If we have to choose: McDermott or Daboll?

This is tough, like being asked to choose between Mickey or Apollo as your boxing trainer.

Mickey was real good, tough as hell and didn't mince his words. He also tried to stay healthy, eating fruit during his training sessions. But then Apollo had some new ideas and put more more emphasis on speed (all Mickey had in that regard was some chicken chasing). 

Hmmm, all said I think I'll go for Apollo as the man could pull off a crop top like no one else

557094d907c6ed36868c6e3e7008c474.png

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Billyboy said:

This is a no brainer, Daboll.  When McDermott came he was a DEFENSIVE coach.  Since he's been here the defense slowly got WORSE.   When Daboll came he inherited the WORSE offense in the NFL.  Now they have a top 3 offense.  

The defense was #2 in the league just two years ago 

7 minutes ago, CNY315 said:

The defense was #2 in the league just two years ago 

It went from 19th in Rex's last year to 26th in McDermott's first year to then 2nd in 2018 and 3rd in 2019 to 14th in 2020. So it has been "worse" than the defense he inherited once, his first year here. Since then they have had two outstanding years and one above average one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD after Daboll departs for a HC gig..........Ok Mr Beane break out the list we have been compiling and lets start the process :)

Coach McD ain't going no where :)

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

This is tough, like being asked to choose between Mickey or Apollo as your boxing trainer.

Mickey was real good, tough as hell and didn't mince his words. He also tried to stay healthy, eating fruit during his training sessions. But then Apollo had some new ideas and put more more emphasis on speed (all Mickey had in that regard was some chicken chasing). 

Hmmm, all said I think I'll go for Apollo as the man could pull off a crop top like no one else

557094d907c6ed36868c6e3e7008c474.png

Daboll cannot and should not ever try to pull of that look ;)

9 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Too bad we don’t get draft picks for white coaches being promoted to other teams, along with POC’s...it would kind of soften the blow imo...

He could do black face like our illustrious Prime Minister Justin Idiot Trudeau ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

If we have to choose between the OP and an in & out burger 🍔 we should choose the in & out burger every time, it is after all the the only correct choice. 

McDermott is obviously the HC and leader of men on this team. He and Beane also have a great relationship and work well in tandem with one another. Daboll is a great OC to have in our stable, but the contingency is already in place for when he leaves with the added responsibility given to Dorsey. Dorsey will step right into the OC position when Daboll finally gets his shot. Also, at that point, Josh will have been in the same offense for at least 4 years. The mental mastery for the concepts we run will be there and he will be working hand in hand with the OC to coordinate what we see on the field. McDermott isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

Judging by all the Disagree, Thumbs Down, Ha Ha's and Vomit emojis on your post I would assume you have your answer.

I don't want to see Daboll leave either. He's by far the best OC this team has seen since Marchibroda. 

He's earned the opportunity to have his own team and he's gonna have plenty of suitors at seasons end. 

You think the Pats ever thought, hmmm. Belicheck or Weis? 

While Daboll is the OC, it's not his offense it is the Bills' offense. The playbook doesn't leave with Daboll. The play calling does. However, with analytics as sophisticated as they are today, you can analyze that stuff. They can keep the same playbook. And of course presuming Allen continues to be one of the top QBs there's no reason to change it. 

The continuity with potentially Dorsey and maybe even at some point Tierney is important. They can still run the same offense and probably have a good feel for what works best. 

There are lots of examples of really good coordinators hitting their ceiling as OC or DC and not being good head coaches. We know McDermott is a very good HC, we have no idea if Daboll will be or not. He deserves the chance but you still don't know. 

McDermott all the way.

11 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

I don't ask this question lightly. This may be also be the first or second OP I have posted.

McDermott has obviously brought this team together and his relationship with Beane is amazing. That being said, is Daboll and his offensive system seem more important than McDermott and his, both, defensive skills and HC acumen to the Bills long term. Impulsively. 

I want to assume and fully expect the Bills to let Daboll walk into a new HC job with Tribisky as his QB and we will fill that OC gap with someone, but this offense is humming. Like a well tuned classic car.

Are we confident that we can survive Daboll's absence?

This actually reads better than I expected it to...Vodka!!

Obviously you already had too much vodka to ask this question.  I am sure we can survive your absence

Hey mods, the passive aggressive morons are back out.  Guys that are fans of other teams, but pretend to be Bills fans and then do everything they can to get a rise. Last year as you guys know they create 8 persons and talk to themselves.

