Xavien Howard holding out

19 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Graves are cold and that agent used contract from one player, refusing to discuss it, until Bills handled any contract first.

That is unprofessional.

The clients of his that he was hurting with that tactic should’ve fired him immediately.  Did any actually do that?

On 6/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

I actually don't blame Howard here. The fins in the last few years have signed guys to big deals and cut/traded them a year later. I said when they cut Van Noy and Lawson after giving them 4 year deals that players won't trust the FO anymore and will hold out or want more guarantees in their contracts. Its why I think Flores style is gonna get old quick, especially if Tua doesn't pan out

Holding out 1 year into a 5 year deal isn't great, but I understand the position of the player, given the recent FO moves lately.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but what's his endgame? Why not just ask for a trade if your soured on the team as a whole.

Year 2 of a 5 year deal is a silly time to hold out. Unless of course he just wants out of town but don't want to ask.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not that I approved of Peters holdout, but in his defense, he signed that contract as a RT and the Bills moved him to LT soon after the signing. He was grossly underpaid for a star LT. 

And in the Bills defense, they are the team that gave a chance to an undrafted TE, and had Mouse McNally develop him from a Special Teams player, to Right Tackle, to Left Tackle. There should have been some patience there from the Peters camp after everything the Bills did for him. He was in year 2 of a fresh 5 year deal. I think if he would have waited until year 3, things may have gone differently.

And this is coming from someone who is all for the players getting as much money as they can, whenever they can.

CBS Pick Six discussion (Xavien bad, you just signed a contract a year ago.) 

The minicamp updates continue as Cody Benjamin joins Will Brinson to break down the most pressing news from Tuesday. And while we must admit we shouldn't put too much stock into June practice, it was eye-catching to see that Tua Tagovailoa threw 5 interceptions (4:00). What are we expecting out of the 2nd-year QB? None of those picks went to Xavien Howard and that's because the All Pro corner is skipping out on minicamp for the Dolphins as he aims for a new contract (10:45). 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/pick-six-nfl/id1263289980

On 6/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, BarleyNY said:

Totally agree on Phins disarray.  This is a considerably different situation than Gilmore’s too.  Howard is a top CB, but he’s being paid like one and just got a big 5 year contract extension that started a year ago.  It really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Guess he thinks he got a raw deal. He should blame his agent, not the team. With that said hope this gets ugly for the fins. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Guess he thinks he got a raw deal. He should blame his agent, not the team. With that said hope this gets ugly for the fins. 

I do think the Phins f-ed this up too.  They gave a better contract to Byron Jones, who is not nearly as good as Xavien Howard.  I get why Howard would be upset.  Still, he has very little leverage with so much of his contract still to go. 

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I do think the Phins f-ed this up too.  They gave a better contract to Byron Jones, who is not nearly as good as Xavien Howard.  I get why Howard would be upset.  Still, he has very little leverage with so much of his contract still to go. 

Prior to last year, Jones was viewed as the better corner which is why he got paid the way that he did. They didn't mess it up. Jones had issues adjusting to Miami's defense just like Xavien struggled in Flores' first year.

On 6/15/2021 at 3:15 PM, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Having good instincts and anticipation play a big role, but it's been really noticeable to me over the past couple years how many gimme INTs Xavien Howard and Minkah Fitzpatrick have gotten. Every batted pass or tipped ball seems to find them.

They're both great players, but I bet the analytics would show they've been on the right side of an unusual amount of luck as well. 

Where's your research to back this claim up? Xavien got 10 INTs because he played his butt off. There was maybe one tipped or batted pass that led to an INT. Crazy thing is he could have had 3-4 more INTs.

https://youtu.be/DI2PyzOW9n8

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Really? he has 3 last year... you know who else had 3?

Wallace

White

I would call X normal

https://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/defensive-pass-interference?year=2020&view=players

I came to that assessment after watching the Mia/Ari game. He actually had 4, one call was declined. Also had 2 Holding calls, a facemask and a DQ. I never thought he was as good as many thought, same with Byron Jones. Overrated tandem IMO. 

52 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I came to that assessment after watching the Mia/Ari game. He actually had 4, one call was declined. Also had 2 Holding calls, a facemask and a DQ. I never thought he was as good as many thought, same with Byron Jones. Overrated tandem IMO. 

The man had 6 penalties all season. Are you arguing that that's the worst part of his game???

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

yep and that was it. one game.