Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Should be a great signing for the Bills for the first 2 years. So that make only 1 yr POSSIBLY where he is a liability.. but may get you over the hump against KC. 

Even at 35, he's not going to be the 60th worst DE in the game.  He'll just be a somewhat overpaid one.  It's not like he'll be so bad we'd have to cut him, and crush our cap doing so. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JBI$111 said:

This contract seems more like a rookie GM handling it & reaching for a name or a splash for marketing purposes because he missed on a few others this year that we may or may not know about aka like Russ Brandon in the past (which never worked out), that's way too much and ridiculous regardless of how it's back-loaded.

I like Brandon Beane a lot, but this just seems like an over zealous reach & inexperience GM move. Stupid and he really got fleeced & overpaid! They need better offensive lineman, a cornerback or two, a really good linebacker and another stud wide receiver like DK Metcalf. Also, a better running back then just Singletary.

Only took 5 posts to make the ignore list, that's gotta be some kind of record!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think the pass rush was pretty underrated last season too so they could be absolute animals this year.

I would think adding a guy like Von Miller into the mix will serve to make the entire DL more productive and better. Its exciting to ponder the possibilities moving forward that is for sure! I frankly don't care who eats as long as someone on that line does ya know?

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course not. My issue is the contract. You really think he's going have anything left in year 3, 4, 5, and 6? The Bills brass made a terrible financial decision long term. Chandler Jones was a much better asset. 

Do you not understand how contracts and guaranteed money work? And how old do you think Chandler is?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course not. My issue is the contract. You really think he's going have anything left in year 3, 4, 5, and 6? The Bills brass made a terrible financial decision long term. Chandler Jones was a much better asset. 

It's a good thing the structure of the contract has clear and easy outs for years 4-5-6 with little to no guaranteed money.  It's also really easy to go find this information by this point of the news breaking.  

Also, Chandler Jones is almost the same age as Miller, and by most metrics is not as efficient as Miller.  I think you can argue that Jones might be a better asset but it's not nearly as clear cut as you're making it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Tax payers

I have to believe you know the public money is for the Stadium---which the county (not the team) will own, right?  And that money has nothing at all to do with the money for players. Right?  You know that?

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The ignorance is strong with this one.

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

I would think adding a guy like Von Miller into the mix will serve to make the entire DL more productive and better. Its exciting to ponder the possibilities moving forward that is for sure! I frankly don't care who eats as long as someone on that line does ya know?

GO BILLS!~!~!!!

I’m kind of bittersweet we didn’t trade for him last year now…we saved some picks but Im pretty sure we would’ve won it all last year with von on board

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Even at 35, he's not going to be the 60th worst DE in the game.  He'll just be a somewhat overpaid one.  It's not like he'll be so bad we'd have to cut him, and crush our cap doing so. 

Wonder to if part of the reason he came to Buffalo is knowing they use a deep rotation on the D line which is good news for a 30 something  year old player.  Fans here don't like it, but I'm sure the older players do.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Hey guys, sorry to Debbie Down this celebration, but I've got a bit of bad news.  

Upon hearing of the Miller signing, I immediately rejoiced, jumping up and down, ran outside, stripped naked and began running down the street.  Unfortunately, I'm not in the best shape, and after about 30 yards or so, my heart gave out on me, and I collapsed right on my street.  I was pronounced dead about 46 minutes ago.  That was the bad news.  The good news is I'm happy to report they have wifi up here In heaven, so I'll be cheering our Bills on LITERALLY in spirit!!

Go Bills!!!  Beane is an effing wizard!!!  Let's get this Lombardi trophy dammit!!

I'm harder than a 6 pound block of ice in Siberia in a snowstorm with minus 12 degree temps and wind gusts of 29 mph...

Really, you sure about heaven? Do they really let you talk like that there?

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Congratulations on being the most petty member of TBD today.  You win the internet gold star. 

Thank you, I shall treasure it always!

(You’re happy about this signing though, right? Or still mad at Beane for…reasons?)

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's the same contract as Chandler Jones but with cap pushed back. So 2 years from now there will be a high cap hit but there ways to work around it. Josh Allen has huge base salaries. The easiest way to clear cap in 2024 and 2025 will be to convert those base salaries to bonus cash. Plus the TV money will boost the cap a lot.

In other words don't worry about the cap numbers.

granted the cap is a complicated formula that very few can truly explain. One of those is a poster named @Tuco I hope he chimes in. 

