Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well some people who were working OT making excuses about why the Bills couldn't afford an elite pass rusher gotta' say something now that it happened, right? 😉

Hahahaha. They’re the ones sayin that Miller won’t be any good in 6 years and the contract is way too long. 

amen brother!  We got von! Beane stepped up to the plate.  Thoughts on the Howard pickup?  I’m stoked about that one too.  Good start

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I get the excitement but let's take a closer look. Miller isn't the force he used to be. Last year, he wasn't an everyday player. Not sure of his official snap count. He got 9 sacks on a team that has Darnold who was double and triple teamed. After the dusk settles, perhaps some will see some validity to my criticism.

Stop while you still have an account

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

granted the cap is a complicated formula that very few can truly explain. One of those is a poster named @Tuco I hope he chimes in. 

Aww shucks.

It's likely really a 2-3 year deal that will stick us with a good amount of dead cap in '25 or so. But everybody knows that.

I would expect to see a modest but guaranteed first year salary, and of course a signing bonus prorated for 5 years. Year 2 will be more costly but still not as bad as it will initially seem. The reason it's 6 years is so they can include more fully guaranteed money at signing but spread it out a little further. Expect year 2 to have a nice large guaranteed option bonus that will show a large cap hit in 2023, but will be converted into signing bonus at the start of '23 and can then be prorated over years 2-6 of the deal. Year 2 will also likely include a trigger of some sort that will guarantee at least some of the '24 salary. As will year 3 and maybe even 4. Or possibly a sizeable roster bonus instead. Either one will force the Bills to make a decision early on an aging vet with a monster contract starting in 2024.

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get the excitement but let's take a closer look. Miller isn't the force he used to be. Last year, he wasn't an everyday player. Not sure of his official snap count. He got 9 sacks on a team that has Darnold who was double and triple teamed. After the dusk settles, perhaps some will see some validity to my criticism.

with a knowledeable argument like that, i think everyone needs to take you seriously. We shouldve traded for feared interior DLineman Sam Darnold!!!

WAKE UP BEANE!!!!!!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Aww shucks.

It's likely really a 2-3 year deal that will stick us with a good amount of dead cap in '25 or so. But everybody knows that.

I would expect to see a modest but guaranteed first year salary, and of course a signing bonus prorated for 5 years. Year 2 will be more costly but still not as bad as it will initially seem. The reason it's 6 years is so they can include more fully guaranteed money at signing but spread it out a little further. Expect year 2 to have a nice large guaranteed option bonus that will show a large cap hit in 2023, but will be converted into signing bonus at the start of '23 and can then be prorated over years 2-6 of the deal. Year 2 will also likely include a trigger of some sort that will guarantee at least some of the '24 salary. As will year 3 and maybe even 4. Or possibly a sizeable roster bonus instead. Either one will force the Bills to make a decision early on an aging vet with a monster contract starting in 2024.

you're the man with the answers to cap questions mate, Own it 🙂  great to read you here.

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This reads like you had a few too many beers.

You keep talking about how Miller has slowed down/regressed except the numbers don't reflect that, in fact none of the metrics that you associate with DEs say anything like it. 

What they do say is that he's still a highly effective DE with excellent body control, a great pressure win rate, bend, and someone who needs to be accounted for on the field by offenses. He was much, much more efficient last season (a very down season, according to you) than anyone the Bills had. 

If you're going to make the claim, back it up with facts.  Playing with Donald is not a negative, and it's ridiculous to somehow hold it against him (playing with Darnold is something entirely different).

These are poor, low information takes that don't make much sense. You're railing against a contract you're willfully not understanding; you're calling a player bad when the reality he's better than anyone the Bills currently have rostered.  It's just silly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just heard on the Cover 1 show that Von Miller, in 19 games in 2021 (so that includes playoffs and Super Bowl, obviously)...had:

82 pressures (!)
13 sacks
10 hits
59 hurries (2nd in the NFL)

20.4 pass rush win percentage (8th in the NFL)

And let's not forget that four of those sacks came in the playoffs (two in the Super Bowl).

Any notion that Miller is not still a very dangerous pass rusher is incorrect. He's still a hell of a player.

Also, the fact that we will have DaQuan Jones eating double teams, leaving Ed Oliver and Von Miller potentially in one-on-ones, is super exciting.

