Spencer Brown - will he start on the OL? (Update - Yes)

YoloinOhio

Yep - my mistake.... now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of what to do with Williams.

Thought he was at guard in that first clip from Yolo - lost track of 65 on that play. Was thinking we have ourselves a rock-star swiss-army knife for our offensive line. Swing tackle that can do that kind of stuff on the inside, but still love what I think this kid can bring to our line. We need that kind of punch and finish.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If they cut him before June 1 it's a $3.6 million dead cap hit all in 2022 but they save $5.3 million on the cap in that scenario. Or if they cut him post June 1 they can spread the dead cap out, $1.8 million in 2022 and 2023. So there is some flexibility built in. If Spencer Brown continues to look the part there's no sense in paying Darryl Williams when an equal or better replacement is waiting in the wings. If Williams keeps playing well maybe we can even get a decent draft pick back in a trade next offseason. Free up some cap and get a pick back without missing a beat.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

DWs contract definitely could be tradeable.  One detail to consider is he gets $4.35M guaranteed 2023 Salary on the 5th day of 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daryl-williams-16828/

He'll be paid $7.125M in new money in both 2022 and 2023.  Unless he regresses significantly, that's a cheap contract for a good RT.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll be paid $7.125M in new money in both 2022 and 2023.  Unless he regresses significantly, that's a cheap contract for a good RT.

I'm not advocating getting rid of DW.  I was only bringing up cap implications.  Like I said IF they wanted to trade him his contract is not an issue.

You are correct his money is not huge for the position.

I do hope his play picks back up to last years standards.  It's a long season and you just got to see how players perform game by game.

The whole OL is playing a little weak but that could change at any time!

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not advocating getting rid of DW.  I was only bringing up cap implications.  Like I said IF they wanted to trade him his contract is not an issue.

You are correct his money is not huge for the position.

I do hope his play picks back up to last years standards.  It's a long season and you just got to see how players perform game by game.

The whole OL is playing a little weak but that could change at any time!

I thought he started slow but the last game against Young was excellent.  If he keeps that up, no way do I even look to trade him for picks and instead concentrate on OG/C.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ve been following this account for 5 years or so and he definitely has a source within the team somewhere based on my observations over time. My question is… where? Cody Ford is struggling. But is brown a Guard? I feel like he’s too tall. would they move Williams to guard? He’s a better tackle throughout his career… but maybe 

I follow him too.  I don’t know if he has a source.  He seems to guess quite a bit. In terms of Brown, I think he’s speculating given some of the nice highlights and Cody Ford lowlights.  Only move I can see is Williams moving to guard

On 9/29/2021 at 7:53 AM, DCofNC said:

I don’t know if I’ll ever understand the Boogie pick.  The OL needed the pick, but apparently they fell in love.

they explained in one of the behind-the-draft videos that he was BPA by a lot on the Bills board. They had a deal set to trade out if he wasn’t there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I imagine we would all agree that the OL will be addressed in next years draft/free agency. I love the possibilities of spencer brown being a towering beast for us on the OL but I m not sure what 1BD thinks regarding OL after resigning to the PC a scrub like Hart.  I dont know what the see in that guy tbh

On 9/29/2021 at 9:43 AM, YoloinOhio said:

The “guards” are too tall and can’t pull. They have too many good OTs and want them all to play so they don’t transfer, it’s annoying because it’s not that simple, what amounts to 4 left tackles and a center out there 

Sounds like they need another LT to play Center to keep them in sync.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:22 PM, HappyDays said:

If they cut him before June 1 it's a $3.6 million dead cap hit all in 2022 but they save $5.3 million on the cap in that scenario. Or if they cut him post June 1 they can spread the dead cap out, $1.8 million in 2022 and 2023. So there is some flexibility built in. If Spencer Brown continues to look the part there's no sense in paying Darryl Williams when an equal or better replacement is waiting in the wings. If Williams keeps playing well maybe we can even get a decent draft pick back in a trade next offseason. Free up some cap and get a pick back without missing a beat.

Sounds like Mijami's management style.  Sign someone to multiyear contract, see someone you like better and cut player after 1 year.

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

I imagine we would all agree that the OL will be addressed in next years draft/free agency. I love the possibilities of spencer brown being a towering beast for us on the OL but I m not sure what 1BD thinks regarding OL after resigning to the PC a scrub like Hart.  I dont know what the see in that guy tbh

They need youth and speed at WR and DB too.....it could be addressed in BPA order or who knows for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1000% chance he's catching a TD this year. 

I counted at least 3 times he came in as a T eligible for some run plays mid game. 

This offense man.  If the oline has it figured out, if Knox has figured it out, and the RBs keep playing like this.....so many ways to attack you.       

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

1000% chance he's catching a TD this year. 

I counted at least 3 times he came in as a T eligible for some run plays mid game. 

This offense man.  If the oline has it figured out, if Knox has figured it out, and the RBs keep playing like this.....so many ways to attack you.       

Like to see them throw more catch and run routes with Knox

On 9/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, clayboy54 said:

Typically, you don't put long and tall men at guard. Their length seldom translates to the guard position. This is due to both the working area as well as their leverage. Long and tall men operate best with more space at a position where low leverage is not as important. This position on the OL is tackle.

That said, freak athletes may defy traditional thought here. It is generally thought to be a bad idea, though. Maybe someone with OL experience could chime in about this.

If you can play you can play my thoughts on this or not his Heights it’s hos experience

He’ll be playing soon enough if our office of guard plate does not pick up either Williams will go inside or they will put him at guard

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Sounds like they need another LT to play Center to keep them in sync.

