Tonight’s Officiating.....

Special K

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Was fine.  When people were bitching all first half about the officiating, the Chiefs had 6 calls against while the Bills had five.  The only bad call was the Morse holding.  No defending that call but they made up for it with the roughing call the next play - which was a good call as the defender hit Allen with weight coming down on him.   I'm so sick of all the posts criticizing the refs. White PI was obvious. Dawkins hold was tic tac but was also obvious.  Poyer personal foul was obvious.  The roughing on Oliver could have been a no call but they are paid to protect the superstar QBs.  

Half the posters on this board don't even know the rules.  People thought the holding call the Bills declined would have been 1st and 20.  

I agree. The really bad one was the Morse holding call. Such a terrible call. The rest was pretty normal, I thought. The defense came into the game with a plan to hold and play physical, and they did. And they got called for it sometimes. And it worked like a charm.

I'm pretty sure the Oliver RTP call would get called most times. You aren't allowed to hit the QB at the knees or lower. That's what he did. The RTP call on Clark was also by the book because he drove Allen into the ground, which is a rule that was added a couple of years ago (I'm not a fan of this particular rule, personally. You should be able to hit the QB and drive him into the ground as long as you aren't doing anything unnecessarily rough, imo).

I agree that a lot of fans don't seem to know the current rules. They are acting as if we are still operating under the rules of the 1990's. The game is way different today.

8 minutes ago, Chewmylegoff said:

yeah kelce sold it well - but the refs really should have been able to identify that the ball was uncatchable.  

Yeah, he flopped because it was uncatchable, hoping to get the call. If the ball was anywhere near he would have gone for it. But that's going to get called every time.

19 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the refs were bad. Not just in our game but in a few games across the league. It’s not as one sided as is being talked about on here. We got away with a fair amount of holding just like Neing or however you spell their RT’s name. Just like in boxing, don’t leave it up to the refs and we didn’t. The league as a whole is suffering from bad officiating. 

I agree there were some missed offensive holding calls. But that's nothing new. Every single game is going to have those.

• Agree 2

What was the count for number of drives extended or ended due to flags? Collinsworth talking about the RTP being the story, by my count that was the only time the Bills were gifted a first down after a failed 3rd down, or had a KC first down taken off the board.

How many times did the opposite happen in favor of KC? It had to have been 5 or 6 times the bills stopped them on 3rd or 4th and had refs hand them the first down, or the Bills got a first down and refs took it away. Only a couple of those were legit. It is stunning that anyone could attempt to craft a narrative otherwise

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

It was not called evenly most of the game. Our guys tried to get away with the crap the KC Defense was doing and it was called on us. We had to adjust after that, realizing it was a one way street.  

That was my biggest issue; the sheer inconsistency in the calls. 

Just now, arcane said:

What was the count for number of drives extended or ended due to flags? Collinsworth talking about the RTP being the story, by my count that was the only time the Bills were gifted a first down after a failed 3rd down, or had a KC first down taken off the board.

How many times did the opposite happen in favor of KC? It had to have been 5 or 6 times the bills stopped them on 3rd or 4th and had refs hand them the first down, or the Bills got a first down and refs took it away. Only a couple of those were legit. It is stunning that anyone could attempt to craft a narrative otherwise

He can call it the story all he wants. He was a Chiefs fan all night. Every good throw by Allen was "Oh, that little Josh Allen kid is just getting better and just learning football, cute little kid. Remember how he used to suck?" And every catch he was asking if the receiver pushed off. Nothing good the Bills did was because of them, it was because the Chiefs made a mistake.

The Bills were up by multiple scores when that legitimate flag for roughing the passer was thrown. Even if it was a BS call, which is wasn't, to say it was a turning point or the reason for the win is just stupid.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Both roughing the passer calls were a joke.

Oliver did not hit below the knees, but simply grabbed Mahomes ankle.

Josh falling on his own and KC defender could not stop his momentum.

I get the NFL protecting the QBs but they are years now that defenders are now very disciplined when tackling the QB, sometimes the play is very bang-bang, let the DLs play damn it, they must enjoy the game too.

The DPI on Tre was bull####, he was in perfect position and Travis grabbed his arms and fell down.

Moreover the ball was not receivable.

First, this was the SB crew, you know the one we asked for in the AFCCG that let the Chiefs get away with murder.  Most of the calls against us were on point with the rules.  Could they have kept the flags in the pocket a little more, sure, but they were throwing them on KC too.  

They kept both teams in check.  We can cherry pick one little play here or there, like the Clark roughing the passer was suspect.  Allen left into the air and Clark was already into Allen.  We were very lucky that pick came back.  Now the same can be said on other plays we got away with, but in the end, we played a solid game, and the Chiefs looked sloppy.

• Agree 1

My two faves were the roughing the passer calls.

On the KC drive extender Oliver was pushed in the back by the O lineman which caused him to end up going low.

On the Bills gift the booth crew are like WTF?  but agreed on the 4th down crap call called earlier on the Bills

Two other seriously bad calls were the hold on Morse(non existent on the replay) and the PI on Tre vs Kelce(looked like the 250lb+ TE pulled Tre down not the other way around.

BTW at the end of the game on the last KC drive Tyreek Hills   helmet came off....how come he didn't have to come out of the game for a play?

Seriously bad officiating....these guys shouldn't even get to do a playoff game let alone another SB

Edited by JMF2006
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, arcane said:

That’s the galling part. One sided narrative. What are you gonna believe, us, or what you saw with your own two eyes?

The interference calls are the ones that drive me insane.  Diggs gets pulled away from the ball and crickets.  Kelce pulls White with him as he's going down, with a pass that's uncatchable, and they call PI on Tre.

