Is Beane all but done with FA?

Curious what TBD thinks Beane is up to.

I still hope that as money dries up he can still sign someone who can make an impact.

Although I'm starting to feel that other than some guys to compete for depth that Brandon might be done.

I can also talk myself into a scenario that since everyone is pretty quite in the whole league the last few days that another wave

of FA signings could start and Beane will be part of it.

He can tweek a few contracts and get some cap money but he may be true to his word and not want to do too much with that.

He will value shop and create cap if he needs it if we connect with a more expensive player that make sense for us. 

Edit:  Actually @Reed83HOF mentioned that Tre & Dawkins had restructure option clauses in their contracts but they had a window of a few days.  That window has passed so I’d wager that they were executed and that we have more cap space than what OTC and Spotrac can verify.  They wouldn’t want to broadcast the fact that they have the extra cap space for negotiation purposes so it’ll only come out if and when they need it. 

Edit 2: Spotrac has us with negative cap space and does not yet have Feliciano’s contract accounted for.  They Bills have certainly executed those clauses and/or made room elsewhere.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was really hoping to add a difference maker on defense like a pass rusher. Upgrading CB2 would've been nice as well. 

But it seems most of the focus in FA was to retain our own guys which I don't have a problem with since they're the group that got us to the AFCCG. Cap space is really hurting us, especially with Josh and Tremaine coming up. 

We have no cap space so I don't foresee any other big moves. Beane isn't like most GMs, he doesn't restructure contracts to kick the can down the road. The only other big move this offseason is going to be Allen's extension. He needs to conserve cap space for next year to make sure that is possible.

I expect a few more one year deals after current FA’s finish testing the market or Post Draft/June 1st cuts.  

At this point, I expect it to be a DB or Pass Rusher.  The draft will be all BPA. 

My guess is DB in the 1st

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I was really hoping to add a difference maker on defense like a pass rusher. Upgrading CB2 would've been nice as well. 

But it seems most of the focus in FA was to retain our own guys which I don't have a problem with since they're the group that got us to the AFCCG. Cap space is really hurting us, especially with Josh and Tremaine coming up. 

you have the draft coming up and see what they draft in the first few rounds who can step in snd play.

Then you have the June cap cuts

i know it’s rare, but post draft could you sera player for player trade

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I expect a few more one year deals after current FA’s finish testing the market or Post Draft/June 1st cuts.  

At this point, I expect it to be a DB or Pass Rusher.  The draft will be all BPA. 

I agree.  There will be a few more deals.  There always are with Beane.   He will add some veterans, some of whom will make the team, some of whom will get cut.  

And he will surprise us with the positions.  Just like the Trubisky surprise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

unless a top 15 falls I expect buffalo to possibly trade down to a top half 2nd and a late 3rd/early 4th

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  There will be a few more deals.  There always are with Beane.   He will add some veterans, some of whom will make the team, some of whom will get cut.  

And he will surprise us with the positions.  Just like the Trubisky surprise. 

I wasn’t all that surprised in Trube signing .  Thry needed a better back up and he needed to take a step back

• Eyeroll 1

56 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

He will value shop and create cap if he needs it if we connect with a more expensive player that make sense for us. 

Edit:  Actually @Reed83HOF mentioned that Tre & Dawkins had restructure option clauses in their contracts but they had a window of a few days.  That window has passed so I’d wager that they were executed and that we have more cap space than what OTC and Spotrac can verify.  They wouldn’t want to broadcast the fact that they have the extra cap space for negotiation purposes so it’ll only come out if and when they need it. 

Edit 2: Spotrac has us with negative cap space and does not yet have Feliciano’s contract accounted for.  They Bills have certainly executed those clauses and/or made room elsewhere.

Tre and Dawkins both still have some slack in their contracts to play with if necessary.

But those option bonuses won't have any effect at all. They're already accounted for in Spotrac and OTC's figures. (If you want to check that, look at the Spotrac tables for Dawkins and Tre and check for a column called "Option Bonuses." They're already accounted for across the life of the contracts.)

