Ok time to get rid of Mongo

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

Those who think the pizza is bad in WNY should try the "pizza" in NC.  You will then realize how good the stuff in WNY really is!

Yeah, I’m fine if Buffalo pizza isn’t someone’s thing, but I wish people would tell where they're finding better pizza. I’m just curious. I’m not the guy who thinks, “‘nothing beats Buffalo”, but if you’re not giving a preference, maybe pizza just isn’t your thing. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

I went to school with the Pontillos.  Never really cared for the pizza.

Every location is very different.  There is no consistency between them.  Bushnell's Basin is the best Pontillos I have had.  Its good but nothing special.  Their slices during the lunch hours are significantly better.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I was down in the Wilmington, NC, area for a number of years and this little NY style pizza place opened (can't remember the name) and the same thing happened. They had come down from Rochester, the pizza was really good, and I would stop by for a slice at luch a couple of times a week. Apparently the people in the area just preferred s****y pizza as it didn't do well enough to remain open.

In Wilmington there was a deli across from UNCW campus - South College Deli - that was opened by a couple from Buffalo and had *great* food including authentic beef on weck.  When my son was going to UNCW he went there all the time - and we always stopped there when visiting him or on our way down the Carolina Beach.

After 21 years they had to close because of the pandemic.  Truly sad

http://www.wilmingtonbiz.com/restaurants/2020/06/17/south_college_sandwich_and_deli_announces_permanent_closure/20515

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If it was on the dollar menu....but it's not.

2 for $3 double cheeseburgers is the best thing in fast food.  I never order combos anymore.  

It's been a long time since I lived in the cold...no one told me crocs were a bad idea in snow.

Stopped eating Mcdonalds around 15 years ago or so.  But man everyone once and awhile a Quarterpounder with Cheese sounds amazing.

On the combo situation.  My daughter wanted an impossible burger from Burger King after a Field Hockey game in the fall, got the combo, $13 dollars!   No way no how is one meal at BK worth $13 dollars.  Never again.

• Agree 1

You folks truly don't know how good you have it. Maybe not all of the pizza is awesome, but I live in a metropolitan area of 3+ million people in Denver and there is truly, absolutely nothing. I would take an oily Buffalo 6.5 over anything that I can get out here.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've lived in Buffalo, SF, DC, LA, spent plenty of time in NYC, and now live in San Diego, and the pizza in Buffalo, on the whole, is as good or better than any I've had elsewhere.  You can find a good slice in pretty much any major city - well, outside of DC which can't seem to get anything right - but it's much easier to find a good slice in Buffalo, imo.

Oh, and thanks to Hapless for ruining my appetite for the day with his Pizza Hut story.  I needed to drop a couple of pounds anyway.  

Edited by TheBrownBear

21 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

People used to rave about bocce club but I was never impressed. Location near Hopkins and maple. 

La Nova pizza and brbq wings are an outstanding combo. 

A couple weeks ago I was looking to get pizza and looked at a bunch of places. Saw LA Nova had a NY Style pizza. I haven't had LA Nova in years. It was very good. Comes in a huge box. I'de recommend it to anyone looking for NY style thin crust.

Guys, there are like 600 pizza places in Buffalo.  I think, in terms of per capita, we have the highest number.  If the guys can't find a pizza place he likes, he obviously ain't looking hard enough.  Pro tip:  Gino's has amazing thin crust pizza.

24 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Stopped eating Mcdonalds around 15 years ago or so.  But man everyone once and awhile a Quarterpounder with Cheese sounds amazing.

On the combo situation.  My daughter wanted an impossible burger from Burger King after a Field Hockey game in the fall, got the combo, $13 dollars!   No way no how is one meal at BK worth $13 dollars.  Never again.

Agree, I Iike Burger King, but it’s not reasonable compared to McDonald’s. If I don’t want to sit, I can do take out to get a decent entree from a local restaurant for the cost of BK. When I can get an entire pasta dish, our legitimate cheeseburger for the same price, why am I going with fast food? 

