Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think 1 game can make people ignore the 3 years of tape Trubisky already has. 

I think Trubisky is what he is. A guy that’s probably best suited as a backup who can come in keep you competitive for a handful of games if needed. I don’t think there’s any chance he’s going to be a long term starter for anyone anymore.

Sure. I should’ve probably clarify that the value he would represent is as a bridge QB. Even the Daboll takes him thoughts center around him as a bridge.  

Not sure if you meant he’ll never be a season long starter in the NFL again. If that’s what you meant I’m not quite there.  

thanks again for clarifying 

• Like (+1) 1

I think there is an erroneous assumption that Covid-19 isn't going to be the issue it was last season. In fact, it could be much more of an issue, and I wonder if they're not going to put poor Fromm back in his lonely little world that he endured last season? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think 1 game can make people ignore the 3 years of tape Trubisky already has. 

I think Trubisky is what he is. A guy that’s probably best suited as a backup who can come in keep you competitive for a handful of games if needed. I don’t think there’s any chance he’s going to be a long term starter for anyone anymore.

He could have a Tannyhill type turnaround 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

He may not change his market value this year , but he would want to go somewhere where he has a chance of starting so he could change his market value in the future

I guess my question would be why didn't he do that already then. Pittsburgh for example needs a better #2 than what they have and there is a much clearer path to future playing time there.

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You'd be surprised how many people will buy into a player that has performed poorly all being the fault of 'coaching' (regardless of the actual coaching) despite the fact that the 'turnaround' story is relatively rare. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I think it’s more about coaching and systems. I think he is better than several starters in the league right now, including some in our division. 

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

You'd be surprised how many people will buy into a player that has performed poorly all being the fault of 'coaching' (regardless of the actual coaching). 

Well then we’ll see how Dalton does this year with that vaunted Chicago coaching staff.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe but I think predicting Trubisky follows Daboll wherever he goes is a tired and lazy take at this point. 

Why lazy and tired? I imagine it was a significant part of his thinking. In fact, if Josh doesn’t get hurt and miss significant time in the season, Brian Daboll is likely to be the only person in the league not on the Bills who knows just how good or not good Trubisky is. His stock may not go up at all around the league if no one sees him play. His stock could soar with one guy: Daboll. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Why lazy and tired? I imagine it was a significant part of his thinking. In fact, if Josh doesn’t get hurt and miss significant time in the season, Brian Daboll is likely to be the only person in the league not on the Bills who knows just how good or not good Trubisky is. His stock may not go up at all around the league if no one sees him play. His stock could soar with one guy: Daboll. 

Agreed, it's not lazy at all and it's highly likely to happen.  Daboll would be wise to package himself with a QB who has spent time in his system - there will be plenty of openings looking for a brand-new HC/QB combo, even if the QB is considered a stop-gap.  It's smart marketing.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

Trubisky will be going to Minnesota next year.  Along with Minny's new HC, Daboll.

you heard it here first.

I think the Bills should give Trubisky a 2 year contract extension sometime mid-season. He would not be that expensive to keep.

If other teams want him, they'll have to pay up. We shouldn't just let Trubisky walk after this season for a measly compensatory pick.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mark Vader said:

I think the Bills should give Trubisky a 2 year contract extension sometime mid-season. He would not be that expensive to keep.

If other teams want him, they'll have to pay up. We shouldn't just let Trubisky walk after this season for a measly compensatory pick.

I would doubt he would agree unless it’s 10m or more a season. He’s not going to want to sit AND not get paid much in the prime of his career. He’ll either want the cash or opportunity. 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I would doubt he would agree unless it’s 10m or more a season. He’s not going to want to sit AND not get paid much in the prime of his career. He’ll either want the cash or opportunity. 

Best shot we have of keeping Trubisky is if he learning from Josh's situation takes his time to pick his shot to the right situation and doesn't find what he wants yet.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Maybe, so let's explore that and find out.

Don't just let him walk away.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I think there is an erroneous assumption that Covid-19 isn't going to be the issue it was last season. In fact, it could be much more of an issue, and I wonder if they're not going to put poor Fromm back in his lonely little world that he endured last season? 

Would not be surprised by this at all. Not only that, but unless someone wants to put him on their 53 we can also keep developing him to potentially take over once Trubisky presumably leaves to compete for a starting gig somewhere else. 

58 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You'd be surprised how many people will buy into a player that has performed poorly all being the fault of 'coaching' (regardless of the actual coaching) despite the fact that the 'turnaround' story is relatively rare. 

It possible… apparently he’s a practice superstar.  His career statistically has been good, heck he was a pro bowler in 2018…  

He’s probably the second best QB we’ve had in Buffalo in 20 years 😉 

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

what if he doesn't want to sign here?

37 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

If he wants to be a starter, why would he sign mid season?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Stories like an inaccurate and raw QB from a weak conference developing into an accurate NFL MVP candidate are rarer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I guess my question would be why didn't he do that already then. Pittsburgh for example needs a better #2 than what they have and there is a much clearer path to future playing time there.

Because he chose a coaching staff that made  Josh what he is today.  Not just Daboll, but the QB coaches also.

His stock rises just for being coached up here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

52 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I dont think Trubisky wants a 2  year contract.  I think a big selling point was his ability to enter the QB carousel during the next cycle.

For the Bills, yes that would be great.  But I think there's a very good reason why both sides didnt do that already.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

If Daboll is going to the NFC Central, I doubt Trubisky is going back there with him, the fanbases would revolt. 

au  contraire.

