Colts to either trade or cut Carson Wentz

BuffaloBills1998

I just pray they don't end up with Rodgers. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with their cap situation, but a scary thought.

If/when Trubisky leaves, I think Wentz could be a decent option as Josh's backup. I'd much rather have him than Dalton or Tyrod...

• Vomit 1

Not surprising they want to get rid of him.  What is surprising is the money.  Wonder how bad it is over the next few years money wise to get rid of him.

Leaves them with Sam Ehlinger?  Their first pick this draft is number 47 because of the first they gave up for Wentz.  Not sure what their plans are.

• Like (+1) 1

The Colts had done a good job of building a talented roster thru the draft and FA.........and being super efficient with their cap......they didn't dump a ton of cap money on dud UFA's like Beane did too often......the QB situation has totally undermined them.    Hopefully their struggles continue.:beer:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is awful. The numbers from this year flatter him. Reich couldn't fix him he could just cover him his terrible play better than Pederson. But Wentz is not a culture guy, not a leader (remember the Philly players preferred Foles) and just a bad Quarterback. 

It just demonstrates how difficult the QB decisions are.  Colts go all in on Wentz, Rams go all in on Stafford.  One will be looking for a job in  a few weeks, the other is playing in the Super Bowl today.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, 947 said:

I just pray they don't end up with Rodgers. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with their cap situation, but a scary thought.

If/when Trubisky leaves, I think Wentz could be a decent option as Josh's backup. I'd much rather have him than Dalton or Tyrod...

I definitely like Wentz as a backup, but I doubt he'd take it as a long-term gig.  And I don't care about Rodgers.   He'll be done soon, if not already. 

• Dislike 1

Frank Reich is not the GM so he will not make the decision but I am sure he had input into him being let go just as he had input to him being traded for.

This issue is "Due to Wentz's attitude or abilities?"  With a decent QB Whisperer is he salvageable even or does he needs to be 2nd or 3rd QB for a while learning?

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It just demonstrates how difficult the QB decisions are.  Colts go all in on Wentz, Rams go all in on Stafford.  One will be looking for a job in  a few weeks, the other is playing in the Super Bowl today.  

The two are not comparable talent wise though. Stafford has always been good. Wentz since his ACL has been bad but for a 6 game run at the end of 2019. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/ I do wonder if this means Frank is on the hot seat?? He was the main reason Wentz was sent to Indy

This was a bad choice by the Colts at the time it was made. Best to cut ties sooner rather than later. 

Colts have a good roster and HC held back by the QB position. I am curious which cast off QB will be used as a bridge by Reich

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/ I do wonder if this means Frank is on the hot seat?? He was the main reason Wentz was sent to Indy

I don’t think Reich is on the hot seat but it’s pretty obvious that Wentz at QB wasn’t going to work.  GM Chris Ballard seemed to sum it up pretty well at the end of the season he basically they didn’t have many options at QB so trading for Wentz was worth a shot.  

10 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Not surprising they want to get rid of him.  What is surprising is the money.  Wonder how bad it is over the next few years money wise to get rid of him.

Leaves them with Sam Ehlinger?  Their first pick this draft is number 47 because of the first they gave up for Wentz.  Not sure what their plans are.

It's not bad.  $15M Dead Cap Hit to cut him this March.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

The two are not comparable talent wise though. Stafford has always been good. Wentz since his ACL has been bad but for a 6 game run at the end of 2019. 

Yeah Wentz had that one good year, and flashes elsewhere. Comparing him to Stafford is comparing Tannehill to Josh.

On-topic, is Gardner Minshew a fit?  Certainly limited physically, but can manage a game, isn't prone to blunders that end your season.  Obviously, not an ideal QB, may not be their SB QB, but with that nucleus of a team, Minshew may get them to 11 wins.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.