Edited by SirAndrew

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t make the rules. This is the last straw, he’s not good enough to overcome this. 

GIF by filmeditor

I could care less about his pizza

takes.  I care more about his play on the field which is dreadful.  Get rid of Mungo

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Omg, you wouldn’t know good pizza if it but you in the @$$ if you think Rochester had great pizza.  Buffalo’s pizza is equally as bad, but WNY sucks for Pizza.  The wings, second to none.   Raleigh, meh it’s all wanna be NYC pizza, but at least they are trying.  The (reallllllly sad here) true statement made by a friend of mine, Wegmans has one of the best pizzas in Rochester.   I suppose you think Mark’s is good? 🤮🤢🤮. If you say Cam’s or if you are a West sider and get those 1/4 pie slices out by the lake, I won’t disregard your opinion on all things food related, I’ll just understand you have a limited POV.  Where you WNYers ever got the idea your huge slices of flavorless bread with a mediocre crunch, sauce and cheese could even qualify for pizza is beyond me.  I can do better with French bread, jar sauce and pre grated mozzarella.   Everyone that lives in NY should be required to go to Brooklyn or find a place owned by somebody from Brooklyn and get an understanding of why NY pizza is famous.  Calling the crap in WNY, NY style pizza is as accurate as calling the Jets and Giants, NY football teams.

rant off. 

Na dude carbones owns you. I went to koronets pizza. It was ok. Nothing special.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It's been much longer for me since I left the Buffalo area. I was on a quest to find a decent pizza and decent wings in the Raleigh area for a awhile and finally gave up. I am resigned to average at best pizza and when I want wings I make my own. They finally opened a Wegmans near me and, I confess, I have picked up some wings there in a pinch...

I was down in the Wilmington, NC, area for a number of years and this little NY style pizza place opened (can't remember the name) and the same thing happened. They had come down from Rochester, the pizza was really good, and I would stop by for a slice at luch a couple of times a week. Apparently the people in the area just preferred s****y pizza as it didn't do well enough to remain open.

My wife and I saw a Tony's Pizza over off Glenwood Ave while we were trying to find another place. Is that the one you are talking about? 

I think that was Moonlight Pizza on Morgan?

Randy's makes decent NY city style pizza but I prefer Western New York myself personally

Edited by Sharky7337

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't know, Muppy.

The West Coast cities from San Diego to Seattle are full of mom & pop ethnic restaurants - some of which are really, really good.  It's not just the fine-dining stuff though San Francisco and LA would both run circles around Buffalo in that category.  And the diversity of good food in that part of the world is amazing: from Asian to European.  

Per capita basis?   That's an interesting way of looking at it and I've never given that a lot of thought. 

I'm certainly NOT saying that Buffalo doesn't have any good food.   But spend some time eating your way through San Francisco and see if there's any comparison.  The Mexican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Cambodian, Thai, Filipino, Korean, Italian, French, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and so on is better in San Francisco area.  And if you want world-class chefs, the Napa Valley alone has more of those than all of WNY combined.  

Though the Polish food in Buffalo is better of course.  The pizza (on average) and the wings (on average) are better too.   And you can't find a better Beef-on-Weck any place else!

yeah Im not quibbling at all I think WNY food makes me homesick thats enough for me 🙂 haha I live in a food mecca and havent EVEN scratched the surface of all there is. I have my fav's of course but my pockets arent so deep I can partake all that often. 

m

23 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I've lived in Buffalo, SF, DC, LA, spent plenty of time in NYC, and now live in San Diego, and the pizza in Buffalo, on the whole, is as good or better than any I've had elsewhere.  You can find a good slice in pretty much any major city - well, outside of DC which can't seem to get anything right - but it's much easier to find a good slice in Buffalo, imo.

Oh, and thanks to Hapless for ruining my appetite for the day with his Pizza Hut story.  I needed to drop a couple of pounds anyway.  

