Raheem Blackshear Overreaction/Hype

jwhit34

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There has been media speculation (Buscaglia I think?  Maybe Parrino?) that the Bills may try to trade Moss

It doesn't surprise me that there's speculation, but I'm guessing it's based on the same sort of crowded-rb-room deduction that I'm using. We'll see!

I’m just thrilled that we are on this end of the deal for a change. We used to look for starters and depth guys on other teams scrap heaps.  We are now the team that others look to when they need pieces before the season starts.

I’’m good with Blackshear making it to our practice squad. He clearly has something to offer, and it seems to be instincts and effort more than amazing physical talent. 

• Agree 2

If Antonio Williams didn’t get a shot I don’t know why people think Blackshear will. Williams even performed in a reagular season game…averaged over 5 yards a carry and had TDs and was never seen again. Just ain’t happening. Our draft picks will be the only ones getting carried this season.

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

If Antonio Williams didn’t get a shot I don’t know why people think Blackshear will. Williams even performed in a reagular season game…averaged over 5 yards a carry and had TDs and was never seen again. Just ain’t happening. Our draft picks will be the only ones getting carried this season.

While I agree with you, Blackshear at least has kick return potential also - and is more of the receiving threat than Williams. However Cook kind of makes Blackshear redundant unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PolishPrince said:

While I agree with you, Blackshear at least has kick return potential also - and is more of the receiving threat than Williams. However Cook kind of makes Blackshear redundant unfortunately.

Yep.  There's a RB on the roster that does everything he does well, but just a bit better.  Our roster is just a tough spot for Blackshear.  I don't think he has the type of gamebreaking potential to force the Bills to keep him, but he's a "football player" and he'll catch on somewhere, just like Antonio Williams did (who is once again showing that he's got the juice during preseason with the Giants).

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

My money is on he is getting cut, will not be claimed and will be on the Bills PS.

Most likely.  I do however believe he has more talent than Willaims and definitely more than Wade.

He may be in the mix for RB3 next year.  Can't ask for more than that from an UDFA.

51 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not following your logic train here.  Taiwan Jones is 1005 on the team as a ST gunner.  When he's had his chances to contribute on offense he's squibbed.  So Blackshear would need to be better at ST to oust Taiwan Jones.

The Elephant in the Room that neither you nor the guy you're responding to mentioned is the RB's critical role in pass protection.  How is Blackshear there?

There has been media speculation (Buscaglia I think?  Maybe Parrino?) that the Bills may try to trade Moss

Green Bay

Just stop. I don’t care about your ridiculous opinion, or anyone else’s for that matter on keeping special teams guys. They are wasted roster spots. I don’t care about punt and kick teams. 

• Eyeroll 2

It's pretty wild how different the RB situation looks right now, compared to last season.  

We don't have a workhorse stud RB, but I'd argue that we potentially have a Top 10 backfield with Singletary, Moss and Cook... That's a far cry from where we've been in that room.  

Singletary is a legitimate lead back, not elite.. but average to above average at everything. 

Moss, now healthy, looks like a legit power back with the added bonus of being an above average pass pro/receiving back.

If Cook hits... and early indications are positive... this is a very good trio.  

Blackshear making it to the PS, with the chance to be RB3 next year would be icing on the cake.  Not sure, given our pass happy offense and QB contract, we can wish for much more than what we're going into the season with at RB, sans burning a RD1 pick on a back. 

Edited by SCBills

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I agree Blackshear defintely raised some eyebrows.... But like I said above he is not surplanting our top 3 RBs... he's in the conversation for 4th RB spot for sure, but odds are more in favor of PS

The guy on WGR today has the Bills cutting Zack Moss and keeping Tommy Sweeney😳

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

This year is no different. In the tradition of Da'Rick Rogers, Naaman Roosevelt, Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Joique Bell, Cierre Wood, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams and of course Duke Williams, this year we have Raheem Blackshear.

No love for the great Anthony Gray?

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

"Underdog stories, especially RBs and WRs, seem to be a tradition unlike any other for Bills fans, and probably fans of most other teams. 

This year is no different. In the tradition of Da'Rick Rogers, Naaman Roosevelt, Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Joique Bell, Cierre Wood, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams and of course Duke Williams, this year we have Raheem Blackshear."

