Matt Milano #hammywatch - update - officially off the injury report

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Wood was a different,  smarter player from those mistakes and proceeded to break his rep as injury prone.     Learning how to protect yourself is an ability, IMO. 

The memories of Jonas Jennings were still fresh in my mind early in Wood's career but it was good he proceeded to have a great career. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

11 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I'm hoping he felt something, told coach, and was pulled mostly for precaution. We need him healthy for KC, he knows that. 

That's my hope too, he has been one of if not the best player on the defense so far and not having him against KC would be a blow. 

• Agree 1

The team has been historically conservative with hamstring strains, sitting most players out at least one game before returning them to the field. The exception I have seen is when this occurred in the playoffs last year when Tremaine Edmunds suited up against the Ravens, though we don’t know the severity, other than the designation. It’s important to note he was not questionable going into that game.  

Each time Milano has suffered a hamstring strain, he has missed the following game other than his first hamstring injury. It’s also important he has not had a recurrence of the hamstring strain within that season after each episode. 

Considering his history, his impact on the field when healthy, the use of the phrase “day-to-day”, and the team’s season-long aspirations, it may make sense to rest him. 

While this article is being published Tuesday, we don’t know yet what his practice availability will be this week. Right now, it is too early to tell definitively tell what his status will be for Sunday.

https://bangedupbills.com/2021/10/05/2021-buffalo-bills-postgame-injury-review-houston-texans/

I am hopeful that the hammy was just a minor ding that the trainers and coaching staff felt was worthy of sitting Milano only because of the quality of opponent we were facing in Houston on Sunday. If, God forbid, Milano is unable to go against the Chiefs on Sunday, I will say that I do feel better than I did last year when Milano was sidelined and Klein was pushed into regular duty. I think the coaching staff figured out during the course of last season what Klein's real strengths/weaknesses were and developed strategies to best utilize him.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Rest him against KC and Tenn and use the bye.

It sucks, but even if we lose those two games, having him healthy (potentially) for the other 11 games and playoffs is more important. 

The games after KC and Tenn go BYE, Dolphins, Jags, Jets.

We NEED him for KC and Tenn, and then he can take a month off.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No practice for Milano today (Wednesday) 

I think he sits against KC, as big as this KC game is I don’t see the team risking him long term for a game in early October. I could be wrong but it isn’t like Klein is a bad option off the bench.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, Yobogoya! said:

Milano too damn good to be missing all this time for hamstrings, what can they do to keep his muscles loose?

Tai chi? Ballet? Electrolytes? Apple cider vinegar..?

He needs a constant application of the (HVC) Hot V Compress treatment, keeps the mind and body relaxed, 

10 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think he sits against KC, as big as this KC game is I don’t see the team risking him long term for a game in early October. I could be wrong but it isn’t like Klein is a bad option off the bench.

Too early to know but the stakes are too high for him to sit if he's available to play even on a limited snap count.

In fact what I could see happen is Milano does play this week (assuming he can practice at some capacity) even on a limited snap count, then sit next week against the Titans so he has an extended break through the bye week.

Bigger issue here though is the questions about his extension and being injury prone which once again is front and center not even a month into the season just like last year.

On 10/5/2021 at 8:22 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

The games after KC and Tenn go BYE, Dolphins, Jags, Jets.

We NEED him for KC and Tenn, and then he can take a month off.

I would re-frame that a bit.

We NEED Milano healthy.  There were games last season where he missed plays he would have made if he could have used both arms, for example.

Healthy Milano >> Klein

But 100% Klein may be ~= hampered Milano, given appropriate adjustments to the game plan.

I think the history Bangedup Bills presents argue that unless it was just a twinge and Milano was pulled as a precaution, he is likely to miss the KC game.

Remember, if a player tries "full go" while dealing with an injury, their chances of a re-injury that may be more severe and take longer to heal go up.  I would rather have Milano miss 2 games and be healthy for the rest than to play, injured, and go on IR or be hampered the rest of the season.

Just a counterpoint.

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

It’s a huge game and I hope he’s healthy enough to play but the worst thing we can do is rush him back and aggravate the injury even worse. 

I don’t expect him to play. 

Yeah, I don’t either. That sucks. He would have to be close to 100% to have them risk it. If it were an ankle or shoulder or something I think he plays. Hammy’s are too tricky. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Too early to know but the stakes are too high for him to sit if he's available to play even on a limited snap count.

In fact what I could see happen is Milano does play this week (assuming he can practice at some capacity) even on a limited snap count, then sit next week against the Titans so he has an extended break through the bye week.

Bigger issue here though is the questions about his extension and being injury prone which once again is front and center not even a month into the season just like last year.

His extension was pretty reasonably priced, but yes if he constantly has injury issues that of course limits his value. The question in my mind would be how limited would Milano be? If he is so limited that he is going to have to play limited snaps and be possibly less effective and risk a greater injury setback is it not better to just sit him out?

On 10/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, BuffaloBillies said:

Ouch. that really hurts for KC game. Hammies don't get better in 7 days. sh*t

Not so sure about that. He remained on the sideline..no bench or tent. Pretty obvious they could live without him for the 2nd half, so he was out. I'm thinking this is a tweak, we're seeing precautions, and he plays Sunday night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

He's going to play imo but not a majority of plays.  

Snaps will be monitored tho and they'll use him in situations....see how he feels during the game.  

I wonder to what extent, if any, he was pulled last week knowing he wasn’t really needed and that we had the Chiefs coming up. Regardless, I hope they play it smart and safe. 

14 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I don't know what you guys are looking at. He's moving around fine out there:

:jean claude van damme dancing GIF

Whilst there is always room for a JCVD gif in any post 😀 the movements that Milano is making in that vid are very possible to carry out with a hamstring strain, without experiencing much pain at all.

I'm not saying the video confirms he is really struggling with the hamstring, but I would like to see movements where the leg is extended straight out more before being confident he will be able to play on Sunday.

13 hours ago, theRalph said:

Not so sure about that. He remained on the sideline..no bench or tent. Pretty obvious they could live without him for the 2nd half, so he was out. I'm thinking this is a tweak, we're seeing precautions, and he plays Sunday night.

God I hope your right  if there’s one game that we really need him it’s this one !!!

Edited by Putin

13 hours ago, theRalph said:

I went to the blue tent, if I remember correctly.

It was some tweet I read on the game thread,

14 hours ago, theRalph said:

Hamstrings can linger if not rested and treated properly. If you notice right after the drill, Milano walked very gingerly- my guess he does not play against KC. We will find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Whilst there is always room for a JCVD gif in any post 😀 the movements that Milano is making in that vid are very possible to carry out with a hamstring strain, without experiencing much pain at all.

I'm not saying the video confirms he is really struggling with the hamstring, but I would like to see movements where the leg is extended straight out more before being confident he will be able to play on Sunday.

Having torn and tweaked the hammy a few times...the fact that he is doing that eliminates a tear...or a significant tear because there is no damn way i could do that when I tore mine. Ha

If Milano can't play, it just puts more pressure on the front 4 to get to Kermit the QB.  I was pretty happy with how Klein played, and I think he might even be better against the run, which doesnt help when playing the Chiefs much.  We really need Milano down the stretch and has been stated repeatedly here, hammy injuries tend to take a longer time to heal. 

The reality of this game is, if Josh shows up and plays his game, the D doesn't have to be 100%.  If Josh does what he did last year, twice, against KC, it doesn't matter what the D does

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.