Filippis in scripps ranch does Not suck. Its a thick doughy crust not  exactly BFLO style (WNY is better I think its the WNY water) but I like it. Location matters though. Not all Fillippis are the same it has a few locations now and Ive been told quality suffers elsewhere.

Edited by muppy

9 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I could care less about his pizza

takes.  I care more about his play on the field which is dreadful.  Get rid of Mungo

I’m saying his pizza takes simply can’t be overcome because of his play. Now If JA didn’t like the pizza in Buffalo, I would open a pizza place that makes him the exact pizza he wants. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m saying his pizza takes simply can’t be overcome because of his play. Now If JA didn’t like the pizza in Buffalo, I would open a pizza place that makes him the exact pizza he wants. 

lol oh my that's funny "JFA" Pizza. :-))

It's completely disingenuous to say a given food in an ENTITE CITY sucks, especially when it's such a common food as pizza.  You could go to a hundred different places for a basic pepperoni pizza and get a hundred different experiences.  Even chain places often differ in preparation and attention detail to the point they are completely different.  He could have been to like 3 places that merely had pizza on the menu as a formality and thus had disappointing experiences, not knowing the unassuming bar or family restaurant two doors down serves pizza that would blow him away.  Could just as easily have had the opposite experience and think Buffalo has great pizza.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

It's been much longer for me since I left the Buffalo area. I was on a quest to find a decent pizza and decent wings in the Raleigh area for a awhile and finally gave up. I am resigned to average at best pizza and when I want wings I make my own. They finally opened a Wegmans near me and, I confess, I have picked up some wings there in a pinch...

My wife and I saw a Tony's Pizza over off Glenwood Ave while we were trying to find another place. Is that the one you are talking about? 

I think that was Moonlight Pizza on Morgan?

yes Tonys off glenwood.  No real good wings places Buffalo brothers aren't bad their hot wings I would call MILD at best

• Like (+1) 1

There was a little Mom and Pop takeout pizzeria in South Cheektowaga on William St called "Bon-Eds".

Hands down the best I ever had.  Went out of business 25 years or so ago and everyone wishes the recipe was passed down

to someone else.

Truly a lost treasure.

3 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Can someone explain Buffalo pizza to me? What makes it different from other pizza?  

I see lots of pictures where the pepperoni is on top and all crisped up, is that the signature? 

I'd say we're somewhere between NYC and Chicago style Pizza. The real margherita pepperoni's that curl up are definitely a Buffalo signature. Buffalo is also known for the original red or sweet sauce base and typically has/had a small crust. Typically they'd bring the toppings out as far as they could, unlike a NYC pizza  with a giant crust wheel around the outside of their cardboard.

Bocce is king, but I think Picasso's is one of or a spin off of one of the original buffalo pizza's. Again, no shortage of good pies in Buffalo imho.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Can someone explain Buffalo pizza to me? What makes it different from other pizza?  

I see lots of pictures where the pepperoni is on top and all crisped up, is that the signature? 

That's part of it

Cupped pepperoni

In-between Chicago Deep-dish and NY style flat pizza

La Hacienda in Niagara Falls, NY has really good NY style pizza

19 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

https://buffalonews.com/entertainment/dining/make-your-own-buffalo-style-pizza-via-the-buffalo-new-york-cookbook/article_aadf7cfa-ed16-5d06-8536-2a32110d35a8.amp.html

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree, I Iike Burger King, but it’s not reasonable compared to McDonald’s. If I don’t want to sit, I can do take out to get a decent entree from a local restaurant for the cost of BK. When I can get an entire pasta dish, our legitimate cheeseburger for the same price, why am I going with fast food? 

Exactly.  Why am I going to get what probably isnt made of real food when I can get a nice meal for the same price.   Granted the portion sizes are huge.   Very odd when I can go to a place like Chipotle and get Two Burritos or Two Burrito bowls for the price of one meal at BK.  Granted Chipotle has their own issues.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beach said:

i dont like the pizza in Buffalo either.

Saying you don't like the pizza in Buffalo is like saying you don't like the beer in Germany.