He'll be gon like the turkey through corn if he's placed on the practice squad. So, if that's where he ends up, that means there was nothing the coaching staff could do to save him.

This is the most talented group of rookies and free agents on the Bills I've ever seen!

Edited by Buffaloflash

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just stop. I don’t care about your ridiculous opinion, or anyone else’s for that matter on keeping special teams guys. They are wasted roster spots. I don’t care about punt and kick teams. 

LOL, "just stop", let me think....No. 

"I don't care", your "feels" interest someone else, Why?  Oh.  They don't.  What matters is how well you support your arguments.

McDermott and Beane have shown for 5 successful years THEY don't consider ST spots wasted.  Talking as though Blackshear is competing against Taiwan Jones for offensive contributions misses the point about who might get kept or cut on the Bills and why.  GB lost their Divisional playoff game on a blocked punt return, so McDermott and Beane just might know something.

Then there's the point I raised which has nothing to do with ST that you skipped over:

"The Elephant in the Room that neither you nor the guy you're responding to mentioned is the RB's critical role in pass protection.  How is Blackshear there?"

You say?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Correct, once any player hits the PS they can be protected weekly.  Not saying he would.  And yes, have to clear waivers to get to PS.

Feel it’s a good bet he’d clear waivers.

Even protecting weekly doesn’t mean protected.  It means from Wednesday to Sunday as you build your game plan - he can’t be poached, but teams can take him after the game until the next protection.

It just keeps a guy you may be using in the game plan due to injury and keep him from going elsewhere.

You can’t keep a guy there indefinitely if another team wants him.

15 minutes ago, Buffaloflash said:

He'll be gon like the turkey through corn if he's placed on the practice squad. So, if that's where he ends up, that means there was nothing the coaching staff could do to save him.

This is the most talented group of rookies and free agents on the Bills I've ever seen!

The group hasn't played a game yet, they show promise but we will see. 

I would take the 1985 draft class over this one:

Bruce Smith

Derrick Burroughs (unfortunate that injuries curtailed his career)

Chris Burkett

Frank Reich

Andre Reed 

Dale Hellestrae (over 200 games as a long snapper)

Hal Garner

Ron Pitts

They also picked up UDFA Scott Norwood

1987 was also very good:

Shane Conlan

Nate Odomes

Roland Mitchell (ended up in the Leonard Smith trade)

David Brandon

Jamie Mueller

Leon Seals

Keith McKellar

Howard Ballard

UDFA Mitch Frerotte

Bill Polian had a 4 year run in the draft (1985-88) that was amazing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mrags said:

The problem with this argument is…

1. He Doesn't need to be more accomplished than Devin Singletary 

2. He doesn’t need to be more powerful or effective in short yardage than Zack Moss. 

3. He doesn’t need to be faster or a better pass catching back than James Cook. 

he just needs to be better at all of those things than Taiwan Jones. And he is 100%

Doesn’t Blackshear have to better than Jones on ST?  or at least a contributor on ST?  Does he just get to be a 4th string player that brings nothing else just because you like hm?  

You keep ignoring the fact that Jones was a team captain and a special teams ace.  

Oh, special teams aren’t important, that’s right.  Just assume every punt and every kickoff will be a touchback.   Isn’t that your theory?  

I am pulling for Blackshear to make the 53 but if he doesn’t I trust that McDermott had good reasons why.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I haven’t followed as closely as years past but it looks like the coaches are giving more guys every opportunity to win these jobs from the special teams players. It’s pretty clear if you are on the fringe you should be begging to get in on special teams to make this roster. All that said, I don’t think blackshear has a prayer in the world other than injury to make this roster. 
And I’m not even sold he gets snatched right away from the practice squad. Not because he’s not talented but most teams have quite a few backs they want to keep. Until injuries start piling up I think he’d be safe 

3 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

The group hasn't played a game yet, they show promise but we will see. 

I would take the 1985 draft class over this one:

Bruce Smith

Derrick Burroughs (unfortunate that injuries curtailed his career)

Chris Burkett

Frank Reich

Andre Reed 

Dale Hellestrae (over 200 games as a long snapper)

Hal Garner

Ron Pitts

They also picked up UDFA Scott Norwood

1987 was also very good:

Shane Conlan

Nate Odomes

Roland Mitchell (ended up in the Leonard Smith trade)

David Brandon

Jamie Mueller

Leon Seals

Keith McKellar

Howard Ballard

UDFA Mitch Frerotte

Bill Polian had a 4 year run in the draft (1985-88) that was amazing. 

