Xavien Howard holding out

5 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

any disarray within the Fins is always welcome.

that said, holding out after the first year of a long extension is the new NFL, I guess. Makes Gilmore look like a saint.

Totally agree on Phins disarray.  This is a considerably different situation than Gilmore’s too.  Howard is a top CB, but he’s being paid like one and just got a big 5 year contract extension that started a year ago.  It really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

He's going into the second year of his deal. 

The 2nd year of a very lucrative deal that made him the highest paid CB in the league (at the time).

It would be one thing if he signed a deal that he vastly outperformed, but that's not what's happening here at all. I'd be pissed if a Bills player did this 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

so far re-negotiating or re-re-negotiating as is the case with X Howard (says he has out-played contract based on league-leading 10 picks most since 2007) has not been an issue with Bills players (so far)..another nod to the front office and the players (and agents)...

4 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The 2nd year of a very lucrative deal that made him the highest paid CB in the league (at the time).

It would be one thing if he signed a deal that he vastly outperformed, but that's not what's happening here at all. I'd be pissed if a Bills player did this 

This is beautiful that is happening to them, though a guy like him might want to be careful about becoming a malcontent when he will still be a top 10 paid CB.

I actually don't blame Howard here. The fins in the last few years have signed guys to big deals and cut/traded them a year later. I said when they cut Van Noy and Lawson after giving them 4 year deals that players won't trust the FO anymore and will hold out or want more guarantees in their contracts. Its why I think Flores style is gonna get old quick, especially if Tua doesn't pan out

Holding out 1 year into a 5 year deal isn't great, but I understand the position of the player, given the recent FO moves lately.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2

Having good instincts and anticipation play a big role, but it's been really noticeable to me over the past couple years how many gimme INTs Xavien Howard and Minkah Fitzpatrick have gotten. Every batted pass or tipped ball seems to find them.

They're both great players, but I bet the analytics would show they've been on the right side of an unusual amount of luck as well. 

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Nothing to see here. Players have been angling to get out of training camp for decades.

The team will levy fines for missing mandatory stuff, then rescind them when he shows up. Happens every year.

New agreement in place - the teams are no longer allowed to rescind fines.  It is part of the reason GB cancelled minicamp.  If the fined Rodgers for not showing up - they couldn’t take it away and if the decided not to fine him - they couldn’t fine any other players that skipped and some players were talking about skipping in support of Rodgers.

They were in a no win - so the best way to avoid it was to cancel mandatory minicamp.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Nothing to see here. Players have been angling to get out of training camp for decades.

The team will levy fines for missing mandatory stuff, then rescind them when he shows up. Happens every year.

New agreement does not allow teams to rescind fines.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Interesting.  Reminds me of when the Bills wouldn't renegotiate Jason Peters' contract one year after giving him a raise.  How did that end again?

Good thing about that is that agent, who pulled a lot of stuff like that with Bills, is taking a dirt nap.

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I actually don't blame Howard here. The fins in the last few years have signed guys to big deals and cut/traded them a year later. I said when they cut Van Noy and Lawson after giving them 4 year deals that players won't trust the FO anymore and will hold out or want more guarantees in their contracts. Its why I think Flores style is gonna get old quick, especially if Tua doesn't pan out

Holding out 1 year into a 5 year deal isn't great, but I understand the position of the player, given the recent FO moves lately.

Looks like a lot of this nonsense is really becoming a trend with Miami.  After the first year, when everyone was so high on Flores for coaxing a few wins out of a talentless team, their personnel practices seems to be wearing real thin with their actual personnel.  If they regress back to a 7 win team this year, it's definitely a possibility that he doesn't see year 4 of his contract.  

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Interesting.  Reminds me of when the Bills wouldn't renegotiate Jason Peters' contract one year after giving him a raise.  How did that end again?

Not that I approved of Peters holdout, but in his defense, he signed that contract as a RT and the Bills moved him to LT soon after the signing. He was grossly underpaid for a star LT. 

Howard did not move positions and is still being fairly compensated for being a star CB. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not that I approved of Peters holdout, but in his defense, he signed that contract as a RT and the Bills moved him to LT soon after the signing. He was grossly underpaid for a star LT. 

Howard did not move positions and is still being fairly compensated for being a star CB. 

Would he or his agent offer a pay cut if he was moved from LT to RT?  No.

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Anddddddd this is why i come here. Great post.  I dont neccesarily agree with his holdout, but in context, it makes a hella lot more sense.  That said, i hope they pay him just to hurt their pockets!

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, Kwai San said:

****** em ALL!!!!

Agreed but him without K-Y jelly !!! 

23 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Totally agree on Phins disarray.  This is a considerably different situation than Gilmore’s too.  Howard is a top CB, but he’s being paid like one and just got a big 5 year contract extension that started a year ago.  It really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Hope they trade him to the Jaguars 

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anddddddd this is why i come here. Great post.  I dont neccesarily agree with his holdout, but in context, it makes a hella lot more sense.  That said, i hope they pay him just to hurt their pockets!

Agree with you, the context helps make sense of this move.  Still ridiculous but great to see it play out in Miami.  I do disagree with your last line though, I hope he sits out- just more disarray and it makes the team worse.  Josh should have a field day (again).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Agree with you, the context helps make sense of this move.  Still ridiculous but great to see it play out in Miami.  I do disagree with your last line though, I hope he sits out- just more disarray and it makes the team worse.  Josh should have a field day (again).

Sit out or get a hefty raise, is a win win of sorts. I was leaning towards the raise because there's no way he gets 10picks again!

It seems ridiculous that he would hold out until you realize that his teammate Byron Jones is making more money than him and Jones was complete doodoo last year and Howard led the league in interceptions. The main weakness of their GM Grier has been free agent signings and I think their signing of Byron Jones is really biting them in the butt.