I'f I'm Trubisky, the NFC Central is my first choice (except a spot with a clear path to starterdom).  And the fans would all be rooting for me, to make the Bears look even stupider or something.

12 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

I dont think Trubisky wants a 2  year contract.  I think a big selling point was his ability to enter the QB carousel during the next cycle.

For the Bills, yes that would be great.  But I think there's a very good reason why both sides didnt do that already.

au  contraire.

I'f I'm Trubisky, the NFC Central is my first choice (except a spot with a clear path to starterdom).  And the fans would all be rooting for me, to make the Bears look even stupider or something.

If I’m a Lions or Vikings fan and Mitch is being sold as my new QB, I’m not happy, not at all. Then again, I’m glad I’m not a Lions or Vikings fan.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

I agree with you. If he doesn't get a chance to play much he's going to have a hard time changing his market value from what it was last year.

Also agree that MT may choose to stay as backup to Ja17 and try snag a second SB ring.  

Gotta remember MT has already been a starting Qb in the league.  He's been in was it 2 different systems in Chicago.  Seems like the Bears do not value offense enough to succeed in today's NFL.  So we can safely say he knows what a badly run organization looks like and he gets to see a well run team and let's be real which is more likely. MT lived in a Chicago suburb and his adjoining neighbors did not know who he was. Or living in whichever home or apt he's renting he and his family are greeted with 'Go bills!'  And wait for it ...... to the point that Mitch and his family wanna Shout!  HEYA the Bills wanna make them shout!    So there you have it Mitch Tribisky could stay to win his second SB ring knowing he can pick his opportunity cause I know this is a winning era and I think MT as well as the vets we are attracting know it too.

Gotta recognize that sometimes for some people the cultural fit trumps other considerations.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

If I’m a Lions or Vikings fan and Mitch is being sold as my new QB, I’m not happy, not at all. Then again, I’m glad I’m not a Lions or Vikings fan.

You'll be sold an offensive coach with a (now) proven track record, accompanied by a vet QB at a reasonable contract who knows the offense and can act as a "stop gap" while a new, to-be-drafted QB is groomed.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

You'll be sold an offensive coach with a (now) proven track record, accompanied by a vet QB at a reasonable contract who knows the offense and can act as a "stop gap" while a new, to-be-drafted QB is groomed.

Did Trubisky get cut?  Or did something happen to the Bills cuts thread?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

And I’d be happy with Daboll, but I’ve seen enough of Mitch.

Almost like Tannehill coming to the Bills before he went to the Titans.

Edited by Rico
  • Eyeroll 1

24 minutes ago, Rico said:

They used to feel the same way about us!  At least the Vikings have some hope once in a while (and a super cool stadium). The Lions? That’s a loyal crowd there! Hats off to them, sincerely. 

I pray Mitch never sees the field unless it’s mop up time and Josh’s arm is tired from throwing so many TD’s. Where you land matters. Mitch is ours for now, and I hope for his sake they find a way to showcase him on our way to the Lombardy Trophy! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, nucci said:

what if he doesn't want to sign here?

If they reach out to him with an offer, and he says no, so be it. At least they will have tried.

50 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

If he wants to be a starter, why would he sign mid season?

Because the Bills would give him a good offer?

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

au  contraire.

I'f I'm Trubisky, the NFC Central is my first choice (except a spot with a clear path to starterdom).  And the fans would all be rooting for me, to make the Bears look even stupider original and something.

Well thats interesting but what you'd does not mean it is what Mitch will do.  This 1 year deal lets both sides get to test the fit and then they both have a better idea what value would be for another year. Both sides respect the process both win with no pressure other than give us your best effort we do the same.

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

4th string for now. Turbinski is t going anywhere. Fromm better than Webb. 

Mitch may only be around for one year, I guess they need to decide if Fromm is good enough to be long term solution at backup. 

I agree. Fromm clearly outperformed Webb.

A blind man could see that

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

What incentive would he have to sign that contract mid season - unless you are offering him big time money?

He took this gig to get a chance to learn in a low pressure environment and see what Josh does as a leader to help himself.

He has already showed that he has picked up a lot of ability at reading defenses and making good reads if you give him options and more importantly he is learning what kinds of throws to make in specific situations.

In Chicago - he was over drafted and the coaching staff has shown themselves to be very poor at leadership as just look at the number of QBs that have gone through and not one has looked effective.  Now you have another guy in Dalton that looks worse in that offensive scheme than he did in Dallas after taking over and significantly worse than Cincinnati.  

I think if Daboll leaves and goes to a couple of different places like Minnesota or Denver where they have a nice WR room, but are lacking a QB - Mitch could come in and make that team instantly better.  As a QB - he had a winning record in Chicago, lead them to multiple playoff appearances, and had a positive TD to Int ratio.  He couldn’t live up to his draft position, but he was never as bad as they thought.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I agree. Fromm clearly outperformed Webb.

A blind man could see that

An elite white man could see that.

I actually thought Webb was way better in the 1st preseason game but Fromm has played better the next two.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, AuntieEm said:

Well thats interesting but what you'd does not mean it is what Mitch will do.  This 1 year deal lets both sides get to test the fit and then they both have a better idea what value would be for another year. Both sides respect the process both win with no pressure other than give us your best effort we do the same. 

And if he puts in the effort in making himself the best qb he can be instead of trying to make a front office who likely be different there in short order  nothing screams keep that front office together.  And players know and have friendships spanning over team lines so gotta figure players may know good opportunity over bad.