OT: Are you concerned about Mac Jones?

Success

After tonight's game, not worried AT ALL!!!

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yawn.. another baseless claim not made with any sort of facts.. I’ll do it to Allen will be done in 2 years after he gets hurt running and not sliding. ( No I don’t mean it.. but it’s almost as stupid as his claim.

He's nothing more than a Brian Hoyer with a weaker arm. Drool over him all you want. The Pats* won't win jack ***** with him. 

As for facts, he threw one pass over 20 yards all game. And when he did, it was picked off. Enjoy your 30 completion QB for 180 yards all you want. He's nothing special at all.

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

He's nothing more than a Brian Hoyer with a weaker arm. Drool over him all you want. The Pats* won't win jack ***** with him. 

As for facts, he threw one pass over 20 yards all game. And when he did, it was picked off. Enjoy your 30 completion QB for 180 yards all you want. He's nothing special at all.

OK but would you mind telling us which rookie QB (other than Trevor Lawrence) you would rather have on your team than Mac Jones? Wilson? Lance? Fields lol? 

C'mon, seriously.........

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

I find that the more people feel the need to dismiss the Patriots and Mac Jones, the greater their fear that they will beat us!

It's hilarious, but psychology 101 I'm afraid.

• Like (+1) 1

I still don’t know if Mac Jones is a playmaker, but he’s naturally accurate and so there is an efficiency to his game.

Plus, doesn’t it seem like he has a good grasp of the offense? It’s not like they paired down the playbook EJ Manuel style so that he can get on the field. 

It’s a classic Belichick team. Good defense, paired with multiple running backs, an accurate Quarterback who makes good decisions and doesn’t turn the ball over. 

The long term question will be can Mac Jones develop a better arm to make big plays in big games? 

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

16 of his 22 completions tonight were within 6 yards of the LoS.  All but 3 were within 10 yards.  Scuse me while I go quiver in my boots.

Wasn't that the Patriots game for years?  Two 6 yard passes moves the chains.  Could shut down their run, could keep them from throwing deep, and a 3 yard pass to the TE would go for 6 or 7.

11 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I still don’t know if Mac Jones is a playmaker, but he’s naturally accurate and so there is an efficiency to his game.

Plus, doesn’t it seem like he has a good grasp of the offense? It’s not like they paired down the playbook EJ Manuel style so that he can get on the field. 

It’s a classic Belichick team. Good defense, paired with multiple running backs, an accurate Quarterback who makes good decisions and doesn’t turn the ball over. 

The long term question will be can Mac Jones develop a better arm to make big plays in big games? 

Yes, he's accurate, he's making good decisions, and he's playing within in an offense that's designed to not ask too much of a young QB.  He's supported by a solid run game and a decent OL.

He's playing well within that system.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't that the Patriots game for years?

Amen... Brady was a dink and dunk guy... sound strategy along with run the ball, play good defense, avoid penalties.

Same was true for Parcells Giants teams where Belichick grew to fame... Simms threw a lot of "high percentage passes" as I recall... winning formula along with great defense and solid running game.

All of those teams had better than average to great tight end play as well.

I don't know if it is more fear of Mac Jones, but of the coaching staff and history. They are doing a great of putting him in the right play calls for his abilities, and current development. He does make quick decisions, and avoids mistakes. A lot like Brady early on.

The key is defense, and they have shown better and better throughout the season. 

I think it could be two tough games, but they aren't ready to take the division back from the bills this year.

• Disagree 1

207 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int.  Is this the stat line of a guy that should instill fear?  You would think so if you listen to the national sports media this morning. Sure, he is doing a very good job of managing games and throwing accurate, short passes. When teams catch on and are very confident that they have nothing to fear beyond 10 yards, he will be exposed for the limited athlete that he is. Enjoy it while it lasts Pats* fans. 

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Nope not at all.  He threw maybe 2 solid passes all night.  Rest was standard 2-5 yard pitch and catch.

but he’s a super star. Who are we to argue?

it also helps when guys are wide open going across the field 5 yards deep and stroll in for an easy TD. 

19 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

He won't be screwed against the bills then lol as the bills are always one of the bottom tackling teams in the league.

Not this year. The Bills are the top-ranked defense overall in yards per game and 3rd against the run. The *Pats games will be no cakewalks, but the Bills are better top to bottom. Beating them twice will be twice as sweet.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Wasn't that the Patriots game for years?  Two 6 yard passes moves the chains.  Could shut down their run, could keep them from throwing deep, and a 3 yard pass to the TE would go for 6 or 7.

