Colts to either trade or cut Carson Wentz

BuffaloBills1998

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Whenever an article starts off with ‘report’ and also includes ‘likely’ then we are talking about speculation, not fact. 

Click bate thread title. 

Often that's the case. However Mortensen felt comfortable putting his name on this report and a date to boot. Because of that this doesn't sound like wild speculation to me. "Wentz will probably be traded or released by March 18, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN."

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No but I am telling you it wasn't hard to be right about Wentz. He clearly stinks. 

It seems that he clear stinks now but he was taken 2nd overall, started all 16 games and played well as a rookie, and was 2nd team All Pro in his second season. His fall has been a bit mystifying. 

34 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In what way? Stafford ranks 4th all time in passing yards per game with 274.7

He has been a good player in the league for a long time.

The thing about Stafford though is that it seems there are a couple times every game that he makes some head scratching plays. He's talented for sure but probably not an elite decision maker.

42 minutes ago, FireChans said:

... the Cowboys had the 7th best defense in points allowed and first in creating turnovers. Have you heard of Trevon Diggs or Micah Parsons?

Not to mention DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory. Their linebacking corps is also really good.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Yeah Wentz had that one good year, and flashes elsewhere. Comparing him to Stafford is comparing Tannehill to Josh.

On-topic, is Gardner Minshew a fit?  Certainly limited physically, but can manage a game, isn't prone to blunders that end your season.  Obviously, not an ideal QB, may not be their SB QB, but with that nucleus of a team, Minshew may get them to 11 wins.

I love Minshew, he might get that shot, but I’d be pretty surprised.  I think they would be more likely to look at Mariota or Winston.  There may be some others who end up moving around too. I would have to think they will look to a vet that can manage the game with a little upside.  They could have gone places this year with a decent QB.  I’d be listening to all options, but I think Mariota makes a lot of sense.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

It seems that he clear stinks now but he was taken 2nd overall, started all 16 games and played well as a rookie, and was 2nd team All Pro in his second season. His fall has been a bit mystifying. 

Has it? I'll admit I wasn't following too closely, but didn't he get hurt then was just never the same after that?

52 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

See the reason I believe he might be on the hot seat is because he vouched for Wentz. He’s really the only reason he got traded to Indy. Especially after all the negative press that was on him. They took on that hefty contract on top of giving up a pick. Plus getting blown out by Jacksonville  doesn’t help him much

Jacksonville was weird.  It blew a number of teams out which they "shouldn't".

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Often that's the case. However Mortensen felt comfortable putting his name on this report and a date to boot. Because of that this doesn't sound like wild speculation to me. "Wentz will probably be traded or released by March 18, according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN."

The thing about Stafford though is that it seems there are a couple times every game that he makes some head scratching plays. He's talented for sure but probably not an elite decision maker.

Not to mention DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory. Their linebacking corps is also really good.

Agreed but this is a discussion about Wentz not Stafford. Or is someone trying to compare Wentz to Stafford? No comparison, IMO. Wentz sucks, Stafford is a good QB and has been for a long time.

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I love Minshew, he might get that shot, but I’d be pretty surprised.  I think they would be more likely to look at Mariota or Winston.  There may be some others who end up moving around too. I would have to think they will look to a vet that can manage the game with a little upside.  They could have gone places this year with a decent QB.  I’d be listening to all options, but I think Mariota makes a lot of sense.

Just not a lot of good options out there for the price tag 

21 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Disagree.  They need to take their lumps this year and clean up mess before throwing more resources which will not be sufficient. 

The problem is when you are what 4 years into a regime, missed the playoffs in a heartbreaking way this year it is tough to say "oh and we are going to be mediocre this coming year." Which is what they'd be. They are too talented and well coached to be bad enough to be in prime QB range next spring. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

Any thoughts on how that one year was so great, but not any more? It was in there once. 

Hard to fathom. It would be easy to say the injury but it is his inability to read the field and make decisions as much as anything that has doomed him. Yes the technical fundamentals have fallen to bits but he still has a live arm and he can still move. It just looks like a total mental collapse to me.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

That’s not true, there were other options but he chose Buffalo because of seeing Allen’s development. Mitch saw Buffalo as a way to restart his career.