18 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Josh will have us playing with large leads and Von Miller will be able to just tee off. This should allow him to flourish, the corners will benefit and Rousseau and Basham will most likely learn a few things to improve their game.

Do you see a trade of Epenesa to another team ?

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Can recall Monday morning reading the Bills sign McKenzie for $8 mil, by Tuesday morning when contract detail came out it was $4 mil.  Expect the same here.

This is the first free agent the Bills ever signed that my wife knew right away who he was.  She's a Dancing With the Stars viewer!

NFL.com is reporting that $51M guaranteed and  average of 17.5M per year for the 1st four years.... we will have him for 3-4 years depending on how he plays out.

Our 1st pick is now really looking like a CB.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, daz28 said:

I really am quite shocked there’s any objection to this signing amongst bills fans lol it is an absolute no brainer.  Who could we draft/sign in any free agencies in the near future that could make anywhere near as big of an impact as von.  We’re not getting top 10 picks every year anymore 😂

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I have to believe you know the public money is for the Stadium---which the county (not the team) will own, right?  And that money has nothing at all to do with the money for players. Right?  You know that?

The ignorance is strong with this one.

Yes, it was a joke

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I’m kind of bittersweet we didn’t trade for him last year now…we saved some picks but Im pretty sure we would’ve won it all last year with von on board

I hope lamenting last years season will become a distant and dare say a forgotten memory after we finally achieve the Lombardi This seson. It's my fervent hope anyway 🙂

Just now, ganesh said:

NFL.com is reporting that $51M guaranteed and  average of 17.5M per year for the 1st four years.... we will have him for 3-4 years depending on how he plays out.

Which is perfect when you look at the rookie deals we have for Basham/Rousseau.  As Von Miller slows down these guys should be able to pick up the mantle (assuming development pans out).

Just now, muppy said:

granted the cap is a complicated formula that very few can truly explain. One of those is a poster named @Tuco I hope he chimes in. 

It's actually simple. Bonus money can be spread out over the length of the contract. Base salary can't. Base salary can be converted into bonus money and spread out.

So you can keep doing it but there's a risk. Once the player you keep kicking cap down the road for starts to decline you start to get into trouble. I mean the Saints cleared like $80 million in cap without cutting anyone. Owners don't like giving out all that bonus money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Went out this evening annoyed about the Jones/McKissic situation. Came back to THIS?

I have some sympathy with those who read the opening post and then jump to reply without going through the 36 pages in between - might be worth editing the original post to add the tweets laying out the conditions?

What a brilliant move from us; we really want that trophy. Just hope everything falls into place.

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well some people who were working OT making excuses about why the Bills couldn't afford an elite pass rusher gotta' say something now that it happened, right? 😉

Yeah…reminds me of the people who deflect blame from GM’s or HC’s because everyone makes mistakes at some point.  Should apply to posters as well….didn’t think they’d do it…but hey, all posters are wrong so can’t blame me..  :lol:

10 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

It's a good thing the structure of the contract has clear and easy outs for years 4-5-6 with little to no guaranteed money.  It's also really easy to go find this information by this point of the news breaking.  

Also, Chandler Jones is almost the same age as Miller, and by most metrics is not as efficient as Miller.  I think you can argue that Jones might be a better asset but it's not nearly as clear cut as you're making it out to be. 

He might be less injury prone at this point but Miller is excellent vs the run and equally adept rushing the passer.  I’d take Miller over chandler all day every day m, if healthy. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It's actually simple. Bonus money can be spread out over the length of the contract. Base salary can't. Base salary can be converted into bonus money and spread out.

So you can keep doing it but there's a risk. Once the player you keep kicking cap down the road for starts to decline you start to get into trouble. I mean the Saints cleared like $80 million in cap without cutting anyone. Owners don't like giving out all that bonus money.

True but one clarification.  The bonus can only be spread over 5years max. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ganesh said:

Our 1st pick is now really looking like a CB.

Yeah I've been thinking CB for awhile.  Part of my rational too is IMO CB is one of the positions rookies can come in and start and not look lost.  CB and RB seem to be the two easiest for rookies.

Think it will go CB, WR, G/C in first three rounds.

Think they will still sign a mid level CB in case someone gets hurt plus RB and back up CB and likely another mid level lineman.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

it's all the converting and moving around that confounds me mate . Math is not my jam but I fully respect folks that have that aptitude. kudos Thank you for the insight. 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.