Sounds like Mijami's management style.  Sign someone to multiyear contract, see someone you like better and cut player after 1 year.

And their  center was a high school LT who they moved to guard and then center :(

4. The Bills need more from Cody Ford, and quickly

Outside of Feliciano’s concussion, the other offensive lineman to watch is right guard Cody Ford. The third-year player had one of the worst pass-blocking performances of the season and allowed 11 total pressures against Washington. It was the second week in a row that Ford struggled as a pass blocker, and if it continues, it might force a decision by the Bills. They made an early call on third-year receiver Zay Jones in 2019 and quickly moved on that season. The team is also not afraid to make a lineup switch along their offensive line in the first month of the season. They did it last year with the underperforming Quinton Spain after two games. In 2018 they benched Ryan Groy, again, after just two games. In 2017, they replaced John Miller after four games. The precedent is there.

If they do make a move, you have to wonder how they’ll shift things around. The Bills had to like what they saw out of third-round rookie offensive tackle Spencer Brown in late-game snaps against Washington. He was quick, explosive and he buried his assignment on two snaps. Daryl Williams has also struggled at right tackle this season, having difficulty combating speed on the edge, and could be better suited inside. It might be a bit early. But if Brown continues to show them good reps in practice and late in games, and Ford and Williams struggle, the Bills could once again shuffle the offensive line in the first month of a season.

https://theathletic.com/2861979/2021/10/01/is-stefon-diggs-ready-to-erupt-5-thoughts-and-a-prediction-for-bills-texans/

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Thing people might be missing with the whole don't put Williams inside he wasn't good there thing is he doesn't have to be good he just has to be better than Ford.

He struggled at guard coming right off of missing most of the prior season with a serious knee injury........it wasn't simply a position switch issue.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:06 PM, Rochesterfan said:

I have not seen a clip at guard.  There were a few clips at Tackle filling in for Williams and a clip lined up as a tackle eligible outside Williams.

He appears to be a dominant run blocker in those situations.  Have not seen him pass block on the right against speed.

This is the concern. He's athletic, really athletic, but that doesn't always translate, particularly early in the process. In camp it was reported he had some trouble with speed. 

I'm rooting for him. I don't see him starting this year, but what do I know?

Buscaglia raised the same question in his column today, talking about Cody Ford's pass protection problems so far this year.

https://theathletic.com/2861979/2021/10/01/is-stefon-diggs-ready-to-erupt-5-thoughts-and-a-prediction-for-bills-texans/

EDIT:  Ah, I see Yolo already linked to it, above.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He struggled at guard coming right off of missing most of the prior season with a serious knee injury........it wasn't simply a position switch issue.

Yes. The year he struggled at guard he also struggled at tackle. It's why we were able to get him so cheaply.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes. The year he struggled at guard he also struggled at tackle. It's why we were able to get him so cheaply.

Yeah but left tackle (oddly they didn't play him at RT where he was 2nd team All-Pro 2 seasons before).  It's possible both the injury lingering and a position switch made him struggle so playing him at RG (keeping him on the same side would make the most sense) is a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/29/2021 at 2:15 PM, WideNine said:

Yep - my mistake.... now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of what to do with Williams.

Thought he was at guard in that first clip from Yolo - lost track of 65 on that play. Was thinking we have ourselves a rock-star swiss-army knife for our offensive line. Swing tackle that can do that kind of stuff on the inside, but still love what I think this kid can bring to our line. We need that kind of punch and finish.

I did the exact same thing! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but left tackle (oddly they didn't play him at RT where he was 2nd team All-Pro 2 seasons before).  It's possible both the injury lingering and a position switch made him struggle so playing him at RG (keeping him on the same side would make the most sense) is a possibility.

Correct on his final year at Carolina. He played LT and both guard spots and struggled. 

I think Williams in to RG and Brown in at RT is the kind of move you make only if you are accepting that both Ford and Ike are not good enough. It is kind of the "break glass in case of emergency" move. They won't make it pre-bye. But if KC and Tenn shows up the line I could see them doing it for the week 8 game against the Dolphins.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Correct on his final year at Carolina. He played LT and both guard spots and struggled. 

I think Williams in to RG and Brown in at RT is the kind of move you make only if you are accepting that both Ford and Ike are not good enough. It is kind of the "break glass in case of emergency" move. They won't make it pre-bye. But if KC and Tenn shows up the line I could see them doing it for the week 8 game against the Dolphins.

Agree, but I don't know if it gets to that with Ike. He hasn't been too bad. 

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Boettger should be starting he isn’t a great run blocker but he’s 50x the pass blocker Ford is. The thing is Ford is a high draft pick who got hurt and the Bills wanna see if he can be what they drafted before trading him which will eventually happen. 

As of now it sure looks that way, who knows if it will out, fingers crossed 🤞 

Go Bills!!!

Wowwwww. I like it. Might work might not but good week to test it. Get your best OLineman on the field. Someone here this week made a great call on this. Had to follow that dude on Twitter from OP

@YoloinOhio great call man! Staff must have alot of confidence in the youngin. Excited about this

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Wowwwww. I like it. Might work might not but good week to test it. Get your best OLineman on the field. Someone here this week made a great call on this. Had to follow that dude on Twitter from OP

@YoloinOhio great call man! Staff must have alot of confidence in the youngin. Excited about this

Yes, and keeping D. Williams near Brown is a solid idea.  Much better than forcing Brown to G.