Tonight’s Officiating.....

Special K

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I honestly think fans think they were worse than they were. The DPI on Tre was the one horrible call but that is who this crew is. They err on the side of throwing flags. 

EDIT: Ethan reminds me of the Morse hold. That was non-existent as well. Bad call.

Thought both RTP penalties were rule book fouls thar could have been let go. They might have called a PI on Fenton against Diggs, but I didn't mind the no call. Rousseau did get held a few times without flags but we got away with a hold on our first touchdown. 

Like overall KC got a couple more calls than we did but I didn't think it was more than most good teams get at home. 

Somehow the officiating crew turned an offensive holding call on the Chiefs to 1st and 5 rather than 1st and 20 in the red zone.  That was cute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Somehow the officiating crew turned an offensive holding call on the Chiefs to 1st and 5 rather than 1st and 20 in the red zone.  That was cute.

I noticed that too and McD was fuming over it. Think it was a spot foul though where its 10 yards from where the hold took place which was down the field during the run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That hold on Morse was criminal. 

That was simply a phantom call

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

I noticed that too and McD was fuming over it. Think it was a spot foul though where its 10 yards from where the hold took place which was down the field during the run.

Yeah I think McD was upset about where they enforced it from because the hold took place not as far upfield - it should have been something like 1st and 12.  It was beyond the LOS but not 15 yards.

5 hours ago, motorj said:

Honestly, the refs had a huge opportunity to get the game close by allowing the josh pic midfield only down 24-13 but they threw a flag on a questionable roughing the passer where they could've looked the other way

Wasn’t questionable, that’s the rule, can’t drive the qb into the ground, easy call…

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I’m a Bills fan and thankful for that roughing the passer makeup call (after the ridiculous holding penalty), but my gosh did the officials over-legislate this game.

What in the heck was that NFL?

Not a make up call, just a legitimate penalty…

• Agree 1

I am so glad that we have finally gotten to the level of quality where we can overcome the officials and their inevitable incompetence. The only way this is going to change is if the coaches get one challenge per game that is for officiating only. The game is just too fast now and trying to call penalties from a bad angle on what "appears" to be a foul is just dumb. Perhaps the officials should just stick with egregious penalties only.

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I am so glad that we have finally gotten to the level of quality where we can overcome the officials and their inevitable incompetence. The only way this is going to change is if the coaches get one challenge per game that is for officiating only. The game is just too fast now and trying to call penalties form a bad angle on what appears to be foul is just dumb. Perhaps the officials should just stick with egregious penalties only.

Yeah it was especially frustrating last year as the Bills receivers were getting mauled without calls and then to see the one sided affair continuing, albeit in a different way by the officiating, in terms of calls impacting the momentum of the game in one team's favor far more than the other.  In any event, you are right.  When you play well enough for it not to matter that is a beautiful thing.  There was no question who was the better team last night.

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I thought it was fairly even (not lopsided) but frustrating with the amount of calls in total. 

Even would imply using the same set of standards for both teams. That was far from what took place. Sure the box will say it was fairly even but how many holding and PI calls did the Bills get in comparison to the Chiefs? Especially on 3rd and 4th downs. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Even would imply using the same set of standards for both teams. That was far from what took place. Sure the box will say it was fairly even but how many holding and PI calls did the Bills get in comparison to the Chiefs? Especially on 3rd and 4th downs. 

KC had 5 first downs from penalties.  Buffalo had 1.  Buffalo had 2x more penalty yards called against them.  Yet Chiefs fans are whining about the officiating!

• Thank you (+1) 3

I forgot About this, but Travis Kelce was fined for ripping on this same Carl

Cheffers crew a few years ago:

"Referee No. 51 shouldn't even be able to wear a zebra jersey ever again," Kelce said, per Teicher. "He shouldn't even be able to work at !@#$ Foot Locker."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2688307-travis-kelce-fined-for-criticism-of-referee-carl-cheffers-details-and-reaction

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The interference calls are the ones that drive me insane.  Diggs gets pulled away from the ball and crickets.  Kelce pulls White with him as he's going down, with a pass that's uncatchable, and they call PI on Tre.

Go back to the old days where DBs could be more physical, and make PI a 10 yard penalty instead of what they have now. 

The only problem with that is you would get WR's hauled down on every deep pass.

Better to take the 10 or 15 yds then give up 50 or a TD

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Thanks for bringing that up. I thought I must have missed something because it didn't make sense. Well, I guess Scott Law will explain how this is annoying fan bias and the officials were just fine or at least balanced in where they employed awful judgment. ESPN in their crawl inserts a comment about the RTP call that negated the Allen interception, btw. So, the Chiefs are victims of a bad call or its the Chiefs are bad, but how about Justin Herbert? 

Edited by Dr. Who

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.