Cam Newton - “Mentally tough”

RunTheBall

He is a narcissist. He thinks he is the best player to ever grace the game of football. He blames everyone but himself.

And if he doesn't get a job next year I'm sure he'll say that the NFL is racist, regardless of the fact that he has thrown twice as many INT's as he has TD's.

The sad thing is I used to like him until I got to know what kind of person he is and how full of himself he is. Now I can't stand him.

• Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

He is a narcissist. He thinks he is the best player to ever grace the game of football. He blames everyone but himself.

And if he doesn't get a job next year I'm sure he'll say that the NFL is racist, regardless of the fact that he has thrown twice as many INT's as he has TD's.

The sad thing is I used to like him until I got to know what kind of person he is and how full of himself he is. Now I can't stand him.

Unlikeable football player.

Unlikeable human being.

He is the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Besides his arm looking shot on the the field, he looked like a deer in the headlights on the sideline the other night too.  Whether by his choice or not, thinking he knows it’s close to his time in the league being over.

You can bet Belichick/McDaniels know it too and they also know Stidham is not the answer - expect the Pats to draft a QB in the 1st round

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why do you think he’ll claim racism given that he’s never done such a thing in his career? Hmm.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, Looper said:

You can bet Belichick/McDaniels know it too and they also know Stidham is not the answer - expect the Pats to draft a QB in the 1st round

They should have known Stidham wasn't the answer last year after watching him all season in practices and in the limited (because he sucked) game action he got.  Yet they still went into the season with him projected to be their starter.  And I just can't believe that they planned on Cam being available until July and him agreeing to accept just $1M to play for them.

And right now they're picking 15th (assuming WTF wins the NFC Least, otherwise it's likely 16th).  That's too low to get one of the top guys and trading-up higher to get one of the non-Lawrence guys, who are a huge drop-off, will cost them. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Bottom line is he’s not good.  Teams can put up with the craziness if he’s performing.  He never made the transition to a pocket QB.  He still thought he was more power running back than QB.  Josh would’ve suffered same fate but his transformation this year into a passing QB has been almost miraculous.  Cam never thought he had to change.  The MVP and super bowl appearance were fool’s gold.  

I think Cam is shot too.

But for the record, Cam had almost 2000 more passing yards in his first three years than Josh does. He was a great QB and always was a better pocket passer than people gave him credit. Far better than most QBs with his athletic ability. A league MVP. And the refs and his coaches let him get killed. 

I didn't see him being as good as he was coming out of Auburn. I didn't understand those that wanted Bills to draft him. But he turned out to be a great QB for a period of time. He carried that Carolina team. He has zero talent around him in New England and they still won 6 games.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They should have known Stidham wasn't the answer last year after watching him all season in practices and in the limited (because he sucked) game action he got.  Yet they still went into the season with him projected to be their starter.

They didn't know and they projected him as more than a starter.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/06/10/and-the-best-qb-in-the-afc-east-is-jarrett-stidham-of-the-patriots/

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Why do you think he’ll claim racism given that he’s never done such a thing in his career? Hmm.

Because he is convinced he is a great player and will be looking for things to blame.

He was a really good player in 2015. He's been washed since the TJ Watt hit on his throwing shoulder.

I've never liked his narcissism.

I remember watching Panthers in the All or Nothing series. In the episode where he was meeting new owner Tepper, after successive seasons lost to injury. He was clowning and being overfamiliar, as if he owned the place. Tepper just passively looked at him with those merchant banker shark eyes. Next season he was gone.

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

They should have known Stidham wasn't the answer last year after watching him all season in practices and in the limited (because he sucked) game action he got.  Yet they still went into the season with him projected to be their starter.  And I just can't believe that they planned on Cam being available until July and him agreeing to accept just $1M to play for them.

And right now they're picking 15th (assuming WTF wins the NFC Least, otherwise it's likely 16th).  That's too low to get one of the top guys and trading-up higher to get one of the non-Lawrence guys, who are a huge drop-off, will cost them. 

You may be right about the draft although they could move up a spot or two if they lose to the Jets. Quite a few teams ahead of them that need QBs as well, although they might have a shot at Lance or Wilson. Walter has them taking Wilson @ #14. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I didn’t read the story because I hate him more than Ed Oliver does. He’s a mental midget and I doubt he’ll ever play another game after tomorrow. jmo.

"Mental midget" is harsh. He's not stupid.  I'd say he's self-absorbed and almost delusional, which as his abilities erode, make him more and more an ass clown.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Well if  they didn't know, that's a bad sign for them.   And good for the Bills.