I could see him re-structuring one more guy if/when they need space. I doubt we'll see much more than that, myself.

As for the original question, he'll still be looking, but they'll be smaller moves, I think. He'll want to do as he usually does and try to fill every outright hole (McKenzie or a replacement, for instance) with someone so he's not forced to pick by position to fill a void.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Curious what TBD thinks Beane is up to.

I still hope that as money dries up he can still sign someone who can make an impact.

Although I'm starting to feel that other than some guys to compete for depth that Brandon might be done.

I can also talk myself into a scenario that since everyone is pretty quite in the whole league the last few days that another wave

of FA signings could start and Beane will be part of it.

He can tweek a few contracts and get some cap money but he may be true to his word and not want to do too much with that.

You hacking TBD accounts there Roseman? 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

I think he's still looking in FA. 

Tre and Dawkins both still have some slack in their contracts to play with if necessary.

But those option bonuses won't have any effect at all. They're already accounted for in Spotrac and OTC's figures.

The restructure option clauses I’m talking about just convert some of this season’s salary to a signing bonus, which would be paid upon execution.  Looking closer I see that for Tre it’s $7.5M and the window closes today.  That will clear $6M this season and move it out. Link

Dawkins also has $7.5M that can be converted by today.  It will clear $5.6M.  It’s less because it will be spread over 4 years instead of 5 like Tre’s.  Link

• Thank you (+1) 1

There are going to be some really quality players left in free agency after the draft. Teams have limited space, they’re hoping to get their guys in the draft. Going to be tough for some guys to get jobs this year. Once the draft hits you’ll see some movement with some of these vets taking cheaper deals in fear of missing the season. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The Bills weren't good enough last year to beat the Kansas City Chiefs.  It was painfully clear in both matchups.

If we are going to have a prayer at winning the Super Bowl in 2021, they are clearly the next hurdle. 

Thus far, the Bills have made zero upgrades to the starting roster.  Nothing to improve the pass rush.  Nothing to improve the run defense.  Nothing to improve our coverage on the back end.  If the season started today, we might as well concede the AFC to Kansas City.  Sorry for the brutal honestly.  But we aren't good enough to beat them.

Smart teams build through the draft.  But it would be foolish to expect a massive impact from the incoming class.  Look at what we got from A.J. Epenesa last year.  Or Ed Oliver as a rookie.  It takes years for these guys to be come good NFL players.  

As I said in another thread, I applaud Brandon Beane for being patient and not splurging on the first wave of free agency.  But if he's just going to throw up the white flag and say "sorry, no cap space"... then he is basically content with another season as the runner-up in the AFC and punting the 2021 season away. 

I'm not in favor of "kicking the can down the road" - so I would be against moves like restructuring Jerry Hughes.  But others have pointed out that by simply restructuring Stephon Diggs (who will inevitably get a new contract anyway), we can easily clear $8-10 million in space.  This is a player we should plan on keeping for many more years, so it's not mortgaging the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

I don’t expect much more at all.  Maybe a vet minimum deal for a year that’s about it.  On to the draft. 

This^^^ Keep in mind that resigning your own is a philosophy the Bills follow. Given the limited cap space the Bills had this year they have done a very good job. They have also leaked that they will be working on signing JA to a lock up contract following the draft.

To the OP what else where you expecting?

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

This is where I am...at least I hope it's the case.

I could see us getting Dunlap if he’s cheap enough. Maybe a CB on that level as well. Couple guys to add depth and rotate with our other vets.

Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Dunlap, Johnson at edge could be a good underrated group. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

We have no cap space so I don't foresee any other big moves. Beane isn't like most GMs, he doesn't restructure contracts to kick the can down the road. The only other big move this offseason is going to be Allen's extension. He needs to conserve cap space for next year to make sure that is possible.

This is so true. Other than 1-2 small signings, FA is over for Buffalo. Now we need a killer draft.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Don't assume that restructure  info has to "be kept secret"

Beane is never done...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Beane is never done...

He may not want to be but the cap money says he’s pretty much done.  The dream restructures people are hoping for probably won’t happen.  Beane said he doesn’t really want to do that.