Giants decline Jones 5th year option

Draconator

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

I think with less people wanting to move up, we could potentially pay less esp if the giants want another first for next year. Cant see too many people offering that.

If the price to swap is only next years first (32nd overall😄) then it’s worth discussing. I think it will cost more than that…and I’m not sure any of the guys you mentioned are much better than what will be available at 25…I definitely would not spend 5 or 7 overall on a safety or a guy coming off an ACL, and I don’t think McDermott wants to use such a high pick on a corner…

5 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Yes, but this year they have #5 and #7 while they have no idea where they'll draft next season. Maybe they trade one of those picks for a 1st rounder in the 2023 draft.

More than likely they will be drafting top 15 in 2023, probably more like top 10. Give them a 2nd 1st rd pick and they have the powder to make the move

25 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If Jones doesn't show much early on and recapture the ability he seemed to show as a rookie it will probably just be a musical chairs situation at QB all year.

I wonder if the Giants look into getting Mayfield?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

If the price to swap is only next years first (32nd overall😄) then it’s worth discussing. I think it will cost more than that…and I’m not sure any of the guys you mentioned are much better than what will be available at 25…I definitely would not spend 5 or 7 overall on a safety or a guy coming off an ACL, and I don’t think McDermott wants to use such a high pick on a corner…

It is, and obviously I would wait til later if we can to reduce the cost, but those are the 4 or so I would trade up for, the issue is finding another partner and I do not know how many teams would want to trade out 

This is no surprise.  If Jones "is who they thought he was" they are not tied to the big 5th year salary and can move on from him.  If he surprises and plays well, they can re-sign him, tag him, etc.  If he plays well and they re-sign him, he may well cost more than the 5th year option price, but that would be a good problem for them to have and they are willing to take that gamble.

2 hours ago, H2o said:

Not a surprise really. I think, a lot like things were done around here, Schoen and Daboll go after a QB in the 2nd draft. Next year will be WAYYYYY better to do so. And if somehow Jones turns out to be what they are looking for? They have the Franchise Tag option and then can negotiate. Can't blame them one bit for not gifting the guy $22M though. 

Exactly.  I don't think he's worth $2 million at this point. The performance he gave last year on Monday Nite I believe in Tampa was absolutely brutal.  

1 minute ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Exactly.  I don't think he's worth $2 million at this point. The performance he gave last year on Monday Nite I believe in Tampa was absolutely brutal.  

Was that the game he had a sure-fire TD run, but tripped over his own feet in the open field with no one around him? 

Jones has good traits. He was over drafted, thrown to the fire, and had some awful coaching. Where I kind of blame him, is that I fee like he could have corrected those flaws in the offseason. So I am curious to see where it goes. He is similar to Darnold in my mind. Rejecting the option makes a ton of sense, and you put the honus on him. 

4 hours ago, Greg S said:

Isn't this a weak class for QB's though? No guarantee they draft one this year. Tyrod Taylor can be a good "bridge" QB until they draft their next potential franchise QB.

With two top 10 picks could 1 be a QB? As Malik Willis athleticism is Allenesque and Daboll might think he can mold him like he did with Josh. Personally if I was them I'd trade down and see if can add an extra 1st next year.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm kind of curious about this decision.  I'm not a Danny Dimes fan, but 22 mil for the 5th year option isn't a lot for a QB  I know the Giants are in cap hell, so maybe it's moreso that.

Overall, I would just think they would want more than one year to evaluate him in the new system.  If he has even a moderately good season, might he not cost more than 22?

They are top 5 in cap space next year.

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Not a surprise really. I think, a lot like things were done around here, Schoen and Daboll go after a QB in the 2nd draft. Next year will be WAYYYYY better to do so. And if somehow Jones turns out to be what they are looking for? They have the Franchise Tag option and then can negotiate. Can't blame them one bit for not gifting the guy $22M though. 

If Jones explodes this season, he would have wanted a new contract for next year anyways, so this is a smart move on their part IMO.   I think this is probably a reaction to the failure of so many first round QBs to actually turn into franchise QBs.  These are the first round QBs taken since 2015:

2015: Jameis Winston (1), Marcus Mariota (2)

2016: Jared Goff (1), Carson Wentz (2), Paxton Lynch (26)

2017: Mitch Trubisky (3), Patrick Mahomes (10), Deshaun Watson (12)

2018: Baker Mayfield (1), Sam Darnold (3), Josh Allen (7), Josh Rosen (10), Lamar Jackson (32)

2019: Kyler Murray (1), Daniel Jones (6), Dwayne Haskins (15)

The bolded QBs are the bonafide franchise QBs who are/were worth their fifth year salaries, although all but Lamar have gotten extensions/new contracts, and Lamar's lack of an extension/new contract is more that he hasn't pushed negotiations rather than the Ravens not wanting to keep him.   That's only 4 franchise QBs out of 16 QBs taken in the first round.