I don’t relish you’re work, but trust you guys.  It’s one thing for a silly take.  That’s understandable for a newbie who really is a bills fan or even a respectful self admitted fan of another team.  

It’s another when the crud we deal the with last year is propping up.  God it must suck to be a jets and pats fan now.  You must absolutely hate you’re future.

I know I don’t go to their boards as I don’t care about them.  Wish them well being 2nd-4th, not making the playoffs, but beyond could care less what they write on their boards.  Irrelevant as they will be for awhile.

I take McDermott because I think that his culture might be more impressive than our offense.  Though, think those giving the OP a hard time about this are being a bit harsh.  

Think falcons fans were talking about who they’d rather keep, Dan Quinn or Kyle Shanahan?  McD is obviously better than Quinn (imo), but Atlanta got to the super bowl on the back of Shanahans offense.  I told my falcons fan buddy that they should fire Quinn after the SB loss and name shanahan HC so they don’t lose him.  Tough call to make as a GM.  Not an enviable position to be in as a decision maker, but sometimes drastic decisions must be made in order to keep the train on the tracks.  I don’t think Beanes situation is similar.  McD seems to be a great coach.  Daboll seems to be an incredible pass game coordinator.  Hopefully Dorsey is a sponge. He’ll have huge shoes to fill

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting that Daboll now has so many supporters.  I clearly remember when McD first hired Dabs, lots of folks were pissed.  Daboll had failed as an OC in Cleveland, Miami, and KC.   Many wailed, "Why are we bringing in this retread?  We can do better!"

If nothing else, McD deserves credit for seeing the talent in Daboll that wasn't obvious in his spotty resume.  

But I do think there is something else at play.  Here, Beane's given Daboll a franchise QB and some great wideouts to work with.  And McD has created a culture and implemented a 'process' that optimizes the performance of both his coaches and players.  

Daboll didn't create this high-flying offense on his own.  Just like it takes teamwork on the field to win, it takes a team off the field to build a championship franchise.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I take McDermott because I think that his culture might be more impressive than our offense.  Though, think those giving the OP a hard time about this are being a bit harsh.  

Think falcons fans were talking about who they’d rather keep, Dan Quinn or Kyle Shanahan?  McD is obviously better than Quinn (imo), but Atlanta got to the super bowl on the back of Shanahans offense.  I told my falcons fan buddy that they should fire Quinn after the SB loss and name shanahan HC so they don’t lose him.  Tough call to make as a GM.  Not an enviable position to be in as a decision maker, but sometimes drastic decisions must be made in order to keep the train on the tracks.  I don’t think Beanes situation is similar.  McD seems to be a great coach.  Daboll seems to be an incredible pass game coordinator.  Hopefully Dorsey is a sponge. He’ll have huge shoes to fill

We are being harsh? Perhaps not enough.

What was Daboll before the Bills? Who hired Daboll? Who put the culture in place to turn this organization around? Who convinced Brandon Beane to come to Buffalo? Because we have a good OC is NOT a reason to consider dumping the leader and architect.

I wouldn't trade McD for ANY coach right now. If pressed and I was forced to pick one, it would be Andy Reid.

• Agree 1

They're not going to fire a proven HC who just took the team to the AFCCG just so they can promote a hot OC who may or may not pan out as a HC. That's like letting a franchise QB go in his prime because you just drafted a great young QB.

But even if they entertained the idea, think about it from Daboll's perspective. What message does it send when the HC position is so tenuous that they'd let him walk in order to prevent a coordinator from leaving. Would you want to work for that organization?

Think of the big picture, man.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, foreboding said:

We are being harsh? Perhaps not enough.

What was Daboll before the Bills? Who hired Daboll? Who put the culture in place to turn this organization around? Who convinced Brandon Beane to come to Buffalo? Because we have a good OC is NOT a reason to consider dumping the leader and architect.

I wouldn't trade McD for ANY coach right now. If pressed and I was forced to pick one, it would be Andy Reid.

I wouldn’t trade McD for any coach either.  That doesn’t mean it’s definitely the correct move.  In hindsight, I’m confidant that there have been several teams that wished they would have promoted their OC to HC.  I’m not saying that this is one of those situations, but Dabolls passing offense has been incredible.  Or is that all because of Josh?  Is Daboll a mirage?  The answer is probably somewhere in the middle but we won’t have any answers until Daboll is coaching elsewhere 

I recall quite a few of us ready to 'tar and feather' Daboll when he and JA had an animated sideline discussion a couple of seasons ago.  I also recall our discussion on where in the stadium he should be.