Also also, as an added bonus, Miller is known to be one of the most generous teachers of younger players in the league. He runs his own pass rush summit every year, because he's eager to teach the tools of the trade to up and coming pass rushers. He's gonna do wonders for our trio of youngsters.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Idk man watch his playoff highlights…he beats his blocker pretty much every single snap.  I think he’s underrated if anything lol I don’t think even the excited people are excited enough.  He also only got half a season with Aaron Donald where he was learning a new defensive scheme mid season..we’ll never know but he likely would’ve been well into the double digit sack totals with a full season on the rams.  I think if you want to root against this signing your only hope is he gets injured…von miller is about as sure of a thing as it gets when healthy.  Dude is in the backfield instantly…really cuts down on your opponents ability to run deep routes down the field when he’s not piling up the sacks.

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Von Miller's 2021 (19 games, including playoffs):

82 pressures 
13 sacks
10 hits

Sorry to repeat myself, but Von Miller is ABSOLUTELY still a force. That's what "taking a closer look" reveals.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Your poor wife.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You know what….call me crazy but I think I’ll trust Beane’s analysis here. 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

This reads like you had a few too many beers.

You keep talking about how Miller has slowed down/regressed except the numbers don't reflect that, in fact none of the metrics that you associate with DEs say anything like it. 

What they do say is that he's still a highly effective DE with excellent body control, a great pressure win rate, bend, and someone who needs to be accounted for on the field by offenses. He was much, much more efficient last season (a very down season, according to you) than anyone the Bills had. 

If you're going to make the claim, back it up with facts.  Playing with Donald is not a negative, and it's ridiculous to somehow hold it against him (playing with Darnold is something entirely different).

These are poor, low information takes that don't make much sense. You're railing against a contract you're willfully not understanding; you're calling a player bad when the reality he's better than anyone the Bills currently have rostered.  It's just silly. 

Fair points but Let me respond. I've never sad he's a bad player. I've said he's not the player he used to be. I stand by that statement. Sure I've over exaggerated my points. I'll concede that. Saying he's better than anything we have on the roster isn't saying much. I agree with you there. He's getting paid beyond well and is dare to say over paid. His agent did a helleva job.

Lastly, I think it's more than fair to point out his all pro teammate. Players make players better. To think otherwise is ridiculous. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Von Miller's 2021 (19 games, including playoffs):

82 pressures 
13 sacks
10 hits

Sorry to repeat myself, but Von Miller is ABSOLUTELY still a force. That's what "taking a closer look" reveals.

People only care about sacks lol it’s criminal…an edge rusher could force a qb to throw the ball away every play and single handedly hold their opponent to 0 points and people would say they’re trash cuz they had no sacks 😂

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Snap count was over 700 I think.  He's on the field a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Fair points but Let me respond. I've never sad he's a bad player. I've said he's not the player he used to be. I stand by that statement. Sure I've over exaggerated my points. I'll concede that. Saying he's better than anything we have on the roster isn't saying much. I agree with you there. He's getting paid beyond well and is dare to say over paid. His agent did a helleva job.

Lastly, I think it's more than fair to point out his all pro teammate. Players make players better. To think otherwise is ridiculous. 

Okay.  I'd like you to show me how he's not the player he used to be, which has always been a very effective DE.

To be more direct: Where has his game suffered over the years that's a concern for you? 

I don't see how 17ish million a year is an overpay.  It's very similar to Chandler Jones, who is by all metrics around as efficient as Miller.  Better yet, show me a player with a similar statline who has gotten paid much less this season. I don't think you're going to find it because this is a very fair market value. 

"Players make players better".  Well I'll say that I hope that's true, because of one of the benefits of having a superstar leader like Miller is that your young DE core gets to learn from one of the best ever.

Edited by Bruffalo
Trying to be more direct

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not much better you can get than 2nd in the league in hurries haha 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 13 Second Prevent Defense said:

What does that mean?

It means that this guy retires a Bill.  Julius Peppers played until he was 38, so if Miller stays good, and by some miracle is still playing well into his 4th and 5th year, we can still add void years to make those horrid cap hits in those years lower, then pay the price when he's spent and retires.  That's a long sentence.  Anyways is we ride him into the dirt.  He retires a Bill.  Be kinda cool to see him open the new stadium.  🤪

Edited by daz28

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.