The underlined QBs (Baker and Kyler) have shown some promise but they haven't proven that they are actually worth even the big bucks of their fifth year option much less new contracts IMO.  Their play seems to be similar to the how Goff and Wentz played in their first three years: some flashes but not consistently top quality play.  The Rams and Eagles both exercised the fifth year options on Goff and Wentz, gave them new contracts, and regretted doing so.  Cleveland exercised Baker's fifth year option but his play last season didn't merit a new contract.  The Browns went out and got a better QB.   Kyler hasn't shown that he can perform at a high level for an entire season, but he's threatening a hold out if he doesn't get a new contract before the start of his fourth season.  We'll see how that all shakes out.

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'm surprised, I thought Daboll interviewed on the premise that he could fix Danny and make him a Josh Allen type project? I wonder if they will add a QB in the draft then

No need.  They have Jake Fromm State Farm!!

5 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

When the Bills needed a qb in 2013 they didn't care that it was an extraordinarily weak year for qb's. They reached and took a guy in the 1st round who probably should have been a 3rd rounder based on his talent. Hopefully the Giants panic and take a qb to develop during Jones' final year. Then teams like the Panthers, Falcons, Seahawks, Commanders, and Texans will over-draft qb's as well.

Big difference.  The Bills dumped Fitzpatrick before the draft & only had Tarvaris Jackson, Kevin Kolb & Aaron Corp signed for 2013 before the draft.  None of them were around by opening day.  Jackson & Corp were released & Kolb was on IR.  So the Bills panicked because they had to draft a QB.  The Giants have 2 QBs who have been starters multiple years.  

7 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

No need.  They have Jake Fromm State Farm!!

No they don't.  Fromm is gone.  https://www.bigblueview.com/2022/3/16/22980961/giants-opt-not-to-tender-exclusive-free-agent-offer-to-qb-jake-fromm

If Jones is realistic he knows he is the right spot based on how things have went.

You’d be more concerned about his mental state if he was furious right now or felt entitled to that 5th Year Option.

Jones will get his opportunity to make his money.

but that is all he will get…an opportunity.

the rest is up to him.

On 4/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, Greg S said:

Tyrod Taylor time. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the starter at some point.

Or they may be talking to the Baker to see if they Mayfield another surprise QB cake for a party after the draft is done ??

On 4/28/2022 at 1:01 PM, KDIGGZ said:

I'm surprised, I thought Daboll interviewed on the premise that he could fix Danny and make him a Josh Allen type project? I wonder if they will add a QB in the draft then

Yeah, most people aren’t surprised, but I find it strange. I understand not picking up the option, but doesn’t that leave the Giants with a lame duck QB? It doesn’t seem like an ideal situation for a first year head coach. As you mentioned, I thought Daboll was going to “fix” Jones. I’d want to believe in my QB having some potential if I took the Giants head coaching job.

It’s fair to move on from Jones in the future. I don’t think he has the ability to be a Super Bowl QB, but who’s to say you can’t sneak into the playoffs with him? I’d want Daboll to have a couple season to give it a try. They aren’t finding a QB in this draft, it’d make sense to have Jones in 2023. I’m not claiming Jones is any good, but it’s a weird move imo. 

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, most people aren’t surprised, but I find it strange. I understand not picking up the option, but doesn’t that leave the Giants with a lame duck QB? It doesn’t seem like an ideal situation for a first year head coach. As you mentioned, I thought Daboll was going to “fix” Jones. I’d want to believe in my QB having some potential if I took the Giants head coaching job.

It’s fair to move on from Jones in the future. I don’t think he has the ability to be a Super Bowl QB, but who’s to say you can’t sneak into the playoffs with him? I’d want Daboll to have a couple season to give it a try. They aren’t finding a QB in this draft, it’d make sense to have Jones in 2023. I’m not claiming Jones is any good, but it’s a weird move imo. 

I only have two words for Daboll…Peter Man! Or was that one word? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

Or they may be talking to the Baker to see if they Mayfield another surprise QB cake for a party after the draft is done ??

I'm thinking the Giants may use a 5th and bring in Baker. Daboll is the QB whisperer. Thinks he can fix Baker and has a QB with NFL experience. Can use draft picks to continue to build roster. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.