Germany has over 8,000 independent brewers and they make all kinds of diverse beers from dry Pils beers to dark Schwarzbier to wheat beer to everything in between.

There are certain pizzerias in Buffalo I don't like AT ALL, but then there are others that I love.

The pizza is as diverse as the pizzerias, and there are a million of them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Saying you don't like the pizza in Buffalo is like saying you don't like the beer in Germany.

Germany has over 8,000 independent brewers and they make all kinds of diverse beers from dry Pils beers to dark Schwarzbier to wheat beer to everything in between.

There are certain pizzerias in Buffalo I don't like AT ALL, but then there are others that I love.

The pizza is as diverse as the pizzerias, and there are a million of them.

i have not found any pizza in Buffalo that i like.  i agree with Mongo, its our opinion.

In all seriousness I do think Mongo will be a cut if he doesn't want to take a pay cut. I have loved Mongo since 2019 but he declined in 2021 and although he would make for a fantastic backup he is being paid like a starter and this team is in a bit of a cap crunch. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Doc said:

I went to school with the Pontillos.  Never really cared for the pizza.

Agree, lived in Rochester my favorite was Carbones for both pizza and wings.  Always thought that was a local Rochester place, then someone here told me they started in Buffalo.  Was devastated upon learning that!

If I remember right Pontillos used sausage coins rather than chunks.  That alone was reason to boycott.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Just now, babulator said:

I know alot of local people that prefer NYC style pizza swear by Zetti's. 

i like Utica style pizza.  i think alot of people prefer their home town pie.  i will never understand nyc pizza, its just a profit pie.

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Filippis in scripps ranch does Not suck. Its a thick doughy crust not  exactly BFLO style (WNY is better I think its the WNY water) but I like it. Location matters though. Not all Fillippis are the same it has a few locations now and Ive been told quality suffers elsewhere.

I agree, Muppy.  Filippi's is decent pizza.  Another mom and pop place I like is Mom & Dom's in Clairemont Mesa.  They don't skimp on the ingredients - heavy cheese and sauce - reminds me a bit of Buffalo establishments.  And I like the pizza at Buona Forchetta in South Park/Encinitas too.  Not Buffalo style, but a nice light thin crust.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

The slices that I have sampled from numerous NYC Pizza shops, were all lousy. -Just like the 'Dirty Water Dogs', and the Pretzels that are available, on the street.

Garbage, with an undeserved reputation...

I had a sidewalk cart hotdog in Toronto once and puked my guts out the whole day. 😁

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You guys need to get better palates @everyone. 

Sir, you admit to ranch on your wings.

You show no evidence that you'd recognize a better palate if it nipped you on the posterior

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

You folks truly don't know how good you have it. Maybe not all of the pizza is awesome, but I live in a metropolitan area of 3+ million people in Denver and there is truly, absolutely nothing. I would take an oily Buffalo 6.5 over anything that I can get out here.

Truth.

I live in St Louis.  St Louis Style Pizza is beloved by the natives. 

People who have actually eaten decent pizza regard it as undeserving of the term "Pizza".  We ordered one after we moved here, we threw it out, and the dog didn't even try to pull it out of the trash.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Like anything in life, the more effort you put into something the better it is.  In NYC area, pizza is the be-all, end-all.  Nothing really compares.  Just like Buffalo is with wings.  Buffalo pizza is a nice compliment when eating wings, but doesn’t really compare to NYC area pizza.  

I haven't spent a lot of time in NYC but I have eaten pizza there a couple times.   It was good.   Better than Buffalo?   I don't think I'd say that.

And to build on Muppy's point, Buffalo has more pizzerias per capita than NYC.   It's not even close.  And what's cool about Buffalo with all its pizza joints - most of them aren't big chains (as in Orlando).   Chain pizza doesn't do well in Buffalo's hyper competitive pizza environment.  It just isn't good enough.  

image.thumb.png.b8fe58acff92fc0c25fe2dd419f46292.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1