right that they decided that his heart isn't it, and I don't mind if that's why they cut him. I just don't agree Sweeney's "heart" comes anywhere close to bridging the talent gap.

All this being said it's possible Sweeney is a temporary roster spot that they'll eventually replace with a better TE or another position entirely. In that event no complaints from me.

35 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Dunno who he's referring to.  I certainly hope he's tweeting about another teams transactions.  Otherwise publicly commenting in a somewhat negative tone doesn't seem like he's fully into the process. If he has some beef with the cuts he should keep it behind closed doors and not be tweeting cryptic innuendo.

"Process Police to locker 53..."

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Apparently, I am the only guy here who likes sweeney! 😃

give the guy a chance! I thought he has flashed at times. He played 6 games as a rookie, and missed his entire second season, so he is still really inexperienced still.  I think he can still develop into a solid #2 TE. 

Wax on wax off

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.