Well, I guess, we'll have to see how many we keep, and how those we do keep contributes. At this point, I'm very optimistic about whoever can make this team. 

18 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Doesn’t Blackshear have to better than Jones on ST?  or at least a contributor on ST?  Does he just get to be a 4th string player that brings nothing else just because you like hm?  

You keep ignoring the fact that Jones was a team captain and a special teams ace.  

Oh, special teams aren’t important, that’s right.  Just assume every punt and every kickoff will be a touchback.   Isn’t that your theory?  

I am pulling for Blackshear to make the 53 but if he doesn’t I trust that McDermott had good reasons why.  

Blackshear has been in ever single special teams play so far this preseason from what I’ve seen. He is a contributor. 

I don’t care about special teams captains. They are a waste of a roster spot. 

special teams aren’t important. That is why there is only 1 special teamer in the HOF and he’s a punter. The league itself barely recognizes it. 

this whole argument for me with everyone here isn’t even about Blackshear. It’s the point that STs is a waste of a roster position. I don’t care who it is. LB. WR. RB. DB. Any position. I’ll take an extra player at any position vs just a guy that runs down on kickoffs. Hell, I would rather kick the damn kickoff out of bounds and give it to our opponents at the 40 every single time we score, and count on our defense to hold them instead of giving scrubs like Kumerow and Jones jobs. They are useless on this team and good for almost nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Blackshear has been in ever single special teams play so far this preseason from what I’ve seen. He is a contributor. 

special teams aren’t important. That is why there is only 1 special teamer in the HOF and he’s a punter. The league itself barely recognizes it. 

this whole argument for me with everyone here isn’t even about Blackshear. It’s the point that STs is a waste of a roster position. I don’t care who it is. LB. WR. RB. DB. Any position. I’ll take an extra player at any position vs just a guy that runs down on kickoffs. Hell, I would rather kick the damn kickoff out of bounds and give it to our opponents at the 40 every single time we score, and count on our defense to hold them instead of giving scrubs like Kumerow and Jones jobs. They are useless on this team and good for almost nothing. 

I have nothing against Blackshear, he has impressed me and I trust McDermott to do what is right for the team. 

It is everything else you said in bold italics above.  Why do you think that players that run down kicks are not good players and cannot play another position?  Why do you not see they provide a useful function and just like any other position, some players excel and others are average.  

Saying things like "kicking off out of bounds on purpose on every kickoff", that just makes you lose  credibility.  Given you thoughts above I will refrain from trying to convince you of anything.   

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It wouldn't be a pre-season if we didn't have a UDFA to drool over. Don't take that away from me.

Kamil Loud and Kwame Cavil thank you.  DaRick Rogers also says hi.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think with Blackshear he looks like a legit NFL RB unlike a guy like Christian Wade.

But there have been many RB's like him that have come through Buffalo and other teams over the years that were preseason stars only to get cut and never be heard from again.

Either way he's not making this team and will be destined for the practice squad unless another team wants him.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I agree on slot WR throws vs. designed RB plays.  But being able to have a dynamic RB receiver out of the backfield can help dictate a lot of what the defense is able to do.  If they play man coverage on cook with a linebacker its going to be a problem, if they are in a deep set cover 3 or cover 2 then he can turn nothing into like 8-10 yards really easily.  It's maximizing the checkdown, and creating a mismatch that forces the defense to adjust.  

I'd rather have Hodgins than Blackshear if we're keeping a player on the 53 for potential.  WRs are harder to find, especially with size and hands.  Gives him a chance to continue to work on his route running, and learning how to play bigger and more physical.  

Well obviously they've been below average in the screen game under Daboll.

Some of that is the RB and some of that was the OL and probably more of it was the scheme.

Playing a lot of spread let's defense's keep extra pass game athletes on the field.    That makes it harder to generate impressive gains in the screen game.

With Cook and/or Duke they are improved in the receiving aspect over Singletary and Moss(who has the advantage over Cook of being an outstanding pass pro RB).