He had option(s) to start on other teams? Because I recall Beane saying the market wasn’t what Mitch thought it would be, so he came to Buffalo for a reset year. If he had other options to start I highly doubt he would’ve taken such a paltry salary to be a backup for a year, unless you’ve heard something to the contrary…

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Process said:

Has to be one of the worst trades ever. 

Trade a first round pick for a QB with an absurd contract, miss the playoffs, cut him after 1 year. 

What were they thinking?

Well, at least now they are moving on. I think a lot of GMs would just keep the QB rather than admitting they made a big mistake...

Maybe with this FA and draft the Bills can surpass the colts overall talent. I mean, the QB makes such a huge deal but Super Bowl winners tend to have pretty good teams independent of the QB position. Getting Tre White back will be huge as well.... We perhaps have the best offense in the league if we can keep it together and get some good OL depth., we just need to get that defense to kick it up a notch.... But man, did we look bad the last time we played the colts and we escaped by a hair the time before...

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I know it's easy to say that, but are you telling me you've been right about about every QB who's about change teams?   Frankly, I'm still not sold on Stafford.  

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

In what way? Stafford ranks 4th all time in passing yards per game with 274.7

He has been a good player in the league for a long time.

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Agreed but this is a discussion about Wentz not Stafford. Or is someone trying to compare Wentz to Stafford? No comparison, IMO. Wentz sucks, Stafford is a good QB and has been for a long time.

?

5 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Frank Reich is as steadfast and loyal a person as can be. He was a staunch and vocal supporter of Wentz... his one true believer.

To me this borders on shocking.

Ultimatum... Wentz goes or Reich goes is my guess. Frank HAS to know Wentz will get him fired if he plays.

5 hours ago, 947 said:

I just pray they don't end up with Rodgers. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with their cap situation, but a scary thought.

If/when Trubisky leaves, I think Wentz could be a decent option as Josh's backup. I'd much rather have him than Dalton or Tyrod...

yeah, makes sense.  as a cut pickup only, don't trade for him, of course

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Contingent upon whether Dorsey does well or not, I would take Reich in a heartbeat when he gets fired next year.

As a head coach? NO NO NO NO NO.... NO.

His decision making is not good... he should get the same heat as McCarthy gets because he makes a lot of questionable decisions.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yeah Wentz had that one good year, and flashes elsewhere. Comparing him to Stafford is comparing Tannehill to Josh.

On-topic, is Gardner Minshew a fit?  Certainly limited physically, but can manage a game, isn't prone to blunders that end your season.  Obviously, not an ideal QB, may not be their SB QB, but with that nucleus of a team, Minshew may get them to 11 wins.

The Jags started Minshew for a whole year to ensure they got the number one pick

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is awful. The numbers from this year flatter him. Reich couldn't fix him he could just cover him his terrible play better than Pederson. But Wentz is not a culture guy, not a leader (remember the Philly players preferred Foles) and just a bad Quarterback. 

I have always felt this, but shouldn’t Reich have well known this ? 

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The Jags started Minshew for a whole year to ensure they got the number one pick

They got the best QB prospect in the draft and still got the #1 pick. Lol I don’t think they have to try to lose.

Edited by FireChans

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They got the best QB prospect in the draft and still got the #1 pick. Lol I don’t think they have to try to lose.

Following the Jimmy Johnson method.  Now all they need is a Herschel Walker type...

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, djp14150 said:

This doesn’t make sense.

they traded a mid first for him.

Thry don’t have a QB to replace him with

they dont have a pick to try and get his replacement. You 

Report: Colts likely to trade or release Carson Wentz.

"The reason March 18 is significant is that Wentz’s contract calls for his full $22 million base salary to be guaranteed, and for him to receive a $6.29 million roster bonus, if he’s still on the roster on March 18. If Wentz is released before then, the Colts are still on the hook for $15 million of his base salary, but they’d be off the hook for the other $13.29 million."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-colts-likely-trade-release-183716743.html

There is a long list of FA QBs this off season

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

The Bills currently have one on their roster who is better than Wentz. 

They won't find a trade partner for that bum. 

The Titans could also be looking for a new QB too. 

OH, BTW. "The Colts gave up their first-round pick in this year’s draft and a third-round pick last year for Wentz. Obviously they wouldn’t have done that if they had thought Wentz would be one-and-done, but given his disastrous play at the end of the season as the Colts were knocked out of playoff contention, it’s unsurprising that the team has apparently decided to move on."