Yes, he's accurate, he's making good decisions, and he's playing within in an offense that's designed to not ask too much of a young QB.  He's supported by a solid run game and a decent OL.

He's playing well within that system.

20 years ago?

Yes, he is playing very well within that system.  What I don't know is if he can improve beyond it and neither does anyone else.  Its too early for that gold jacket.  Not saying you are giving it to him but others are.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:52 PM, Success said:

Not sure if this is appropriate for this forum, but I was curious what other Bills fans were thinking up to this point.  It's hard for me to put in perspective because I have such a psychosis when it comes to the Pats. I was worried about Jimmy G, and even Stidham.

But the Mac hype is officially through the roof. When I'm on general NFL boards or twitter, it seems to be accepted that he is "the best of all the rookie QB's so far," and Pats fans think they got the steal of the draft.

Being obsessive about these things, I watched all of the passes from their 1st 2 games. There is no doubt he is accurate, and seems poised in the pocket.  The main thing I saw was more related to coaching - they really set the plays up for him to succeed.  He takes almost no risks at all.  Most passes are short outs or check downs (not disparaging those things, because they can be effective).   I saw nothing that made me think he could do what around 20 or so current QB's could do w/ that same coaching and in that system.

Which, of course, reminds me of Brady's early years. Brady transcended that and became a guy who could take over games and lead big comebacks.  I can't help but ask, was that because he was developed properly, and can New England do the same thing w/ Mac?  Or is Brady just Brady, and expecting the same progression for Mac is unlikely at best?

Naturally, I'm hoping we don't have a Montana/Young thing going there, and it's still extremely early. I'm just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it so far.....

Nope

17 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

I know right..i mean after all it was a bills fan that made this Mac Jones thread to begin with that you keep coming into as well. I mean what am i thinking talking about a topic that someone else created for people to talk about...wow what a concept. Wait maybe i shouldn't use too much sarcasm. That may show signs of a disability issue. So i was told.

Wow, like whoa! I mean...totally. Its so whatever. Wow. Much Mac Jones. Right? I mean, whoa!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

16 of his 22 completions tonight were within 6 yards of the LoS.  All but 3 were within 10 yards.  Scuse me while I go quiver in my boots.

Its a classic Mac Jones game.  Any number of pass attempts for 200 yards, 1 Td and 1 INT.  Defensive score to make it look good and they break 20 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jones probably had his worst game last night during the Pats current 5 game win streak but they still put up 25 points in a shut out.

Right now PFF has him graded as the best QB in the entire league the last 5 weeks and right up there in other key metrics which is also dispels the game manager myth:

• Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Jones probably had his worst game last night during the Pats current 5 game win streak but they still put up 25 points in a shut out.

Right now PFF has him graded as the best QB in the entire league the last 5 weeks and right up there in other key metrics which is also dispels the game manager myth:

Great hot take…might as well size him up for his filthy bust in Canton!

11 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK but would you mind telling us which rookie QB (other than Trevor Lawrence) you would rather have on your team than Mac Jones? Wilson? Lance? Fields lol? 

C'mon, seriously.........

Rookie QBs should not be compared just to other quarterbacks from their rookie class, its such a low bar given on average 20% of Quarterbacks from any given class even have average careers.  

I havent seen Mac play yet, but I dont think his early success was hard to predict.  Outside of Lawrence, who has far superior physical gifts, he was the most pro ready player coming into the draft.   That said, when compared with other first round quarterbacks since 2012 he is having a top ten rookie season.   I dont think its fair to make him out to be some game manager because he is doing more than that.  But rookie seasons are rookie seasons.   We will have to see how it plays out.  I dont think its inaccurate to say that Watson, Luck, Burrow, Wentz, Mariota, Mayfield, Daniel Jones and Kyler Murray all had better rookie season statistically speaking, but Jones is winning too.

A lot of hyperbole going around about Mac and Cheese.  Fear, no.  Healthy respect, yes for now.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Smith said:

Yes.  NE defense helps Jones big time.  

The Bills are one dimensional and that dimension is what the Pats are shutting down.  Jones won't have to do much.  

Well that’s a relief, because he doesn’t do much as it is. 207 yards and a TD/INT like he did Thursday won’t beat Buffalo.

Recently he had less than 140 yards vs Carolina, less than 200 vs the Browns, and put up a goose egg against the Chargers - the only reputable team NE has faced over the last 5 weeks. The only reason NE is doing well is the defense. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

NO

F NO 

2 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

22 of 26, for a measly 207 yards and 1 TD and an INT

pump the damn brakes

Yes but those numbers are against a great defense 

oh wait never mind 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.