Jordan Davis is unreal

Buffalo_Stampede

14 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

So develop his pass rush moves. He probably won't make it to 25.

I think if you’re drafting Davis you’re doing so with the understanding that he’s not going to be getting after the QB very much. That’s not his game and isn’t something that usually develops for guys of his size.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

says he is dropping weight into the 330s and going to sack master mentoring as his pocket pressures are not all that impressive at UGA, so he may be a 2-down-run-plugger who comes out in passing situations which is less than ideal for a first-rounder... and yes Bills d-line rotation could mitigate this..but I could live with passing on him in favor of a WR or CB and getting a DT in round 2, maybe a better overall athlete  from UConn....https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/scouting-reports/travisjones

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was clocked at 20mph in the season........a 4.78 40 is the equivalent of running about 18.75 mph.........that's consistent with his in season clocking.

The big problem with Davis is that he plays very tall.........so he doesn't play with leverage.......skinny track legs on a huge upper body.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think if you’re drafting Davis you’re doing so with the understanding that he’s not going to be getting after the QB very much. That’s not his game and isn’t something that usually develops for guys of his size.

All you need him to do is push the pocket. He’ll get a couple just because the QB is pressured from the outside. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I wish people would understand that this is not a bill’s type defensive tackle at least not someone that they would take high in a draft if you can’t rush the passer the bills are not interested

I would think that's exactly the type of player they'd be interested in. We seem to have plenty of them as it is.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was clocked at 20mph in the season........a 4.78 40 is the equivalent of running about 18.75 mph.........that's consistent with his in season clocking.

The big problem with Davis is that he plays very tall.........so he doesn't play with leverage.......skinny track legs on a huge upper body.

Agree, I don’t see the next Ted Washington when I look at him.  Huge and pretty incredible athlete for that size.  Not much of a pass rusher, but at 6’6” maybe could disrupt pass lanes.  I don’t think he would be the best choice at 25

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Agree, I don’t see the next Ted Washington when I look at him.  Huge and pretty incredible athlete for that size.  Not much of a pass rusher, but at 6’6” maybe could disrupt pass lanes.  I don’t think he would be the best choice at 25

Yeah Ted Washington was a different body type........his thighs were like tree trunks and he had 35" long arms and 11" hands so he could get very low and get under the pads of OL and man handle them despite being a relatively tall 6'4".

I actually think Jordan Davis could turn into a really good pass rusher..........but will always struggle to anchor and dominate against the run if he can't find it in him to get low and play with leverage.

In the other Davis thread I posted a link to Jordan Phillips highlights from college..........the two players tape looks remarkably similar...........in college Phillips could play tall and dominate just like Davis did...........and Phillips was characterized as a late first round 3-4 NT prospect..........but in the NFL he has really just developed into an oversized gap shooting 3 tech because he can't get low.   When the Bills tried to use him at 1 tech guards would get into his chest and drive him out of the play.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I actually like DeVonte Wyatt.  He beat Jordan's time and he can get after the QB.

Of the two, Wyatt is more of a Bills type DTackle. That said, I think a lot of people are going to regret not taking Davis. I don’t think the Bills will take him if he is there. Not sure the Bills take Wyatt either, for some reason Beane doesn’t like SEC players high in the draft. White was picked before his tenure. 

Before today I was not that high on him and really afraid he would eat himself out of the league. However, since he's gotten down to 330 and ran like he did today, I'm more open to the idea of him at 25. He's obviously an increible athlete and what he did at Georgia at 360 lbs may not be indicitive of what he can do in the NFL at 325-330. I think it will come down to the interviews and whether the Bills thinks they can keep his weight under control and keep him motivated, so he doesn't turn into another Marcell Dareus. If he makes it to 25, I'll trust Beane to make the right decision, but I'm still leaning towards a CB.

21 minutes ago, Flipnmi said:

Before today I was not that high on him and really afraid he would eat himself out of the league. However, since he's gotten down to 330 and ran like he did today, I'm more open to the idea of him at 25. He's obviously an increible athlete and what he did at Georgia at 360 lbs may not be indicitive of what he can do in the NFL at 325-330. I think it will come down to the interviews and whether the Bills thinks they can keep his weight under control and keep him motivated, so he doesn't turn into another Marcell Dareus. If he makes it to 25, I'll trust Beane to make the right decision, but I'm still leaning towards a CB.

He had to drop weight to get to 341 for the combine. Maybe he goes home to binge eat when he gets back from the combine. No way he will get to 325 and sustain it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.