2 minutes ago, Looper said:

You may be right about the draft although they could move up a spot or two if they lose to the Jets. Quite a few teams ahead of them that need QBs as well, although they might have a shot at Lance or Wilson. Walter has them taking Wilson @ #14. 

True they'll move-up several spots if they lose to the Jets, but how embarrassing would that be for Belicheat? :lol:

As for Wilson, no way he lasts that long.

53 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

They didn't know and they projected him as more than a starter.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/06/10/and-the-best-qb-in-the-afc-east-is-jarrett-stidham-of-the-patriots/

It is truly hilarious in retrospect to see how completely Bahstahn writers bought into the idea that Josh was Bobby Douglass....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

That’s a pretty rough take but I’d have to agree with some of your points.

He definitely did succeed in large part because of his physical attributes and his competitiveness.  Now that he has been hampered with injuries and Father Time his bad mechanics are no longer hidden by those great attributes he had.

He could serve as a backup QB but the question is will he want to retire as one?   His outsized personality makes it tough for me to believe he would accept being one but if he could mentally accept that and decide to contribute as one then he could be an asset, as a backup.

yup. doesn't seem to have the humility as mike vick eventually did. that is what he needs to try to be at this point. 

I hate Cam always have. But let's not forget he was throwing the rock to grocery baggers all season. Is he a good QB? NOPE. Is he at bad as he looked this season? I'm not so sure sure to nothing on offense. All that said I'm happy him and the Pats looked the way they did all season.

1 hour ago, Man with No Name said:

yup. doesn't seem to have the humility as mike vick eventually did. that is what he needs to try to be at this point. 

I think he does and to be honest this was by far the worst supporting cast Cam Newton has ever played with IMO.

Myself personally,  this season under B B changed Cam into a more humble person and a better leader of men IMO. Despite the losing season. Newton has some mechanical issues that need to be addressed IMO. A younger Newton could arm throws into tight windows. Now, not so much IMO. Cam needs to use better throwing mechanics to reach higher velocity and increased accuracy in my humble opinion.  

Edited by Figster

Cam Newton is suffering from the same ailment Tom Brady had in NE, no weaponry!! Everybody thought Brady lost it, now look at him. I think one Cam gets some type of offensive weapons around him, he can be an adequate QB in the league. Remember, Cam was never considered the most accurate QB in the league but was able to be dynamic and make plays

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

From reading all his quotes in the article, its hard to believe the Pats* ever signed him.  I'll just leave it at that.

CAm was a longshot for sure....but Bellicheck knows already that Stidham cna't play........so he had to do something.  Look for the Pats to add a couple of  QB's this off season.

9 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

CAm was a longshot for sure....but Bellicheck knows already that Stidham cna't play........so he had to do something.  Look for the Pats to add a couple of  QB's this off season.

Add a couple of QB's and I might consider keeping Cam around another season. Cheap, good work ethic 

See what develops...

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

He'll be so busy shopping for babushkas that he won't have time to study the playbook.  With Cam Newton 2021 you're not getting the steak, you're getting the sizzle (off a burnt and dried out hamburger).

Geez.  I don't think it will get to a point where the pandemic is that bad.

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/31/in-2020-cam-newton-learned-hes-a-mentally-tough-sob/#comments

I don’t tend to start threads but I was browsing PFT and this little tidbit just blew my mind. I thought I’d share since there has been some discussion that Cam might be an option for backup QB for us next season.

In my opinion, I don’t want this clown anywhere near our franchise.

Besides the fact that I think he is an absolutely awful QB now, his absolute lack of self awareness is stunning. This whole article is a self congratulatory homage to how mentally tough he thinks he is because he’s had to persevere through one of the worst seasons I’ve seen a starting QB have in memory. There is zero acknowledgment that he’s even part of the problem. He spends more time discussing the difference in clothes he wears compared to Belichick. He has no chance of fixing his mechanical issues and becoming even a serviceable backup QB because he really doesn’t think he’s any part of the problem.

I think Cam was allowed to get away with horrible mechanics for his career because he was such a physical specimen he could overcome it with arm strength and escapability. Now that he’s older and injuries have taken their toll, his flaws are horribly exposed and its been obvious all year he can barely throw a football anymore. No thanks.

Combine that with a personality that is the exact opposite of “the process” and I can’t believe McBeane would let this guy west of Syracuse let alone in the building despite their familiarity with him.

Thank you so much for this post and the link.  The last paragrap was one the funniest things I’ve seen in a while.  From the insight into his steez being Polo Down v BB in hoodies, getting the stench of Patriotness on him and realizing it never comes off, I feel I know him just a little bit better.  My favorite though it the arbitrarily placed one word sentence that implies so much more than the 4 letters strung together:  Boom.  

Cam Newton is the Chaz Michael Michaels of pro football.