Edited by Nihilarian

15 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/ I do wonder if this means Frank is on the hot seat?? He was the main reason Wentz was sent to Indy

If the word likely is in the title of the article you're linking why not include it in your thread title?

45 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Get on the blower to Luck!

image.png.dcf482ea80688fc6bdf07e09939f9733.png

From Peter King in today's FMIA:

"Rust, and football news, never sleeps. On my radar during Super Bowl week:

Carson Wentz. My first reaction when I heard Chris Mortensen’s report that the Colts would try to trade Wentz in the next month: There’s something bubbling beneath the surface here. Wentz failed down the stretch for Indianapolis, but the play itself (middling .624 accuracy rate, 27 TDs, seven picks, 94.7 rating) wasn’t bad enough for the Colts and coach/mentor Frank Reich to give up on a player they spent first- and third-round picks to acquire.

A couple of things to consider here. Late in his Eagles’ tenure, Wentz did some immature things—got ticked off about the team drafting Jalen Hurts in the second round in 2020, reportedly stopped talking to coach Doug Pederson for a period. He got benched for poor play down the stretch of the season, leading to his trade to Indy. Reich loved him in Philadelphia. My guess is something happened here, something other than a 9-8 record, that led to this moment. Attitude, an incident, work ethic, loss of trust. Something. I don’t know what."

1 minute ago, Sierra Foothills said:

From Peter King in today's FMIA:

"Rust, and football news, never sleeps. On my radar during Super Bowl week:

Carson Wentz. My first reaction when I heard Chris Mortensen’s report that the Colts would try to trade Wentz in the next month: There’s something bubbling beneath the surface here. Wentz failed down the stretch for Indianapolis, but the play itself (middling .624 accuracy rate, 27 TDs, seven picks, 94.7 rating) wasn’t bad enough for the Colts and coach/mentor Frank Reich to give up on a player they spent first- and third-round picks to acquire.

A couple of things to consider here. Late in his Eagles’ tenure, Wentz did some immature things—got ticked off about the team drafting Jalen Hurts in the second round in 2020, reportedly stopped talking to coach Doug Pederson for a period. He got benched for poor play down the stretch of the season, leading to his trade to Indy. Reich loved him in Philadelphia. My guess is something happened here, something other than a 9-8 record, that led to this moment. Attitude, an incident, work ethic, loss of trust. Something. I don’t know what."

That’s the only thing that makes sense. Wentz isn’t great, but he’s probably a better option that some of the other guys available right now. (Mineshew? Really?)

Wentz once again pissed off the wrong people. He’s got his money, he won’t go be a backup somewhere. I think he’s done 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Frank saw the writing on the wall with him and realizes that it's time to move on especially given the talent he has if he had that guy at the QB position that could give him better production his team could go further who knows maybe Mitch will go there .

But seeing what type of production Wentz gave him with a really stout O line i'd say Frank is doing what needs to be done & Wentz may find that the rest of his career may be as a back up holding a clip board & that his 1 really good year in Philly was just that 1 really good year in his career that made him a very rich back up QB  ...

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Wentz once again pissed off the wrong people. He’s got his money, he won’t go be a backup somewhere. I think he’s done 

He'd be perfect for the next Taco Bell ad...

They show him throwing a 'pick six', he immediately hears the sound of the iconic bell, removes his helmet, and saunters off to the border to get his fix.

image.png.378c9a9267dd26be74d5c89ea4bf4f93.png

5 hours ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Get on the blower to Luck!

Based on how he looked at the college football championship there's a better chance of getting Peyton Manning to come back and play for the Colts than Luck.

Dude is definitely done with football and looks like he may have health issues to boot.

6 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

He'd be perfect for the next Taco Bell ad...

They show him throwing a 'pick six', he immediately hears the sound of the iconic bell, removes his helmet, and saunters off to the border to get his fix.

image.png.378c9a9267dd26be74d5c89ea4bf4f93.png

Dearest Mother,

A new retiree from General Grant's army has appeared in town, eating some concoction from Santa Anna's kitchen.  His exploits are trumpeted by some, but overall his victories were few.          
           Your son,

Cap't. Andrew Luck

U.S. Cavalry (ret.)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.