Bills cuts to get to 53 [final info in the OP]

YoloinOhio

Just now, Process said:

Question though, why not just put the other player on IR now and avoid having to release and resign Hollister? Something to do with the ability for a player to return from IR based on timing?

If a player goes on IR now, they are out for the season.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Depending on health and possible IRs I have it down to Taiwan Jones (though I am very sure he is in), Jake Kumerow, Marquez Stevenson, Tommy Sweeney, Vernon Butler, Tyrel Dodson, Cam Lewis, Damar Hamlin Josh Thomas and maybe Tommy Doyle as the final 10 fighting over five spots. So it is just the final 5 cuts that are hard. 

Still, that's a lot different from five or seven years ago.  Then, those final five were the best of ten guys who looked more like development players.  Kumerow, Stevenson, Sweeney, Butler, Hamlin, Thomas all look like guys who could contribute if asked to play a significant role today.   I mean, seven years ago, if a guy like Kumerow were cut from some team, the Bills were looking to sign him.  The problem then was that a guy like Kumerow didn't want to come to Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3

Hollister is a vested veteran and will certainly be back. If I had to guess, Phillips may be heading to IR for a few weeks. 

1 minute ago, Process said:

Question though, why not just put the other player on IR now and avoid having to release and resign Hollister? Something to do with the ability for a player to return from IR based on timing?

Yes. I believe if you IR a player before the season starts then they are done for the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yeah I am not saying that there are not tough decisions, just that people are overreacting a little bit :)

I think you said Jones is almost a lock and Hamlin>Thomas so its more like 7 people for 3 spots.

If I had to guess I'd say Butler is gone (if Phillips looks good injury wise), Sweeney will be cut and put on PS (with very low risk). Doyle is very tricky and WR decision will be most interesting one. I do agree that Stevenson needs to be on 53 otherwise we lose him. Dodson will be also stolen if he doesn't make it.

Yea. I think it really isn't all that many but everyone on that list except for probably Doyle (who ironically is one of the ones most likely to get one) is worth a spot on an NFL roster in 2021. There are not too many teams who will cut 4-6 players about whom that could be said. So I do get where the people saying it is hard come from. 

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Making room for the Kelce trade?

yeah if we're making madden style trades why bother with Ertz, let's shoot for the stars.  while we're at it i think we should cut Taiwan Jones and sign Derrick Henry

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm going to guess this means Sweeney makes the roster but goes on IR again and we re-sign Hollister

Doesn't necessarily mean Sweeney - it could be a guy at another spot - they don't have that many vested guys they could do this with.... basically Hollister, Breida, Jones and McKenzie. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Jones costs $700k to do it with. Hollister about $150k. 

Hollister would have a lot more interest on open market than Jones.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

lol, what the heck has Cam Lewis shown.  These Bills reporters are so delusional at times.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Back2Buff said:

Hollister would have a lot more interest on open market than Jones.

Unless Bills have a gentleman's agreement with Hollister, they cut him to IR a player once the 53 are set, the scenario numerous folks have outlined. Then you save $550K by going with Hollister. Hard to understand?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Unless Bills have a gentleman's agreement with Hollister, they cut him to IR a player once the 53 are set, the scenario numerous folks have outlined. Then you save $550K by going with Hollister. Hard to understand?

They will also throw him a nice bonus to hang out at Josh’s house until tomorrow and then re-sign 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I expect they put Sweeney on the IR and bring back Hollister

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who would be the second if Hollister is cut for-real?

I think Sweeney is the only one left on the roster. Maybe they keep just Knox and Gilliam so they can keep more depth at other positions. Maybe they already signed/traded for another TE and it just hasn't been announced yet.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Phillips

Possible

I could be wrong, and Joe B could have some insider info that says Phillips needs this much time, but if we IR him now we can't get him back until Game 4.

That would mean he's got a 7 week injury - which he could have.

But he's been seen walking around at practice with just a compression sleeve on his leg, not a brace.  That MIGHT imply it's a grade 1 sprain, which I've had, and it was more like 4 weeks until I was back at it.

1 minute ago, 17islongenough said:

Why is everyone shocked by Hollister?  I thought everyone knew that this was possible to cut and then sign him back. 

BBFS. We are not used to having nice things. When one is released, it feels traumatic.

Just now, Virgil said:

Hollister makes zero sense to me as a cut.  I honestly thought he could push Knox for the starting job.  Why not keep him as the primary backup is beyond me. 

Looking like one of those that gets re-signed though. But if not for some reason then yeah, would be disappointing. 

Just now, Virgil said:

Hollister makes zero sense to me as a cut.  I honestly thought he could push Knox for the starting job.  Why not keep him as the primary backup is beyond me. 

Highly likely he’s cut and brought back once we stash some guys on the IR. 

• Like (+1) 1