Chiefs now have 2 preseason games and a bye week

BisonMan

KC doesn’t need to win another game to get the #1 seed in the AFC.

They can treat the next 2 games like preseason matches before the first round bye. 

They can rest anyone they want for the next 3 weeks. That’s scary for everyone else. I really hope the Bills treat week 17 as a preseason game regardless of their seeding. They’ll want everyone healthy before trying to win 4 in a row in order to get Josh the T-shirt he wants! 😬

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

They can treat the next 2 games like preseason matches before the first round bye. 

They can rest anyone they want for the next 3 weeks. That’s scary for everyone else. I really hope the Bills treat week 17 as a preseason game regardless of their seeding. They’ll want everyone healthy before trying to win 4 in a row in order to get Josh the T-shirt he wants! 😬

Incorrect 

KC can lose the #1 seed with that attitude 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Um, I think if we win both & Pit wins both & KC loses both, we all end up 13-3 & we would be the top seed by virtue of a better conference record.  Admittedly, very slim but they haven't locked 1st seed yet.

This is still a possibility, but it's a bit more complicated.  We'd be tied on conference record and it would come down to strength of victory.  KC is currently ahead in SOV, a few games that other teams are playing would have to swing the right way for us to get ahead.  That's why we preferred a KC loss to NO instead of ATL.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, eSJayDee said:

Um, I think if we win both & Pit wins both & KC loses both, we all end up 13-3 & we would be the top seed by virtue of a better conference record.  Admittedly, very slim but they haven't locked 1st seed yet.

That ship sailed last week.  Actually if all three tied at 11-3, conference records would also be all tied at 10-2.  Not enough common games between all three so comes down to Strength of Victory which about 98% certain KC now has the edge.  IF KC had instead lost this week to Saints and final week to Chargers to still end up 13-3,  and 10-2 conference then we'd have come out on top based on Strength of Victory , but once they beat Saints, they now have the #1 overall regardless what anyone else does.

Basically losing to Saints would have hurt them more than losing to Atlanta.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

This is the thinking that brought legendary HOF HC Tony Dungy to 4 one and done playoff appearances (out of 7), despite loaded teams.

Champions never rest.

• Like (+1) 1

BTW, I’m not recommending the Chiefs purposely lose games or rest all starters completely. I think they can treat these like preseason games (for example: have healthy starters only play the first half). They’ll have a full bye week as well.

I’d happily have the Bills trade places with them!

They had a boatload of rust last year after a bye.  Maybe they won't get lucky this year. 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Anyone remember when the Jags were new to the league, and Denver had a similar layoff before they faced Jacksonville in the division round?

That goes back a ways - but teams can get rusty.  Here's hoping.

This.  They had it last year.  They should have lost divisional round. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BisonMan said:

There is a chance 0.1% that the Bills get the #1 seed.  The scenario is this:

• Bills win out
  • Steelers win out
  • KC loses out
  • Several of the teams that the Bills beat (including the Jets) win giving us a higher strength of victory
  • Several of the teams that KC beat lose giving them a lower strength of victory

I am still holding out hope, but not really.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is the thinking that brought legendary HOF HC Tony Dungy to 4 one and done playoff appearances (out of 7), despite loaded teams.

Champions never rest.

Exactly.  Do NFL fans actually watch the NFL?  Some TBD threads make ya wonder...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

Anyone remember when the Jags were new to the league, and Denver had a similar layoff before they faced Jacksonville in the division round?

It was the same year they beat the Bills in Buffalo (Kelly's last game as a Buffalo Bill) and then went to Denver and knocked out Elway before losing in the AFC Championship game.

9 hours ago, Success said:

Yes.  Thanks for bringing back the memory of how the Jags got to that game.  Mine as well reference the Titans losing to the Rams in the Super Bowl while you're at it.

I hope the time off gets them real rusty so the Bills can open up a 35-0 half time lead and coast to a 52-33 win;)

4 hours ago, Rochesterian Bills Fan said:

I've been chew on a fair few McRibs recently. Here is hoping that Mahomes discovers his love of said sandwich and turns into Andy Reid.

He(Mahomee) already has a bit of a gut ;)

7 hours ago, DJB said:

Yeah could you imagine if Andy Reid got fat? 

Remember that fan a few years ago that dressed up like him and sat behind the KC bench at the Ralph?

That guy was a dead ringer.

13 hours ago, BisonMan said:

Are you Nick Wright? He said he checks out the Bills message boards.

14 hours ago, Rew said:

This is still a possibility, but it's a bit more complicated.  We'd be tied on conference record and it would come down to strength of victory.  KC is currently ahead in SOV, a few games that other teams are playing would have to swing the right way for us to get ahead.  That's why we preferred a KC loss to NO instead of ATL.

On SV...as of now assuming both BUF and PIT WW and KC LL..all 3 teams are tied in wins of teams they beat as of now.

On 12/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, eSJayDee said:

Man, New Orleans F'd us.  However, if they aren't good enough to beat them then they aren't good enough to beat them.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

15 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

I'm as confident that the Steelers will not win 2 games as all the folks were that the Steelers wouldn't lose to the Bengals.

On 12/22/2020 at 8:06 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Champions never rest.

Exactly.  Rest anyone who is really hurt and don’t force them to play through it, but resting healthy talent is not smart.  McD should learn from that mistake last year.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, New Orleans F'd us.  However, if they aren't good enough o beat them then they aren't good enough to beat them.

Which means if we beat the Chiefs in the AFCC, then we would have an even better shot at winning the SB.  It’s most likely going to be New Orleans or GB.

• Like (+1) 1