Colts to either trade or cut Carson Wentz

BuffaloBills1998

13 minutes ago, 947 said:

I just pray they don't end up with Rodgers. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with their cap situation, but a scary thought.

If/when Trubisky leaves, I think Wentz could be a decent option as Josh's backup. I'd much rather have him than Dalton or Tyrod...

I doubt Tyrod would ever set foot back in buffalo and highly doubt McD and Beane would ever entertain the idea of bringing him back. Now Like you I don’t want Andy but unfortunately he’s a realistic possibility especially if Mitch does leave

1 minute ago, davefan66 said:

Was wondering how much it would cost next year 2023.  

Looks like the Colts have an out next year and zero cap hit per sportrac.  Makes it interesting how much they don’t want him.  

Sportrac link

I was thinking next season (this year).  Yes it's 0 if they keep him one more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Yeah Wentz had that one good year, and flashes elsewhere. Comparing him to Stafford is comparing Tannehill to Josh.

On-topic, is Gardner Minshew a fit?  Certainly limited physically, but can manage a game, isn't prone to blunders that end your season.  Obviously, not an ideal QB, may not be their SB QB, but with that nucleus of a team, Minshew may get them to 11 wins.

So I think the ideal fit is Garoppolo but they just don't have any more capital to trade away for Quarterbacks. So they probably are looking at a free agent like a Minshew or a Trubisky or a Bridgewater. They are in a really tough spot. They are the most QB purgatory team in the entire league, because they have a good coach, a good GM who drafts well and a good roster. They are not going to be drafting in the top 5 any time soon. It goes back to poor strategic decisions made in 2020 IMO. Frank wanted Rivers and the owner and GM gave him Rivers. They should have said "no" we have the 13th pick in the draft, let's see what we need to give to the Lions for #3 where they'd have had their pick of Tua (hasn't worked out so far) or Herbert (has). Instead they said "we can win this year with Phil" gave the 13th pick to the 49ers for DeForest Buckner, made the playoffs, Phil retires and then there they sit with no Quarterback and no shot to get up from where they were to get one in a decent class. Then they end up panicking and overpaying for Wentz. Before the Wentz decisions none of the other were bad decisions in isolation. But they were all good tactical decisions that added up made for a bad strategy. Knowing the difference between the two is critical. 

• Agree 1

If they want a QB, they could do a lot worse than Trubisky. He would have a genuine chance to be the starter, and could be relatively cheap.

You would think that Reich would be a good guy to continue his career with, and it gives them a better shot. With Taylor at RB, they don't need a world beating QB, they just need a competent one.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It just demonstrates how difficult the QB decisions are.  Colts go all in on Wentz, Rams go all in on Stafford.  One will be looking for a job in  a few weeks, the other is playing in the Super Bowl today.  

It didn’t take a genius to figure out that Wentz sucks.  That was a horrific trade by Indy.  Wentz was neck and neck with Cam for worst starting QB in the league in 2020.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, 947 said:

I just pray they don't end up with Rodgers. I'm not sure if that's even a possibility with their cap situation, but a scary thought.

If/when Trubisky leaves, I think Wentz could be a decent option as Josh's backup. I'd much rather have him than Dalton or Tyrod...

I don't want Carson Wentz anywhere near the Bills. You can have some players with less than good attitudes, but your backup QB cannot be one of them. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I think the ideal fit is Garoppolo but they just don't have any more capital to trade away for Quarterbacks. So they probably are looking at a free agent like a Minshew or a Trubisky or a Bridgewater. They are in a really tough spot. They are the most QB purgatory team in the entire league, because they have a good coach, a good GM who drafts well and a good roster. They are not going to be drafting in the top 5 any time soon. It goes back to poor strategic decisions made in 2020 IMO. Frank wanted Rivers and the owner and GM gave him Rivers. They should have said "no" we have the 13th pick in the draft, let's see what we need to give to the Lions for #3 where they'd have had their pick of Tua (hasn't worked out so far) or Herbert (has). Instead they said "we can win this year with Phil" gave the 13th pick to the 49ers for DeForest Buckner, made the playoffs, Phil retires and then there they sit with no Quarterback and no shot to get up from where they were to get one in a decent class. Then they end up panicking and overpaying for Wentz. Before the Wentz decisions none of the other were bad decisions in isolation. But they were all good tactical decisions that added up made for a bad strategy. Knowing the difference between the two is critical. 

Jimmy G isn’t great.  Wonder if Reich can push him over the top? Shanny couldn’t.

Would LOVE to see Minshew get a steadying job!  Remember, he doesn’t like “number two”!

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/ I do wonder if this means Frank is on the hot seat?? He was the main reason Wentz was sent to Indy

I still remember when they drafted Allen and said Allen had a chance to be the next Carson Wentz, LMAO 

Just now, davefan66 said:

Jimmy G isn’t great.  Wonder if Reich can push him over the top? Shanny couldn’t.

Would LOVE to see Minshew get a steadying job!  Remember, he doesn’t like “number two”!

I agree Jimmy G is not great. He isn't winning the Colts a Superbowl. But I think he is the best option on the market. The Colts are just trying to find a guy to get them back to 11 or 12 wins and in the dance next year at this stage. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Jimmy G is not great. He isn't winning the Colts a Superbowl. But I think he is the best option on the market. The Colts are just trying to find a guy to get them back to 11 or 12 wins and in the dance next year at this stage. 

Better than Wentz for sure.  Colts could have been a serious challenger in post season if they had a good QB.

Think Jimmy G would make them a playoff contender.  He just needs to get rid of the yips.  Stupid plays at the wrong time.  Trubinsky may be a better choice for them?  Prefe hi, to stay here as our QB2.

• Like (+1) 1

It is pretty shocking the Colts would trade a first round pick for a struggling QB who was benched on his previous team. Regardless of Reich’s relationship with him, why not sign Trubisky to a one year prove it deal and keep your first rounder? Trubisky said he came to Buffalo due to a lack of opportunity as a starter elsewhere. That was a shockingly bad move by Colts GM. Almost as shocking as the Bills getting pwned in that game.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/13/report-colts-likely-to-trade-or-release-carson-wentz/ I do wonder if this means Frank is on the hot seat?? He was the main reason Wentz was sent to Indy

Whenever an article starts off with ‘report’ and also includes ‘likely’ then we are talking about speculation, not fact. 

Click bate thread title. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.