Go back to the old days where DBs could be more physical, and make PI a 10 yard penalty instead of what they have now. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Was fine.  When people were bitching all first half about the officiating, the Chiefs had 6 calls against while the Bills had five.  The only bad call was the Morse holding.  No defending that call but they made up for it with the roughing call the next play - which was a good call as the defender hit Allen with weight coming down on him.   I'm so sick of all the posts criticizing the refs. White PI was obvious. Dawkins hold was tic tac but was also obvious.  Poyer personal foul was obvious.  The roughing on Oliver could have been a no call but they are paid to protect the superstar QBs.  

Half the posters on this board don't even know the rules.  People thought the holding call the Bills declined would have been 1st and 20.  

KC Penalites called in their favor that were much more crucial - KC gained 5 first downs by penalty on offense, and the Bills had 2 first downs taken away that were absolutely huge plays on third down that were called back (the Dawkins hold in 1st Quarter, and the Morse hold in the 4th Quarter).

The Bills got one of those calls and everyone is focusing on how that changed the entire complexion of the game.  It's not even a game in question in the 4th quarter if the score on critical calls isn't so 7-0 in KC's favor up until that point.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly think fans think they were worse than they were. The DPI on Tre was the one horrible call but that is who this crew is. They err on the side of throwing flags. 

EDIT: Ethan reminds me of the Morse hold. That was non-existent as well. Bad call.

Thought both RTP penalties were rule book fouls thar could have been let go. They might have called a PI on Fenton against Diggs, but I didn't mind the no call. Rousseau did get held a few times without flags but we got away with a hold on our first touchdown. 

Like overall KC got a couple more calls than we did but I didn't think it was more than most good teams get at home. 

Somehow the officiating crew turned an offensive holding call on the Chiefs to 1st and 5 rather than 1st and 20 in the red zone.  That was cute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Somehow the officiating crew turned an offensive holding call on the Chiefs to 1st and 5 rather than 1st and 20 in the red zone.  That was cute.

I noticed that too and McD was fuming over it. Think it was a spot foul though where its 10 yards from where the hold took place which was down the field during the run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That hold on Morse was criminal. 

That was simply a phantom call

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

I noticed that too and McD was fuming over it. Think it was a spot foul though where its 10 yards from where the hold took place which was down the field during the run.

Yeah I think McD was upset about where they enforced it from because the hold took place not as far upfield - it should have been something like 1st and 12.  It was beyond the LOS but not 15 yards.

5 hours ago, motorj said:

Honestly, the refs had a huge opportunity to get the game close by allowing the josh pic midfield only down 24-13 but they threw a flag on a questionable roughing the passer where they could've looked the other way

Wasn’t questionable, that’s the rule, can’t drive the qb into the ground, easy call…

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’m a Bills fan and thankful for that roughing the passer makeup call (after the ridiculous holding penalty), but my gosh did the officials over-legislate this game.

What in the heck was that NFL?

Not a make up call, just a legitimate penalty…

• Agree 1

I am so glad that we have finally gotten to the level of quality where we can overcome the officials and their inevitable incompetence. The only way this is going to change is if the coaches get one challenge per game that is for officiating only. The game is just too fast now and trying to call penalties from a bad angle on what "appears" to be a foul is just dumb. Perhaps the officials should just stick with egregious penalties only.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I am so glad that we have finally gotten to the level of quality where we can overcome the officials and their inevitable incompetence. The only way this is going to change is if the coaches get one challenge per game that is for officiating only. The game is just too fast now and trying to call penalties form a bad angle on what appears to be foul is just dumb. Perhaps the officials should just stick with egregious penalties only.

Yeah it was especially frustrating last year as the Bills receivers were getting mauled without calls and then to see the one sided affair continuing, albeit in a different way by the officiating, in terms of calls impacting the momentum of the game in one team's favor far more than the other.  In any event, you are right.  When you play well enough for it not to matter that is a beautiful thing.  There was no question who was the better team last night.

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I thought it was fairly even (not lopsided) but frustrating with the amount of calls in total. 

Even would imply using the same set of standards for both teams. That was far from what took place. Sure the box will say it was fairly even but how many holding and PI calls did the Bills get in comparison to the Chiefs? Especially on 3rd and 4th downs. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Even would imply using the same set of standards for both teams. That was far from what took place. Sure the box will say it was fairly even but how many holding and PI calls did the Bills get in comparison to the Chiefs? Especially on 3rd and 4th downs. 

KC had 5 first downs from penalties.  Buffalo had 1.  Buffalo had 2x more penalty yards called against them.  Yet Chiefs fans are whining about the officiating!

• Thank you (+1) 3

I forgot About this, but Travis Kelce was fined for ripping on this same Carl

Cheffers crew a few years ago:

"Referee No. 51 shouldn't even be able to wear a zebra jersey ever again," Kelce said, per Teicher. "He shouldn't even be able to work at !@#$ Foot Locker."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688307-travis-kelce-fined-for-criticism-of-referee-carl-cheffers-details-and-reaction

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The interference calls are the ones that drive me insane.  Diggs gets pulled away from the ball and crickets.  Kelce pulls White with him as he's going down, with a pass that's uncatchable, and they call PI on Tre.

Go back to the old days where DBs could be more physical, and make PI a 10 yard penalty instead of what they have now. 

The only problem with that is you would get WR's hauled down on every deep pass.

Better to take the 10 or 15 yds then give up 50 or a TD

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Thanks for bringing that up. I thought I must have missed something because it didn't make sense. Well, I guess Scott Law will explain how this is annoying fan bias and the officials were just fine or at least balanced in where they employed awful judgment. ESPN in their crawl inserts a comment about the RTP call that negated the Allen interception, btw. So, the Chiefs are victims of a bad call or its the Chiefs are bad, but how about Justin Herbert? 

Edited by Dr. Who

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.