But I think people are having visions of the AFCCG in January 1993 with the Bills running screen after screen to Thurman Thomas and the Dolphins not being able to stop it.    

Doesn't work that way anymore.   The athletes at LB and in the secondary are much too fast now........and the OL's of today are much too disjointed........for the screen game to be much more than an occasional "gotcha'".

What I love to see is more play action.   That is what has the potential to make this offense so much more difficult to stop.........not the occasional 5-8 yard dump off to Cook.   In fact spreading defense's out with Cook as a receiver sounds like one of those on-paper ideas that doesn't translate nearly as well in reality.    Spread offense's are by nature inclined to be dink-and-dunk operations.    DL pin their ears back, less time to throw = short throws.   That's hard on the receiving talent taking all those hits for small gains and exposes you to more potential for turnover etc..

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Special teams players do all play offense/defense positions?  At that part of the roster, you don't play on the field other than special teams so you should practice that as well.  

Why would you intentionally shoot yourself in the foot?  We punted 52 times, kicked off 99 times, returned 37 punts, 32 FGs, 51 extra points, and returned 33 kick returns.   An entire unit of inexperienced guys means things like blocked punts and FGs, long returns, and just general field position lost.  There isn't a coach in the league who wants to trade field position for players who might be better position players (stress MIGHT here because its all board speculation at this point) but aren't very good on special teams.  

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Special teams players do all play offense/defense positions?  At that part of the roster, you don't play on the field other than special teams so you should practice that as well.  

Why would you intentionally shoot yourself in the foot?  We punted 52 times, kicked off 99 times, returned 37 punts, 32 FGs, 51 extra points, and returned 33 kick returns.   An entire unit of inexperienced guys means things like blocked punts and FGs, long returns, and just general field position lost.  There isn't a coach in the league who wants to trade field position for players who might be better position players (stress MIGHT here because its all board speculation at this point) but aren't very good on special teams.  

Because we have the special teams players in Araiza, and Bass that have the ability to create as a lower number of returns than the average. 

all of these guys do play special teams yes. And anyone can be taught to run down the field and stay in your lane. That’s coaching. Not ability at that point. 

And more than anything… because if I’m going to keep a guy as my 4th RB, or 6th or 7th receiver. I want a guy that actually produces at any level at the position. A guy like Taiwan Jones is a waste of a roster spot. He has shown absolutely nothing in terms of position play on offense. I’d much rather take a guy that had some spark in him. 

not to mention that next year we will likely be losing Singletary in FA. And I’d feel much better going into next offseason with Moss, Cook, and Blackshear on my roster. Knowing that a guy like Blackshear could produce if needed. Not needing to take another 3rd or 4th round RB every single year. Rinse and repeat.

But that’s another argument that I believe in that most others don’t. And that’s spending an early draft pick on a do it all back. Someone like Ettiene, or Hall, and then you don’t have to have 3 RBs that none of them excel at everything. It limits roster space and this has been something I’ve argued about for years. If we would have drafted Hall this year, we could easily save a roster spot for someone like Jones for STs. All while Hall was an every down back where you wouldn’t need 3 completely different types of RBs. 

whatever you want to believe I really don’t care. Your opinion is meaningless to me. 

Anyone got the flow chart available of the preseason hype player we can't let go because they are going to be something? I thought it went something like this for the last decade:

Jeff Tuel -> Bryce Brown -> Chris Hogan -> Brandon Reilly -> Christian Wade -> Duke Williams -> Blackshear?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Bell actually ended up playing in the NFL and had a decent year in 2014 gaining over 1000 all purpose yards.  He stuck on their active roster for 4 years. Not bad for a UDFA.

None of that matters LOL.  Stunningly he made $9.1 million in career earnings.  Now THAT matters

• Thank you (+1) 1

Blackshear isnt making it to the practice squad. He will be on an active roster somewhere if he shows out again in a third game. If we want to stash him, we should probably not play him much in the 3rd game. lol

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

Anyone got the flow chart available of the preseason hype player we can't let go because they are going to be something? I thought it went something like this for the last decade:

Jeff Tuel -> Bryce Brown -> Chris Hogan -> Brandon Reilly -> Christian Wade -> Duke Williams -> Blackshear?

I mean there is always guys you are rooting for to make it. Hogan actually did. The other guys had little to no chance. Blackshear does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.