Spencer Brown - will he start on the OL? (Update - Yes)

YoloinOhio

I’ve been following this account for 5 years or so and he definitely has a source within the team somewhere based on my observations over time. My question is… where? Cody Ford is struggling. But is brown a Guard? I feel like he’s too tall. would they move Williams to guard? He’s a better tackle throughout his career… but maybe 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Spencer Brown - will he start on the OL?

I think he was drafted to eventually replace Daryl Williams. It makes sense small school high end raw prospect who can replace Williams who is on a 3 year contract but the struggle at the guard position and Browns faster development than expected makes me think by mid season you will see:

LT-Dawkins

LG- Feliciano

C-Morse

RG-Williams

RT-Brown

• Like (+1) 6

Getting the right mix and a little improvement on the O-line will probably determine how far we go this year. I’d hate to be afraid to look for options that might improve our odds. 

Having said that, I expect an O-Line overhaul this off season like we experienced at WR then DLine. 

EDIT: And I think in retrospect Spencer Brown will be looked at as the first move in the OL overhaul. It can’t completely happen in one offseason. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not sure where.  I don't see him as an OG and Williams just had as good of a performance as you can expect against a great DE.

If nothing else, the competition makes everyone better, I guess. 

• Agree 2

Spencer Brown is a freak athlete. He’s pushing 6-foot-9 in height and currently lists at 311 pounds even though he’s played at even higher weights. Brown is described as “ultra lean” by PFF despite his frame and he gets some of that athletic ability from his pre-college football days. In high school, he was a defensive lineman and… tight end, running around and catching passes. Maybe him and Dawkins could catch touchdown passes in the same season?

• Like (+1) 2

Bills have two very good tackles. Brown is not starting anytime soon.  Dawkins is under contract until 2024 and is only 26.  William signed a 3 year deal with an out clause after 2022.  He is still only 29.  If all goes well Brown remains a swing OT and places in 2023.

He's too tall to play center.  I just don't see him making the field barring an injury or one of the tackles regressing.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Spencer isn’t gonna be a starting RT unless he is at minimum, as good as Williams doing it, it’s to important to have a stout/ sold RT, and NOT downgrade a guard position, NOW if the switch can be done and the O line is overall better, hell, who doesn’t want that? But the switch of personnel has to make the line better overall or it’s not going to happen. It’s not unlikely to see some experimentation though. We shall see, I think it’s a bit early to expect such a big change when things are proceeding in such a positive fashion. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

Williams should not be moved to guard imo. That did not go well in Carolina. He was a fail at LT and guard there. But we know he plays at a high level at RT. 
I know it’s just a theoretical thread but I’d hate the idea. I would almost rather see Dawkins trying to kick into guard than Williams 

1 hour ago, gobills404 said:

not just a one time thing either

If he is tossing folks around like this at guard I don't mind seeing him play there for now.

What's not to like?

Nothing against Ford or Mongo, but if this kid is getting that kind of push and playing consistent you play him.

Eventually I would expect to see him move to the T spot with his length and frame, but if he can upgrade our interior now and push our vets with great competition then more power to him.

Edited by WideNine

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Williams should not be moved to guard imo. That did not go well in Carolina. He was a fail at LT and guard there. But we know he plays at a high level at RT. 
I know it’s just a theoretical thread but I’d hate the idea. I would almost rather see Dawkins trying to kick into guard than Williams 

I'm with you.  His two best years came at right tackle (yes I'm using pff as a source).  He was below average in 2019 as a guard for the Panthers.  The only way I see Spencer Brown getting playing time is an injury to Dawkins or Williams.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, WideNine said:

If he is tossing folks around like this at guard I don't mind seeing him play there for now.

What's not to like?

Nothing against Ford or Mongo, but if this kid is getting that kind of push and playing consistent you play him.

Eventually I would expect to see him move to the T spot with his length and frame, but if he can upgrade our interior now and push our vets with great competition then more power to him.

You just can't ask somebody who's never played guard to play guard.  He played right tackle his entire college career.  It takes some time to adjust your footwork, stance, hand position, etc...

39 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You just can't ask somebody who's never played guard to play guard.  He played right tackle his entire college career.  It takes some time to adjust your footwork, stance, hand position, etc...

Those clips being shared in this thread ARE Spencer Brown looking pretty good playing guard.

So OBD appears to have already asked him to play guard a few times and he said yes :)

Did not appear to be struggling too much filling in. If the kid is pushing for playing time that is a good thing. Love the upside.

• Disagree 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve been following this account for 5 years or so and he definitely has a source within the team somewhere based on my observations over time. My question is… where? Cody Ford is struggling. But is brown a Guard? I feel like he’s too tall. would they move Williams to guard? He’s a better tackle throughout his career… but maybe 

Why do you keep saying that Cody Ford is struggling Cody Ford is not struggling he had some bad place in the third game but has been way more consistent than mongo

Spencer Brown is a tackle he does not fix our interior offensive line issues he is the swing tackle for this team I feel good about where he is just in case something bad happens at that position

For now

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Those clips being shared in this thread ARE Spencer Brown looking pretty good playing guard.

So OBD appears to have already asked him to play guard a few times and he said yes :)

Did not appear to be struggling too much filling in. If the kid is pushing for playing time that is a good thing. Love the upside.

That clip just above these posts doesn’t show Brown at guard, at all. Looks to me that he’s lined up outside RT

Fwiw, he was named tackle eligible a couple of times last Sunday, and they may be thinking of using him, in those types of situations 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

I don't mean to question your football IQ but the guard lines up next to the center.  The tackle lines up next to the guard.  Watch the clips again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he only gets on the field this year at tackle. If either Williams or Dawkins get hurt, he is in. If Williams's struggles of the first two weeks continue (he was much improved week 3) he is in. I'd be surprised if they decide to shuffle Williams inside for Ford to open a spot but it might happen. Have to believe they would try Ike first if they got to the point where they lost faith in Cody.

2 hours ago, WideNine said:

I have not seen a clip at guard.  There were a few clips at Tackle filling in for Williams and a clip lined up as a tackle eligible outside Williams.

He appears to be a dominant run blocker in those situations.  Have not seen him pass block on the right against speed.

• Like (+1) 4

Where is Dunkirk Don when we need him?

Not sure Brown will replace anyone yet, but the odds of moving a rookie into a position he has never played (Guard) at any level, are very low. If he starts this year, it will be because on of the Tackles is injured. Has he replaced Bates as the extra lineman in short yardage situations?

7 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well, he’s not in a prison, so there’s that.

When was he released? ;) 

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

From the second McDermott and Beane got here, it’s has been consistent. They will play the guys they just drafted. Quickly. Almost every time.

But only if they are of equal or better talent to the vet they replace.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Why do you keep saying that Cody Ford is struggling Cody Ford is not struggling he had some bad place in the third game but has been way more consistent than mongo

Spencer Brown is a tackle he does not fix our interior offensive line issues he is the swing tackle for this team I feel good about where he is just in case something bad happens at that position

For now

61078226-5DDE-4A7F-A103-CB949BF29117.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

What's not to like?

That is at right tackle. Look at Sweeney the TE next to him. 

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

The two clips shown Brown is playing RT and to the right of the RT, so tackle eligible. I don't think he's played at guard yet

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Thank you (+1) 1