DABOLL IN THE BOOTH!

DABOLL IN THE BOOTH!

DABOLL IN THE BOOTH!

Now, do you suppose he came to all his improvements by himself, or did Coach McDermott help guide refinements?

For all the above, I think for the purposes of this exercise has me waving goodbye to Daboll.

• Agree 1

Okay, I'll address the OP's hypothetical instead of crapping on him and calling him a troll:  If we have to choose, I take McDermott.  He has 4 years of actual head coaching experience and made the playoffs in 3 of 4 years, including winning our first AFC East championship in 25 years and leading us to an AFC Championship game.  He also led us to the playoffs without Daboll and with Tyrod Taylor as our quarterback. 

I love the growth I've seen from Daboll (and Allen) over the past three years, but Daboll has 1 really great season out of many as an NFL offensive coordinator.  Guys seem to love him and I'll be sad to see him leave, but I don't see any reason to believe he would be an upgrade over McDermott at the HC position.

This shouldn't be a question.  You have one guy who is 38-26 as a Head Coach, who has the Bills in the Playoffs 3 of 4 years, and the other guy who has never been a Head Coach before.   It's that simple, and its McDermott everytime.    Daboll is a great coordinator, but you just dont know how he is going to be as a head coach.

The comparison is akin to trading Allen away for the 1st overall pick because you think the guy coming out of college will be better them him.   Problem solving 101, make the choice where you have to make the least amount of assumptions.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

They're not going to fire a proven HC who just took the team to the AFCCG just so they can promote a hot OC who may or may not pan out as a HC. That's like letting a franchise QB go in his prime because you just drafted a great young QB.

But even if they entertained the idea, think about it from Daboll's perspective. What message does it send when the HC position is so tenuous that they'd let him walk in order to prevent a coordinator from leaving. Would you want to work for that organization?

Think of the big picture, man.

This.  Frankly, I think it took Daboll a couple of years to grow into the OC position and the growth, at least last season-and-a-half, involved booting his ass off of the sidelines and kicking him upstairs where he was a bit less emotionally involved in the previous play and better able to reset and move on, especially early on when his hard-headed young QB might be ignoring his instructions at times or failing to recognize patterns and answers he should have been seeing.  It involved changes in his approach to/treatment of players.

The jury is out on whether Daboll will be a great HC or not, but I wouldn't bet against there being a transition and growth period needed.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

This shouldn't be a question.  You have one guy who is 38-26 as a Head Coach, who has the Bills in the Playoffs 3 of 4 years, and the other guy who has never been a Head Coach before.   It's that simple, and its McDermott everytime.    Daboll is a great coordinator, but you just dont know how he is going to be as a head coach.

The comparison is akin to trading Allen away for the 1st overall pick because you think the guy coming out of college will be better them him.   Problem solving 101, make the choice where you have to make the least amount of assumptions.

Agreed.  The Bills got into the playoffs 2 of those 3 times primarily on the strength of the defense, once on the strength of Daboll's offense.  

Would love to see both the D and O play playoff caliber football this year.  

• Agree 1

Easily McD, a head coach is the CEO of the team and right now McD has proven he can be the CEO of a pro team whereas Daboll has yet to prove that he can manage an organization. I would trust this front office and McD to find a new OC once Daboll is gone. I don’t think up ending the team to keep an assistant over a successful HC is possible but even in the hypothetical sense I would still pick McD.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Is this on? 'Cos it's about to be on!

The biggest reason the Bills have succeeded in the last 5 years is Sean McDermott. 

I think Beane is actually a bigger reason. Maybe 50-50. Leslie Frazier, with Daboll and this roster is probably pretty close to the same record/team.

• Disagree 1

12 hours ago, Billyboy said:

Bill Belichick! The best in the business.  No one else is even close. 

Only when he has Tom Brady at QB (and cheats).  When he doesn't, his record is worse than Rex Ryan's.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think Beane is actually a bigger reason. Maybe 50-50. Leslie Frazier, with Daboll and this roster is probably pretty close to the same record/team.

Beane is only here because of McDermott. He doesn't make a single move without McDermott's authority. This is, was and always will be Sean's show.

15 hours ago, Billyboy said:

This is a no brainer, Daboll.  When McDermott came he was a DEFENSIVE coach.  Since he's been here the defense slowly got WORSE.   When Daboll came he inherited the WORSE offense in the NFL.  Now they have a top 3 offense.  

A defense coach who had the brains to understand he would rather score points than to win games 7-3 like his predecessor