Looking like Bills made the right call not resigning Jordan Phillips...

Big Turk

Thats because he doesn't like Phoenix.  He likes the money the Cards paid him,  but the fans and city don't measure up to Buffalo.

Actually,  i miss the Phoenix Cardinals. Neil Lomax! 

I hate when sports teams represent states instead of cities. 

Could you imagine the New York Bills or the Wisconsin Packers? 

It was painfully obvious to me that he was playing for a new contract. I was very glad we did not re-sign him. I wish him well, but I am glad the Bills moved on.

Same with Lawson. I was banging the tables to not re-sign either of them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I look forward to Phillips coming back in 2022 on a small deal and being a productive player again. 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

It was painfully obvious to me that he was playing for a new contract. I was very glad we did not re-sign him. I wish him well, but I am glad the Bills moved on.

The issue was that the players they spent that money on (Addison, Butler and Jefferson) weren’t that impactful in 2020. But it was absolutely the right call to move on from both.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

To get the money you need 3 solid years of production. Brandon Beane said this several times

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed on letting Phillips go. I would have picked up Lawson's 5th year option and jettisoned Murphy.  Lawson was the better player but McD loved the PED cheat.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I look forward to Phillips coming back in 2022 on a small deal and being a productive player again. 

The issue was that the players they spent that money on (Addison, Butler and Jefferson) weren’t that impactful in 2020. But it was absolutely the right call to move on from both.

Maybe the two that are left, Addison & Butler, have better seasons this year. From what I've read, I'll buy that Addison plays a bit better.  Butler, who I think responds to one on one coaching, could respond as well....

Im hoping it is a whole defensive line thing going on this year. As a player beats one on one blocking, things get disorderly and others find their way thru.... That's what I'm looking to see....Week one is a good opponent to get a break on this way of playing.  Pittsburgh ought to have one of the worst lines we will see plus the game is at home and the crowd should be extra rowdy after a year's absence.

Maybe we still don't have any blue chippers.... Either too young or too old, but together they get the job done?

Go Bills!

Its weird, the Bills have Groot doing one thing and trying to get great at it but the more experienced Boogie Basham is being taught several positions at once and that this is ######ing his game now according to coaches.

I think it is because they really like Basham inside on passing downs. Makes sense. I expect to see four ends vs. obvious passing situations from here on out.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Vontae said:

New York Bills maybe not the best example?  NYC 

I do agree with your general opinion 

Florida Panthers might sound better than Jack's Jags? If so then Carolina got them good

Sure,  but there's anther hockey team in Florida that actually wins.  And Carolina Panthers, or Hurricanes? Which Carolina are they repping? Gets confusing....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I tried to tell people at the time be wary of the player that has little production right before a contract year then breaks out

jordon for his size should have been a much better run stop guy but he was going for broke on his sack numbers 

once he got paid…….

It helps when those players (Shaq and Phillips) kept saying "contract year" over and over again.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There were A LOT of people on TSW who were very upset with Beane for allowing he and Shaq to leave.

They simply are not trustworthy players...........the fanbase falls in love with anyone who panders to them.......so these two counterfeit namesakes of NBA greats did that to try to create additional pressure for management to pay them.

Fortunately Beane didn't fall for it.

They are who they were before they ramped up for their money grab.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Some players operate better in a structured environment like Buffalo.  Arizona strikes me as a collection of individuals more than a team.  Not a good fit for him.

Yeah but they were guys with motivation/work ethic issues prior to their contract runs.

Pretty sure paying them was going to produce diminishing returns regardless once they got paid......whether here or elsewhere.

• Eyeroll 1

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There were A LOT of people on TSW who were very upset with Beane for allowing he and Shaq to leave.

They simply are not trustworthy players...........the fanbase falls in love with anyone who panders to them.......so these two counterfeit namesakes of NBA greats did that to try to create additional pressure for management to pay them.

Fortunately Beane didn't fall for it.

They are who they were before they ramped up for their money grab.

Yeah but they were guys with motivation/work ethic issues prior to their contract runs.

Pretty sure paying them was going to produce diminishing returns regardless once they got paid......whether here or elsewhere.

Counterfeit namesakes of NBA greats? :lol:

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If Jimmy Walker hadn't been such a deadbeat NBA dad.........Jalen Rose would have been Jimmy Walker Jr............and we wouldn't have 500 "Jalen/Jaelin/Jaelon/Jaylon's" in the NFL. 

Yet not one LeBron anywhere, go figure.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was one of the few who wanted Lawson to stay. At the very least pickup the 5th year on him and get one more cost controlled season. 
Phillips I wasn’t a big fan of. His stat line popped but he was invisible so many times. I think both players benefited from dare I say the buffalo culture and accountability in the locker room. Phillips to be fair seems have some really bad luck since leaving. Lawson seems to move teams weekly and nobody knows there to play him. OLB/DE 

The Phillips/Lawson decisions were pretty easy ones in my mind and I wasn’t upset when they left.  It would have shocked me for either — but particularly Phillips — to duplicate or increase their production at their next stop.  Unfortunately with Star opting out, Harry rehabbing a knee, and Murphy being “done” the additions of Addison, Jefferson, Butler, and a not-ready-for-primetime Epenesa were simply not enough to make this a D line worthy of respect.  Looking back, it’s almost astounding the defense played as well as they did in stretches.  But that’s beside the point.  Not bringing back Phillips and Lawson was the right move.

12 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I was one of the few who wanted Lawson to stay. At the very least pickup the 5th year on him and get one more cost controlled season. 
Phillips I wasn’t a big fan of. His stat line popped but he was invisible so many times. I think both players benefited from dare I say the buffalo culture and accountability in the locker room. Phillips to be fair seems have some really bad luck since leaving. Lawson seems to move teams weekly and nobody knows there to play him. OLB/DE 

I was the total opposite. Loved Phillips and wanted them to re-sign him— but wanted them to let Lawson walk.  Part of that was that I felt Phillips bought into Buffalo and the team— and Lawson struck me as just waiting to get of here. Plus, Lawson as an “edge setter” has such a limited skill set. 

• Like (+1) 1

It looks like Beane got this one right, neither Shaq or Big Phil were worth the money. However, It is difficult to say how how either player would have done if they stayed in Buff.  I liked Big Phil a lot and sometimes injuries can be just bad luck.

At the end of the season press conference that year, Beane said they would make a strong effort to bring Shaq back but that Jordan Phillips had earned the opportunity to determine his value in the free agent market.

It was clear they wanted Shaq back and from all indications they made what they felt was a reasonable offer to Shaq (though obviously not matching the Dolphins offer) but did not want Phillips,

I was sold on Phillips being an emotional leader on defense. He as always trying to pump up the crowd to get loud. At the Redskins game in 2019, he was personally responsible for me losing my voice. Not as much that I was cheering so wildly as much as we couldn't figure out how to stop Adrian Peterson until the 2nd half, and even then we kept giving them the ball back (not to mention Bojo shanked the worst punt I've ever seen live, and I saw many high school football games).  I think they only converted two 3rd down conversions. It felt like we had to make noise like 22 times on third down. I was hearing the train noise in my sleep. But Beane and Co made the right decision on this one.